View Full Version : I need to sell a painting....any suggestions?

flippity
09-23-2011, 07:49 AM
I have a Red Skelton painting that belonged to my grandmother...my granddad has asked me to sell it, but I'm not sure where. Does anyone know if there's a place in OKC that does that sort of thing? It's numbered and signed on canvas, I have a certficate of authenticity. Going rate on the internet to buy it is about $2000, but I don't know where/how to sell it.

Martin
09-23-2011, 08:26 AM
why not sell it on ebay? -M

FritterGirl
09-23-2011, 08:46 AM
Because this has a celebrity attachment, I agree with mmmm, ebay is probably your best bet here.

There are lots of collectors of all kinds of celebrity memorabilia, and that may be your best shot. You could also look up some celebrity memorabilia websites, too, and see if there are any that are specifically for sales of this nature.

My guess is it will sell more for the celebrity factor than the art factor.

Most local galleries and/or art consignment places would be looking for pieces that value in the thousands of dollars, or are by "named" artists.

Thunder
09-23-2011, 09:57 AM
Try it on Craigslist. Its free. You never know what surprise may be waiting. :-)

BBatesokc
09-23-2011, 10:20 AM
Try it on Craigslist. Its free. You never know what surprise may be waiting. :-)

I'd personally avoid Craigslist on something priced around $2,000 unless you plan on hauling it around in your car to meet people in a public place. I do not let people come to my home (let alone inside) to lookylue at expensive items. Too many freaks out there.

When I sell a car, expensive camera or computer - I always meet them in a public place. Actually, unless the item is way too bulky to move, I don't let people come over regardless.

While this painting isn't the same as some fool advertising "2ct diamond ring - come to my house and then rob me", it really isn't worth the hassle or risk. You could post it, but just meet them somewhere.

Ebay is most likely your best bet with least hassle. Sure you'll have to spent a little bit and mail it, but you don't have to deal with phone calls, no-shows and general freakiness.

Midtowner
09-23-2011, 12:33 PM
Wouldn't hurt to give Christie's a call. They do complimentary appraisals. With the celebrity factor, this might be your best bet.

http://www.christies.com/

betts
09-23-2011, 12:39 PM
I wouldn't recommend eBay, unless you've looked and are happy what comparable paintings are selling for right now. I've bought and sold a little bit on eBay, and people are getting things for much lower prices nowadays than they were a few years ago. Obviously the economy affects everyone, and people who need to sell are getting less. You might look and see if there's a gallery in the US that shows a lot of his work and give them a call. They might buy it from you outright, or sell it on consignment.

BBatesokc
09-23-2011, 12:49 PM
I wouldn't recommend eBay, unless you've looked and are happy what comparable paintings are selling for right now. I've bought and sold a little bit on eBay, and people are getting things for much lower prices nowadays than they were a few years ago. Obviously the economy affects everyone, and people who need to sell are getting less. You might look and see if there's a gallery in the US that shows a lot of his work and give them a call. They might buy it from you outright, or sell it on consignment.

You can set a minimum price on your auction and not risk selling too low.

I've actually found the opposite with Ebay. I rarely even look for computer and video equipment on Ebay because they want too much for it. Prices overall seem to be higher than they've ever been. Of course that also depends on the types of products you're buying/selling.

Consignment or auction house will most likely want 20-40% depending on the house and promotion. A $2,000 item isn't going to mean much to those people and I'd be afraid they'd just rush it through and work off volume.

RadicalModerate
09-23-2011, 01:22 PM
Plan A:
Google "Red Skelton Fan Club" . . .
Focus on the first couple of "non sponsored" results.

Open the sites and review the contents.
Get names and numbers.

Give the grateful potential recipients--of the gift you have to share--a personal call--(on your dime)--on account of you have something they might value more that a bunch of lowballers.

Sell them the authentic Red Skelton Painting.
At a fair price to both of you.

"G'Night n' G'd Bless" . . . =)

So . . . D'ya have anything by . . . Jonathan Winters . . . ? =)

Plan B:
Contact "History Detectives" to determine the "autheticity" and "provinance" of the item.
If they take on the case the asking price at least just doubled.

flippity
09-23-2011, 05:41 PM
why not sell it on ebay? -M

i boycotted ebay a few years ago. i will never buy or sell anything there again.

Thunder
09-23-2011, 06:29 PM
i boycotted ebay a few years ago. i will never buy or sell anything there again.

This is interesting. You should share the details. Who made you mad that wasn't eBay's fault?