View Full Version : Nichols Hills Fire Chief Murdered in his Mustang Home

Pages : [1] 2

PennyQuilts
09-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Did you guys see this awful story? According to newspaper reports, the wife was the only witness and she claimed a young white man in a hoodie came into the house, Tuesday night, and shot her husband. He told her he was sorry but the man should have given him a job, then left. The house was not otherwise disturbed or robbed. His name was Keith Bryan but Nichols Hills hasn't had job interviews in several years. Keith Bryant, however, is the fire chief in OKC and they just finished job interviews. Or so says the newspaper. Just awful. I feel so sorry for the family.

http://newsok.com/nichols-hills-fire-chief-dies-after-shooting/article/3606253?custom_click=lead_story_title

HewenttoJared
09-21-2011, 12:16 PM
Terrible.

Thunder
09-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Wow, wrong guy murdered. :-(

PennyQuilts
09-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Well, maybe, Thunder. Until they get it sorted out, that is just speculation, of course. I just hope they get to the bottom of it, soon. Poor man.

BBatesokc
09-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Really terrible. Wonder how this will shake up. She filed for divorce in the past. My money says she did it or had it done. But, I don't know them so that could be a totally bad and in poor taste call. Just where my mind immediately went.

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/GetCaseInformation.asp?submitted=true&viewtype=caseGeneral&casemasterID=246664&db=Canadian

PennyQuilts
09-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Really terrible. Wonder how this will shake up. She filed for divorce in the past. My money says she did it or had it done. But, I don't know them so that could be a totally bad and in poor taste call. Just where my mind immediately went.

That was my first thought, too, Brian, but the coincidence on the names is striking. Either way, it is completely bizarre.

Thunder
09-21-2011, 12:58 PM
It is possible either ways.

We have two persons with similar names, one with an extra letter.

The wife claimed the man commented about employment.

One district went through their interviews recently while the other did not.

1. The wife could have taken up on that opportunity to hire a hitman and attempt to do the perfect crime.
2. Unfortunate mistake on the man's part murdering the wrong person.

This will be very complicated if the guy were to be caught.

3. If it was actually #2 and the guy learned of his mistake, he could attempt to lie about the wife hiring him to receive a lesser charges/sentencing if caught.

BBatesokc
09-21-2011, 01:05 PM
That was my first thought, too, Brian, but the coincidence on the names is striking. Either way, it is completely bizarre.

I agree. But how stupid would the killer have to be to give such a huge clue to his identity? Not that impulse killers are exactly criminal masterminds.

Roadhawg
09-21-2011, 01:08 PM
My thoughts and prayers to the family... terrible thing to have happened.

kevinpate
09-21-2011, 07:31 PM
DOC is chock full of folk, on both sides of the bars, who acted on a notion without any significant planning involved prior to the act, or after the act.

Can I buy a perp apologizing to a vic's spouse and explaining why he acted as he did? Easily. Does it mean this went down that way? No. Doesn't mean it didn't either.

I haven't followed the press on it closely throughout the day. Too much going on elsewhere. Of the early am talking head brigade on 9 that I did hear and see, one thing made me go "huh?" If I heard correctly, a family member of the deceased contacted a 9 talking head (Miller) and requested Miller come to talk to the spouse of the deceased. That was a somewhat different twist, liver viability or no. Beyond that 'huh' moment, sounded like a too typical oh what a damn shame incident.

OKCTalker
09-22-2011, 01:58 PM
Keith Bryan’s memorial service will be held at 10 AM this Saturday, 09/24/2011, at the Bridge Assembly of God Church located at 1116 West Highway 152 in Mustang Oklahoma.
The arrangements are being made by McNeil’s Mustang Funeral Service. Their mailing address is PO Box 1616, Mustang Oklahoma, 73064. In lieu of flowers the family has requested donations be made to the Mustang Fire Department Equipment Fund which can be sent to the PO Box listed above.

There is a memorial fund set up in Keith’s name at BancFirst. Donations to the Keith Bryan Memorial fund may be dropped off at any BancFirst branch, or may be dropped off at the Nichols Hills Fire Department, Police Department, or City Hall.

PennyQuilts
09-22-2011, 09:08 PM
Thank you, OKCTalker.

ljbab728
09-22-2011, 09:30 PM
The local media played back his wife's 911 call today as a part of an update about this story. It was very disturbing. I know they have a legal right to do so but that must be difficult on his friends and family to have to hear that broadcast out to the public on television.

BBatesokc
09-23-2011, 12:40 PM
I think some of us called it....... Chief's wife is being booked into the county jail right now.

PennyQuilts
09-23-2011, 01:26 PM
She hid the gun in the dryer. The DRYER!!

okcisok
09-23-2011, 01:35 PM
Desperate people do desperate things. Glowing words (and justified I'm sure) from people who knew him, but no one knows what happens behind closed doors. Sad, just very sad.

FritterGirl
09-23-2011, 01:44 PM
I hate adding fuel to anything I would consider gossip mongering, and really didn't want to believe BBates' suspicions from yesterday, but after hearing the 9-1-1 tapes from last night, I did have to raise an eyebrow.

The first thirty seconds or so of the call weren't about her husband, who was bleeding out on the sofa, they were all about the supposed perp and the car he was driving.

I think I would have found that odd even if the seed of suspicion hadn't already been planted. If someone were to come in and shoot my husband, my first concern would be for him, NOT the person who allegedly did the deed. I'd talk to the police about that later, but call for an ambulance FIRST.

Brings up Brenda Andrews memories.

PennyQuilts
09-23-2011, 01:47 PM
If she'd just said they had a fight and she killed him, she'd probably get manslaughter. As it is, she is likely to end up with a murder I charge. They found a glove in the dryer (and the casing). And she left the gun box under her mattress. And, of course, she relatively calmly gave a bizarre story on the 911 call. How horrible for the family. Their kids must be devastated.

PennyQuilts
09-23-2011, 01:51 PM
I hate adding fuel to anything I would consider gossip mongering, and really didn't want to believe BBates' suspicions from yesterday, but after hearing the 9-1-1 tapes from last night, I did have to raise an eyebrow.

The first thirty seconds or so of the call weren't about her husband, who was bleeding out on the sofa, they were all about the supposed perp and the car he was driving.

I think I would have found that odd even if the seed of suspicion hadn't already been planted. If someone were to come in and shoot my husband, my first concern would be for him, NOT the person who allegedly did the deed. I'd talk to the police about that later, but call for an ambulance FIRST.

Brings up Brenda Andrews memories.

I had the exact same reaction. My husband and I were talking about that. She was married to a fire chief for ages so maybe that is why she didn't automatically say, "Someone broke in and shot my husband - get an ambulance!" but to give a somewhat rambling tale describing a kid driving up, describing what he looked like and then finally get around to mentioning that her husband had been shot and was bleeding out on the couch was weird. If I had been on the other end of the 911 call, I would have thought she was leading up to saying that some kid showed up and stole her birdbath or something. The dispatcher must have just about had a brain snap when the wife finally got around to mentioning that the kid shot her husband in the head.

silvergrove
09-23-2011, 03:41 PM
What seemed unusual for me was when the article said that the cell phone went dead then she later called from the landline. Seems slightly inconvenient to go to the landline instead of keeping the handy cellphone out.

OKCTalker
09-23-2011, 04:17 PM
I think some of us called it....... Chief's wife is being booked into the county jail right now.

Then you all are the winners. Congratulations.

SSEiYah
09-23-2011, 04:25 PM
yeah the 911 call from yesterday on newsok was rather odd. I just read the article in the Gazette about how OK has more women in prison than any other state per capita. +1 for that statistic.

Thunder
09-23-2011, 06:34 PM
Stay tuned for the next episode of Murder She Wrote.

kevinpate
09-23-2011, 07:43 PM
She hid the gun in the dryer. The DRYER!!

A dryer is odd, but only a tad. It's possible she thought the tale of the apologetic slayer might be completely accepted. IF one holds that notion, it's not weird to then believe either the policia would never even take a gander at the other end of the house, where the dryer was located, or that the opportunity would arise to go back and get rid of the gun later.

PennyQuilts
09-23-2011, 08:14 PM
yeah the 911 call from yesterday on newsok was rather odd. I just read the article in the Gazette about how OK has more women in prison than any other state per capita. +1 for that statistic.

My feeling on that is this: Back when I worked as a public defender, an extremely common - even typical - fact pattern was joint combat between him and her - with her often starting it. Far, far, far more often than not, he would take the blame to keep her out of jail, especially if kids were involved. I saw this even more with latinos or when they weren't married (and didn't have custody of children, including the woman's children with other men - they wouldn't want to see them go into fostercare). And then he'd have a record so the next time around, no one believed him (even when he didn't do anything). I hate to see people go to jail for a lot of things but IMO, a hell of a lot more women ought to serve time in these types of situations instead of treating them differently than men. I saw prosecutors regularly give special treatment to women who were thieves and mean as hell, in sharp contrast to how they would have treated a man. Moreover, that happened nearly every time a man and woman were both involved. Count on it - she would turn on him and take a plea while he sat in jail. And speaking as a mother, it makes my blood boil when people get all upset at these "poor mothers" and children separated because she is in jail. I managed to stay out of jail while raising my children and my suggestion is that if Mama cares about her children all that much, perhaps she should lay off the meth and avoid shoplifting. A mother, IMO, is a disgrace to become a criminal when children depend on her. A mother who doesn't care any more about her children than that doesn't deserve them.

PennyQuilts
09-23-2011, 08:18 PM
A dryer is odd, but only a tad. It's possible she thought the tale of the apologetic slayer might be completely accepted. IF one holds that notion, it's not weird to then believe either the policia would never even take a gander at the other end of the house, where the dryer was located, or that the opportunity would arise to go back and get rid of the gun later.

I should think, being married to a fire chief, that she'd have heard a zillion stories about crimes and stupid criminals since they hang with the police so often. I imagine her attorney will help her to explain that it was sudden, unplannned and she just panicked. The dryer might help in that defense. Besides, no one likes to see someone get murder one on a long term marriage domestic. I know I sound flip and that is unkind. He sounds like a nice man, I expect she was probably nice, too. And they have children who are hurting. This is the type of thing that lends itself to idle speculation when you aren't directly involved but it is hell for the family.

Double Edge
09-23-2011, 08:40 PM
If she's guilty, hopefully she will plead.

kevinpate
09-24-2011, 02:44 AM
If she's guilty, hopefully she will plead.

Guilty or no, the odds are extremely high for any case to conclude via a plea arrangement. Don't know the parties, but given the abrupt change of circumstances, it won't be a shocker to learn all was less than merry on their lil' corner of the prairie.

Should that bear out, one could speculate to an outcome along the lines of manslaughter one, 20 years, the bulk suspended, and possibly another charge relating to the police fibbing, likewise suspended in whole or in part. A class or three, minimal level of supervised probation after any incarceration, plus costs and fines.

Of course it could bear out that she was actually cold and calculating, albeit with poor planning skills.

BBatesokc
09-24-2011, 07:01 AM
To make this TV movie worthy it needs to come out that she was having an affair with the chaplain she was so desperate to ensure got dead hubby's organs. That could be the murder motive - kill the husband to save the lover.

Disclaimer - Zero proof or allegation of any of that. Just talking out loud.

Thunder
09-24-2011, 07:50 AM
To make this TV movie worthy it needs to come out that she was having an affair with the chaplain she was so desperate to ensure got dead hubby's organs. That could be the murder motive - kill the husband to save the lover.

Disclaimer - Zero proof or allegation of any of that. Just talking out loud.

Only on Lifetime Movie Network!!!

Maybe she's in love with someone in his or her family? :-O

PennyQuilts
09-24-2011, 08:55 AM
Guilty or no, the odds are extremely high for any case to conclude via a plea arrangement. Don't know the parties, but given the abrupt change of circumstances, it won't be a shocker to learn all was less than merry on their lil' corner of the prairie.

Should that bear out, one could speculate to an outcome along the lines of manslaughter one, 20 years, the bulk suspended, and possibly another charge relating to the police fibbing, likewise suspended in whole or in part. A class or three, minimal level of supervised probation after any incarceration, plus costs and fines.

Of course it could bear out that she was actually cold and calculating, albeit with poor planning skills.

The presence of the glove is going to go against her.

Wambo36
09-24-2011, 11:17 AM
The presence of the glove is going to go against her.The glove pretty much takes away any claim of "in the heat of the moment" she might have had. It'll take a pretty good lawyer to make this look anything but premeditated.

Easy180
09-24-2011, 11:31 AM
The whole divorced but still living together is never a good idea...They would have just parted ways like normal folks both of em would likely be at the fair today

PennyQuilts
09-24-2011, 11:43 AM
The whole divorced but still living together is never a good idea...They would have just parted ways like normal folks both of em would likely be at the fair today

Well, she filed for divorce. We don't know if that was ongoing; if they were living separate lives (rather than divorce) although living under the same roof; if they were fighting over assets and neither wanted to move out of the house; or if they'd reconciled or were trying to reconcile; or if she thought things were better before something happened that specifically sent her over the edge.

When I was younger, I used to think that a couple that wasn't in love or were just living parallel lives should absolutely divorce. It seemed obvious, to me. I met a lot of women back east who were married but hadn't seen their husband in years and seemed perfectly content with that. Frequently, the husband had a sweetie and the wife couldn't care less. As long as she wasn't planning to get married, herself, getting a divorce was just a technicality. That struck me as so strange.

But as I've gotten older, I notice that there are a lot of people who have been married a long time and who aren't particularly in love - or even like - who choose to simply make the best of the situation rather than divide assets or upset their families. If they are of a temperament to do that, I guess "whatever works." Marriage and family are both bigger than a love affair, afterall. Of course, there is always the risk that one or the other will change their mind about that along the way and things can go south.

metro405
09-25-2011, 12:32 PM
I truly believe she acted impulsively heat of passion based on the way that it took place. She obviously got nervous and tried to hide evidence but it goes to show she was completely out of character and a insanity moment she had. I think with the battered wife and verbal/physical abuse defense it would surprise me if she spends any length of time in prison and not a Psychiatric facility. Just saying she has that defense in place that will make a difference in the case.....Not to mention a white woman who has been a model citizen up until this incident

BBatesokc
09-25-2011, 04:39 PM
I truly believe she acted impulsively heat of passion based on the way that it took place. She obviously got nervous and tried to hide evidence but it goes to show she was completely out of character and a insanity moment she had. I think with the battered wife and verbal/physical abuse defense it would surprise me if she spends any length of time in prison and not a Psychiatric facility. Just saying she has that defense in place that will make a difference in the case.....Not to mention a white woman who has been a model citizen up until this incident

No idea how premeditative it was, but it was murder no less. In light of Ersland's conviction, I wouldn't hold my breath that she gets anything less than a lengthy prison sentence.

Wambo36
09-25-2011, 05:07 PM
Maybe it's just me but, acting impulsively in the heat of the moment doesn't include wearing a glove to avoid testing positive for GSR.

Okiezmom
09-25-2011, 09:50 PM
There are women at Mabel Bassett who are doing life for murdering an abusive spouse. In Oklahoma, nothing would surprise me.

kevinpate
09-26-2011, 06:06 AM
The presence of the glove is going to go against her.

It's a problem for her. A greater problem, my opinion anyway, is the impact on the fact finder of the info spoken by the defendant along with her demeanor during the 911 calls.

OKCTalker
09-26-2011, 07:14 AM
What does anyone know about Lance Cargill? The family issued a statement Saturday referring to him as "our advisor and attorney."

Roadhawg
09-26-2011, 07:21 AM
Then you all are the winners. Congratulations.

I don't think there are any winners in this case... sad :(

kevinpate
09-26-2011, 07:47 AM
What does anyone know about Lance Cargill? The family issued a statement Saturday referring to him as "our advisor and attorney."

Possibly this Lance Cargill, atty and former Speaker
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance_Cargill

offices out of Harrah

OKCTalker
09-26-2011, 07:57 AM
I don't think there are any winners in this case... sad :(

That was sarcasm. Brian was spiking the ball in the end zone and it p***ed me off - a good man was killed by his wife, and in so doing, she unnecessarily frightened OKC Fire Chief Keith Bryant and the citizens of Mustang, robbed her two sons of their father, two grandsons of their grandfather, and a fire department of its chief.

I've known two other people who were murdered - one by his wife, the other an OCPD officer by a burglar (his shooter later asphyxiated himself with a sock) - both young men about age 30. It leaves you angry and sad, and a hole remains for the rest of your life.

There are no winners in this, which was a truly unnecessary, selfish, stupid and premeditated act.

Roadhawg
09-26-2011, 12:58 PM
That was sarcasm. Brian was spiking the ball in the end zone and it p***ed me off - a good man was killed by his wife, and in so doing, she unnecessarily frightened OKC Fire Chief Keith Bryant and the citizens of Mustang, robbed her two sons of their father, two grandsons of their grandfather, and a fire department of its chief.

I've known two other people who were murdered - one by his wife, the other an OCPD officer by a burglar (his shooter later asphyxiated himself with a sock) - both young men about age 30. It leaves you angry and sad, and a hole remains for the rest of your life.

There are no winners in this, which was a truly unnecessary, selfish, stupid and premeditated act.

I agree 100%

metro405
10-01-2011, 04:17 PM
No idea how premeditative it was, but it was murder no less. In light of Ersland's conviction, I wouldn't hold my breath that she gets anything less than a lengthy prison sentence.

Good point BB but I believe after the jury hears about the verbal and physical abuse that will be raised and how she feared for her life. During the trial you will hear how bad of a guy Keith Bryan is suppose to have been. I really don't think they will send her away for long Battered wife syndrome temporary insanity defense

kevinpate
10-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Whatever role Cargill played earlier on, Gary James is her attorney at this time.

Thunder
10-01-2011, 06:10 PM
I just want to say...this guy left the state just in time! http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=4379

PennyQuilts
10-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Generally, there would be need to be evidence of battered wife syndrome, which would generally include a reputable psychological report supporting it, plus good evidence of abuse. These days, I would be surprised if they could hide substantial abuse but time will tell if they make that claim. The fact that they never took any domestic calls to the house might mean they didn't happen, or it might mean that people were protecting him. The kids would know. I hope it doesn't go this route.

OKCTalker
10-18-2011, 08:35 AM
Affidavits filed Monday (10/17) show that Rebecca L. Bryan had an extra-marital affair with a man identified as “John” from July 2009 – January 2010 when he broke up with her. She continued pursuing “John,” and called him three hours before shooting her husband on September 20. When she called him that night, “John” hung up on her. She then sent a text message (no reply), and called again, leaving a voicemail message which stated that she still loved him (“John”), that she was about to receive an “inheritance,” and was going to buy a house near him.

Found in a search of Becky Bryan’s papers at her office was a 2011 Valentine’s Day card from Mustang Flowers and Gifts which read, “To Becky Bryan from Keith.”

sacolton
10-18-2011, 09:12 AM
Isn't love grand? :)

MikeLucky
10-18-2011, 10:19 AM
Bitches be crazy...

PennyQuilts
10-18-2011, 05:23 PM
Affidavits filed Monday (10/17) show that Rebecca L. Bryan had an extra-marital affair with a man identified as “John” from July 2009 – January 2010 when he broke up with her. She continued pursuing “John,” and called him three hours before shooting her husband on September 20. When she called him that night, “John” hung up on her. She then sent a text message (no reply), and called again, leaving a voicemail message which stated that she still loved him (“John”), that she was about to receive an “inheritance,” and was going to buy a house near him.

Good lord. Hiding the gun in the dryer is sounding less like an act of panic and more like typical behavior. How sad for the family.

Double Edge
10-18-2011, 07:59 PM
TeeVee reported somewhere in that sequence a year ago or so she filed for divorce but did not follow up on it.

PennyQuilts
10-18-2011, 08:37 PM
TeeVee reported somewhere in that sequence a year ago or so she filed for divorce but did not follow up on it.

Apparently, the boyfriend broke up with her about that time and she's been keeping after him for the past year and a half trying to get back together. At least according to news reports. Really a tragedy. She seems to have a nice family who love her.

Thunder
10-18-2011, 08:38 PM
This sounds like an extended insanity. A death sentence is not possible, but we all know our corrupted DA. I'd say life in prison.

ljbab728
10-18-2011, 09:21 PM
This sounds like an extended insanity. A death sentence is not possible, but we all know our corrupted DA. I'd say life in prison.

I know it's probably pointless to respond to a silly post like this, but if you're trying make some connection to the Oklahoma County DA, he will have no say in this matter. It's in Canadian County.

Thunder
10-18-2011, 09:31 PM
I know it's probably pointless to respond to a silly post like this, but if you're trying make some connection to the Oklahoma County DA, he will have no say in this matter. It's in Canadian County.

I was not aware that Nichols Hill was moved to Canadian County. :-O

ljbab728
10-18-2011, 09:37 PM
I was not aware that Nichols Hill was moved to Canadian County. :-O

Were you also not aware that the murder took place in Mustang? (Check the title of the thread ) The last time I checked, that was still in Canadian County.

Thunder
10-18-2011, 10:08 PM
Were you also not aware that the murder took place in Mustang? (Check the title of the thread ) The last time I checked that was still in Canadian County.

I thought it was in Nichols Hill. :-(

kevinpate
10-19-2011, 06:03 AM
I thought it was in Nichols Hill. :-(

No lad. The deceased was employed in the NH fire department. His home, where the crime occurred, was in Mustang. Lots of peeps work in a city different than the one they live in.