View Full Version : Retro Metro OKC September 26 Meeting

Doug Loudenback
09-23-2011, 12:06 PM
Steve asked me to post this notice and invite anyone interested in the history of Automobile Alley, or of Okc history generally, to attend the next meeting of Retro Metro Okc (http://www.retrometrookc.org/), as follows:

What: Retro Metro OKC September Meeting
When: Monday, September 26, 2011, at 6:30 p.m.
Where: 1015 N. Broadway, Rooftop
Speaker: Bob McDonald of the former family-owned McDonald Scott Chevrolet

Steve, I, and the rest of active participants in Retro Metro look forward to seeing those of you that we know and meeting those of you who we don't. It looks to be a fun meeting, hearing some good stories of times gone by on Automobile Alley.

Steve
09-23-2011, 02:14 PM
Thanks for posting this Doug! The weather will be perfect - 80 degrees, partly cloudy, slight breeze.

USG'60
09-23-2011, 05:53 PM
Doug, could you remind us on Sunday, my brain retains very little short term. :-/

kevinpate
09-24-2011, 03:56 PM
USG, this is your reminder to check back tomorrow for your Sunday reminder for the Monday meeting.

Doug Loudenback
09-24-2011, 05:50 PM
http://www.okctalk.com/customavatars/avatar9291_3.gifThis is my reminder to myself, being in a present state of euphoria following the OSU v. T A&M game and not knowing how long it might last, not to forget to give USG a reminder on Sunday, tomorrow that is.

GO COWBOYS! :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

USG'60
09-25-2011, 12:11 PM
This is embarrassing, but I was out celebrating Miss Blues' 76th B'day last night so I have to ask, what was the OU-MU score?

Doug Loudenback
09-25-2011, 12:31 PM
38-28. OU dropped to #1 in the AP poll but is still #1 in the USA Today poll. OSU moved to #5 and #6 in the same polls, respectively. See http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings

But, this is your "bump" about tomorrow's meeting. Consider yourself bumped.

USG'60
09-25-2011, 01:26 PM
I comsider myself bumped. See ya tomorrow, barring the unforeseen.

Steve
09-26-2011, 11:57 AM
This is a reminder to Doug to remind USG about the Retro Metro OKC meeting tonight!

USG'60
09-26-2011, 01:50 PM
I got it, I got it. :-P

Martin
09-26-2011, 03:00 PM
1015 n. broadway... the coffee slingers building, right? how does one access the rooftop? from google maps it looks like the roof is gabled.

-M

Steve
09-26-2011, 09:54 PM
Martin, I hope you didn't show up and were unable to get up to the roof top! The one thing I screwed up on here was I didn't tell folks to go up through the 2nd floor elevator. I'll do better next time.

Doug Loudenback
09-27-2011, 01:28 AM
Report on meeting: It was fabulous. Lots of people mingled and met to hear Bob McDonald to reminisce on Auto Alley's (and Broadway's) days gone by, with lots of participation by the people present who offered information and asked questions particularly regarding Broadway both past and current. And, yes, USG60 did show up (though, sad to say, I didn't get an opportunity to chat with him). Council member Meg Salyer was also present.

From the rooftop, one could see Wayne Coyne's off-Broadway venture and the discussion was good natured and very accepting about that venture ... it "glowed" as the sun went down, one said.

About how to get to the location, when I arrived Marc Weinmeister (Retro Metro Okc's treasurer) was present on the outside on the sidewalk to direct people to the location. I sat down and joined him and after a bit a couple of other arrivals did, too. Eventually, President Lackmeyer called ... we said we we were having a meeting on the sidewalk ... but he said that it would be good if we would join the main group. Anyway, if anyone arrived between 6:25-6:35 and didn't know where to go, they were provided hands-on guidance.

Several new faces were present. As I said already, Meg Salyer was one. Bill Welge of the Oklahoma Historical Society and the owner and publisher of the Capitol Hill Beacon were another pair. Company was good, food was good, discussion was good, on this rooftop on a Monday night in Automobile Alley, Okc.

Martin
09-27-2011, 06:04 AM
Martin, I hope you didn't show up and were unable to get up to the roof top! The one thing I screwed up on here was I didn't tell folks to go up through the 2nd floor elevator. I'll do better next time.

y'all did just fine, i was just confused how you guys were going to be on the rooftop... i wanted to go but ended up getting out of the office late. i know i've said this too often, but maybe next time! -M

Jim Kyle
09-27-2011, 08:54 AM
the owner and publisher of the Capitol Hill Beacon were another pair. Company was good, food was good, discussion was good, on this rooftop on a Monday night in Automobile Alley, Okc.I had hoped to be there but wasn't quite up to getting out last night. I'd have loved to see Dave Sellars again -- he and I were classmates in the J-school class of 1952; we were almost the only males left in the class!

reverend
09-27-2011, 08:46 PM
Retro Metro sounds very interesting and fun. Too bad I joined these forums a day too late to take part in the meeting. Please do update with info on the next meeting, please.

Steve
09-28-2011, 07:38 PM
We are trying to set up a Retro Metro OKC meeting focusing on the history of the Paseo in November. More details to come....

reverend
09-28-2011, 08:26 PM
I grew up on 31st and Shartel, the Paseo was a big part of my childhood! The meeting will be fun.

Steve
09-28-2011, 08:50 PM
Got any photos?

MikeOKC
09-28-2011, 09:57 PM
Sounds like a great meeting. I would definitely like to attend one of these soon.

reverend
09-29-2011, 03:49 PM
Got any photos?

Unfortunately no. However, the lady who ran the ill-fated and short lived Paseo Community Center was and is like a mother to me. I bet she has some photos. I'll ask her and see what she saved.

USG'60
10-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Unfortunately no. However, the lady who ran the ill-fated and short lived Paseo Community Center was and is like a mother to me. I bet she has some photos. I'll ask her and see what she saved.

Hey Rev, any luck yet?