View Full Version : Stoops Contract Extension - 2018 up to $5.15M a year

venture
09-19-2011, 04:59 PM
If he completes it...that is over 20 years in Norman.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/15607465/sooners-gives-stoops-sevenyear-345m-extension

TULSA, Okla. -- Oklahoma regents voted Monday to give Bob Stoops a new contract that would keep him as the Sooners coach through 2018 and pay him $34.5 million over the next seven years.

Stoops got a bump in his annual salary and a handful of bonuses that will reward him for staying in Norman each June -- after the coaching carousel has usually run its course.

The contract calls for Stoops to make $5.15 million in salary and bonuses over the final three years of the deal.

He was already one of the highest-paid coaches in the country, making $30 million over the course of a previous seven-year deal approved in 2009.

Thunder
09-19-2011, 06:21 PM
I am sure he will stay with OU until the day of his death, if he doesn't retire.

Achilleslastand
09-19-2011, 06:47 PM
Thirty-four million to keep the second coming of the messiah. Id say thats a heck of a bargain................

adaniel
09-20-2011, 12:54 AM
Bob Stoops will be happy being the next Joe Paterno. Baring an unforeseen meltdown, he has no reason to leave OU.

When its all said and done I-35 will be the Bob Stoops Freeway. Bank on it.

Thunder
09-20-2011, 01:50 AM
Bob Stoops will be happy being the next Joe Paterno. Baring an unforeseen meltdown, he has no reason to leave OU.

Or name it Interstate Bob Stoops or Interstate BS.

venture
09-20-2011, 07:46 AM
I think some will always argue why he hasn't jumped to go to the NFL and such, but how can you with this money? You also get to be more of a teacher working with kids instead of whiny rich egomaniacs. He will probably stick around to serve out his contract and then Heupel will probably become head coach. God knows we don't want Venables to take it. LOL

Pete
09-20-2011, 06:47 PM
He'll stay at least until his sons finish high school and I think they are 12 now.

He saw his mentor Steve Spurrier take a crack at the NFL, fail, and have to come back to college and start all over again with a lesser program.

Stoops may take a shot at the pros at the end of his career, if at all.

dankrutka
09-20-2011, 07:28 PM
I think some will always argue why he hasn't jumped to go to the NFL and such, but how can you with this money? You also get to be more of a teacher working with kids instead of whiny rich egomaniacs. He will probably stick around to serve out his contract and then Heupel will probably become head coach. God knows we don't want Venables to take it. LOL

Stoops is very pragmatic. He'll stay as long as it's the best situation for him and his family. He has said there is no guarantee that he'll stay, but he also respects the job a ton. Finally, why on earth would Heupel get the job over Venables?!? Venables has been a top notch D-coordinator for a decade. His defense was easily the strength of this team in the FSU win, but has been consistently good over the years. The Venables haters are often unknowledeable or unrealistic often times. Heupel has been a coordinator for 2 games and has been completely unimaginative with the O. The goal line calls last game are a case in point. I love Heupel, but it is a no brainer IMHO that Venables would get the job if the candidate came from this staff. I'm confident that Joe C feels the same...

Snowman
09-20-2011, 07:59 PM
I doubt Stoops will take a shot at the NFL or go to another school, he seems more likely to just retire. He had previously stated that he planes to retire slightly before the point where this contract ends and has maintained a workout regiment that he has directly stated is to family history of heart conditions. He is very aware of coaches that die young due to the stresses of the job and his family history with heart attacks, his father was a coach who died of a heart attack during the 4th quarter of a tight game. He has turned down tones of college offers, really he has a good thing going here so why start from the beginning again.

adaniel
09-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Finally, why on earth would Heupel get the job over Venables?!? Venables has been a top notch D-coordinator for a decade. His defense was easily the strength of this team in the FSU win, but has been consistently good over the years. The Venables haters are often unknowledeable or unrealistic often times. Heupel has been a coordinator for 2 games and has been completely unimaginative with the O. The goal line calls last game are a case in point. I love Heupel, but it is a no brainer IMHO that Venables would get the job if the candidate came from this staff. I'm confident that Joe C feels the same...

x2 . OU has been running vanilla offenses for a while now. But BV has put together at least decent defenses since he's been there, and pretty stout ones post-Florida. Even in our choke jobs the D usually kept the opposing team from just blasting us, its the offense that seizes up. Most OU fans I know realize this, its usually belligerent callers on the Animal that are calling for his head.

If somehow OU pulls of #8 (VERY early I know), I would expect him to get a head coaching job. BV has always been sort of behind the scenes and it would take a championship to elevate his stature.

Bunty
09-24-2011, 06:54 PM
Or name it Interstate Bob Stoops or Interstate BS.

But that name can't be allowed to go further north than the Guthrie exit.

Spartan
09-24-2011, 10:15 PM

Joe Pa makes like $100,000/yr.