View Full Version : Craigslist

Thunder
09-19-2011, 08:56 PM
What is wrong with the morons on Craigslist? So many of them think its the place to be thrifty. It may have started out that way, but it is not now anymore. Not now, not ever! Of course, we can find shocking deals, but to expect them on demand?!

I have an ad listed for many months on there featuring the handmade 20 blocks of tulips (punched thread) all ready to be put together for a huge kick-ass quilt. Did it sell? No! I reduced the price a few times before finally declaring "MAKE OFFER, WILL ACCEPT!" And what came of that? This idiot emailed me asking if I will accept $5. WTF?! Its implied reasonable offer, not offers from notorious lowballers!

C'mon people, Craigslist is so much more than that. Its actually the best place to sell locally compared to eBay and other services where it costs money to post, costs money to sell, and costs money per transaction. Stop emailing people asking to buy something for dangerously low price. If something posted is too high, then move on!

Anyway, back to that lowballer vermin, when she asked how much I would take it for. I clearly told her to make offer in addition to, "Consider the price you want them for if all of it was made by you to sell." So she offered $5... Meaning, if she made all of these blocks that take hours of work to do...she would be willing to sell for $5?! LOL!!!

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/art/2601103017.html

This is an old post first started way early this year and has been renewing ever since. Does it look like all of these is worth 5 bux? HAHAHAHAHAHA geez

(Penny, I'd be willing to give them to you FREE if you are interested in completing them for yourself or as a gift - Christmas time is coming.)

crimsoncrazy
09-19-2011, 11:49 PM
I'll give ya $6.

Thunder
09-20-2011, 12:30 AM
I'll give ya $6.

Pete, thanks so much for the Ignore feature!

BBatesokc
09-20-2011, 04:30 AM
Something is only worth what someone else is willing to give you. I buy nothing on Craigslist unless I get a lowball deal. 99% of the time what is for sale is used items with no warranty or refund policy. Those facts make many items worth much less.

That said, I still prefer EBay as a seller for nicer items ($500+). If your expectations are realistic then you most always get your price and don't have to deal with people calling, not showing up, wasting your time and lowballing you.

Roadhawg
09-20-2011, 07:05 AM
I agree with Brian about it's only worth what somebody is willing to pay. Just because somebody doesn't want to pay what you're asking doesn't make them an idiot, it might just make them a smart shopper and know what something is worth. You said "MAKE OFFER, WILL ACCEPT!" and somebody did, who's the idiot in that case?

kevinpate
09-20-2011, 08:06 AM
Thunder, I'm not going to get into what is or is not a fair price for your squares.

But, when you want to keep a hard price point, a price line you will not cross, not even to sell to a long time buddy, you ought not post something as MAKE OFFER, WILL ACCEPT.

You think the person was being a low baller. But, that person probably thought he or she was being very fair. Your MAKE OFFER, WILL ACCEPT would suggest to most you either really need the money or you really need whatever space the items are taking up and so you want the items gone quickly. Your WILL ACCEPT implies a fast sale, not a desiring best price, or even a rock bottom price. Any offer, even for a penny, would fit under your unrestricted solicitation.

Perhaps the next time, you might just set out your bottom line. Let's pretend your hard line price is 10 a square, so 200.00 for the 20 blocks. You might use something like one of these:

A. WILL ACCEPT BEST OFFER ABOVE $200.00 THAT I RECEIVE BY NOON ON [INSERT CLOSING DATE]

B. 20 HANDMADE QUILT BLOCKS, Price is Firm at 200.00

You may not get your price, but you'll weed out most of the lowball offers. The more persistent ones should also be more easily identifiable. No need to spend any time on them, not even getting upset about them. Just ignore the responses as being non-responsive to the ad and go forward.

RadicalModerate
09-20-2011, 08:34 AM
It may be like the "Free Kittens" theory of marketing.

"Free Kittens" don't move too fast.

"$20 Kittens" piques interest . . . And you have room to come down to $10 which is $10 more than you really wanted in the first place.

Larry OKC
09-20-2011, 09:03 PM
I don't know how to do it so if someone could...please post the Big Bang Theory clip where Sheldon is doing the "$20 Kitten"...hilarious

RadicalModerate
09-20-2011, 10:20 PM
You mean this one?
(I can post em' but I can't edit 'em down . . . =)

JWhAeI7sGzI

Thunder
09-20-2011, 10:22 PM
"Embedding disabled by request per RadicalModerate. Watch on YouTube."

RadicalModerate
09-20-2011, 11:14 PM
And, of course, to do just that, simply click the "Watch on YouTube" link . . .
(I know that there is a 10 millisecond delay involved in double-clicking but) . . .

Larry OKC
09-21-2011, 09:05 PM
RadicalModerate: Thanks! That is the episode...the scene is at the tail end (no pun intended), roughly the 3:45 mark (by the way, a link is fine by me)

:yourock:

SSEiYah
09-23-2011, 04:29 PM
On average I get about 4 people to contact me first then the 5th one buys it. Some items its like 10 people contact me and dont buy it. Other times it is gone within 10 minutes. Hard to say.