View Full Version : One Silver Place Closing

OKCTalker
09-26-2011, 03:32 AM
Ad in Daily Oklahoman on Sunday, September 25: "Going Out Of Business Sale. Christmas Shop Now!"

They've been around for 30 years.

Thunder
09-26-2011, 04:57 AM
I don't know the place, but I'd just like to comment on their terrible timing and poor business decision, which in no doubt demonstrate one of many reasons why their business is beyond failure. Christmas time is coming and they are going out of business now? Fail. If they were smart, they'd be selling at regular retail prices during the Christmas season (maybe a huge Black Friday special), then host a Going Out of Business Sale right after Chrstimas...starting on the 26th.

stlokc
09-26-2011, 05:47 AM
Geez, the places of my childhood are dropping right and left. The amount of place settings, candlesticks, etc I've bought there over the years for weddings could fill an SUV...

Larry OKC
09-26-2011, 08:13 AM
Never heard of them, where are they at?

FritterGirl
09-26-2011, 08:31 AM
One Silver Place is in a stand-alone building on the east side of Western at about 72nd Street. They specialize in wedding registries of fine china, silverware and crystal, as well as other high-end kitchen gifts and barware.

It has, for many families, been a traditional place for bridges to register for their wares. I would guess, as our culture has becomes more casual, brides aren't as quick to need to register for their own fine china, crystal and/or silver placeware as they were in generations past. (They may also be inheriting many of these things from their grandmothers, so there is no need to purchase new).

I've purchased several wedding gifts there, and even registered a few items there myself when I was engaged to be married.

I always hate to see local, family-run establishments go out of business. In this case, I truly believe it is a matter of the market and people's overall economic and cultural outlook changing, more than it is about poor business practices. This was a specialty store, and one which catered to a pretty select clientele.

betts
09-26-2011, 09:02 AM
My daughters, who are in their twenties, told me they don't feel like they need china or silver. I'm not even sure they're interested in their grandmother's silver. Most dining is a lot more casual these days and while they both like decorative dishes, places like Bebes, Anthropologie and Pottery Barn are more popular with them and their friends. I can't remember the last time I bought a wedding gift at One Silver Place, but I buy them at Bebes all the time. Also, lots of kids getting married register at Williams Sonoma for cooking supplies or even Target nowadays. I must admit I usually only set a formal table at Thanksgiving and Christmas, but on those days I'm happy to have china and silver.

OKCTalker
09-26-2011, 09:34 AM
Bebe's, On A Whim and Dulaney Flowers fill this niche for this part of town. For china, crystal & silver, there are always the department stores. Housewares, Williams-Sonoma.

But while One Silver Place declined, B.C. Clark seems to have flourished (jewelry aside, of course).

Doug Loudenback
09-26-2011, 10:56 AM
One Silver Place is also an excellent place to get replacement silverware by the piece. Don't know if it's the only one, but it's at least one of the few locals that do that sort of thing. Sometime before last Christmas ... and I hope that I get this right ... I was talking with the elderly wife of the elderly man who owns the business and somehow the topic of retirement came up. In that conversation, it developed that none of the children were interested in carrying on the business, which is sad.

jdcf
09-26-2011, 11:06 AM
Yes, One Silver Place has provided us with outstanding service over the years. We registered there many years ago for our every day tableware, and they were wonderful with everything that was purchased for the showers and the wedding. They also helped us complete our crystal several years ago when the pattern was discontinued. This is where we regularly shop for gifts for many occasions. I sure hate to hear that this store is closing.