View Full Version : State tourism ads being shown in other markets

Patrick
04-04-2005, 01:26 AM
For once we're starting to market our state to other markets like Dallas, Little Rock, Kansas City, etc. It's about time! I kind of think the OklaCool, OklaSoul and OklaModern themes are corny, but at least we're advertising our state finally. I've been waiting for this for years.

----------
"O-K-L-A sends tourists state's way

By Ryan McNeill
The Oklahoman

As the most popular travel period of the year approaches, state tourism officials are unveiling the next phase of an advertising blitz aimed at increasing in-state travel and luring visitors from nearby states. Oklahoma parks and visitor numbers

Most visited
1. Lake Murray: 1.94 million
2. Lake Texoma: 1.85 million
3. Robbers Cave: 1.20 million
4. Beavers Bend: 1.15 million
5. Lake Thunderbird: 1.03 million

Least visited
1. Black Mesa: 19,479
2. Alabaster: 24,397
3. Beaver Dunes: 36,245
4. Natural Falls/Lake Eucha: 40,980
5. Walnut Creek: 64,995

Most profitable in 2004
1. Beavers Bend: $2.11 million
2. Lake Murray: $1.19 million
3. Robbers Cave: $1.13 million
4. Little Sahara: $880,000
5. Lake Tenkiller: $550,000

The state Tourism Department will spend $2.8 million this fiscal year, including about $2 million on TV and print advertising as part of the OKLA-Modern campaign.

The campaign, in its second year, is credited with enhancing interest in Oklahoma as a tourist destination.

Television commercials feature Oklahoma City, Tulsa, rural areas and the 400-mile stretch of State Highway 66.

Words like OklaCool, OklaSoul and OklaModern are superimposed on quick-moving clips of scenery and people as upbeat music plays.

"We tried to merge 'Okla' with all the words you wouldn't expect to associate with Oklahoma," said Robb Gray, state Tourism Department executive director, who said Oklahoma is the only English word that begins with O-K-L-A.

"They are words people would not expect to see with Oklahoma -- like cool, modern or grand -- but we are all those things."

Tourism officials are buying time in 13 TV markets including Dallas-Ft. Worth, Kansas City, Wichita, Little Rock and Amarillo. The ads will also appear on Tulsa and Oklahoma City TV stations.

About 80 percent of the money will buy advertising outside Oklahoma, where viewers "are being flooded with our commercials," Gray said. He said the ads are so popular, some TV stations are inserting the commercials into open spots for free.

The commercials are an attempt to grab a bigger piece of what Travel Industry Association of America researchers say is a $593 billion a year industry.

Destinations
One Tulsa commerical shows a newly married couple leaving the landmark Boston Avenue United Methodist Church. The art deco-themed skyline of Tulsa and Cain's Ballroom are shown as a narrator encourages visitors to enjoy "the urban vibrations of Tulsa."

The Oklahoma City version features an aerial fly-over of Bricktown and downtown and a saxophone player in Deep Deuce as a narrator tells viewers to seek out "the urban reinvention of Oklahoma City." Clips of the Oklahoma City Museum of Art and the state Capitol complex are included.

A common theme is the rural landscape that surrounds both cities, promoting "the most changing landscape in America."

The Travel Industry Association reports most U.S. travelers want shopping, outdoor recreation and the sights of rural and urban landmarks.

The commercials feature all those activities.

The campaign is an expansion from last year, when only Oklahoma City and Tulsa were featured in two commercials, Gray said.

Funding
Money for the commercials, which were created through a $4.4 million annual contract with Oklahoma City-based advertising firm Ackerman McQueen, comes from a one-tenth of 1 percent tax on gross receipts from tourism-related industries. Bids for the next advertising contract are now being accepted, Gray said.

The contract includes money for airtime, production and even music, which was created by Siren Cues, the company involved with advertising for Lord of the Rings and the Harry Potter movies. Tourism officials sought a diverse score, which includes elements of rock, jazz, country and American Indian music.

After the debut of the OKLA-Modern campaign last year, travel inquiries increased 50 percent, and Gray said independent research shows the commercials caused a 60 percent increase in people motivated to visit Oklahoma.

Gray said the advertising campaign caused $26 million in direct spending in Oklahoma, which is about $12.30 for every $1 spent on advertising in 2004. "

Midtowner
04-04-2005, 07:52 AM
So we dropped the "Native America" thing?

Can't complain about this, tourism, if correctly cultivated could be huge. I'm surprised that with our central location, more theme parks and other corporate-type tourism companies haven't taken a chance here.

In time, maybe something big will come.

renffahcs
04-04-2005, 10:39 AM
They run them here in DFW regularly. They either feature OKC or Tulsa areas.

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-04-2005, 05:42 PM
When I was in Houston a few weeks ago I saw a few. I was actually quite proud of them. Well done, Dept. of Tourism.

Patrick
04-05-2005, 01:07 AM
I personally don't have a problem with trying to capitalize on our Native American culture. There's a lot of money to be made there. Just look at how San Antonio takes advantage of its Hispanic Culture. I'd much rather be known for Native Americans than Cowboys.

okcpulse
04-05-2005, 01:13 AM
I'm with you there, Patrick. A reputation for Native American culture sounds better than Cowboys. Leave that image for Texas. I mean, Dallas Cowboys??

renffahcs
04-05-2005, 08:25 AM
Oklahoma is not the only state that advertises here. I have seen ads in DFW for New Mexico, South Dakota, Nebraska, & Wyoming. Saw the South Dakota one last night.

mranderson
04-05-2005, 10:08 AM
Time needs to be purchased nationwide. Not just select cities, and especially not in Oklahoma. It is a waste of money to advertise a state inside that state. Tourists are from other places. Not their own state

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-05-2005, 03:17 PM
I saw an Alaska one in H-town too.

Hey, I'll take Cowboys any time over Indians. I don't mind the Indians though. I think it is also "cool" culture, but Cowboys are better. Leave nothing for Texas, it's not like they would leave anything for us in exchange. Should they?

Midtowner
04-05-2005, 03:25 PM
Time needs to be purchased nationwide. Not just select cities, and especially not in Oklahoma. It is a waste of money to advertise a state inside that state. Tourists are from other places. Not their own state

Oklahomans make the best tourists for Oklahoma. I disagree!

But out of state dollars aren't bad either.

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-05-2005, 03:37 PM
I agree with Midtowner once again.

And from a marketing standpoint, I would understand this strategy if they cut off in-state marketing in a year or so. It pays to raise in-state awareness. B/c we are up a creek if we can't even get Oklahomans to tour Oklahoma, and you can't say they do as it is now. SOME do. That is very few.

renffahcs
04-05-2005, 07:33 PM
Quote by Sooner

Leave nothing for Texas, it's not like they would leave anything for us in exchange.

You don't have anything we need!!! LOL!!!!

renffahcs
04-05-2005, 07:36 PM
Sorry, I was just being rood

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-05-2005, 09:03 PM
Good point. But the whole concept of "leaving things for Texas" is plain stupid. That is also Oklahoma acting out of character.

The whole "Leave things for Texas" attitude will put us further behind Texas. So good job with that amazingly complex and ingenious thought!

xrayman
04-06-2005, 03:46 AM
National spots to advertise Oklahoma, huh? Do you know what national TV commercials cost? Have you seen the budget for Tourism?

"Tourists are from other places. Not their own state."

Huh? When we go to S.E. Oklahoma they seem to appreciate the dollars we bring to the area. It's a beautiful part of the state and money spent inside Oklahoma is money not spent outside the state. I'm not sure I understand the reasoning of the quote above. One can and should tour their own state!

mranderson
04-06-2005, 05:00 AM
"National spots to advertise Oklahoma, huh? Do you know what national TV commercials cost?"

As a matter of fact, yes. Do you know what an investment is?

xrayman
04-06-2005, 11:26 AM
"National spots to advertise Oklahoma, huh? Do you know what national TV commercials cost?"

Yes. Touring my own state.

Midtowner
04-06-2005, 11:52 AM

An investment is spending money with the intention of getting more back.

State agencies generally don't invest money since none of them are profitable. However, from a taxpayer perspective, and an overall perspective, spending a little money to get Oklahomans and out-of-staters to spend money in this state is money well spent.

As far as national TV commercials, it depends on what channel (cable can be a fairly inexpensive way to reach large audiences), at what time, during what program, etc.

As far as those specific costs, from Google Answers:

Claudiom,

Below you will find the results of my research regarding TV ad rates.

“Local TV: A 30-second television commercial on a local station in a
top 10 market ranges from $4,000, generally during a movie, to $45,000
for time on one of the highest-rated shows.

Network TV: A 30-second spot in prime time ranges from $80,000 to
$600,000, depending on how high a show is rated and the show's genre.
The average is $120,000 to $140,000.

Cable TV: A 30-second spot in prime time runs between $5,000 and
$8,000, depending on the network.”

LOOK AT ADVERTISING PRICES IN DIFFERENT MEDIA
(The Wall Street Journal)

That doesn't take into account the production cost. It's tough to say how much they spend on those. Are they done in house, externally? Did they get original footage, or use file footage, etc. etc. To my knowledge, they don't have to pay talent for those spots, and it looks like most of the spots were just done on a computer, so I think production costs would be relatively low.

mranderson
04-06-2005, 12:28 PM
It was called a retorical question.

Midtowner
04-06-2005, 12:50 PM
It was called a retorical question.

Rhetorical questions that were the forms of objections. I explained the terms of your objections, the costs associated and the intentions of the tourism department.

It's called a response.

Patrick
04-06-2005, 03:26 PM
I can see the reason for showing state tourism commercials here at home. There are many people here in OKC and Tulsa that never bother to leave the city to explore what the state has to offer.

Robbers Cave is probably one of my favorite state parks and I have plenty of pictures from there. One day when my neighbor was complaining that our state didn't have anything to offer, I showed him the pics from Robbers Cave. He couldn't believe the pics were from our state. He had never been to southeastern Oklahoma. So, see there is a purpose for instate commercials.

To be real honest, we probably have a greater chance of getting instate tourists to visit our state parks than out of state tourists.

I agree that we need to market our state to other states, but we also need to educate our own citizens about the natural wonders we actually have in our state.

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-06-2005, 03:57 PM
Patrick has the right idea, but Midtowner cracks me up. Good job both of you!

Anderson's first post on the main page also indicated he might have the right idea.

xrayman
04-06-2005, 05:52 PM
I can see the reason for showing state tourism commercials here at home. There are many people here in OKC and Tulsa that never bother to leave the city to explore what the state has to offer.

Robbers Cave is probably one of my favorite state parks and I have plenty of pictures from there. One day when my neighbor was complaining that our state didn't have anything to offer, I showed him the pics from Robbers Cave. He couldn't believe the pics were from our state. He had never been to southeastern Oklahoma. So, see there is a purpose for instate commercials.

To be real honest, we probably have a greater chance of getting instate tourists to visit our state parks than out of state tourists.

I agree that we need to market our state to other states, but we also need to educate our own citizens about the natural wonders we actually have in our state.

Patrick,

You are so right. Robbers Cave was the park I was talking about in my post. SE Oklahoma is so beautiful and I, too, have noticed that few people I talk to realize the beauty right here in their own state. I think it's GREAT when Oklahomans choose to spend their money at our own state parks!

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-06-2005, 05:55 PM
But the state needs to keep up their end of the bargain and improve on our state resorts. Texoma has sooo much potential! So does Murray. And Robbers Cave.

Patrick
04-07-2005, 01:43 AM
Patrick,

You are so right. Robbers Cave was the park I was talking about in my post. SE Oklahoma is so beautiful and I, too, have noticed that few people I talk to realize the beauty right here in their own state. I think it's GREAT when Oklahomans choose to spend their money at our own state parks!

You can add Beaver's Bend in SE OKlahoma near Broken Bow, to that list as well! I actually think it's probably prettier than Robbers Cave! The Quachita National Forest is just a beauty. Talimena Scenic Drive reminds me a lot of the Smokeys. Unfortunately, few people in the city here know about it.

Patrick
04-07-2005, 01:45 AM
But the state needs to keep up their end of the bargain and improve on our state resorts. Texoma has sooo much potential! So does Murray. And Robbers Cave.

I agree with you Nick! Our state doesn't take advantage of all the potential our state parks could have.

I find it interesting that the state couldn't do anything with Fountainhead lodge at Lake Eufala, but a Native American tribe took it over and they're maknig a killing off of it and offering all sorts of neat attractions.

Our state could do better with what it has. The first area of improvement definitely needs to be or aging facilities. Lodges at Beaver's Bend, Robbers Cave, Quartz Mountain, etc. are new, so they don't need a lot of work, but those at Lake Murray, Texoma, Western Hills, etc. are starting to show their age.