View Full Version : Outlet Shopping Duhs...Not like they use tobe

venture
09-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Sort of a duh article about the "Outlet" shops of today when compared to the ones a lot of us grew up with.

http://shine.yahoo.com/event/financiallyfit/what-outlet-malls-dont-want-you-to-know-2535354/

Essentially it comes down to the fact that most of the retailers in the Outlet stores make clothes specifically for them. They aren't factory/retail rejects that don't pass quality tests, overstock supplies, or last season's clothes. Felt this was pretty timely since we have our new "Outlet" mall here. Drove by another Outlet mall, in other state, operated by the same company as the new one here...only about 10 stores left open and the place looked horribly ran down. Hopefully they don't do the same to the OKC setup in a few years.

Key points from the story...

But nowadays, the majority of common outlet stores supplement their stock with merchandise created especially for outlet-store sale. These lines carry the brand name, but they’re made with lower-quality fabrics and cheaper construction techniques.

“Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price $100, Our Price $25.” The tags lead customers to believe that they’re getting a huge discount. But the truth is that the listed MSRP is whatever the store wants it to be...

IOW, how can an item of lower quality be price compared to a higher quality item in a normal store.

Outlet malls are notorious for being located in out-of-the-way suburbs and off deserted interstate highways. One big advantage of the remote location is a psychological effect called the “sunk cost fallacy,”

I-40 and Council isn't really that far out there, but it gets close for a lot of people.

Look at apparel tags. Irregular or imperfect merchandise usually carry tags that are sliced, marked on, or otherwise altered to indicate that it’s not fit for retail sale, whereas knockoffs usually carry different tags altogether. At Gap Outlets, the tags are white with blue lettering, the reverse of the retail tags. At Banana Republic Factory Stores, the tags have three small diamonds indicating they’re not retail quality. Get familiar with real retail tags, so you can spot the impostors at outlet stores.

Remember that fewer stores = better quality. If you’re shopping at a store that has posts in every outlet mall in the country, you’re almost guaranteed to be getting outlet-quality merchandise.

Larry OKC
09-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Not disputing anything you said, but what is the real difference between a factory reject/second and an item specifically made to lower quality standards?

I don't think most have ever expected the exact same thing they might be able to get across town at the regular store at a deep discount. Always have gone in knowing that there was either some flaw in it or last years model, out of season or whatever. How important those flaws are to you or if they are even noticeable, is up to each consumer.

venture
09-05-2011, 09:41 PM
Not disputing anything you said, but what is the real difference between a factory reject/second and an item specifically made to lower quality standards?

I don't think most have ever expected the exact same thing they might be able to get across town at the regular store at a deep discount. Always have gone in knowing that there was either some flaw in it or last years model, out of season or whatever. How important those flaws are to you or if they are even noticeable, is up to each consumer.

I think it is the way it is advertised or perceived.

Say I buy a nice blue shirt (shirt 1) at the GAP for $50. I see what appears to be the same blue shirt (shirt 2) at GAP Outlet for $20, while being advertised as "MSRP in Retail at $50". Most people would be like, OMG great bargain. However, noticing it is not a factory reject or whatever and made specifically for the retail means the advertising isn't correct. Shirt 1 had everything done to make it a higher quality product and deserves that $50 price tag. The 2nd shirt has only minimal stitching and very lower quality fabric. It still looks the same, but it is not the same product. So therefore, that 2nd shirt, cannot be advertised as having the same MSRP as shirt 1.

That is probably my biggest problem. Customers think they get Shirt 1 at a steal of a price, me as an educated shopper understands they are getting screwed.

MadMonk
09-05-2011, 09:55 PM
That article hits the nail on the head. I haven't been all that impressed with our new "outlet" mall. There's not much in the way of real bargains to be found.

SoonerQueen
09-05-2011, 11:46 PM
It's a beautiful mall, but I agree, it's not full of discounts. It's a fun place to go.

BBatesokc
09-06-2011, 05:47 AM
I would say many people still think outlet malls sell full retail quality items at discount prices. I know several people that would drive all the way to Texas because they though they were getting such great deals. I've been to several of the outlet malls in Texas and while some do have real marked down merchandise, most I have seen carry items made specifically for outlet shops.

When we do go I Google a particular brand to see if there is a way to know a outlet item from a retail item. I've found most brands mark the clothing in some way - mostly so people don't try and exchange an outlet item at a retailer for a more expensive, better quality items. Things like unique bar code numbers, label colors, etc. are usually how they are marked. I avoid outlet items.

One reason I've shopped at ROSS for years was because most every item I check is a real retail item and was greatly discounted.

I went to our new outlet mall the other day (mostly to try Smash Burger) and I didn't find any real bargains.

Midtowner
09-06-2011, 05:51 AM
I got some Polo and Brooks Bros. stuff that seemed to be pretty good stuff.

Okie Yorker
09-06-2011, 07:44 AM
A good chunk of what they sell is last seasons clothes...which is fine by me at the lower price...I haven't been to the new OKC outlets, but I scored some great deals at the Diesel, True Religion & Lucky outlets at the Jersey Shore Premium Outlets....all like 50% or more off what you would have paid in their stores last winter

Midtowner
09-06-2011, 11:53 AM
The nice thing about dressing in brands like Polo and Brooks Bros. is that there's not much difference in the clothes from season to season. Sears sucker shorts, polo shirts, etc., they'll look exactly the same 10 years from now as they do today.

You can get a Polo shirt (traditional) at the outlet for $39.50 if memory serves, whereas that's an $80 shirt elsewhere. So not bad.

venture
09-06-2011, 12:15 PM
The nice thing about dressing in brands like Polo and Brooks Bros. is that there's not much difference in the clothes from season to season. Sears sucker shorts, polo shirts, etc., they'll look exactly the same 10 years from now as they do today.

You can get a Polo shirt (traditional) at the outlet for $39.50 if memory serves, whereas that's an $80 shirt elsewhere. So not bad.

Just depends if it is a Outlet-specific shirt or an Original Retail shirt that didn't pass inspection. If it is an Outlet specific shirt, the life of the shirt definitely won't be nearly as long as the $80 and therefore you can't compare the price at all. Cheaper fabric, lower construction quality, etc...it isn't the same product. Just paying a price for a brand at that point.

BBatesokc
09-06-2011, 02:19 PM
My understanding is that both Polo and Brooks Brothers make outlet specific clothes. Which makes since based in the sheer number of outlet stores. I've looked at Polo shirts at the outlets before and they claimed the MSRP was around $100 and were selling them for about $40 - but the shirts came in basic sizes (small, medium, large). My few $100+ shirts all come in measured sizes not basic. I wouldn't pay more than $30 for a basic measured shirt.

bandnerd
09-06-2011, 04:51 PM

Seersucker, dear. I couldn't let that one go, sorry.

It's a beautiful mall, but Mid was too busy dragging me to Polo and Brooks Bros. that I couldn't go where I wanted!

USG'60
09-07-2011, 06:39 AM
Y'all are cute when you fight like that. :-)

Speaking of seersucker, I saw some about a week ago and then on TV night before last. I don't think I had seen any in about 30 years. I guess it is on a comeback. What about corduroy?

mbs
09-07-2011, 04:03 PM
I have to say I was a little disappointed in the outlet mall. I haven't been to one in years, and didn't realize that most of the merchandise is a cheaper version of what the stores sell in their full-price locations, made specifically for their outlets. All of the merchandise in JCrew, Banana Republic, Chicos and Talbots looked like it was lower quality, factory merchandise. Brooks Brothers had some summer clothes from their regular line, but most was the cheaper 346 line, which even I could tell was lower quality. Most of the clothing I looked at in the Saks store seemed to be regular designer lines, and I did buy some things in there. There was a line at the Coach store, never made it in there. Oh well, not the great deals I was hoping for, but still a fun trip. I can say I've tried on a Prada dress now (only $700, marked down from some ridiculous several thousand dollar price I can't remember - didn't buy that one).

bandnerd
09-07-2011, 04:58 PM
Y'all are cute when you fight like that. :-)

Speaking of seersucker, I saw some about a week ago and then on TV night before last. I don't think I had seen any in about 30 years. I guess it is on a comeback. What about corduroy?

Seersucker's been around for awhile. The son of one of our teachers, who is going to be a long-term sub for another teacher's maternity leave, is about 24-25 and was wearing seersucker pants last week.

Corduroy is out in the stores already. I've seen it at Old Navy at least, don't know if you would call that "fashionable." But, it seems to make the rounds every couple of years. I myself don't wear it, as you can hear every step I take, since I am nowhere near a size 0 with skinny-minny legs. Swish, swish, swish.