View Full Version : NetFlix is now two separate companies.... welcome Qwikster

Pages : 1 [2]

Pete
10-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Yep, they had built up a large following and viewed as a new, forward-thinking alternative to the evil Blockbuster empire that had alienated their customer base through absurd late charges.

Now, they look like the bad guys and have largely destroyed their goodwill.

They may be fine but they've lost a lot of people, some perhaps for good. At the very least, lots of their current and former customers are going to be more open to other providers.

venture
10-26-2011, 11:34 AM
I made the decision to suspend Netflix for the 90 days that is allowed. Figured I would try out DirecTV's digital cinema offering on newer programming/movies while they are offering all the movie channels for $10/mo. So far it isn't bad. The only thing I don't like is the wait time to download movies...it isn't streaming. I also don't care for how some shows, like Damages, they only carry the current season when Netflix has all 4. Which shocks me because it is only shown on DirecTV's owned channel.

Either way, finding a nice balance with things. Either way Netflix will get its house in order or get gobbled up. Their next annual shareholder meeting should be pretty entertaining...not sure if their CEO will survive it.

jn1780
10-26-2011, 01:01 PM
We are currently watching every BBC/British Detective Type Show available on Netflix Streaming. We are also watching the Great Railroad Journeys series from back in the '90's narrated by James Coburn. We are totally enjoying all of it. When we are done enjoying all of those, we will look for other stuff in there to enjoy. I particularly like the Documentary selections available. (You can't find any of this stuff at Redbox.)

I guess I can't figure out where "Dog Poop" figures into this equation, except for most of the First Run offerings at the local Cineplex.

Sorry, that was me speaking Thunder. Lol

I watched a lot of tv shows on Netflix too when I first got it, but then I got bored with it. I only been to the Cineplex once the past two years and thats when I had a free past. It takes Netflix streaming over a year just to show the worst of the worst that the Cineplex shows.

Mail-in offers a better selection, but I don't want to plan my movie watching schedule 1 month in advance.

Just the facts
10-26-2011, 09:59 PM
Mail-in offers a better selection, but I don't want to plan my movie watching schedule 1 month in advance.

We do the two DVDs at a time plan and I loaded my queue up with about 100 movies. I don't even know which order they are in so getting the mail every three days is like Christmas. I told the wife if there is anything she wants she better put it at the top of the list or she won't see it for a while.

venture
10-27-2011, 03:55 PM
RedBox decided to bump their fees up to $1.20 from $1 per day.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=83647

Starting on Monday, October 31, the daily rental charge for DVDs will change to $1.20 a day.* The price change is due to rising operating expenses, including new increases in debit card fees. Daily rental charges for Blu-ray™ Discs and video games won't change.** Additional-day charges for DVDs rented before 10/31 won't be affected, either.

MikeOKC
10-27-2011, 04:19 PM
We do the two DVDs at a time plan and I loaded my queue up with about 100 movies. I don't even know which order they are in so getting the mail every three days is like Christmas. I told the wife if there is anything she wants she better put it at the top of the list or she won't see it for a while.

LOL. That sounds just like us. It's always a treat to open the red envelope - never know what to expect.

As for Netflix, I think Amazon is drooling for their streaming business and now stock prices make it almost a steal.

Thunder
10-27-2011, 04:52 PM
RedBox decided to bump their fees up to $1.20 from $1 per day.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=83647

Oh My God! RED BOX IS NOW DOOMED!

Pete
10-27-2011, 05:43 PM
These have probably been around for a while, but now Blockbuster has Redbox-like kiosk machines in some grocery stores.

In Oklahoma, I see that On Cue has them as well:

www.blockbusterexpress.com

jn1780
10-27-2011, 06:45 PM
These have probably been around for a while, but now Blockbuster has Redbox-like kiosk machines in some grocery stores.

In Oklahoma, I see that On Cue has them as well:

www.blockbusterexpress.com

NCR actually owns those Kiosks and has a licensing agreement with Blockbuster to use the brand name. Dish network, Blockbuster's new owner, is actually suing NCR to drop the name.

Roadhawg
10-27-2011, 06:58 PM
(Mashable) -- Despite recent troubles, Netflix is a major force on the Internet, accounting for 32.7% of peak U.S. downstream traffic, according to a new report.

Sandvine Intelligent Broadband Networks' report analyzed 200 Internet service providers in 80 countries and found that real-time entertainment apps take up 60% of peak downstream traffic, up from 50% last year. Netflix has more than half of that share. Sandvine considers the hours between 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. to be peak times.

Like others, Sandvine has also noticed a shift away from PCs to access such content. The company found 55% of traffic volume in North America is consumed on game consoles, set-top boxes, smart TVs and mobile devices. Only 45% is being accessed by laptops or PCs. Video makes up 32.6% of peak downstream mobile traffic, of which YouTube is the largest contributor.

The report comes as Netflix recently lost 800,000 paid subscribers in its most-recent quarter. The company's stock is now trading at less than a third of the amount it was in July.