View Full Version : Fly Your Flag

SoonerQueen
09-05-2011, 08:17 PM
This was sent to me.. I am passing it on,
Please join us in this FLY THE FLAG campaign and PLEASE forward this
email to your friends and family asking them to also forward it. We have
less than 1 week and counting to get the word out all across this great
land and into every community in the United States of America .
If you forward this email to least 11 people and each of those people do
the same ... you get the idea.
THE PROGRAM:
On Sunday, September 11th, 2011, an American flag should be displayed
outside every home, apartment, office, and store in the United States .
Every individual should make it their duty to display an American flag
on this tenth anniversary of one our country's worst tragedies. We do
this honor of those who lost their lives on 9/11, their families,
friends and loved ones who continue to endure the pain, and those who
today are fighting at home and abroad to preserve our cherished
freedoms.
In the days, weeks and months following 9/11, our country was bathed in
American flags as citizens mourned the incredible losses and stood
shoulder-to-shoulder against terrorism. Sadly, those flags have all but
disappeared. Our patriotism pulled us through some tough times and it
shouldn't take another attack to galvanize us in solidarity. Our
American flag is the fabric of our country and together we can prevail
over terrorism of all kinds
Action Plan:
So, here's what we need you to do ...
(1) Forward this email to everyone you know (at least 11 people). Please
don't be the one to break this chain. Take a moment to think back to how
you felt on 9/11 and let those sentiments guide you.
(2) Fly an American flag of any size on 9/11. Honestly, Americans should
fly the flag year-round, but if you don't, then at least make it a
priority on this day.
Thank you for your participation. God Bless You and God Bless America

venture
09-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Growing up and after I moved out, the family flew the flag (plus that of their state and a couple others) outside every day...unless bad weather was incoming. That was all well before 9/11 and it became trendy to fly the flag. I wonder how many people behind this campaign chain letter, or similar campaigns, have bothered to keep the flag flying outsides. Not to mention, how many had it flying before 9/11 either gave them a reason or made them feel guilty enough for not doing it in the first place.

I just get miffed when I see things like this that tend to politicize or otherwise take advantage of a dark day or event for their own personal agenda to cover up their guilt/shame. I won't get started on the "Forward to everyone you know (at least 11 people)...blah blah blah." At least it didn't say "If at least 11 people don't get this, an angel will lose its wings and have to take public transportation."

SoonerQueen
09-05-2011, 08:40 PM
I fly my flag every day. The message is just to remind everyone to do it on 9/11 if you wouldn't already do so. I think if everyone passed the info on to at least 11 people, we could reach everyone faster. I can't imagine anyone not wanting to show their patriotism especially on that day.

Larry OKC
09-05-2011, 09:18 PM
If I could fly it every day, I would (my dad does), but I am in an apt complex and they only allow temp displays (like on Memorial Day, July 4th etc) And seasonal decorations as appropriate. Been flying mine for the holiday weekend and will do so again for 9/11. Always get positive comments when it is displayed (even by the apt folks)

Barry Luxton
09-05-2011, 10:33 PM
Oh Jesus. This anniversary **** already. What I wouldn't give to go into a barbiturate-induced coma and have someone wake me up on the 12th.

Never forget!

Bostonfan
09-05-2011, 10:51 PM
I fly my flag every day. The message is just to remind everyone to do it on 9/11 if you wouldn't already do so. I think if everyone passed the info on to at least 11 people, we could reach everyone faster. I can't imagine anyone not wanting to show their patriotism especially on that day.

Yes, because that will solve all the problems of the world. Look, if people want to fly their flag, more power to them. But for them to need a 9/11 anniversary to do it, then shame on them.

MadMonk
09-06-2011, 09:14 AM
Yeah, how dare they respectfully remember and mark a historical moment in our country's history.

venture
09-06-2011, 11:20 AM
Yeah, how dare they respectfully remember and mark a historical moment in our country's history.

I think it is more along the point of...are they flying their flags on Memorial Day, D-Day, Pearl Harbor Day, Sept 17th (Constitution Ratification), etc etc etc. Probably not. Each day is significant in its own right, but people don't go out of their way to be overly patriotic then.

MadMonk
09-06-2011, 12:36 PM
How does whether or not someone flies a flag on any other day, make it less acceptable for them to fly it on Sept. 11th? Perhaps that day is more personally meaningful for them, being a much more recent event. It seems a little petty to deride someone displaying this harmless form of patriotism and remembrance because it doesn't meet their personal anti-nationalistic standards.

SoonerQueen
09-06-2011, 12:55 PM
All I know is that we proudly fly the flag every day of the year.

venture
09-06-2011, 12:58 PM
How does whether or not someone flies a flag on any other day, make it less acceptable for them to fly it on Sept. 11th? Perhaps that day is more personally meaningful for them, being a much more recent event. It seems a little petty to deride someone displaying this harmless form of patriotism and remembrance because it doesn't meet their personal anti-nationalistic standards.

I touched on this a bit in another thread about 9/11. Each event is different for each person. Am I deriding someone for flying a flag on 9/11? Not at all. It may have impacted them differently than me and other people. I think it is more the case of for people that don't fly the flag on 9/11, should they get any type of negative attention. So it goes both ways, which many people always seem to forget. Did the OKC bombing impact me? Not a lot - I didn't live here then. Did May 3rd? Sure it did. Did 9/11 impact me...I think it impacted us all differently, but based on that we approach it differently in how we remember.

So yes...I completely agree with your statement of: "It seems a little petty to deride someone displaying this harmless form of patriotism and remembrance because it doesn't meet their personal anti-nationalistic standards."

Much like I would completely agree with the reverse statement of: It seems a little petty to deride someone for not displaying the flag on 9/11 or having any public display of remembrance because it doesn't meet their personal standards.

MadMonk
09-06-2011, 08:26 PM
I touched on this a bit in another thread about 9/11. Each event is different for each person. Am I deriding someone for flying a flag on 9/11? Not at all.
I feel I should clarify that I didn't mean to imply that YOU were.

It may have impacted them differently than me and other people. I think it is more the case of for people that don't fly the flag on 9/11, should they get any type of negative attention. So it goes both ways, which many people always seem to forget. Did the OKC bombing impact me? Not a lot - I didn't live here then. Did May 3rd? Sure it did. Did 9/11 impact me...I think it impacted us all differently, but based on that we approach it differently in how we remember.

So yes...I completely agree with your statement of: "It seems a little petty to deride someone displaying this harmless form of patriotism and remembrance because it doesn't meet their personal anti-nationalistic standards."

Much like I would completely agree with the reverse statement of: It seems a little petty to deride someone for not displaying the flag on 9/11 or having any public display of remembrance because it doesn't meet their personal standards.
I agree with you. I wouldn't think of harping on someone for not flying a flag on 9/11.

venture
09-06-2011, 08:58 PM
Alright. No worries. Normally I think we are on the same wave length with most things, so just a momentary state of confusion. lol

Thunder
09-06-2011, 10:48 PM
KOCO got an interesting article about Muslims. Not sure where the article originated from. Its something about majority of Americans are seriously afraid of Muslims (based on polls recently conducted). I just hope on 9/11, the Muslims keep in mind about the day and to do what they can to respect others and not to unintentionally scare anyone (ex: Muslims praying at an airport or on an airplane on 9/11). The article mentioned about Islam belief and Sharia (don't know what the hell this is) law within America.

venture
09-07-2011, 07:54 AM
KOCO got an interesting article about Muslims. Not sure where the article originated from. Its something about majority of Americans are seriously afraid of Muslims (based on polls recently conducted). I just hope on 9/11, the Muslims keep in mind about the day and to do what they can to respect others and not to unintentionally scare anyone (ex: Muslims praying at an airport or on an airplane on 9/11). The article mentioned about Islam belief and Sharia (don't know what the hell this is) law within America.

Vast majority of Americas are ignorant and easily influenced by dominant personalities. Why should any American adjust their rights to worship on a day because a handful of radicals? Also keep in mind, while on an airplane, you have to remain in your seat for liability issues (clear air turbulence). So move along and stop being an example of my first sentence in this response.