View Full Version : all right. I am coming to OKC for my anniversary.

Chautauqua
09-23-2011, 02:07 PM
From Tulsa. Staying at the Colcord. The wife has never been...she wanted to see OKC, so i acquiesced. ;-) . We'll be wandering around town. Look for the snobby and sneering hipster, mumbling under his breath.

Where do I eat? We need a nice place on Sat night...not Cattleman's, et al. (She's a vegit).

She's into funky stores and mid-century furniture...so we'll be on the hunt for that. Any other recommendations?

Also...please don't tell me to go to Bricktown.

BBatesokc
09-23-2011, 02:18 PM
Downtown, I'd eat at Red Prime or Cheever's or Paseo Grill or go further north to Republic or 501.

We like to shop at Rawhide when we are downtown (Broadway between 9th and 10th).

You might consider eating on Western in the shopping area and then walking/driving to the stores in the area (no idea if they are open late. We always go during the day).

Naturally while downtown you should consider walking around the myriad gardens and the bombing memorial.

FritterGirl
09-23-2011, 02:23 PM
I second the Cheever's recommendation.

There are a LOT of fun, funky and vintage places in the Plaza District and along Western between 40th and 50th that are ripe with fun shops, antique houses, etc.

Sorry to hear you're so bummed at the prospect.

Chautauqua
09-23-2011, 02:51 PM
I second the Cheever's recommendation.

Sorry to hear you're so bummed at the prospect.

Love cheever's.

I am not bummed. I was being self depricating, and sarcastic regarding the whole Tulsa v. Okc thing. Jokes.

Except the Bricktown thing. I am serious about that.

Pete
09-23-2011, 02:55 PM
What is the store that just moved to Auto Alley that sells antiques and has some mid-century stuff?

Make sure to walk through the Myriad Gardens, just across from the Colcord. Drinks at the Red Piano lounge in the Skirvin. Walk over to the OKC Museum of Art (Coctails on the Skyline with band every Thursday). See what's on at the Civic Center or Lyric Theater (for the latter, check out the Plaza District). Lunch in Deep Deuce at the DD Grill or The Wedge (each have a patio). Fantastic happy hour at Red Steakhouse.

Be ready, there is absolutely tons of construction all over downtown -- including the Colcord -- and the surrounding areas.

Steve
09-23-2011, 03:35 PM
My suggestion: go to Red Prime. Then walk across the street to Treasure's Past, which sells mid-century furniture, and Rawhide, which has an eclectic mix of furniture, home decor, clothing and jewelry. Grab coffee next door at Coffee Slingers or enjoy desert at SaraSara Cupcakes across the street. Based on your comment, you'll also be interested in visiting the Flaming Lips new gallery, the Womb. And yes, great times to be had at museum, civic center, etc. Colcord is a very nice hotel, and you'll get great views of the changing downtown skyline. Plaza District might be fun as well.

Jesseda
09-23-2011, 04:10 PM
If venturing out of the downtown area, you have to spend a couple hours in the paseo art district

bucktalk
09-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Tried Ludvine earlier this week. Very unique and quite delicious!

SSEiYah
09-23-2011, 04:27 PM
I'd say Paseo Grill or Cheevers. Red Prime's atmosphere is a little odd, but it may be your style.

Chautauqua
09-24-2011, 06:54 AM
I'd say Paseo Grill or Cheevers. Red Prime's atmosphere is a little odd, but it may be your style.

Not sure how to take this?! Are you saying I am odd?

Lol.

Made reservations at Ludivine. Thanks for all the tips!! Should be fun.

betts
09-24-2011, 07:49 AM
Ludivine is an excellent choice. Happy hour appetizers at Red Prime are excellent too, if you don't want a bigger mea one of your days here, and I like the atmospherel. I also recommend the tamales, which are not on the Happy Hour menu, but can be ordered. For lighter fare or lunch, I would also add Stella and 1492, near the Midtown Plaza.

kevinpate
09-24-2011, 03:51 PM
Late night menu at Deep Fork Grill ... yum + economical

Chautauqua
09-25-2011, 09:49 PM
Well, we had a good time. I'll have to say, what is happening downtown, on Broadway, and around Heritage Hills is wonderful, even enviable. I sense a good vibe around town.

Not that you need my opinion, but here is what I saw:

Plusses:

1. The biggest thing to me was the general spirit of things. When I visit other cities/towns, I look out for, in particular, the local element. Especially the funkier local thing. It seems very genuine, not forced, outside of Bricktown (which has been my primary complaint about that district). Automobile Alley, Western, the Asian District, and the Paseo all seem genuine. Local businesses, generally good design sensibility (which I look for), and people are very freakin' friendly. Like, I think Tulsans are friendly, but wow.

2. The Myriad Gardens are dyn-o-mite. Seriously. The redesign is fantastic. whoever designed and implemented it gets an A. My wife, who is from Minneapolis, via Seattle, was more than impressed. The details I saw were well designed and executed. This, I wish we had in downtown tulsa, perhaps more than anything I saw, including the Devon building. By the way, that building makes the myriad better as well. It is a nice compliment, visually, to the park. More people should use that space.

3. I always forget how many old prairie style warehouse-y buildings you all have. Tulsa has quite a few also, but OKCs are larger, generally.

4. Paseo District is always fun to look at. The potential there is huge.

5. That Whole Foods is the nicest Whole Foods design I have seen anywhere. Aubrey's underwriting of that is evident. Speaking of which, as far as Classen Curve is concerned, I am partial to that type of design. Well executed. I hope it fills up. It should considering its location so near to Nichols Hills, etc.

6. Love the Asian Supermarket. I want a more Pho places in tulsa.

7. I think Automobile Alley has more potential than Bricktown to become the place to hang out. A true Live/Work/Play corridor. And I love the Womb. Wayne is a freak.

8. Ludivine was good, atmosphere was great, but Cheever's is better.

Minuses:

1. I still do not understand why NW 23rd corridor, particularly around the Tower, hasn't had more investment. It is rough... I am sure there is an explanation, but I don't get it.

2. OKC has invested heavily into compact, urban areas. This in many ways is sound policy, but it has a strange effect, at least in this stage of redevelopment. You can be in a nice area or a clearly redeveloped area, and one or two blocks later, it looks like a war zone. (even around Nichols Hills) I know these things take time, but it is evident to the outsider.

3. I am not a preservation purist, but I am opposed to tearing down the Mummers Theater. That would be a huge mistake. Huge. It is such a unique thing.

4. You all need to go on a road diet. Downtown, it is clearly getting better, but outside of downtown, it's awful. Not that Tulsa doesn't have Memorial or Mingo, etc, but I can't really think of a more uninviting place to walk than OKC's arterial streets.

MDot
09-25-2011, 10:10 PM
Very pleased to see you enjoyed your time here in Oklahoma City, Chautauqua. Also glad to see there were more plusses than minuses on your opinion of Oklahoma City. Tulsa and Oklahoma City have so much in store for the future, it is a wonderful thing to see Oklahoma's 2 largest cities growing and hopefully the rest of Oklahoma continues to grow the way Tulsa and Oklahoma City has and will.

SkyWestOKC
09-25-2011, 10:51 PM
Glad to hear you generally liked OKC!

ljbab728
09-25-2011, 11:41 PM
Well, we had a good time. I'll have to say, what is happening downtown, on Broadway, and around Heritage Hills is wonderful, even enviable. I sense a good vibe around town.

Not that you need my opinion, but here is what I saw:

Plusses:

1. The biggest thing to me was the general spirit of things. When I visit other cities/towns, I look out for, in particular, the local element. Especially the funkier local thing. It seems very genuine, not forced, outside of Bricktown (which has been my primary complaint about that district). Automobile Alley, Western, the Asian District, and the Paseo all seem genuine. Local businesses, generally good design sensibility (which I look for), and people are very freakin' friendly. Like, I think Tulsans are friendly, but wow.

2. The Myriad Gardens are dyn-o-mite. Seriously. The redesign is fantastic. whoever designed and implemented it gets an A. My wife, who is from Minneapolis, via Seattle, was more than impressed. The details I saw were well designed and executed. This, I wish we had in downtown tulsa, perhaps more than anything I saw, including the Devon building. By the way, that building makes the myriad better as well. It is a nice compliment, visually, to the park. More people should use that space.

3. I always forget how many old prairie style warehouse-y buildings you all have. Tulsa has quite a few also, but OKCs are larger, generally.

4. Paseo District is always fun to look at. The potential there is huge.

5. That Whole Foods is the nicest Whole Foods design I have seen anywhere. Aubrey's underwriting of that is evident. Speaking of which, as far as Classen Curve is concerned, I am partial to that type of design. Well executed. I hope it fills up. It should considering its location so near to Nichols Hills, etc.

6. Love the Asian Supermarket. I want a more Pho places in tulsa.

7. I think Automobile Alley has more potential than Bricktown to become the place to hang out. A true Live/Work/Play corridor. And I love the Womb. Wayne is a freak.

8. Ludivine was good, atmosphere was great, but Cheever's is better.

Minuses:

1. I still do not understand why NW 23rd corridor, particularly around the Tower, hasn't had more investment. It is rough... I am sure there is an explanation, but I don't get it.

2. OKC has invested heavily into compact, urban areas. This in many ways is sound policy, but it has a strange effect, at least in this stage of redevelopment. You can be in a nice area or a clearly redeveloped area, and one or two blocks later, it looks like a war zone. (even around Nichols Hills) I know these things take time, but it is evident to the outsider.

3. I am not a preservation purist, but I am opposed to tearing down the Mummers Theater. That would be a huge mistake. Huge. It is such a unique thing.

4. You all need to go on a road diet. Downtown, it is clearly getting better, but outside of downtown, it's awful. Not that Tulsa doesn't have Memorial or Mingo, etc, but I can't really think of a more uninviting place to walk than OKC's arterial streets.

I would say that you're observations are spot on. Thanks for sharing.

Skyline
09-26-2011, 08:13 AM
I think your observations are spot on of Okc, especially the "road diet" comment and Okc being very uninviting for pedestrians. Also, I've had friends and family that live in other cities mention the very same thing to me with the Okc redeveloped neighborhood area only a block or two from some of the worst hoods.

Thanks for visiting Okc and expressing your opinion.

Steve
09-26-2011, 08:17 AM
I suspect those observations are going to be well received by most on this site, Chautauqua. It's hard to argue with anything you've said.

Chautauqua
09-26-2011, 03:05 PM
I hope it was viewed as constructive. I am an urban planner by trade, so I tend to see cities a bit differently than the average joe.

MDot
09-26-2011, 03:11 PM
Very constructive. I always enjoy hearing what out-of-towners think of Oklahoma City and for the most part, they're normally positive.

OSUMom
09-26-2011, 09:05 PM
Interesting comments. But I have to ask.....How did you even get to the Colcord?

RadicalModerate
09-26-2011, 11:18 PM
One of the nicest and most accurate expressions of "an outsider's" take on the "New, Improved and Improving" Oklahoma City.

Just out of curiosity . . .
Where does the moniker "Chautauqua" originate?
Upstate New York/New England or closer to The Rockies?

Chautauqua
09-27-2011, 09:20 AM
Interesting comments. But I have to ask.....How did you even get to the Colcord?

It is a very good question. More to the point, if you are going to stay there, valet is the only way to go. We self parked at that garage across the street, and all I can say is, it was the strangest parking garage situation, in terms of trying to walk out or back into the garage I have ever experienced. the ground level garaged empties you into what appears to be an abandoned convention space. I would never let my wife walk through there alone. Creepy.

One of the nicest and most accurate expressions of "an outsider's" take on the "New, Improved and Improving" Oklahoma City.

Just out of curiosity . . .
Where does the moniker "Chautauqua" originate?
Upstate New York/New England or closer to The Rockies?

Chautauqua Avenue in Norman, actually.

Pete
09-27-2011, 09:26 AM
the ground level garaged empties you into what appears to be an abandoned convention space. I would never let my wife walk through there alone.

That's the lovely "Century Center" which is completely abandoned yet still open. It is creepy and having it in the middle of an otherwise thriving downtown is an embarrassment. They actually considered that site for the new downtown elementary school.

kevinpate
09-27-2011, 02:15 PM
What is it that makes Century Center so undesirable that it sits empty decade after decade?

RadicalModerate
09-27-2011, 02:29 PM
I think it may be linked to a visit by that radical TV preacher from somewhere in Texas a few years ago. John Something or Other. Ultra-Political . . . Hagee. The John Hagee visitation. I can't think of any other Century Center experiences (personally) . . . Frankly, I didn't get any negative vibes from the venue OR the guest speaker . . . So I guess it is a big-time business deal. Probably being managed in Europe.

Steve
09-27-2011, 02:43 PM
No it's not. It's owned by the folks who own the Sheraton. It's a failed shopping center experiment from the Urban Renewal days. I'm very familiar with its history ....

kevinpate
09-27-2011, 04:27 PM
I get that it failed as a shopping center, and did so long, long, long ago. What I don't get is why it seems impossible to reinvent the space into anything else. Prior to 2004 or so, I even get that, but since then ... it's just a mystery to me.

Pete
09-27-2011, 05:49 PM
Good questions, Kevin. The place was only semi-full for a brief period of time when it opened in 1977.

Since then it's been reconfigured a couple of times but has been almost completely empty. And now, you can remove "almost" from that description.

The city owns the parking on the top two floors which limits what a develop can do without buying them out in some way.

There is an old thread on this property:

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=6038&highlight=century+center

Chautauqua
10-18-2011, 10:46 AM
Nice article/blog post on Myriad Gardens, Steve. i agree. And I can only wish that Tulsa had a downtown park like that.