View Full Version : Fall Foliage in SE Oklahoma?

adaniel
09-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Me and the gf were thinking about taking a quick weekend trip before it starts getting cold. I've always wanted to go down to the SE part of the state to see the leaves change. Considering that fall in OKC will probably be a lost cause (already about half the trees in my area are just about bare and it isn't even October, thanks drought!), I especially will need to go to get my "fall fix." My main concern is that it has also been pretty dry down in that area as well. Does anyone who is familiar with that part of the state know how its been precip wise? We were aiming for the first weekend in November somewhere in and around Talimena Drive, but if either need to be moved around to enjoy the peak colors than thats fine.

kevinpate
09-21-2011, 06:56 PM
They really haven't had any real difference in rain volume than we have (not that I recall the kin mentioning anyhow.)

In general terms, mid october to early November will be ok if it's going to be pretty at all. The lodge toward the Ark end of the Talimena used to be really nice, but it's been ages since I was there so I can't swear to it these days.

County seat of LeFlore county is Poteau. It has a fairly new Holiday Inn Express that's in great shape. The Best Western is older but still ok I hear. If you need to economize, there are also several lower price point options in Poteau. For the most part, we stay with kin when we roll back so I'm not a home town expert on the lodging. But, when in Poteau, eat at Willy's downtown.

dmoor82
09-21-2011, 07:05 PM
^^Also check out lake Wister or Broken Bow lake or Robbers cave,none are close together but if your in that general area and taking a road trip check out atleast one!Also while in Poteau,check out the World tallest hill,LOL!

CCOKC
09-21-2011, 09:28 PM
http://www.travelok.com/Fall_Foliage_and_Festivals This website updates the fall foliage conditions in the state. It also has some good links for places to stay and pretty drives. Every Oklahoman should do the Talimena drive in the fall at least once in his/her life.

ljbab728
09-21-2011, 09:29 PM
The lodge toward the Ark end of the Talimena used to be really nice, but it's been ages since I was there so I can't swear to it these days.

This is the lodge you're talking about. It's on top of a mountain in a beautiful area.

http://www.queenwilhelmina.com/

CCOKC
09-21-2011, 09:34 PM
That is such a beautiful spot on top of the mountains. My husband and I are talking about going camping in a couple of weeks at Cedar Lake just south of Heavener. I hope the conditions are good.

Kokopelli
09-21-2011, 10:32 PM
A very worthwhile and beautiful trip if you catch the foliage at the right time. When we visited two years ago the full foliage only lasted a couple of weeks at the end of October.

Another good source of info is the Talihina C of C website. They have a foliage update link with fairly current photos.

http://www.talihinacc.com/

We ended up staying at the new Holiday Inn Express in McAlister as the motels fill up pretty fast.

kevinpate
09-22-2011, 08:14 AM
That is such a beautiful spot on top of the mountains. My husband and I are talking about going camping in a couple of weeks at Cedar Lake just south of Heavener. I hope the conditions are good.

One of my favorite small lakes. And if you look around, you can find a decent enough map to see the forest roads so you can run right up the side of the mountain to the Talimena Drive without heading down to one end or another. Have capped off a few days at Cedar with a mountain top sunset and/or star watching.

adaniel
09-23-2011, 01:21 PM
Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the advice everyone.

We were unsure if we were just going to do a turnaround trip and not stay the night. I had been calling some cabin rental places in and around Beavers Bend and all but their most expensive units were booked up through Thanksgiving. So I guess you snooze you lose lol. But I will check out some of the suggestions presented here. Alos we were going to maybe hit up some of the Italian restaraunts in McAlester (Petes maybe?)

I am a little worried about the colors this year. I drove to Tulsa this morning for a meeting and from Stroud on eastward the trees really showed a lot of heat/drought stress. About a fifth of them were already turning colors, and not the usual colors blackjacks show in the fall. I'm hoping its a little better down south, but I've already had two people tell me I should go no later than mid october as many of the leaves in AR are alreay getting going.

kevinpate
09-23-2011, 07:58 PM
If you can hit Krebs McAlister in the daytime, Rosanna's is the only one open and is quite excellent At night, I would say Pete's, my younger brother would say Isle of Capri. I've not been through in a while, but I am presuming all continue to rock steady as they have for ages. There is also Giacomo's over in McAlister.