View Full Version : OPUBCO to be sold

Pages : [1] 2

UnFrSaKn
09-15-2011, 08:28 AM
http://newsok.com/opubco-to-be-sold/article/3604380?custom_click=lead_story_title

Published: September 15, 2011

For over 108 years the Gaylord and Dickinson families have controlled The Oklahoma Publishing Company, locally known as OPUBCO. According to Christy Everest, Chairman and CEO of OPUBCO, that will change in early October when all of the stock of OPUBCO will be sold to The Anschutz Corporation, owned by Denver-based businessman Philip Anschutz.

Steve
09-15-2011, 08:34 AM
heh heh.... it's a brave new world now.

Skyline
09-15-2011, 08:35 AM
Wow!!

Just the facts
09-15-2011, 08:54 AM
It will be interesting what the Gaylord family does with all the money and no more business interest. They are going to have to spend it somewhere. I hope it is on downtown housing, hotel, and retail. A certain 1 million sq foot building comes to mind. Anyone care to live/work/play at The Gaylord Tower?

Pete
09-15-2011, 08:54 AM
HOLY COW!! Wow, what a stunning turn of events.

Anschutz is one of the richest men in the world and owns lots of sports teams (L.A. Kings, MLS teams) and arenas (Staples Center and Spirit Center in KC). He also owns newspapers in SF, Baltimore and Washington.

If anything, he is even more socially ultra-conservative than the Gaylords, having bank-rolled lots of anti gay marriage initiatives and supporting a foundation that openly challenges evolution.

ou48A
09-15-2011, 09:12 AM
OPUBCO to be sold

For over 108 years the Gaylord and Dickinson families have controlled The Oklahoma Publishing Company, locally known as OPUBCO. According to Christy Everest, Chairman and CEO of OPUBCO, that will change in early October when all of the stock of OPUBCO will be sold to The Anschutz Corporation, owned by Denver-based businessman Philip Anschutz. The Anschutz Corporation will be acquiring all the assets which OPUBCO owns or has an interest in, including: The Oklahoman, NewsOK.com, the corporate headquarters building, the printing facilities and all associated real estate; Pavestone LLC, headquartered in Dallas, a leading manufacturer of concrete pavers, retaining walls, and other landscaping materials with manufacturing plants in 18 cities; De Wafelbakkers LLC, a fast growing breakfast food company based in Little Rock, with manufacturing plants in Arkansas and Georgia; The Broadmoor Hotel, a 5-star, 5-diamond 744-room resort in Colorado Springs, set at the foot of the Rocky Mountains featuring championship golf, world class spa and a full service tennis program; Manitou & Pike’s Peak Railway Company, the world’s highest railway that travels to the top of Pike’s Peak; the Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort & Spa, a 500-room resort hotel, spa and 18-hole golf course located east of Austin along the Colorado River; numerous other real estate holdings in Oklahoma and Colorado; water rights underlying the Greenland Ranch in Douglas County, Colorado consisting of 1.5 million acre feet of subsurface water; an aviation company in Oklahoma City; a 100 piece collection of artwork by the Western Masters; and an interest in Suddenlink Communications, the nation’s seventh largest cable broadband company serving approximately 1.4 million residential customers and thousands of commercial customers in the southwest region of the country, among other items.

“Mr. Anschutz approached us with a unique offer in early June. Our Board of Directors had to consider his proposal seriously and from several different perspectives – that of our 254 supportive and patient shareholders, our thousands of employees, the communities in which we operate, the legacies of the Gaylord and Dickinson families, and the general wellbeing of OPUBCO itself. This transaction will not cause OPUBCO to disappear - rather, only the ownership will change. There are amazing similarities between the interests and conservative values of The Anschutz Corporation and those of OPUBCO,” said Mrs. Everest. “Mr. Anschutz’s stewardship of OPUBCO’s properties will carry the company’s 108 year history well into the future. His roots lie in ranching and oil and gas exploration, and his holdings have expanded into publishing and hotel properties. His interests are remarkably consistent with the interests developed by our family over the last three generations, right down to his love of the West and western values.”

Click here to read the complete article at NewsOK.com.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=12&articleid=20110915_12_0_Forove725215

Rover
09-15-2011, 09:17 AM
This came from left field.

How does this impact their reportedly controlling of OKC, Maps, etc? Will they still be part of the big collusion or will the new owners root out all the evil doings?

BG918
09-15-2011, 09:26 AM
It will be interesting what the Gaylord family does with all the money and no more business interest. They are going to have to spend it somewhere. I hope it is on downtown housing, hotel, and retail. A certain 1 million sq foot building comes to mind. Anyone care to live/work/play at The Gaylord Tower?

Maybe another big expansion at Gaylord Oklahoma Memorial Stadium? Another new building at OU perhaps?

I honestly didn't realize OPUBCO was so large and encompassed so many different companies including Pavestone, which is one of the largest paver companies in the U.S. if not the world.

Just the facts
09-15-2011, 09:33 AM
Maybe another big expansion at Gaylord Oklahoma Memorial Stadium? Another new building at OU perhaps?

They need to have a source of income. Naming buildings at OU is a cost. The money they make from the sale has to be spent somewhere. This has got to be close to a billion dollar transaction if not more.

Pete
09-15-2011, 09:37 AM
Isn't it strange they are selling EVERYTHING to him? You would think they would want to keep some properties and businesses...

They are going to be coming into some huge amounts of cash with no business interests at all. Christy Everest is a a very sharp person and only around 50 years old.

Perhaps Anschutz basically said, "I'll take over your failing publishing business but I want everything else, too." They probably couldn't pass up the opportunity to dump the Oklahoman and had to give up everything else in order to get him to buy it.

So now, two big questions: 1) what do the Gaylords do with all this money; and 2) what are Anschutz's intentions?

Here's hoping that this means more money being invested into OKC.

Spartan
09-15-2011, 09:41 AM
They need to have a source of income. Naming buildings at OU is a cost. The money they make from the sale has to be spent somewhere. This has got to be close to a billion dollar transaction if not more.

Shocking for a worthless newspaper, eh?

Soonerus
09-15-2011, 09:44 AM
any guesses on the total package price ??

Just the facts
09-15-2011, 09:45 AM
So now, two big questions: 1) what do the Gaylords do with all this money; and 2) what are Anschutz's intentions?

Answers:

1) Hopefully invest in downtown OKC
2) Did anyone tell him about OKCs fund to reward companies for moving to OKC?

Swake2
09-15-2011, 09:47 AM
Isn't it strange they are selling EVERYTHING to him? You would think they would want to keep some properties and businesses...

They are going to be coming into some huge amounts of cash with no business interests at all. Christy Everest is a a very sharp person and only around 50 years old.

Perhaps Anschutz basically said, "I'll take over your failing publishing business but I want everything else, too." They probably couldn't pass up the opportunity to dump the Oklahoman and had to give up everything else in order to get him to buy it.

Here's hoping that this means more money being invested into OKC.

Anschutz lives in Denver, owns pro teams in LA and is a big University of Kansas booster (and grad). He will have little to no local focus.

okcisok
09-15-2011, 09:58 AM
heh heh.... it's a brave new world now.

Steve, here's hoping your trip to the brave new world is a smooth one. That is, if you want to go.

hewi
09-15-2011, 09:58 AM
1)"He started the Examiner in early 2005 as local competition to The Washington Post, but with a clear ideological stamp. When it came to the editorial page, Anschutz’s instructions were explicit — he “wanted nothing but conservative columns and conservative op-ed writers,” said one former employee. And recently the paper’s politics have become more pronounced while adding a stable of writers plucked from conservative outlets and think tanks, including chief political correspondent Byron York (National Review), senior political analyst Michael Barone (American Enterprise Institute, Fox News) and investigative reporter David Freddoso (National Review, author of “The Case Against Barack Obama”)"

Wow, Really?:ohno:

2)Wonder how many jobs are moving to Denver from other OPUBCO holdings?

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1009/28355.html

OKCTalker
09-15-2011, 09:59 AM
Christy is close to age 60, but certainly looks & acts 10 years younger.
They didn't sell anything in Nashville that I saw.
They were hoping to develop a large resort between Denver and Denver Int'l Airport - didn't see that either.
And I doubt that their quiet philanthropic efforts will change.

There's a lot about OPUBCO and the Gaylord family that people don't know.

betts
09-15-2011, 09:59 AM
HOLY COW!! Wow, what a stunning turn of events.

Anschutz is one of the richest men in the world and owns lots of sports teams (L.A. Kings, MLS teams) and arenas (Staples Center and Spirit Center in KC). He also owns newspapers in SF, Baltimore and Washington.

If anything, he is even more socially ultra-conservative than the Gaylords, having bank-rolled lots of anti gay marriage initiatives and supporting a foundation that openly challenges evolution.

Great. He and Steve Kern will be BFFs. Maybe the Reverend can use the letters to the editor page of the Oklahoman, instead of clogging up the Gazette page.

Pete
09-15-2011, 10:00 AM
Anschutz lives in Denver, owns pro teams in LA and is a big University of Kansas booster (and grad). He will have little to no local focus.

He owns teams and has significant investments all over the world.

At the very least, I bet he's going to look long and hard at putting an MLS team and facility in OKC.

RadicalModerate
09-15-2011, 10:26 AM
Hopefully, the buyer has no known association with YUM foods.

Just the facts
09-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Christy is close to age 60, but certainly looks & acts 10 years younger.
They didn't sell anything in Nashville that I saw.
They were hoping to develop a large resort between Denver and Denver Int'l Airport - didn't see that either.
And I doubt that their quiet philanthropic efforts will change.

There's a lot about OPUBCO and the Gaylord family that people don't know.

I am pretty sure the Gaylords divested themselves and OPUBCO from Gaylord Entertainment/Hotels about 10 years ago. Gaylord Entertainment was spun-off from OPUBCO in 1991 although some Gaylord family memebers owned significant stock amounts in the new company. Earlier this year they sold a lot of their personal stock in Gaylord Entertainment.

Larry OKC
09-15-2011, 10:43 AM
wow

Larry OKC
09-15-2011, 10:51 AM
I am pretty sure the Gaylords divested themselves and OPUBCO from Gaylord Entertainment/Hotels about 10 years ago. Gaylord Entertainment was spun-off from OPUBCO in 1991 although some Gaylord family memebers owned significant stock amounts in the new company. Earlier this year they sold a lot of their personal stock in Gaylord Entertainment.
Aren't the hotel resort complexs mentioned in the story owned by Gaylord Entertainment???

Just the facts
09-15-2011, 10:55 AM
Aren't the hotel resort complexs mentioned in the story owned by Gaylord Entertainment???

No, they are owned by OPUBCO. Gaylord Hotels is owned by Gaylord Entertainment which is a stand-alone company spun off from OPUBCO in 1991 and is based in Nashville.

MrZ
09-15-2011, 10:56 AM
Great, looks like the Oklahoman is going to go from conservative to ultra-conservative now. Hope it dies a quick death.

Just the facts
09-15-2011, 11:08 AM
At the very least, I bet he's going to look long and hard at putting an MLS team and facility in OKC.

He owns about 1/4 of the teams in the MLS.

LA Galaxy
Chicago Fire
Houston Dynamo
San Jose Earthquakes
New York / New Jersey Metro Stars
Kansas City Wizards

PhiAlpha
09-15-2011, 11:11 AM
Great, looks like the Oklahoman is going to go from conservative to ultra-conservative now. Hope it dies a quick death.

That wouldn't be good for anyone, especially all of its employees. Besides its sports section is pretty good.

You have the option of not reading it, I suggest you take it.

OKCisOK4me
09-15-2011, 11:12 AM
Here we are trying to achieve a tier 2 city status and we won't even have a major newspaper? I hope they improve the Jokelahoman if anything!

Pete
09-15-2011, 12:16 PM
This will definitely help the long-term prospects of the Oklahoman. They have been bleeding money for a long time and perhaps the synergy with the other publications owned by Anschutz will make it more viable.

Wow, just shows how fast the world is changing around us. Who would have dreamed of the Gaylords selling at all -- let alone to Philip Anschutz -- even 10 years ago?

Here is a good article about Anschutz and his other publications:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1009/28355.html

Jim Kyle
09-15-2011, 12:21 PM
I hope they improve the Jokelahoman if anything!They might, if you consider Fox News to be an improvement.

The key point here that I see is that the new owner will have no local focus. That may mean more balanced coverage of local questions, at the expense of getting totally one-sided views of national and international events. I suspect that some of us will consider it improvement, and others will see degradation.

I just hope that the rather floundering efforts to prop up the print operations will become a bit more stable, and that it will return to being a daily newspaper rather than a tabloid wannabe. A biased editorial page is something we've always had, and I can live with that. Similarly slanted or incomplete coverage of events, on the other hand...

MikeOKC
09-15-2011, 01:04 PM
They might, if you consider Fox News to be an improvement.

The key point here that I see is that the new owner will have no local focus. That may mean more balanced coverage of local questions, at the expense of getting totally one-sided views of national and international events. I suspect that some of us will consider it improvement, and others will see degradation.

I just hope that the rather floundering efforts to prop up the print operations will become a bit more stable, and that it will return to being a daily newspaper rather than a tabloid wannabe. A biased editorial page is something we've always had, and I can live with that. Similarly slanted or incomplete coverage of events, on the other hand...

Good analysis, Jim. I've criticized The Oklahoman in other threads about their complete blackout (censorship) of any of the negative news regarding Aubrey McClendon that is covered even by the national financial press. So, the bolded portion of your comment is a big concern of mine (on other topics other than AKM as well). With the new ownership, it will be interesting. Anschutz has close ties to Larry Nichols through The American Petroleum Institute (last I knew Nichols was still Chairman of the Board of the API). And then he's crossed paths with McClendon with mutual support for anti-evolution groups and a few other "Christian-Right" groups.

Also, and I haven't seen this mentioned, Anschutz will probably be re-branding the newspaper as The Oklahoma (or Oklahoma City) Examiner. He uses that name for all of his newspapers and I just read where he has trademarked the "Examiner" name in 60 cities. Has that been discussed or mentioned yet?

This may be like jumping from the frying pan into the fire. Time will tell.

Just the facts
09-15-2011, 01:19 PM
Anschutz has close ties to Larry Nichols through The American Petroleum Institute (last I knew Nichols was still Chairman of the Board of the API).

From the 'Connecting the Dots" file, one of the leading users of the Denver Convention Center is the American Petroleum Institute and its off-shoots.

RadicalModerate
09-15-2011, 01:48 PM
Dang . . .
Now (all of a sudden) I will feel not guilty about not renewing my subscription to the tree-based by-product edition that would attempt to return to the environment by not being properly wrapped in non-bio-degradable plastic . . . When it arrived on time.

Hopefully, the on-line version will make up for that.

I know, for sure, that I will miss not having my--somewhat dated--perception of reality/news (with a certain editorial spin) unavailable at the end of the driveway.

I wonder if The Buyer ever had The Caveat Emptor thing run by them during negotiations preceeding the purchase . . . Maybe the laws are different in Tennessee or wherever.

soonerguru
09-15-2011, 01:48 PM
Good analysis, Jim. I've criticized The Oklahoman in other threads about their complete blackout (censorship) of any of the negative news regarding Aubrey McClendon that is covered even by the national financial press. So, the bolded portion of your comment is a big concern of mine (on other topics other than AKM as well). With the new ownership, it will be interesting. Anschutz has close ties to Larry Nichols through The American Petroleum Institute (last I knew Nichols was still Chairman of the Board of the API). And then he's crossed paths with McClendon with mutual support for anti-evolution groups and a few other "Christian-Right" groups.

Also, and I haven't seen this mentioned, Anschutz will probably be re-branding the newspaper as The Oklahoma (or Oklahoma City) Examiner. He uses that name for all of his newspapers and I just read where he has trademarked the "Examiner" name in 60 cities. Has that been discussed or mentioned yet?

This may be like jumping from the frying pan into the fire. Time will tell.

Why would Aubrey McClendon be against the Theory of Evolution? I do know he's a gay-hater, although he probably hires gay and lesbian people.

This is not the kind of ownership that will improve the Oklahoman. It will probably actually get worse.

We'll have the state newspaper advocating for the KOCH Brothers controlling our education system soon.

RadicalModerate
09-15-2011, 02:35 PM
I knew that there was a silver lining in here somewhere . . .

Spartan
09-15-2011, 02:37 PM
That wouldn't be good for anyone, especially all of its employees. Besides its sports section is pretty good.

You have the option of not reading it, I suggest you take it.

I think there is the general idea that if we all stop supporting to the Jokelahoman, then possibly a real newspaper might happen in its place.

But is it possible we could miss the days of OPUBCO? I know I will at least miss being able to make Dark Tower jokes...

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfefO7htaY_BmKhIr4v3bPvCxK2JTy9 MOjPAIy9Powda8V3fCr

bluedogok
09-15-2011, 02:44 PM
I first saw it when a Denver Business Journal article came up about selling the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs.

Denver Business Journal - Phil Anschutz buying Broadmoor (http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news/2011/09/15/phil-anschutz-buying-broadmoor.html)

I knew they had an investemet in Pavestone, I didn't know the Hyatt Lost Pines Resort near Bastrop was a Gaylord property.

urbanity
09-15-2011, 03:02 PM
http://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/article-13003-gaylord-family-selling-the-oklahoman-opubco.html

OKCTalker
09-15-2011, 03:06 PM
For those of you throwing rocks at the Oklahoman, consider yourselves lucky to have a solid print publication at all. Hundreds of print publications have closed in the past few years, and we could have been next. Blogs aren't the answer - a blog is simply graffiti with punctuation.

kevinpate
09-15-2011, 03:09 PM
... Blogs aren't the answer - a blog is simply graffiti with punctuation.

And sometimes, even that gives more credit than due.

bombermwc
09-15-2011, 03:31 PM
Did you see the list of all the crap OPUBCO owns? No wonder they haven't been able to keep anything going! They own so much crap in so many industries, how can you have any synergy in your companies when every aspect of it does something different. It's like someone went shopping at the wal-mart of the business world and picked out what they wanted on the list.

All I can hope for is that the new owners are able to turn it into a paper worth the pulp it's printed on. Leave the editorial crap behind, include some good thought in the thing, and don't make it so one-sided. Step one - take contributors like Trammel and make him report instead of write a blog in the paper. Step two - include some articles that impact us, not just stupid crap. Take a look at some of the scientific stuff papers like the San Fransisco Cronicle run...and we've got what, the metro section. Ugh.

kevinpate
09-15-2011, 03:38 PM
From what little I've gleaned thus fat, I'm already in the camp that can see the locals, come 2014 or sooner, wishing the metro had a newspaper that was prone to a more moderate approach instead of a hardline far right approach ... "you know, like we had before the Gaylord family cashed out"

Not saying that's going to happen, but I'm not saying it won't either.

Of Sound Mind
09-15-2011, 03:47 PM
Did you see the list of all the crap OPUBCO owns? No wonder they haven't been able to keep anything going! They own so much crap in so many industries, how can you have any synergy in your companies when every aspect of it does something different. It's like someone went shopping at the wal-mart of the business world and picked out what they wanted on the list.
It's called a diverse portfolio. Helps to balance out the ebbs and flows of the different industries. It's actually quite impressive. And it doesn't seem to adversely affect the businessman who just bought it all... look at his holdings.

Edgar
09-15-2011, 03:48 PM
now that's what OKC has been lacking, a mean-spirited greedy Bible thumper.

RadicalModerate
09-15-2011, 04:09 PM
It's called a diverse portfolio. Helps to balance out the ebbs and flows of the different industries. It's actually quite impressive. And it doesn't seem to adversely affect the businessman who just bought it all... look at his holdings.

Sounds like one of the best unintentional set-up lines to a joke ever.
Where's Bob Hope? . . .

Oh! "Mean Spirited, Greedy, Bible-Thumper" . . . Excellent!!!! (still chuckling)

Steve
09-15-2011, 04:11 PM
for those of you throwing rocks at the oklahoman, consider yourselves lucky to have a solid print publication at all. Hundreds of print publications have closed in the past few years, and we could have been next. Blogs aren't the answer - a blog is simply graffiti with punctuation.

like^

king183
09-15-2011, 04:14 PM
Anyone know if OUPUBCO had any financial interests in the Thunder that will now be transferred?

Perhaps he'll become a new partial owner?

Bailey80
09-15-2011, 05:52 PM
For those of you throwing rocks at the Oklahoman, consider yourselves lucky to have a solid print publication at all. Hundreds of print publications have closed in the past few years, and we could have been next. Blogs aren't the answer - a blog is simply graffiti with punctuation.

Dude, way to quote Elliott Gould in Contagion.

Jim Kyle
09-15-2011, 06:48 PM
He well may do that -- but if he does, he will be throwing away 108 years of historical background. Nor only that, he may pick up some of the tarnish still associated with William Randolph Hearst's "Examiner" operations.

As for your picking up on my comment about incomplete coverage, I should mention that in late 1958 or early 1959 I was told in so many words by my city editor that "It's not news until we print it" when I wanted to do a story about neighborhood dissatisfaction with the proposed location of a new grade school not far from my just-purchased home near SW 59 and May. Incomplete coverage, including complete suppression of some subjects, has a long history not just here but everywhere in the newspaper business.

Just the facts
09-15-2011, 07:32 PM

Richard Branson must bewilder the crud out of you. His Virgin Group has over 400 companies.

bluedogok
09-15-2011, 08:08 PM
Richard Branson must bewilder the crud out of you. His Virgin Group has over 400 companies.
...or Warren Buffet, here's the list of companies that are majority owned by Berkshire Hathaway.

Acme Brick Company
Applied Underwriters
Ben Bridge Jeweler
Benjamin Moore & Co.
Berkshire Hathaway Group
Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies
BoatU.S.
Borsheims Fine Jewelry
Buffalo NEWS, Buffalo NY
Business Wire
Burlington Northern Santa Fe Corp.
Central States Indemnity Company
Clayton Homes
CORT Business Services
CTB Inc.
Fechheimer Brothers Company
FlightSafety
Forest River
Fruit of the Loom
Garan Incorporated
Gateway Underwriters Agency
GEICO Auto Insurance
General Re
Helzberg Diamonds
H.H. Brown Shoe Group
HomeServices of America, a subsidiary of MidAmerican Energy Holdings Company
International Dairy Queen, Inc.
Iscar Metalworking Companies
Johns Manville
Jordan's Furniture
Justin Brands
Larson-Juhl
Marmon Holdings, Inc.
McLane Company
Medical Protective
MidAmerican Energy Holdings Company
MiTek Inc.
National Indemnity Company
Nebraska Furniture Mart
NetJets
The Pampered Chef
Precision Steel Warehouse, Inc.
RC Willey Home Furnishings
Richline Group
Scott Fetzer Companies
See's Candies
Shaw Industries
Star Furniture
TTI, Inc.
United States Liability Insurance Group
XTRA Corporation

Just the facts
09-15-2011, 10:08 PM
Acme Brick Company

I buy anvils, rocket skates, giant pogo sticks, catapults, and jet packs from them.

metro
09-15-2011, 10:46 PM
Wow, this came out of left field. I leave out of state for a few days and hear this. Hopefully it is a good change. I too am interested to see what the Gaylords next move is. The Oklahoman had to be a bleeding liability more than an asset, thus the other pieces involved. Hopefully this means more money flowing through OKC.

stlokc
09-15-2011, 10:59 PM
God knows I have issues with the Oklahoman, but I can't see this as anything but a negative for OKC. Say what you will about Everests, etc. But they are still local people with long-standing ties and I do think they always saw the Oklahoman as their company's crown jewel, with the long family ties they have in OKC and the history they have. An out of state owner is not going to have that local focus. I doubt seriously whether they will make huge investments here. Plus OKC is losing a publicly-traded company. I just don't like this.

soonerguru
09-15-2011, 11:01 PM
It's a shame the Gaylords chose to sell the state's largest paper to an arch-con crazy instead of a reputable news organization, but not at all surprising.

Doug Loudenback
09-16-2011, 04:51 AM
According to the Tulsa World (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20110916_16_A1_CUTLIN761524),

Anschutz is involved in many conservative and charitable causes and foundations, including the Institute for American Values, which opposes same-sex marriage, and the Discovery Institute, which promotes "intelligent design" as an alternative theory to evolution.

Just the facts
09-16-2011, 06:06 AM
Plus OKC is losing a publicly-traded company.

What publicly traded company? OPUBCO is a private company with only 256 stock holders.

Double Edge
09-16-2011, 06:12 AM
According to the Tulsa World (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20110916_16_A1_CUTLIN761524),

Anschutz is involved in many conservative and charitable causes and foundations, including the Institute for American Values, which opposes same-sex marriage, and the Discovery Institute, which promotes "intelligent design" as an alternative theory to evolution.

Wonderful. I will continue to not be a subscriber or advertiser.

Just the facts
09-16-2011, 07:00 AM
If you guys want to talk about political aspect of the newspaper there is a thread about that in the politics section. We need to keep this thread business focused because it can spiral out of control real easy.

Double Edge
09-16-2011, 07:12 AM
Eh. Everything is relevant. A large part of OPUBCO's business is political influence and this isn't going to change that. If anything, it appears it will take a nasty turn. No point in pretending it's something else.