View Full Version : Crescent Market Closing 11/1/2011

Pages : [1] 2

OKCTalker
09-21-2011, 10:07 AM
The word is out - confirmed by employees - that Crescent Market will be closing on November 1, 2011. Founded in 1889, this ends an uninterrupted 122-year run for this business.

Pete
09-21-2011, 10:16 AM
Are plans to relocate completely dead now?

Any idea of why this is happening? CHK not renewing their lease? Worried that WF is going to kill their business?

Achilleslastand
09-21-2011, 10:18 AM
The word is out - confirmed by employees - that Crescent Market will be closing on November 1, 2011. Founded in 1889, this ends an uninterrupted 122-year run for this business.

This is horrible and sad news.......
Places like this are a dying breed while places like wal mart thrive.

betts
09-21-2011, 10:19 AM
Such a shame. I was so hoping they'd move their business near downtown. But, I also think competing with Whole Foods where they're currently located was not going to be a viable plan either.

Pete
09-21-2011, 10:20 AM
Perhaps this will speed up the plans to remodel NH Plaza.

betts
09-21-2011, 10:28 AM
I drove by the other day and noticed that they've been working on the interior of the most southwest portion of the Plaza. The ceillings were taken out, leaving a vaulted space. Everything is open and painted white. There were no signs saying anything is "coming soon", so I was pretty mystified at to what is planned for that space.

I'm also wondering what is going to happen to the drugstore.

OKCMallen
09-21-2011, 10:36 AM
This is horrible and sad news.......
Places like this are a dying breed while places like wal mart thrive.

Whatever, more like Whole Foods and Sunflower. Everyone clamors for Whole Foods then decries the closure of Crescent.

Midtowner
09-21-2011, 10:50 AM
And the homogenization of America continues...

adaniel
09-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Whatever, more like Whole Foods and Sunflower. Everyone clamors for Whole Foods then decries the closure of Crescent.

Exactly. I fear that Foward Foods on Western will be next on the chopping block.

PennyQuilts
09-21-2011, 12:05 PM
What a shame.

FritterGirl
09-21-2011, 12:07 PM
I'll admit that I haven't shopped there in years seeing as it's not near the area where I usually run my errands, but it is an Oklahoma institution. Sad to see it go.

Pete
09-21-2011, 12:15 PM
It is sad but the place either had to relocate, completely remodel & update or do something to keep pace. That store had not changed in almost 50 years. Yes, that was part of it's charm but it's business had to have been dying long before WF & Sunflower came on the scene:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/crescent1.jpg

PennyQuilts
09-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Yeah, I know. I didn't shop there, either, although my mother did back in the day. I agree, Pete, that it was probably drifting away even before Whole Foods. If they wanted to relocate, I expect they could relatively easily do it but maybe they just wanted to retire or something. Anyone know?

oneforone
09-21-2011, 01:21 PM
It could be the family has decided to get out the business before they fell into serious debt. Steve Buchanan did just that he sold the Buchanan's stores to Fleming. He new Walmart was opening supercenters and neighborhood markets everywhere. His profits were already razor thin and he knew he couldn't compete with Walmart. To survive in the grocery business these days you have to have the buying power to compete with Walmart or you have to be able to specialize in one area or another. Buy For Less has survived based on their ability to cater to the people who live in the immediate area around the stores. I know they have done fairly well on their bakery, deli, take out items and international groceries.

Steve
09-21-2011, 01:59 PM
I talked to the owner, Robert Pemberton yesterday. Notice there is no story today. We also were being assured that OU and OSU had an open path into the Pac 12. Don't be so sure Crescent is history.....

okcisok
09-21-2011, 02:01 PM
Thank you Steve for a tease of "the rest of the story".

OKCTalker
09-21-2011, 02:26 PM
Steve will tell you that sources never lie to reporters. ;)

Then why would the employees be spreading this around? If Robert is intending to keep the store open, then he's either lying to the employees or inviting them to be a part of a deceit - neither bodes well for the long-term survival of the business.

Steve Jobs was a master at building suspense towards a big announcement. Robert Pemberton ain't Steve Jobs.

jdcf
09-21-2011, 02:31 PM
We would particularly miss the meat counter. Hope there are plans for this landmark institution to remain in the community.

Steve
09-21-2011, 03:06 PM
Steve Jobs was a master at building suspense towards a big announcement. Robert Pemberton ain't Steve Jobs.

Yep. Gotta agree with you there. I get the sense Pemberton isn't really sure himself what he's doing, and may just as easily change his mind next week (as he has throughout the year). Seriously, I really don't think he knows what he's going to do....

Debzkidz
09-21-2011, 03:45 PM
This just makes me want to cry. It was the only place in town I could get certain things like Orangina. I love their meat counter. Both my college aged sons would always make a point to go there on the rare occasions when they would come home. I didn't shop their as often as I would like since it's not exactly close to Edmond, but I always enjoyed going in there. I was there a few weeks ago and spent a couple hundred dollars.

Steve
09-21-2011, 03:52 PM
I'd say there's a 50/50 chance that you'll still be shopping at Crescent for years to come. This is a weird deal and I wish I could explain it better. I'm not being coy - it's just a weird deal.

OKCisOK4me
09-21-2011, 05:30 PM
My mom owned a salon on that side of Nichols Hills and she left a few years back due to a leasing disagreement with the new owner--Chesepeake. Is this maybe the reason why he's closing shop? Monthly rent to be too much so instead of staying he's retiring? Does he have someone he trusts to carry on the family business?

Steve
09-21-2011, 07:12 PM
OKC, I think I interviewed your mom when that happened....

OKCTalker
09-21-2011, 09:05 PM
OKCisOK: I think I knew your mom. As I recall, she was on a month-to-month lease when her air conditioner gave out during the summer. CHK was busy moving everyone out of the Plaza at that time, and they weren't going to pay to repair equipment that was going to be scrapped, so they told her that she'd have to pay the repair costs or move out. She offered to pay the costs if they'd grant her an occupancy extension, but they said no. She chose to move out. Her space was one of those mentioned by Betts. I knew another tenant who was treated similarly and received regular "nastygrams" from CHK real estate people, but she hung in. When things changed and CHK decided NOT to tear down the building, suddenly the letters became much more conciliatory.

krisb
09-21-2011, 10:27 PM
I do not have an historical appreciation for Crescent because I never lived close to it growing up. But from an outsider's perspective I have little reason to go there. My impression is an outdated, upscale grocery store for the super rich in Nichols Hills. That may be a an unfair portrayal, but it's the only association I have with the store. Perhaps a branding consultant could help them compete in this new market of upscale grocery.

RadicalModerate
09-22-2011, 11:43 PM
Crescent Market = Best Grocery Store Experience EVER.
Ambiance/Selection = 9.95276 (on a scale of 10.0)
Sad to read the apparent "rumor"/"news" of its transition into extinction.

Looking for [BlameTarget].

Wish that I had selfishly patronized Crescent more.

Oh. Well.
(Or Not)

Doug Loudenback
09-23-2011, 07:42 PM
Perhaps the best meat market in the city.

Easy180
09-24-2011, 11:36 AM
Probably Aubrey jacking up the rent

rcjunkie
09-24-2011, 03:29 PM
Probably Aubrey jacking up the rent

Never understand why some are so quick to blame others, oh well, it is what it is.

Easy180
09-24-2011, 05:49 PM
Never understand why some are so quick to blame others, oh well, it is what it is.

Me neither

OKCTalker
09-24-2011, 08:13 PM
Employees tell me that Robert is definitely closing but is looking for another location. That will end a 120+ year uninterrupted operating history, scatter all employees and force customers to develop new relationships with other grocers.

Epic fail. Local business schools will study this for years.

Spartan
09-24-2011, 09:02 PM

Woah woah, hold up. CM is clearly choosing to duck and exit. They could be successful if they might try moving downtown, and let's not even talk about how they're choosing to not even compete with WF. This is all on CM. They simply don't want to be a downtown kinda business, and they can't go anywhere else, so somehow they think it's better to close shop. Talk about a horribly ran business. They had a monopoly on gourmet foods for so long, now they don't even want to have to adapt or compete. That does NOT fall on people who brought WF to OKC.

PennyQuilts
09-24-2011, 09:33 PM
Woah woah, hold up. CM is clearly choosing to duck and exit. They could be successful if they might try moving downtown, and let's not even talk about how they're choosing to not even compete with WF. This is all on CM. They simply don't want to be a downtown kinda business, and they can't go anywhere else, so somehow they think it's better to close shop. Talk about a horribly ran business. They had a monopoly on gourmet foods for so long, now they don't even want to have to adapt or compete. That does NOT fall on people who brought WF to OKC.

Whole Foods is the Walmart of grocery stores that even think to compete. Most mom and pop places simply can't compete. Same with the small hardware stores put out of business by Lowes - I could go on. I think the point is that there is only so many dollars out there and big competition, no matter how desirable, often drives small businesses that lack the capital or the energy to compete. It is just reality.

No offense, Spartan, but I can't imagine that CM would thrive downtown. It is never easy to relocate from an established location and with Whole Foods around, the young people are going to go there. They didn't really go to CM in the first place. CM would have to change their whole business model and start pitching to a completely different clientele - and drop their prices. It is not the downtown trendy kids that kept CM in business. It was the wealthy older people who shopped there but who can now shop right down the street and get a lot more things that are just as good (and probably cheaper).

Spartan
09-24-2011, 10:12 PM
Whole Foods is the Walmart of grocery stores that even think to compete. Most mom and pop places simply can't compete. Same with the small hardware stores put out of business by Lowes - I could go on. I think the point is that there is only so many dollars out there and big competition, no matter how desirable, often drives small businesses that lack the capital or the energy to compete. It is just reality.

No offense, Spartan, but I can't imagine that CM would thrive downtown. It is never easy to relocate from an established location and with Whole Foods around, the young people are going to go there. They didn't really go to CM in the first place. CM would have to change their whole business model and start pitching to a completely different clientele - and drop their prices. It is not the downtown trendy kids that kept CM in business. It was the wealthy older people who shopped there but who can now shop right down the street and get a lot more things that are just as good (and probably cheaper).

Your first sentence either went above my head or just isn't coherent. As for relocating from an established location--CM did it already once when they moved from the Plaza Court bldg to NH Plaza. There are a LOT of businesses that successfully moved from downtown to burbs back in the day, and a LOT today that are being very successful in reestablishing downtown. That is an absolute kenard. As for the downtown environment, you couldn't be more wrong.

It is obviously a prime opportunity for grocers. Native Roots swooped in and signed on for the space at NE 2nd and Walnut while CM and Forward Foods were eying different places downtown, and I'm curious if you were aware of that. Furthermore, it goes without saying that downtown will probably be a specialty market. As it stands, it has no grocery options, albeit an exploding residential population.

I don't need to explain demographic that is living downtown, right?

flintysooner
09-25-2011, 05:42 AM
That is an absolute kenard.
Maybe canard?

soonerguru
09-25-2011, 02:03 PM

Agree with this 1000%.

This could be Aubrey-related, but whether or not he forced them out they were going to struggle with WF coming in. People have been talking about this for over a year, when Whole Foods announced expansion.

On the surface, it doesn't seem like Crescent Market has formulated any realistic plans in a Whole Foods environment. They've had more than a year to develop a strategy and appear to have done nothing.

Personally, I shop there occasionally and appreciate certain aspects of the store, but it is not an adequate gourmet grocery store for a major city like OKC. It's just not.

Is this the fault of Whole Foods? Maybe, but remember we have like 21 Wal-Mart Supercenters in the OKC area. And OKC was destined to demand better grocery options, and our demand is slowly being met.

Crescent Market could have rethought its strategy to make it in a Whole Foods / Sunflower world, but appears to have settled on past laurels.

okyeah
09-25-2011, 11:34 PM
I think CM should be open 7 days a week...i really wanted orangina but it was sunday

mcca7596
09-26-2011, 03:57 PM
More mysteries and questions raised in Steve's blog (http://blog.newsok.com/okccentral/2011/09/26/crescent-market-rumors/)

Architect2010
09-26-2011, 05:02 PM
Your first sentence either went above my head or just isn't coherent.

I think the point was still rather obvious genius.

oneforone
10-02-2011, 03:01 PM
It could be he is relocating or just keeping a lid on it because of an agreement with a liquidation company.

It could also mean he is turning the store over to new owners and he is tying up the loose ends because the new owners may not want to provide some services.

warreng88
10-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Crescent Market to close, plans to reopen in new location
By Brianna Bailey
Oklahoma City reporter - Contact 405-278-2847
Posted: 05:16 PM Monday, October 3, 2011

NICHOLS HILLS – Crescent Market, the metro area’s oldest surviving independent grocer will close its doors at the end of the month after 122 years, but hopes to eventually reopen in a new location.

“I’m actively looking and I’ve got a stack of cards from realtors and I’ve got a stack of cards from people who own land,” store owner Robert Pemberton said. “We’ll come back as big as or better than we are now.”

The gourmet store’s business has been declining over the past year and also faced a looming rent increase at its Nichols Hills Plaza location.

The opening of the nearby chain specialty grocer Sunflower Farmer’s Market at NW 63rd Street and North May Avenue last month has also put a dent the store’s sales, Cliff Davis said, a spokesman for the store.

Industry giant Whole Foods is also set to open its first metro area store at North Classen Boulevard and North Western Avenue on Oct. 12.

“It’s just simple mathematics why they won’t be at this physical location,” Davis said. “In six months to a year, they will have the same great service, same great product. It’s just a geographical change, that’s all this is.”

Pemberton admitted that his landlord had wanted to raise his rent, but declined to discuss specifics.

Crescent Market has been housed in the Nichols Hills Plaza shopping center at 6409 Avondale Dr. since the early 1960s after opening its first location in downtown Oklahoma City in 1889. The grocer once had as many as three stores in the metro area.

Chesapeake Land Development, a subsidiary of Chesapeake Energy Co., which has owned Nichols Hills Plaza since 2006, had tried to negotiated a new lease with the Crescent Market, but Pemberton declined, Henry Hood, Chesapeake Energy senior vice president for land and legal said in a letter to the Nichols Hills City Council issued Monday.

“Contrary to some rumors we have heard, Chesapeake did not force this action,” Hood wrote.

The market had been renting the Nichols Hills storefront on a month-to-month basis since its last lease expired in July 2010, the letter said.

“It is important to point out that Crescent Market’s rent has remained the same since 2000,” Hood wrote. “In fact, it is less than half the square foot rate of the other Plaza tenants.”

Over the years, Chesapeake has tried to work with Crescent Market to boost its business, by offering money for improvements at the store, Hood wrote.

The company declined to comment outside of Hood’s remarks in the letter on Monday.

Long a Nichols Hills institution, the Crescent Market is famed for its red carpeted aisles and selection of gourmet food items.

The store has been owned by Pemberton’s family for three generations, starting with his grandfather, who bought into the market in 1942. Pemberton bought the store from his father in 1998.

Contrary to rumors, Chesapeake has no plans to tear Nichols Hills Plaza down. Hood wrote.

“Accordingly, Chesapeake has already commenced working on a plan to completely remodel the space and open a new market, hopefully in the second half of 2012,” he wrote.

Pete
10-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Contrary to rumors, Chesapeake has no plans to tear Nichols Hills Plaza down. Hood wrote.

“Accordingly, Chesapeake has already commenced working on a plan to completely remodel the space and open a new market, hopefully in the second half of 2012,” he wrote.

It's not just rumors, CHK presented plans to NH to raze the southern section and they've been quoted in other interviews as saying that is their intent. Perhaps that has now changed but considering their investment in the surrounding properties, I can't believe they aren't going to substantially rework that entire area, just as they have with virtually everything else they have acquired.

Here's hoping Crescent resurfaces in the Midtown / downtown area.

Doug Loudenback
10-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Here's another early day image of Crescent at 207 W. Main from the 1903 Chamber of Commerce PR book ... click on the image for a larger view

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/chamberofcommerce/1903book/small/coc_1903_189_crescentgrocery_207wma.jpg (http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/chamberofcommerce/1903book/coc_1903_189_crescentgrocery_207wma.jpg)

Easy180
10-03-2011, 07:27 PM
This is my shocked face over the rent increase

OKCTalker
10-04-2011, 09:05 AM
Steve's 10/4/2011 article announcing that Crescent is closing: http://newsok.com/oklahomas-oldest-grocery-crescent-market-set-to-close/article/3610081?custom_click=lead_story_title
Chesapeake 10/3/2011 letter stating their intent to "remodel the space and open a new market:" http://s3.amazonaws.com/content.newsok.com/documents/CrescentMarketLetter.pdf
Steve's 10//2011 history of the Crescent market: http://newsok.com/crescent-market-grew-up-with-oklahoma-city/article/3610062

foodiefan
10-04-2011, 04:30 PM
Crescent Market to close, plans to reopen in new location
By Brianna Bailey
Oklahoma City reporter - Contact 405-278-2847
Posted: 05:16 PM Monday, October 3, 2011

NICHOLS HILLS – Monday. . . . . Contrary to rumors, Chesapeake has no plans to tear Nichols Hills Plaza down. Hood wrote.

Hello?? A new market?? Anyone else find this a little strange?? What kind of market wouldn't offer some level/type of competition with WF?? And. . . the local Wally-World isn't that far away.

Steve
10-04-2011, 04:42 PM
I sense that some of you, including Pete, see inconsistencies is the message being put out by Chesapeake and their public relations folks. I'm not saying this is good, bad, or anything else.
But at this moment, I love OKC Talk.

Pete
10-04-2011, 05:38 PM
It has to be said that Chesapeake not only went out and recruited Whole Foods to locate just a few blocks from Crescent, they also gave them strong financial incentives to do so. I don't know the specifics of the deal, but a rep from the Chamber was quoted as citing Aubrey's "benevolence" in making this happen, so it's clear WF isn't just paying market rent on that beautiful new custom-built store.

CHK had to know this would be the end of Crescent... Everyone else predicted it. Now, it certainly is Chesapeake's right to go recruit a competitor and place them within walking distance of their largest tenant, but spare us the "we did everything we could" BS. And please don't imply it's rumor mongers that are out there spreading the word about NH Plaza being razed when your own CEO met with tenants and delivered that message himself.

I hate to say this, but I always approach CHK's real estate dealings with at least a small measure of suspicion. But having followed them very closely for the last five years or so, I could give many specific examples of why I feel that perspective is justified.

soonerguru
10-05-2011, 09:20 PM
It has to be said that Chesapeake not only went out and recruited Whole Foods to locate just a few blocks from Crescent, they also gave them strong financial incentives to do so. I don't know the specifics of the deal, but a rep from the Chamber was quoted as citing Aubrey's "benevolence" in making this happen, so it's clear WF isn't just paying market rent on that beautiful new custom-built store.

CHK had to know this would be the end of Crescent... Everyone else predicted it. Now, it certainly is Chesapeake's right to go recruit a competitor and place them within walking distance of their largest tenant, but spare us the "we did everything we could" BS. And please don't imply it's rumor mongers that are out there spreading the word about NH Plaza being razed when your own CEO met with tenants and delivered that message himself.

I hate to say this, but I always approach CHK's real estate dealings with at least a small measure of suspicion. But having followed them very closely for the last five years or so, I could give many specific examples of why I feel that perspective is justified.

It's really quite clear. You shouldn't feel bad for noticing the obvious. I'm glad we got a Whole Foods out of the deal, though, but I'm not a fan of CHK. Hopefully they have a solid business plan because for some reason they seem like OKC's version of Enron.

lasomeday
10-05-2011, 09:58 PM
So, I was thinking of a place where Crescent Market could move. With Frontline Church on AA moving, that space would be large enough, and it has a kitchen.

Any ideas.

As far as the Chesapeake thing goes. Chesapeake is all about the image. They know that Whole Foods is a sexy company that attracts young people, so they are all about the sex appeal of a Whole Foods. A mom and pop grocery store does not appeal to their image.

RadicalModerate
10-05-2011, 10:19 PM
How about out in Arcadia?
Like, on Historic Route 66.
Across from The Round Barn.
And that irritating billboard.

There's a whole lot o' well-heeled, neo-countryfied folk--plus, of course, The CommonerLocals--hankerin' fer a good grocery store within easy driving (and in some cases walking or bicycling) distance.

Oops . . . Sorry . . .
That would only encourage and promote "Sprawl".
Nevermind.

soonerguru
10-05-2011, 10:48 PM
As far as the Chesapeake thing goes. Chesapeake is all about the image. They know that Whole Foods is a sexy company that attracts young people, so they are all about the sex appeal of a Whole Foods. A mom and pop grocery store does not appeal to their image.

Cool. Whole Foods? Check. But why drive out a small grocer that has had multigenerational appeal?

lasomeday
10-06-2011, 08:02 AM
I don't think you got what I said. Chesapeake wants to have a young hip feel, not a multigenerational feel. You obviously haven't been to Chesapeake and walked around. Its frat boys and sorority girls and the image.

Libbymin
10-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Nichols Hills Drug is also going to close soon. I've been told that CHK didn't give NHD the option to extend their lease. Perhaps there's more to the story on this, but if that's true, then that's just sad. Crescent shutting down is one thing. Their stuff was more expensive and it was dated on the inside (although that was part of the charm). With Whole Foods and Sunflower opening, the economics just weren't going to work. NHD being pushed out doesn't make sense though. In addition to also being a landmark, it makes money and it's very popular with the locals. I know people on both sides of the pro and anti-development side of the fence who do not want to see this happen.

Pete
10-06-2011, 04:39 PM
I think most the tenants in the south section of NH Plaza have been on month-to-month leases for a while.

CHK said they are going to announce plans for the plaza in the next few months but also said that aren't tearing that section down (after previously saying they would).

It's all very strange... And too bad about the drug store. That place has a lot of character.

OKCTalker
10-06-2011, 07:39 PM
Libby - This is the first I've heard about the drug store closing.

foodiefan
10-06-2011, 08:06 PM
I was at NHP last evening and the whole SE "side". . .Crescent, NH Drug and on west to the portico was boarded up. . . looked like plywood in all the windows.

metro
10-07-2011, 06:24 AM
Libby - This is the first I've heard about the drug store closing.

Pretty sure it was in the Oklahoman a day or two ago

Steve
10-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Nope. News to me. Tried to talk to owner the other day but he was too busy to visit. Will try again.

betts
10-07-2011, 08:23 PM
I went by today on an errand and neither Crescent Market nor the Drugstore were boarded up. In fact, there were two neon signs in the drugstore window I don't remember seeing before. What is obscured is the far SW corner of the Plaza. The last time I went by they had taken out the ceilings and vaulted the entire space and it looked very open. Now there's paper over the windows so I don't know what's planned for it. It certainly didn't look like they were planning to tear it down, but you never know with Aubrey. He seems to change his mind rather easily.

Speaking of changing minds, it now looks like the building that I'm assuming is Anthro is being changed. They've put up walls around the front of the store, and now there are just three windows, one being a corner window. I know the company thought there were too many windows in the Curve, so I was surprised to see so much space apparently going to be window in the building. Perhaps they came out and looked at it and requested a change.