View Full Version : Vote on Tuesday

Patrick
04-04-2005, 01:29 AM
Runoffs for Ward 4 and 8 are on Tuesday. If you live in those wards, please vote! I ask that you study each candidate in depth. This is important in keeping the renaissance alive in our city.
---------------
"Councilmen to join others at budget time

By Bryan Dean
The Oklahoman

Oklahoma City voters will elect two new council members Tuesday.
In the Ward 4 runoff, retiree Carl Sullivan faces attorney Pete White. The Ward 8 runoff pits developer Eric Roberts against retiree Patrick Ryan.

Whoever is chosen will have a short time to get comfortable in the job. The city is heavily involved in budget discussions, and City Manager Jim Couch said his staff will work quickly to educate the newcomers.

"We'll get with them next week," Couch said. "It's a tough time bringing them on while we're in the budget process. On the other hand, they are exposed to a lot of things in a short period of time."

Steven Dobbs was in a similar situation when he took over as interim Ward 8 councilman in December. Dobbs, an attorney who was named interim after he pledged not to run this year, said a new councilman has to pick up a lot of information quickly.

"The first thing I did was go through an orientation session with Debi Martin, who heads up the council staff," Dobbs said. "We went over everything from what the agenda items mean to the city hierarchy to how to vote and make motions."

Dobbs also met with department heads to get a feel for the services they provide.

It took Dobbs about a month to get comfortable. He said understanding all the issues the council faces was difficult, even with his legal background.

"The amount of reading is prodigious," Dobbs said. "To prepare for the council meeting and go through the council packet and do it properly, you are talking between 5 to 10 hours."

Training process
City staff will adapt the training process to the winning candidates. Couch said some council members are particularly knowledgeable in specific areas. Ward 1 Councilman Gary Marrs, for example, already knew the issues facing the fire department because he was a former fire chief, Couch said.

Regardless of who wins in Tuesday's runoff, Dobbs said it will be important for the new council members to be realistic as budget talks continue.

"I think the new council person will learn new services mean finding new sources of revenue," Dobbs said. "Oklahoma City has a very lean budget process. It's very easy to see where the money is going and where the money is coming from."

In-person absentee voting for the council races continues from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday at the Oklahoma County Election Board, 4201 N Lincoln Blvd. "

windowphobe
04-04-2005, 04:49 PM
And there's a runoff for the District 2 seat on the Oklahoma City school board, if you happen to live in that part of town.

Patrick
04-05-2005, 01:05 AM
Just to let you know, I've changed my mind about Carl Sullivan after the way he treated a member of this forum. Carl, if you're out there, and want an explanation, I'd be happy to connect you with the member that spoke with you. I think you know what I'm talking about.

Pete White for Ward 4!

Jay
04-05-2005, 09:47 PM
I voted today and I was disappointed with the turnout. I was vote number 62 and that was at 2:45. I know more than 62 people live in my precinct. My precinct covers the area between the Kilpatrick, Macarthur Blvd., NW 122nd and Hefner Parkway.

I'm really getting tired of hearing people crying about the city government. People complain about the Police, Bass Pro, Bricktown, the roads, and everything under the sun.

Where are these people on Election Day when their opinion can shape the leadership of the city. They have no problem writing the Ogle brothers and they manage to call in to talk radio. Is it that hard to leave for work a few minutes early? Is it that hard to stop in after work? The polls are open from 7-7. You can even vote absentee by mail if you want. So what’s the problem other than pure laziness? I think its sad that people are willing to make the effort to go by Blockbuster for the latest edition of hollywood garbage. However when it comes to the ballot they don't have the time. Placing your vote only takes a few minutes of your time. Normally about the same amount of time you would spend in a drive thru.

When you choose to opt out of the voting process you lose your right to complain.

I think its funny that so many people want change but, nobody takes any action.

Midtowner
04-05-2005, 10:21 PM
I agree.

I've voted in every election that I've known about since I've been 18. I've taken the extra step to register people I know regardless of which party they affiliated with.

mranderson
04-06-2005, 05:33 AM
I voted today and I was disappointed with the turnout. I was vote number 62 and that was at 2:45. I know more than 62 people live in my precinct. My precinct covers the area between the Kilpatrick, Macarthur Blvd., NW 122nd and Hefner Parkway.

I'm really getting tired of hearing people crying about the city government. People complain about the Police, Bass Pro, Bricktown, the roads, and everything under the sun.

Where are these people on Election Day when their opinion can shape the leadership of the city. They have no problem writing the Ogle brothers and they manage to call in to talk radio. Is it that hard to leave for work a few minutes early? Is it that hard to stop in after work? The polls are open from 7-7. You can even vote absentee by mail if you want. So what’s the problem other than pure laziness? I think its sad that people are willing to make the effort to go by Blockbuster for the latest edition of hollywood garbage. However when it comes to the ballot they don't have the time. Placing your vote only takes a few minutes of your time. Normally about the same amount of time you would spend in a drive thru.

When you choose to opt out of the voting process you lose your right to complain.

I think its funny that so many people want change but, nobody takes any action.

I think it comes from the myth that all politicians are crooks, and the stale, offensive joke that goes "when do you know a politician is lying? His mouth is moving."

The people that have this distorted idea about polticians have not been educated in the area. Yes. Some politicans are crooked. However, so are some ministers, retailers, factory workers, and more. In every profession, you have some theat are not honest. The majority are.

So, because of this incorrect opinion, these people refuse to vote. They would rater be the one's who's mouths are moving.

Midtowner
04-06-2005, 08:05 AM
I think it comes from the myth that all politicians are crooks, and the stale, offensive joke that goes "when do you know a politician is lying? His mouth is moving."

The people that have this distorted idea about polticians have not been educated in the area. Yes. Some politicans are crooked. However, so are some ministers, retailers, factory workers, and more. In every profession, you have some theat are not honest. The majority are.

So, because of this incorrect opinion, these people refuse to vote. They would rater be the one's who's mouths are moving.

I think the biggest weakness of our local legislators is that they listen more to lobbyists and their donations than they do to the people in their districts. I wouldn't call it corrupt, but perhaps I'd call it misguided.

For example, the recent bill that was passed in the House and recently withdrawn from the senate that would have limited the power of the state AG to only sue when the legislature voted for him to was admittedly written by the chicken industry lobbyists (who the AG is suing for dumping toxic waste into Oklahoma rivers).

Keep in mind -- the bill actually got through the house!