View Full Version : OU - Florida State

ljbab728
09-14-2011, 11:47 PM
Official watch party of the OU Club of Greater OKC.

All OU fans are welcome

http://www.ouclubofokc.com/watchparty9-1-2011_sm.pdf

Thunder
09-15-2011, 12:35 AM
Is this the team we exterminated at our last BCS victory?

ljbab728
09-15-2011, 12:43 AM

No, our last BCS victory was last year against Connecticut. If you mean last national championship, it's the same school with a different team.

MrZ
09-15-2011, 07:42 AM
I'm guessing things might be a little heated on the field and in the stands after the Twitter debacle, even with the apology from FSU.

Achilleslastand
09-15-2011, 09:26 AM

It was a national championship. And 13-2 is hardly an extermination especially when they were w/o peter warrick.

dankrutka
09-15-2011, 01:10 PM
I'm guessing things might be a little heated on the field and in the stands after the Twitter debacle, even with the apology from FSU.

I hope things aren't too ridiculous. I'll be there tomorrow...

dmoor82
09-15-2011, 04:54 PM
It was a national championship. And 13-2 is hardly an extermination especially when they were w/o peter warrick.

FSU was lucky to get that 2 points!considering FSU was trying to repeat and that was only Stoops' second year imo it was an Awesome win!

earlywinegareth
09-15-2011, 06:09 PM
Didn't we botch the punt and the punter kicked it backwards out of the endzone to prevent FSU from scoring a TD? So essentially OU scored all of the points that night.

I hope OU does something unusual and puts in a solid road performance. I agree with what James Hale said the other day - OU must start the game playing well. The recent road losses we've had, OU fell behind early and had to play catch up. Last year vs Mizzou allowing the opening kickoff return for a TD...down 7-0 in the first minute. At A&M, fell behind 9-0 in the opening minutes. We're not good enough to come out sloppy and expect a W against a quality opponent.

Thunder
09-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Didn't we botch the punt and the punter kicked it backwards out of the endzone to prevent FSU from scoring a TD? So essentially OU scored all of the points that night.

I hope OU does something unusual and puts in a solid road performance. I agree with what James Hale said the other day - OU must start the game playing well. The recent road losses we've had, OU fell behind early and had to play catch up. Last year vs Mizzou allowing the opening kickoff return for a TD...down 7-0 in the first minute. At A&M, fell behind 9-0 in the opening minutes. We're not good enough to come out sloppy and expect a W against a quality opponent.

What are you trying to do here?! Don't remind us all! We OU fans would like all losses deleted from record (at least in our memory). :-/

Dustin
09-17-2011, 05:49 PM
I'm scared! I think we'll pull out a win but it'll be close!!!!

Dustin
09-17-2011, 06:03 PM
Travis lewis is in!!!

MDot
09-17-2011, 08:18 PM
If it wasn't for that first drive, OU would be in more trouble than they are already.

Dustin
09-17-2011, 09:24 PM
Holy.......s***...

Thunder
09-17-2011, 09:38 PM
I am not satisfied with the remaining minute. They should have gone for another touchdown by running it and if unsuccessful, then kick for 3. Frickin gawd, we need more points than that! Hope it is enough to gain us more points in ratings (beside the #1 thingy).

skyrick
09-17-2011, 09:43 PM
I am not satisfied with the remaining minute. They should have gone for another touchdown by running it and if unsuccessful, then kick for 3. Frickin gawd, we need more points than that! Hope it is enough to gain us more points in ratings (beside the #1 thingy).

Thunder, it's called "class". Florida State played a hell of a game against us. It was a sign of respect from Stoops not to get an unnecessary score. Stoops...the ultimate in good sportsmanship.

Thunder
09-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Thunder, it's called "class". Florida State played a hell of a game against us. It was a sign of respect from Stoops not to get an unnecessary score. Stoops...the ultimate in good sportsmanship.

I know that, but he also need to know not to allow his weakness to be the doom. We need everything we can get, by the grace of Messiah, it is going to be on thin line if OU can go to the BCS National Championship game or not. Hell, the entire BCS is screwed by votes. Just worried this year. OU could win all games, but if teams #2 and #3 scores more points, I'm just afraid they will knock OU down.

ljbab728
09-17-2011, 10:08 PM
I know that, but he also need to know not to allow his weakness to be the doom. We need everything we can get, by the grace of Messiah, it is going to be on thin line if OU can go to the BCS National Championship game or not. Hell, the entire BCS is screwed by votes. Just worried this year. OU could win all games, but if teams #2 and #3 scores more points, I'm just afraid they will knock OU down.

Not to worry. When you win on the road against #5, even if it's by one point, you won't be knocked down.

SoonerQueen
09-17-2011, 10:21 PM
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a211/SoonerQueen/OU%20sports/m_b3df806aa5174969aed4345801ec2d57.jpg

MDot
09-17-2011, 11:06 PM
OU's defense was amazing besides on 3rd & 28, but besides that I was very impressed. Their offense though, especially at the goal line, could use a bit more practice and Heupel shouldn't run it straight up the middle on 3rd & goal when Florida State had proven they can stop the run pretty easily when they need to. It could have very easily been 21-3 at Halftime in favor of Oklahoma with just 2 better ran plays. Then again, I'm no coach or even expert on what should be called so maybe I'm the one who needs practice. ;-)

Not taking away from the great road win against the #5 team in the nation, just a few irritating playcalls that really stood out to me. But overall it was a great game and I think OU has proven they can and will go into hostile territory and play rather impressively and somewhat dominately, even though the score was a whole lot closer and Florida State had a legit chance to win late but failed to get anything going after both FSU and OU touchdowns.

blangtang
09-18-2011, 12:03 AM
Great game indeed! I am no coach, just a tv watcher dude and I wonder if the inside the 5 woes could be solved by a 4 or 5 wide receiver set instead of a tight bunch. In years past the passing game excelled. Today OU ran more it more than they passed and it may be something to work on, split out the receivers and run it inside the 5 yard line. I know OU had problems with this exact scenario last year, figured they would have something lined up. They did try to sneak the FB out on 1st down but it was covered. Not really sure, something they will work on obviously. It was a fun game to watch!

stick47
09-18-2011, 04:53 AM
Not to take away from OU's great team but FSU wasn't even close to being the #5 team in the country.

ksearls
09-18-2011, 07:52 AM
What a game! I have never been in a stadium full of that much energy! The FSU fans are amazing! They have a great band, great cheers that EVERYONE does and tha Seminole mascot on the horse was bad a*s. They sure feel like a #5 when you're in their kitchen! Every single fan we talked to was so gracious. It was like they all worked for the CVB.

The best part of the night was as Bob made his way off the field he was so excited and actually showed some emotion! Big fist pumps right in front of the Sooner section.

Thank you Sooners for a big win and thank you Tallahassee for your hospitality!

betts
09-18-2011, 08:08 AM
Not to take away from OU's great team but FSU wasn't even close to being the #5 team in the country.

That's always a tricky determination. It's easier to make that statement at the end of the season than after one game. Of course, if their quarterback is out for awhile it may be difficult to see how good they really are with a full complement of players.

BlackmoreRulz
09-18-2011, 09:50 AM
Why can we not find a FG kicker? OU has had some great kickers in their past and now we can barely find one that can get the ball over the crossbar....check the soccer or rugby teams, someone has to be better.

skyrick
09-18-2011, 10:28 AM
Why can we not find a FG kicker? OU has had some great kickers in their past and now we can barely find one that can get the ball over the crossbar....check the soccer or rugby teams, someone has to be better.

Did you notice Stoops' reaction after the last FG? I had to laugh.

kevinpate
09-18-2011, 10:38 AM

Missed the game. How many did the kicker(s) make? How many did the kicker(s) miss?

MDot
09-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Missed the game. How many did the kicker(s) make? How many did the kicker(s) miss?

OU made all 3 they attempted and Jimmy Stevens was the kicker but all of the FG's barely got past the crossbar and he didn't try one longer thn 31-yards(?).

MDot
09-18-2011, 11:49 AM
Did you notice Stoops' reaction after the last FG? I had to laugh.

Yeah that was funny, I reacted about the same was Stoops did. But shows you how stressfull it can be sending Stevens out there.

earlywinegareth
09-18-2011, 11:56 AM
^^^It's the football gods giving Bob one tiny thorn to cause worry/anxiousness when every other aspect of the team is championship-calibre. He can feel confident in everything else, but not this one thing.

jn1780
09-18-2011, 12:37 PM

And if they fumbled it and Florida State ran down for a touch down it would only be a 3 or 2 point game.

kevinpate
09-18-2011, 01:31 PM
so, the problem was the kicks didn't look good enough or would of flopped if further out?

Glad for the team the rules don't deduct style points or nullify ugly kicks. Also that the offense got as far as they did those three times before getting stalled or shut down. Sounds like an ugly kicker was just what the doc ordered last night. Though I suppose there wouldalso be a benefit to knowing a kicker could hit from much further out in case the offense gets stalled further out in future games.

Dustin
09-18-2011, 01:33 PM
http://i52.tinypic.com/4twmqo.gif

Dustin
09-18-2011, 02:47 PM
Funny poll:

http://i.imgur.com/hdg17.png

rcjunkie
09-18-2011, 02:47 PM
Maybe a field goal should be worth more than 3 points, make it 3 for for kick clearing the uprights and another 1 or 2 for style, maybe then the complainers would be happy.

MDot
09-18-2011, 02:59 PM
Maybe a field goal should be worth more than 3 points, make it 3 for for kick clearing the uprights and another 1 or 2 for style, maybe then the complainers would be happy.

It's the fact that Jimmy Stevens has such a hard time making a FG that it's almost nerve racking when they have to kick a FG. I could care less personally how it looks but when you have a guy who can shank an extra point, it puts a lot of doubt in you.

jn1780
09-18-2011, 03:34 PM

How about style points if the ball doesn't go through the uprights? Could come in handy during a championship game when OU is down by one and Stevens misses to the left or right, but the missed kick looked so cool the refs award 2 points. LOL

Thunder
09-18-2011, 07:55 PM
One thing that I did not appreciate throughout the game coverage was the network keep flashing the animated ACC logo every time before a commercial break. C'mon, morons, OU is not with ACC. We got Big 12 conference at the game, too! To me, someone or a group of people were trying hard to hint/lure OU to join the ACC.

Thunder
09-18-2011, 07:57 PM
http://i52.tinypic.com/4twmqo.gif

Okay, to me, everyone was signaling a field goal score then becoming disappointed. Uhhh.... Did we miss an attempt? I didn't see that... All I know was that all field goals were made. So, why is everyone unhappy with this one or three pointer kick?

Snowman
09-18-2011, 07:57 PM

All the ones we recruited would look good and then not live up to expectations, as of last year and continuing into this year we have as many scholarships tied up in kickers as you can spare and not cut into quality on other parts of the field.

jn1780
09-18-2011, 09:46 PM
Okay, to me, everyone was signaling a field goal score then becoming disappointed. Uhhh.... Did we miss an attempt? I didn't see that... All I know was that all field goals were made. So, why is everyone unhappy with this one or three pointer kick?

People are nervous because the season is not over yet and that was a relatively easy kick. In the future the emotional pressure could be a lot higher if the field goal is needed to tie or win the game.

rcjunkie
09-19-2011, 03:18 AM
How about style points if the ball doesn't go through the uprights? Could come in handy during a championship game when OU is down by one and Stevens misses to the left or right, but the missed kick looked so cool the refs award 2 points. LOL

And while were at it, couldn't they give him a new pair of shoes, the ones he wore looked worn out, maybe a cleaning, polish and new shoe strings, or better yet, how about a pair of bright crimson red shoes.

dcsooner
09-19-2011, 05:20 AM
What's funny about this poll? (post 33) OU has laid an egg the past several years in games while perched at the top. OU needs to WIN when they are expected to in order to get the benefit of the doubt nationally. Too often , OU has lost when favored

Bill Robertson
09-19-2011, 06:32 AM
One thing that I did not appreciate throughout the game coverage was the network keep flashing the animated ACC logo every time before a commercial break. C'mon, morons, OU is not with ACC. We got Big 12 conference at the game, too! To me, someone or a group of people were trying hard to hint/lure OU to join the ACC.

Bo big deal. The networks always show the home team's campus, logos etc. much more than the visitor's. No conspiracy here.

Just the facts
09-19-2011, 07:01 AM
Maybe Stoops was worried since he is the kicking coach as well.