View Full Version : Skeleton Museum

Thunder
09-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Aloha! Remember me? Thunder! Your favorite OKCTalk poster! :-D

Okay, so today I was driving east on NE 23rd and I was behind this passenger bus. On the back, it was displaying a very expensive advertisement of a skeleton museum on Sunnylane south of I-240. Now, I do not see anything eye-popping out there, so how long has this place been in existence?

The meaning of this post, I want to ask everyone a very interesting question. How many skeleton museum are there in the United States of America?

Why am I asking this? Well, there is wordings on the advertisement that I believe to be false and misleading. It says... Well... I can't remember the exact words. Something about the place being the 'only one' in America. Shocking, eh?

So, is this true? Oklahoma is the only state in the entire United States of America to have a skeleton museum? Now, this includes dinosaurs, historic animals, etc. If that is to be true.....why in Oklahoma? Why?! Out of all places, they chose to locate in the heart of Tornado Alley where Oklahoma is notoriously famous for monstrous Tornadoes, frequent PDS watches/warnings, sounding of Tornado Emergency, the list just goes on and on. C'mon, these are historic, delicate skeletons that is being preserved all in the presence of EF0, EF1, EF2, EF3, EF4, EF5, and potentially EF6+. Is the entire place even extremely superior-built to withstand such forces?

And lastly, I just want to add this in... Upon the passenger bus turning right onto another street, the true appearance of the bus (may be metro transit?) was revealed to be horrible and ugly. It truly amazes me that ads are only placed on the back and not all over.

Oh, how much does ads on the metro transit cost? How does one go about getting the designs done and applied? I was thinking of a cute Goose advertising Oklahoma's #1 market. Just a bit of side topic, how much does the ads on the benches (for the buses) cost? I saw one for Old Paris. They don't need it...already well known. Need one for the cute Goose. :-)

Okay, anyway, tell me more about the main topic, thanks. Love, Thunder.

ljbab728
09-02-2011, 10:15 PM
This is what you're talking about:

http://museumofosteology.org/

And I wouldn't worry about the tornado problem. We have many wonderful museums in Oklahoma with priceless displays that have survived tornado alley just fine for decades.

Thunder
09-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Yes, that is the one.

So, the question is...

Is it true that Oklahoma is the only state in the United States of America to have a skeleton museum of any sort?

ljbab728
09-02-2011, 10:23 PM
Yes, that is the one.

So, the question is...

Is it true that Oklahoma is the only state in the United States of America to have a skeleton museum of any sort?

There are countless museums that feature skeletons. I think this one claims to be the only one with only skeletons on display.

kevinpate
09-03-2011, 05:29 AM
Thunder, your mind works in some interesting ways.

As for your bus ad question, here's a decent start point for you and the Goose operators.

http://www.gometro.org/advertising

Enjoy.

Thunder
09-03-2011, 05:45 AM
That is lovely, Kevin.

dcsooner
09-03-2011, 05:58 AM
Its a shame this museum is so relatively obscure. I visit often and did not know it existed!

RadicalModerate
09-03-2011, 09:40 AM
Never heard of The Skeleton Museum before . . .
But I do seem to recall a place called something like "Skulls R Us" on the west side of south Shields.

(Here's one for Ripley: Believe it or not, I was never even slightly tempted to pull into their parking lot and check out their product selection.)

HewenttoJared
09-03-2011, 10:05 AM
Skulls Unlimited, RM.

I've been meaning to make it out to this museum for a long time. Neat stuff.

HewenttoJared
09-03-2011, 10:11 AM
Must have!
http://www.skullsunlimited.com/record_variant.php?id=4383

RadicalModerate
09-03-2011, 10:28 AM
When I encounted this on the website . . .

Catalog #: WDS-25
Product: Archaeopteryx Skull (Actual Size)
Quality: Teaching Quality Recreation

. . . I actually misread the last line and wondered if the "recreation" involved some sort of badminton or golf.

MrZ
09-03-2011, 10:51 AM
I think a looong time ago in S. Shields Skulls Unlimited may have had a sign that said Skulls R Us. Skulls Unlimited moved to it's current location on Sunnylane and then built the Osteology Museum next door. There are quite a few billboards around town for it and even an state attraction sign for it near the Sunnylane exit on I-240.

Jesseda
09-03-2011, 10:57 AM
http://youtu.be/MxjARcA1zEo

Questor
09-03-2011, 07:16 PM
I think it's only been open since last October or so. Have heard good things.

tom-snod
09-03-2011, 09:49 PM
Have you been to this museum? It is very well done and very informative. I would recommend it to anyone and it is sure to be a much welcomed attention to OKC. It is a museum only about skeletons. I can't think of any museum with only skeletons in America. Well done and my hat goes off to those at the Museum of Osteology. Nice job!

HewenttoJared
09-07-2011, 12:09 PM
The misses and I went on Labor Day. Fantastic displays, and I think the largest fossil hominid collection I've ever seen in real life.