View Full Version : 'Policing for Profit' - Asset forfeitures in Oklahoma County

BBatesokc
09-15-2011, 02:39 PM
I remember this feature from KFOR and recalled that in the past I could lookup asset forfeitures on OSCN. Either I've forgotten how to do it or the ability has been removed. Anyone here have the answer?

Here is Channel 4's story - I find it interesting and possibly worth discussing. http://www.kfor.com/news/local/kfor-news-policing-for-profit-story,0,730668.story

Thunder
09-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Are you looking to buy what police have stolen?

BBatesokc
09-15-2011, 02:48 PM
Are you looking to buy what police have stolen?

No Thunder. I'm well aware of the times and locations of forfeiture auctions. I am trying to see the active and past cases.

Thunder
09-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Ahh, okay, if you find it, I'd like to see it. :-O

Btw, I don't think the police should have authority to take what they want. They assume that items are paid with drug money. That is not the way justice system is suppose to be. Or something like that. Police need hardcore physical evidence linking items to drug money. Without that, then items shouldn't even be stolen by them.

RealEstateCop1
09-15-2011, 03:19 PM
Ahh, okay, if you find it, I'd like to see it. :-O

Btw, I don't think the police should have authority to take what they want. They assume that items are paid with drug money. That is not the way justice system is suppose to be. Or something like that. Police need hardcore physical evidence linking items to drug money. Without that, then items shouldn't even be stolen by them.

Really?

kevinpate
09-15-2011, 03:20 PM
BBates ... I don't see a cat for it in the available choices at OSCN. It might be there, and I'm just not spotting it. Sorry.

Thunder, the level of proof needed for a successful forfeiture action is not real high. I'm not saying it ought to be that way, but it is.
You have a tendency to use words rather loosely. For example, items seized for possible forfeiture are not items stolen. Words have meanings, and you're more than grown up enough to know better than to phrase some things the way you tend to phrase them. If an officer does steal something, he can be held accountable, the same as if you were to steal something from another vendor at the market or a neighbor. If an officer seizes something for possible forfeiture, that's not stealing. An aggrieved party can challenge the taking of that item, be it cash, vehicle, plasma tellys or whatever. The challenge may fail, or it may not, but either way the item was not stolen from him or her.

bombermwc
09-19-2011, 07:30 AM
Oh Thunder, like usual you simply speak out of your rear rather than know anything at all about what you are talking about.