View Full Version : NetFlix is now two separate companies.... welcome Qwikster

Pages : [1] 2

BBatesokc
09-19-2011, 06:44 AM
(Yeah I realize there is another thread, or two, but this is a major development and the other thread was way off topic)

According this post on the NetFlix blog (http://blog.netflix.com/), they agree they screwed up - problem is, I personally think they are making even more mistakes with their 'solutions.'

Netflix will now not offer two services (streaming and DVD's by mail), instead they are opting to be two different companies - Netflix for streaming and Qwikster for DVD's by mail.

Qwikster - sounds like the name of a convenience store to me.

So, now not only do the rate increases stay in place but you now have to provide your personal and credit card information to two separate companies, maintain two different queues. Plus, if you review a movie on one company's site, it won't appear on the other - WTH? Not an improvement in my opinion and I'm glad I'm out.

venture
09-19-2011, 07:02 AM
They are packaging the DVD service for a spin off/sell in my opinion. They need to raise the cash for the streaming business to afford the contracts with the studios (or to acquire someone like Hulu). Either way, still some work to do. Expanding the DVD business to now include games is a huge one and something that should have been done years ago. They come into the market #3 behind GameFly and Blockbuster.

I think the next step with Netflix is to introduce tier pricing based on the content being offered. Starz wanted $16 monthly premiums for their content...won't be shocked if we see that. None of the other main competitors to Netflix offer streaming at the low price point. They are all mostly per movie/show and cost $2-4 each. I think we'll see the base rate of $8 remain and if you want a new release, it is $2 per movie or if you want Time Warner movies you pay an additional $5 to 10 a month for unlimited streams - maybe.

Either way, people will piss and moan and whine about how horrible Netflix is instead of growing up and move on to another provider. I kept the Netflix streaming and went with Blockbuster for direct mail stuff. Yeah I'm paying more than the new rate that Netflix went too, but the in-store exchange raised the value of the product for me. To each their own. I just don't understand the idiots on Facebook that still "like" Netflix only to continuously trash them. Some people. LOL

bombermwc
09-19-2011, 07:18 AM
Actually, for me, i've already complained to them (and good luck finding a way to email them) about the lack of offerings in streaming. Especially when things available online aren't available on the Wii. Seeing that "disc only" label on a movie really pisses me off since it takes less for them to offer it online. They have tried to force users into purchasing the disc option as well, and all they have done is alienate their customers. They just lost 1 million customers over this new price plan.

If they don't make some major changes in what's available online, then they're going to lose more folks. And with Starz gone, it's going to get worse before it gets better. There are simply too many options out there for consumers to view these things....and a lot of them for free. Netflix has to maintain it's marketshare by offering a wide range at a fair price. If they can't do that, then they are doomed to follow the brick and mortars to the trashcan.

Online consumers are the most fickle and savy of all consumers. It takes ZERO effort to move over to something like Hulu to watch a show if Netflix doesn't have it. There's no customer loyalty either. It's all about price/service. You don't have it, then the customer will simply move on...they have no reason to stay.

venture
09-19-2011, 08:44 AM
Actually, for me, i've already complained to them (and good luck finding a way to email them) about the lack of offerings in streaming. Especially when things available online aren't available on the Wii. Seeing that "disc only" label on a movie really pisses me off since it takes less for them to offer it online. They have tried to force users into purchasing the disc option as well, and all they have done is alienate their customers. They just lost 1 million customers over this new price plan.

Well if you are really wanting to contact them - pick up the phone. I know. That is incredibly hard and requires having to actually talk to a human being which is so inconvenient and unacceptable in today's society...but still. 1-866-716-0414. LOL

As far as thing not being available on the Wii version, so far I haven't ran into that. Usually I will build my queue online and then go watch it either on the Wii or blu-ray player. I do get annoyed when a series is only partially available from streaming and the rest is on disc. However, it is all a licensing deal and Hulu even puts up with the same thing. I guess we could just pay the $2-4 per movie like Blockbuster's streaming option - or would that be too much?

Yes they've lost around 1 million...800k are DVD customers and 200k were streaming customers. I would have expected a bigger drop in the streaming numbers, but apparently people still see the value in unlimited streaming and not paying per movie. The DVD option...Blockbuster has them beat with new releases so that isn't unexpected.

If they don't make some major changes in what's available online, then they're going to lose more folks. And with Starz gone, it's going to get worse before it gets better. There are simply too many options out there for consumers to view these things....and a lot of them for free. Netflix has to maintain it's marketshare by offering a wide range at a fair price. If they can't do that, then they are doomed to follow the brick and mortars to the trashcan.

Their CEO's comments in his apology letter yesterday hinted at announcements concerning the streaming offering coming up. I don't think people are going to like it though. It will probably be a mix of more "basic" content for the flat monthly fee and then premium fees for newer releases or items from the bigger studios. However, that would still be a better offering than the competition.

Online consumers are the most fickle and savy of all consumers. It takes ZERO effort to move over to something like Hulu to watch a show if Netflix doesn't have it. There's no customer loyalty either. It's all about price/service. You don't have it, then the customer will simply move on...they have no reason to stay.

Unfortunately Hulu doesn't have nearly the library size. I wouldn't really call the online consumer the most savy. A lot, especially in this situation, seem to let emotion and just blatant ignorance blind them to the reality of the situation.

So what options are there?

Netflix - TV & Movies (no new releases)...$7.99/mo unlimited views
Amazon - TV & Movies (new releases avail)...up to $3.99 per episode or movie for every 48 hours.
Amazon Prime - Unlimited TV & Movies for $79/yr or around $6.50 a month (must pay for a year).
Blockbuster - TV & Movies (new releases avail)...up to $3.99 per episode or movie.
VUDU - Movies (new releases avail)...up to $5.99 per movie (for HD, SD is $3.99).
Hulu - TV & Movies (no new releases)...SD option is free with limited library.
Hulu Plus - TV & Movies (no new releases)... HD option, expanded library...$7.99/mo.

So yes...the options are out there. If you just want to watch TV shows...Netflix and Hulu are your only logical options. The others are going to be too expensive (unless you subscribe to Amazon Prime). As far as movies you need to balance the importance of new releases or a more aged library. If you are only after new releases, then the other guys are your best bet but expect to pay for it. I left out the DVD aspect to this as this is mainly focused on streaming only.

So at the end of the day the question remains...should Netflix maintain a $7.99 monthly fee for existing content, what are people going to say when they bring in new releases but charge for them individually like everyone else? Probably more crying and complaining...but what's new.

BBatesokc
09-19-2011, 09:19 AM
There are even more options...... we moved to just renting as needed between Red Box, 7-11 and Blockbuster. I was spending $34/month previously on subscriptions and literally forcing myself to fill my queue since I was being billed for it. Now, instead we treat movies more like a treat instead of an excuse not to do anything else. I pick up a movie during the week sometimes for $1-$2 (rent one get one free a Blockbuster) and then a movie on Sunday at Blockbuster for only $.49.

I'll be spending probably $1-12/month instead. We had gotten into the habit of watching TV all the time and I'm glad we kicked it.

I was talking about this with my grandfather and he compared it to Coca Cola when he was younger. He said originally Coke was a treat that you reserved like a good dessert. He said his friends and parents might have one or two a week and often you saved them for guests or gatherings. Then it became a regular dinner thing when eating out. Now many people drink them for breakfast and throughout the day. He still saves them for special occasions and hates that they don't taste as good as they used to. But he's the same about TV. He remembers when TV was a place you'd gather for news and to watch a favorite show or two with the whole family and you had one TV in your house. Today TV's are often on all day and you have them in multiple rooms so people don't even have to watch as a family. I know things change, but I'm not sure its always for the better.

RadicalModerate
09-19-2011, 09:25 AM
We have been watching the British series--"Midsommer Murders"--on Netflix.

Well, mostly my wife has, but it's a pretty good series, and I definitely prefer it to hours of decorating, house hunting and fabric programming on Basic Cable.

The other evening, during one of the episodes, she said, "Do you realize how much money Netflix is saving us?"

I said, "Huh?"

She said: "If we didn't have this streaming available, I would have had to buy all of the DVDs."
And she added: "I bought the first season, a long time ago. It was expensive."

"Oh," I replied. "Yeah. This is a bargain."

Really. It is.

BBatesokc
09-19-2011, 09:55 AM
Another thing I think they are doing wrong is not being clear. I'm discussing this elsewhere and several people thought the letter on the NetFlix Blog was saying they were not going to now implement the price increase that caused all the outcry to begin with. But that is not how I read it.

NPR has a pretty good article/editorial I agree with here.... http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2011/09/19/140593241/netflix-wont-send-you-dvds-anymore-now-theyll-come-from-qwikster

HewenttoJared
09-19-2011, 10:02 AM
That name is awful. I doubt my kids will use dvd's or Blu-rays, so I understand their move. But Americans are a diverse group of people and many will never understand this move even when streaming has replaced actual television stations and dvr's.

venture
09-19-2011, 10:15 AM
There are even more options...... we moved to just renting as needed between Red Box, 7-11 and Blockbuster. I was spending $34/month previously on subscriptions and literally forcing myself to fill my queue since I was being billed for it. Now, instead we treat movies more like a treat instead of an excuse not to do anything else. I pick up a movie during the week sometimes for $1-$2 (rent one get one free a Blockbuster) and then a movie on Sunday at Blockbuster for only $.49.

I'll be spending probably $1-12/month instead. We had gotten into the habit of watching TV all the time and I'm glad we kicked it.

There are more options but like Netflix, you have to split the disc rental side from streaming because they are two completely different financial models and cost structures. The change you made was definitely to pull back on just how much you are watching. The amount you are mentioning also exceeds what you can solely pin on Netflix, so gotta be fair. You changed your viewing habits and went to a setup that is better for you and you happen to also be spending less.

However, if we are going to discuss the changes made by Netflix and such then you have to compare going by the like usage between Netflix and the competition. Not, "Oh look, I'm saving $22-33 a month since I got rid of Netflix." Since your savings has little to do with dumping Netflix.

MrZ
09-19-2011, 10:35 AM
They should have kept everything under the Netflix moniker and just done an ala carte pricing structure. Pay for what you want to use. This plan is going to bite them in the end. Dividing up their customer base and making people log in to 2 different site is not the way to go.

Thunder
09-19-2011, 10:59 AM
I'm staying on the Netflix side for streaming. Does anyone know if my plan will be locked in (grandfathered) and remain the same despite official plan changes as long I pay on time each month?

Btw, this topic was only started just recently and already a bunch of long posts. :-O

venture
09-19-2011, 11:05 AM
I'm staying on the Netflix side for streaming. Does anyone know if my plan will be locked in (grandfathered) and remain the same despite official plan changes as long I pay on time each month?

Btw, this topic was only started just recently and already a bunch of long posts. :-O

Depends what they do going forward. If they bring in more a la carte options I would imagine a consistent base plan that they have now.

Thunder
09-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Then I'd have to upgrade in order to have access to more movies. But, honestly, they can't do any of that until they have their entire selections to be converted to use CC first before doing price changes. Netflix will lose more customers if they started adding more higher prices without letting us truly have access.

Snowman
09-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Well if you are really wanting to contact them - pick up the phone. I know. That is incredibly hard and requires having to actually talk to a human being which is so inconvenient and unacceptable in today's society...but still. 1-866-716-0414. LOL

As far as thing not being available on the Wii version, so far I haven't ran into that. Usually I will build my queue online and then go watch it either on the Wii or blu-ray player. I do get annoyed when a series is only partially available from streaming and the rest is on disc. However, it is all a licensing deal and Hulu even puts up with the same thing. I guess we could just pay the $2-4 per movie like Blockbuster's streaming option - or would that be too much?

Yes they've lost around 1 million...800k are DVD customers and 200k were streaming customers. I would have expected a bigger drop in the streaming numbers, but apparently people still see the value in unlimited streaming and not paying per movie. The DVD option...Blockbuster has them beat with new releases so that isn't unexpected.

Their CEO's comments in his apology letter yesterday hinted at announcements concerning the streaming offering coming up. I don't think people are going to like it though. It will probably be a mix of more "basic" content for the flat monthly fee and then premium fees for newer releases or items from the bigger studios. However, that would still be a better offering than the competition.

Unfortunately Hulu doesn't have nearly the library size. I wouldn't really call the online consumer the most savy. A lot, especially in this situation, seem to let emotion and just blatant ignorance blind them to the reality of the situation.

So what options are there?

Netflix - TV & Movies (no new releases)...$7.99/mo unlimited views
Amazon - TV & Movies (new releases avail)...up to $3.99 per episode or movie for every 48 hours.
Amazon Prime - Unlimited TV & Movies for $79/yr or around $6.50 a month (must pay for a year).
Blockbuster - TV & Movies (new releases avail)...up to $3.99 per episode or movie.
VUDU - Movies (new releases avail)...up to $5.99 per movie (for HD, SD is $3.99).
Hulu - TV & Movies (no new releases)...SD option is free with limited library.
Hulu Plus - TV & Movies (no new releases)... HD option, expanded library...$7.99/mo.

So yes...the options are out there. If you just want to watch TV shows...Netflix and Hulu are your only logical options. The others are going to be too expensive (unless you subscribe to Amazon Prime). As far as movies you need to balance the importance of new releases or a more aged library. If you are only after new releases, then the other guys are your best bet but expect to pay for it. I left out the DVD aspect to this as this is mainly focused on streaming only.

So at the end of the day the question remains...should Netflix maintain a $7.99 monthly fee for existing content, what are people going to say when they bring in new releases but charge for them individually like everyone else? Probably more crying and complaining...but what's new.

While all that may be true they are handling the public relations terribly.

RadicalModerate
09-19-2011, 07:54 PM
As an unofficial, ad hoc, shareholder, I demand that the name of the new service provider be changed, immediately to KwiXteR.

And I mean, like YESTERDAY!!!.

(Sorry . . . The Basic Cable Decorating/Fabric Shows are on in the background and this has skewed my priorities. I'll give them until the day after tomorrow to make the name change.)

JamesFiend
09-19-2011, 08:30 PM
Interested to see how they do with games. Just tried Gamefly for a month and it was terrible, both in turnaround time and availability of titles. They had about a 7 day turn around time and I never got any of my top 3 games (360). Not like the commercials at all.

Questor
09-19-2011, 08:59 PM
Going forward DVD/Bluray is a dying business so it doesn't surprise me they've done this. It does surprise me they've done this now as opposed to... I don't know, 3 years from now?

RadicalModerate
09-19-2011, 09:04 PM
Three years from now? . . .
I can imagine candles--if you are one of the lucky ones--and those paper things called "books" . . .

Questor
09-19-2011, 09:06 PM
I meant after the economic downturn theoretically ends in 2014.

venture
09-19-2011, 10:56 PM
While all that may be true they are handling the public relations terribly.

Oh for sure. Their PR people need to be canned. They could have handled this so much better. If they would have came out and said "we are changing the pricing structure because we are planning to spin the DVD business off"...it would have had a much different reaction. Someone on the news this evening made a good point. This will reduce their overall subscriber base for "NetFlix" from 23-24 down to 15 million which will make the rate negotiations with the studios better. Right now it sounds like some of the studios are wanting the streaming rates tied to the entire NetFlix membership base, even those that don't stream.

bombermwc
09-20-2011, 06:57 AM
Venture, obviously Hulu isn't the only other option. Do you realize how many things you can watch for FREE and not even pay at all? The market keeps getting bigger and bigger in this field because the public is demanding it. Netflix isn't special anymore...and you sure as crap can't get everything you can imagine anymore like you used to. People are not willing to pay the old price for half the service...flat out.

And you talk about a limited library in the movie category. Wait until you see how much Starz was licensed with and then see what sort of library Netflix ends up with later.

And why in the crap would I want to call in so I can waste my time talking to a tier 1 person that won't actually do anything. If you do enough hunting online, you can find addresses to executives and email them directly. At least you stand somewhat of a chance of getting the message across to someone outside of a call center. Regardless of what your opinion of the practice is, it's served me very well every time I've used it. It takes a little longer to get results (pardon me for not needing the instant gratification of venting to some schmo at a call center), but the end result is far better. Thanks, but I'll stick with what's working...

venture
09-20-2011, 07:40 AM
Venture, obviously Hulu isn't the only other option. Do you realize how many things you can watch for FREE and not even pay at all? The market keeps getting bigger and bigger in this field because the public is demanding it. Netflix isn't special anymore...and you sure as crap can't get everything you can imagine anymore like you used to. People are not willing to pay the old price for half the service...flat out.

Well there are definitely plenty of pirating sites out there to get movies and such for free. TV shows you always have the network websites. However if I'm wanting to watch say...The Tudors or another series, what other legitimate sites are there that allow me to view it for free or with a similar level of service as Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, and the others? People may not be willing to pay what they use to, but production studios are getting ready to bill for it - if not more than previous levels.

And you talk about a limited library in the movie category. Wait until you see how much Starz was licensed with and then see what sort of library Netflix ends up with later.

7% of the their streaming library was from Starz. I'm sure there will be a significant drop, but most of what I watch has nothing to do with them. Netflix for me has been the go to for TV series and indie films that I otherwise would never know about.

And why in the crap would I want to call in so I can waste my time talking to a tier 1 person that won't actually do anything. If you do enough hunting online, you can find addresses to executives and email them directly. At least you stand somewhat of a chance of getting the message across to someone outside of a call center. Regardless of what your opinion of the practice is, it's served me very well every time I've used it. It takes a little longer to get results (pardon me for not needing the instant gratification of venting to some schmo at a call center), but the end result is far better. Thanks, but I'll stick with what's working...

I'm sure company execs love hearing from someone to their business email. Well unless it is like Michael Dell at Dell. If you are email him directly you are just getting an intern. :-P I was under the impression you were just looking for any old email to write the company to, not a specific person's email address. Since more generic company emails go to the same call center schmo you would never want to lower yourself to talk to. However, if you find that it works than so be it. I'm not going to argue since someone is a little hostile/grouchy this morning...geez, at least it isn't Monday. ;-) LOL

BBatesokc
09-20-2011, 07:50 AM
Problem for Netflix (one of them anyway) is that they are not in financial position to actually compete on this still emerging technology now that the playing field is littered with cash happy heavy hitters like Amazon, Microsoft, Apple, Google, etc. who thank Netflix for showing them how to (and not to) perform in this market. Even lowly Hulu is positioned to be sold for far more than Netflix has on hand.

I also think Netflix underestimated the number of impulse subscribers they had (similar to myself), who don't use the service alot, but figured it was priced low enough not to bother canceling it - until they shook things up with an unrealistic price increase.

bombermwc
09-23-2011, 09:49 AM
^ Yuppers....

venture
09-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Netflix today acquired exclusive streaming rights, to start in 2013, for DreamWorks Animation content.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/26/technology/netflix_dreamworks/index.htm?iid=HP_LN

DreamWorks new titles will be available for streaming starting with movies released in 2013. Older movies -- including Antz, Chicken Run, Madagascar 2 and Kung Fu Panda -- will also be made available "over time."

bombermwc
09-29-2011, 08:21 AM
Something interesting I thought about after NPR was talking about this. After Qwikster spins off and Netflix is streaming only, Netflix won't have to abide by the Video Rental Privacy Act anymore so they will be free to share your viewing information with others...ie facebook. Interesting change for them to sell information to marketers out there. I betcha they don't send out a press release on that one...lol

Just the facts
09-29-2011, 08:30 AM
The wife and I are still in discussions about whether to continue the streaming option. We don't use it that often but it is one of those things we like to have in the repertoire just in case. We could actually bump up to the 3 DVD option, cancel the streaming, and still save money.

Now that I think about, I am going to cancel the streaming and if we decide we can’t live without it I can always add it back.

BBatesokc
09-29-2011, 09:03 AM
The best part about their terrible business decisions is that you can cancel, see if you really need/want/use the service as much as you think you do and if so, rejoin with no penalty and you'll have saved the moth or two of fees while you took a break from their service. I think many will find they filled the time with other activities or simply rented as needed from RedBox, BlockBuster or 7-11.

So far in Sept, instead of spending $34 on my online media services I rented three times from 7-11 (Thor, X-men and Bridesmaids) for about $4.

Just the facts
09-29-2011, 09:34 AM
My son is the only one that uses the streaming option on a regular basis and he uses it for SpongeBob, Suite Life, Ice Road Truckers, etc... I can buy those cheaper than paying NetFlix and most episodes are available for free on-line anyhow. If we really wanted to watch a new release, we can do that for $4 on DirecTV Cinema a month before it comes out on DVD or on NetFlix. Truth be known, I don't care for 99% of what comes out of Hollywood now a days anyhow. On the plus side of Streaming, I do watch some movies that I wouldn't otherwise watch just because of the convenience factor.

BBatesokc
09-29-2011, 06:59 PM
http://mashable.com/2011/09/29/netflixs-very-bad-month/

Thunder
09-29-2011, 07:32 PM
I know, Brian. Stupid investors and consumers do stupid things. :-(

MikeOKC
09-29-2011, 07:36 PM
I've read several good business articles about this and they all agree on one thing: it was handled horribly. But as far as splitting the company in two there's many different ideas floating about as to why.

I think the best explanation I have seen is that they are making it easier to sell off the DVD business ASAP and the streaming service eventually to Amazon. There's already speculation that Amazon will buy Netflix streaming. With the new Kindle Fire and a 10" tablet on the horizon for Amazon, it looks like maybe Netflix is setting this up for just such an acquisition. Here's one article - before the Fire was announced:
http://money.msn.com/stock-broker-guided/article.aspx?post=9e1e54a0-7cce-4414-9ddd-45c7e6db1507

The above concludes that Amazon may end up not buying Netflix - but many others think it's the licensing deals and the streaming infrastructure Amazon is after to merge with their own licensing deals. Keep in mind Amazon is already bidding on Hulu.

My money is on an Amazon purchase of Netflix and Hulu to solidify itself as the streaming behemoth.

Thunder
09-29-2011, 07:38 PM
Mike, I want Netflix to stay on its own. Maybe other companies merge into Netflix, but I don't want Netflix going away until well after I die.

BBatesokc
09-29-2011, 07:52 PM
I know, Brian. Stupid investors and consumers do stupid things. :-(

Actually, the stupidity is pretty limited to the company, not the investors or customers.

kevinpate
10-10-2011, 06:24 AM
Looks like Netflix wants to call off the DVD divorce and kiss and make up with its children

Netflix Inc reversed an unpopular decision to put its DVD video rental business on a separate website and rename it Qwikster, saying both DVD and online streaming services will stay on the same website. U.S. customers will continue to go to Netflix.com for streaming and DVD-by-mail rentals, the company said in a statement issued on Monday.

more at:
http://news.yahoo.com/dvds-stay-netflix-website-qwikster-name-dropped-120514851.html

BBatesokc
10-10-2011, 06:55 AM
I think it was crazy to separate the two unless/until they had a buyer - assuming they wanted to sell. Separating prematurely did nothing but hurt the value of the business.

Pete
10-10-2011, 07:20 AM
I've been a long-time subscriber to the streaming + 1-DVD plan for about $10 a month but went to streaming only when they changed their pricing plan.

Then, they sent me an email saying they were splitting companies and that I didn't need to do anything to stay on the 1-DVD / stream plan.

This month, I get a bill for $17. I'm sure the fine print of their email said that was going to happen but it felt very much like a bait-and-switch. I immediately cancelled their entire service and will be much less likely to ever use them again.

Just the facts
10-10-2011, 10:38 AM
According to the Financial Times (London), Netflix has decided not to split up. Quickster is dead.

This just in from Forbes:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2011/10/10/the-qwikster-is-dead-netflix-scraps-decision-to-split-into-two-companies/

Sorry all you Qwikster fanboys out there, Netflix apparently had a bit of sense knocked into them after their earlier, inexplicable decision to split their DVD and streaming businesses into two separate companies.

Now the company is scrapping Qwikster, its infant DVD-only service, amidst unbridled outrage by its customer base. (So far no Occupy Netflix protests, but very close.)

Reed Hastings has to be one of the five dumbest CEOs in America.

On a related note - NetFlix will not be streaming any Disney movies. That is a big chuck of movies.

venture
10-10-2011, 10:42 AM
I've been a long-time subscriber to the streaming + 1-DVD plan for about $10 a month but went to streaming only when they changed their pricing plan.

Then, they sent me an email saying they were splitting companies and that I didn't need to do anything to stay on the 1-DVD / stream plan.

This month, I get a bill for $17. I'm sure the fine print of their email said that was going to happen but it felt very much like a bait-and-switch. I immediately cancelled their entire service and will be much less likely to ever use them again.

Strange that it happened like that. I did the same thing, but never had any issue. Only get my $7.99 charge and that's it. Maybe something didn't save when you submitted the request?

As far as the Qwikster thing being dead...probably the smartest move they have made yet. Read about it this morning on CNN and was thrilled that they may be pulling their head out of their nether region.

skyrick
10-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Here's the text of the email I got from Netflix today:

Dear Richard,

It is clear that for many of our members two websites would make things more difficult, so we are going to keep Netflix as one place to go for streaming and DVDs.

This means no change: one website, one account, one password…in other words, no Qwikster.

While the July price change was necessary, we are now done with price changes.

We're constantly improving our streaming selection. We've recently added hundreds of movies from Paramount, Sony, Universal, Fox, Warner Bros., Lionsgate, MGM and Miramax. Plus, in the last couple of weeks alone, we've added over 3,500 TV episodes from ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, USA, E!, Nickelodeon, Disney Channel, ABC Family, Discovery Channel, TLC, SyFy, A&E, History, and PBS.

We value you as a member, and we are committed to making Netflix the best place to get your movies & TV shows.

Respectfully,

The Netflix Team

I'll stick with 'em. I've already accepted the July price increase, and they have the greatest library available. I'm not a big streamer anyway.

Thunder
10-10-2011, 06:53 PM
Yeah, I got that email, too, but mine said Jesse instead of Richard. :-P

I think the DVDs should've been moved to Qwikster. I was happy to get the DVDs out the way, so that only titles available for online streaming will be shown to me. Now I have to deal with pain and suffering when I see a movie that I want to watch only to find its on DVD only. :-(

Larry OKC
10-11-2011, 08:39 PM
I take it that they don't have a filtering option to only display the format you want??

Thunder
10-11-2011, 08:46 PM
I take it that they don't have a filtering option to only display the format you want??

They don't have the filtering option for Subtitle. You'd have to browse through a genre normally and hope a movie has Subtitle. Or you can scroll down to the bottom of the site and click on Subtitle link and everything are shoved in random order that you just browse thru. No filtering options on the Subtitle section of the site to filter out kiddie flicks.

Thunder
10-13-2011, 11:15 AM
RED ALERT

Star Trek
Deep Space Nine

IS NOW AVAILABLE for INSTANT STREAMING!

SUBTITLE IS ALSO AVAILABLE!

jn1780
10-13-2011, 11:45 AM
RED ALERT

Star Trek
Deep Space Nine

IS NOW AVAILABLE for INSTANT STREAMING!

SUBTITLE IS ALSO AVAILABLE!

This is actually an appropriate time to say red alert since your talking about Star trek.

ljbab728
10-24-2011, 10:42 PM
Not good news for Netflix:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Netflix-loses-800000-US-apf-198318757.html?x=0

Thunder
10-25-2011, 01:19 AM
Not good news for Netflix:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Netflix-loses-800000-US-apf-198318757.html?x=0

Yeah, stupid people do stupid things. Crying about price increase even though its still cheap. People still buy gas and milk and grocery that is costing them more money than Netflix. Stupid people do stupid things and that is a sad fact.

BBatesokc
10-25-2011, 05:43 AM
Yeah, stupid people do stupid things. Crying about price increase even though its still cheap. People still buy gas and milk and grocery that is costing them more money than Netflix. Stupid people do stupid things and that is a sad fact.

The only 'stupid people' in this equation was Netflix and now they are paying for it. They've all but admitted it.

Thunder
10-25-2011, 07:34 AM
The only 'stupid people' in this equation was Netflix and now they are paying for it. They've all but admitted it.

Why don't you start a business then after a year, raise your prices for legit reasons. Want me to call you stupid like you call Netflix stupid? Did you ever say Hiland is stupid for raising milk prices? Did you call Wonder Bread stupid for raising prices?

BBatesokc
10-25-2011, 09:39 AM
Why don't you start a business then after a year, raise your prices for legit reasons. Want me to call you stupid like you call Netflix stupid? Did you ever say Hiland is stupid for raising milk prices? Did you call Wonder Bread stupid for raising prices?

Actually, I don't buy milk and rarely buy bread. Mostly due to the price and the unneeded calories. Also, milk and bread are not necessities and people can quit those products anytime they want - just like the throngs of people that are quitting NetFlix.

Netflix's customers could probably not care less about the 'legitimate reasons' for the price increase. The fact they did it, to the extent they did it, and how they did it were a huge business and PR disaster - something you can't argue against because the proof is in the profits (or lack thereof). They are finding out a huge portion of their customer base were casual customers of convenience. Give them a reason to leave and no reason to stay and they will in fact leave.

Snowman
10-25-2011, 09:54 AM

It is one thing to raise prices, but the tone of the statements sent to customers, hassles Qwikster would have imposed and not offering at least some cost break to getting both did as much harm as well. Plus though still relatively cheap a 60% increase will mean you will get a noticeable drop in users. They have said to investors that they underestimated the drop in users they got which is still less than how many they will lose in the end. It was stupid to not expect the reaction they got. Milk and most other companies generally raise things at a much lower rate like 1% - 5% at a time, unless they have shocks to their costs they can not avoid. Some subscription services will grandfather old plans and make new accounts select higher priced ones. It is not like their was a shortage that forced their costs, they chose the path and timeline they went and did so with what looks like little planning.

Of Sound Mind
10-25-2011, 12:03 PM
It is one thing to raise prices, but the tone of the statements sent to customers, hassles Qwikster would have imposed and not offering at least some cost break to getting both did as much harm as well. Plus though still relatively cheap a 60% increase will mean you will get a noticeable drop in users. They have said to investors that they underestimated the drop in users they got which is still less than how many they will lose in the end. It was stupid to not expect the reaction they got. Milk and most other companies generally raise things at a much lower rate like 1% - 5% at a time, unless they have shocks to their costs they can not avoid. Some subscription services will grandfather old plans and make new accounts select higher priced ones. It is not like their was a shortage that forced their costs, they chose the path and timeline they went and did so with what looks like little planning.
And, generally, milk and bread are more of a necessity than a streaming movie service, so it's easier to justify the smaller increases in costs for necessities over the ridiculous jump in cost for a non-necessity service.

Just the facts
10-25-2011, 12:43 PM
We dropped the streaming portion last week. I saw where Netflix stock price is down 60% over the last month. It was a $300 stock 6 months ago and today it is going for around $76.

BBatesokc
10-25-2011, 12:52 PM
Put a nail in them - they're done. They don't have the cash reserves to compete and they will not gain enough new subscribers to makeup for the ones that left (let alone grow their subscriber base) in the short run. They better hope one of the big boys buys them out while the name is still worth something. The Netflix name under completely new ownership can survive and thrive in the future IMO.

jn1780
10-25-2011, 01:04 PM

Really? Comparing gas to a bunch of crappy old movies that Netflix streaming offers. Sure you can rewatch your favorite tv shows, but eventually that will get old.

Cheap is a relative term. If one friend offered to sell me dog poop for $20 and another friend offered to sell me dog poop for $1, the $1 would be the cheaper deal. I still don't want to waste my money buying dog poop though. 1/3 of a gallon more of gas would still offer me more value.

ljbab728
10-25-2011, 11:34 PM
35% stock plunge today.

http://newsok.com/netflix-shares-tank-amid-backlash-and-defections/article/3616956?custom_click=lead_story_title

Just the facts
10-26-2011, 07:46 AM
Netflix revealed late Monday that it ended September with 23.8 million U.S. subscribers. That's down about 800,000 from June and worse than what the company had hinted at. In September, the company predicted it would lose about 600,000 U.S. customers.

And Netflix said it expects more defections in coming months.

Read more: http://newsok.com/netflix-shares-tank-amid-backlash-and-defections/article/3616956#ixzz1btZPJg7A

I wonder if that 800,000 number is people that canceled 100% or people like me that dropped half the service. I am still a subscriber but my bill actually went down, so even if I don't show up in the 800,000 number they will still make less money off of me.

HewenttoJared
10-26-2011, 10:26 AM
I wonder if that 800,000 number is people that canceled 100% or people like me that dropped half the service. I am still a subscriber but my bill actually went down, so even if I don't show up in the 800,000 number they will still make less money off of me.

Ditto

RadicalModerate
10-26-2011, 11:01 AM
We are currently watching every BBC/British Detective Type Show available on Netflix Streaming. We are also watching the Great Railroad Journeys series from back in the '90's narrated by James Coburn. We are totally enjoying all of it. When we are done enjoying all of those, we will look for other stuff in there to enjoy. I particularly like the Documentary selections available. (You can't find any of this stuff at Redbox.)

I guess I can't figure out where "Dog Poop" figures into this equation, except for most of the First Run offerings at the local Cineplex.

MadMonk
10-26-2011, 11:12 AM
Not to mention those like me, who left Netflix a while back and were considering re-joining, but changed their minds after all this mess.