View Full Version : Blue September

RadioOKC
09-04-2011, 09:15 PM
Hey Everyone! Check out www.blueseptember.org for events and information.

One in 6 men have prostate cancer and are unaware of it. It kills more men than
breast cancer kills women.

If you are a Male - age 40+, please schedule a visit to your Doctor for a PSA test.
A simple test could catch something horrible early and leave you with many
happy tomorrows.

Chris
www.radiookc.com

Thunder
09-05-2011, 09:05 AM
Wow! I wouldn't have to worry for 13 years after turning 27 next month.

This really does kill more men than women? :-/

kevinpate
09-05-2011, 09:55 AM
Shouldn't be a surprise Thunder.

Lots of men ignore lots of physical symptoms in general for starters. And many go the macho route of toughing anything out and not seeing doctors until they feel like they are gravely ill.
Then there's that, pardon the pun, hole phobia for many menfolk.

Combine all that with an illness that really isn't all that obvious until it is more advanced and you have yourself a near perfect storm.

Thunder
09-05-2011, 10:37 AM
Kevin, its only for those above 40? Can this happen to anyone under 40? I don't go to my doc for any sort of regular checkups for anything. I only go when something happens. Need to look up more on this and how tests are done.

Kevin, you said 'hole phobia' as in the doc probe the hole as in you know where down there? :-O I thought it was just pressing down around the front area.

ctchandler
09-05-2011, 12:22 PM
I just had my test last Wednesday and everything looks good (for an almost 68 year old man).
C. T.

USG'60
09-05-2011, 05:31 PM
At 69, I'm good, too, CT. I DO, however, take pills to keep it all in check and to keep me out of the potty in the middle of the night. :-D

Larry OKC
09-05-2011, 09:40 PM
There is nothing magic about hitting any particular age group. As with most diseases they are not age specific, can happen at virtually any age. Age is just one of the increased risk factors. Statistically more likely to happen within a particular age group than others. Depends on your insurance if they will cover the costs or not if you aren't considered to be in one of the risk groups. Even if not, if your PCP recommends it most will cover at least most of the cost. Read up on it, talk to your doctor about any concerns you might have. And yes, without getting graphic you are correct about the invasiveness of one particular method. Again, discuss it with your doctor. Whatever you decide, i wouldn't wait to even check it out and talk to your doctor about it thinking you are young and it can't happen to me type of thing. In other words, don't wait 13 years and show up at the doc's on your 40th birthday. On the other hand don't panic and decide you are going to die either. make an informed decision, it is your health.