View Full Version : Skyline Theater Closed

Patrick
04-05-2005, 02:37 AM
From downtownguy's blog, www.downtownguy.blogspot.com

"Sad Day for Downtown

For all of you who wonder why downtown doesn't have any comedy clubs, I can at last reveal who is holding us back.
Pick up the closest mirror... if you live here and never visited the Skyline Theater, you're looking at party deserving the blame.

I'll take some blame... I went a couple of times, loved it, and always talked about returning again with more friends, more family. I pushed the place a lot on this blog.

But when I finally checked in this week about getting some tickets, the windows were dark, the sign was gone.

Check my weblink, and you'll discover Skyline Theater is closed.
The location was pretty cool, in the old home of Carpenter Square at Hudson and Main.
It wasn't just any theater, it wasn't just any comedy club. The theater featured "clean comedy," nice spacious seating, a cool art deco style lobby and waiting area, and an operator who seemed to love downtown OKC.

The website says it all: closed, gone to Branson.

Instead of mourning this loss, do your best to support what we still have. Carpenter Square Theater and Stage Center down the street also offer quality plays and productions. But without your support, they too could disappear.

It's your choice Oklahoma City. The arts are a fragile existance where too few people are out trying to keep this city alive and vibrant.

In the near future, I'll do my part to better the showcase the downtown arts community.

- The Downtown Guy
www.downtownguy.blogspot.com"

Midtowner
04-05-2005, 07:06 AM
I didn't even know the Skyline was a comedy club. Everytime I've walked by (and I walk by fairly frequently), it seemed to have been some kind of music venue for highschool bands. I do visit a comedy club called the Looney Bin out on Rockwell and NW Expressway from time to time. They do an excellent business tucked into the back of that shopping center. They do no marketing, yet pack the house in every time I'm there.

I think they'd be a candidate to move to Bricktown, but as successful as they are, I couldn't see why they would. All I know is that I think it'd be great to offer tourists some quality entertainment venues in Bricktown. Besides the movie theater.

Patrick
04-06-2005, 12:16 AM
I agree...we need to offer tourists more in Bricktown besides dinner and a movie. Sure, we have the Civic Center and performances there, but they are only so often and cater more to locals. We need for arts performances geared for tourists.
The more we diversify the attractions and offerings in Bricktown, the better.

Keith and I actually once proposed a mini golf course as part of the park like settting on the south canal. Unfortunately, no one liked the idea. I still think Bricktown Lanes in one of the old Stewart Company Buildings would be nice.