View Full Version : Dog Day at the Pool?

JayhawkTransplant
09-02-2011, 12:10 PM
In the Kansas City metro area, many pools have a 'dog day at the pool' on Labor Day, before they drain the pool. People bring their dogs and let them loose at the pool. It's pretty funny to see the dogs playing around in the shallow end with the fountains, and the serious ones swimming laps in the deep end.

Do any of the pools in the OKC area do this? I've called a few, and have had no luck. I'd be willing to drive 20 or 30 minutes outside of OKC to do this with my doggie (who is more of a shallow end kind of girl)...

Thunder
09-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Hmmm, good idea. I'd like to get a small plastic pool (for kids) to use for doggies at the market.

betts
09-02-2011, 01:23 PM
I've not heard that they do, but I'd love to have a day like this. I wonder how one would get something like that started.

OKCTalker
09-02-2011, 01:26 PM
That would be some muddy water by the time the "rinse cycle" was completed!

Jersey Boss
09-02-2011, 02:14 PM
So kids would have to forsake using one of the two public pools that are still open on the last day of summer? Really?

Thunder
09-02-2011, 02:17 PM
So kids would have to forsake using one of the two public pools that are still open on the last day of summer? Really?

WOW! Very selfish comment. Kids hog down the water all summer long while the doggies have no fun. Just ONE day is all they ask. Give them that ONE day to feel free.

BBatesokc
09-02-2011, 02:25 PM
When in Austin we love taking our dogs down to the lake to one of a few spots where dog's and their owners gather to play around in the water. Good times!

Our dogs have been in the pool a few times, but always seem to react negatively to the chlorine.

JayhawkTransplant
09-02-2011, 02:39 PM
I've wondered about the chlorine on the dogs, too...it's certainly a contrast from the water at the dog park.

Jersey Boss, the pools in my hometown were never open on Labor Day before they started doing the dog day festivities. So it didn't take away from kiddos swimming.

Sadly, most of the pools in Kansas closed down a few weeks ago due to an unfortunate outbreak of cryptosporidium. The state asked pools to close up for the year to be safe. I'm guessing no doggie days this year.

Choctaw83
09-02-2011, 03:25 PM
Reno Swim and Slide in Midwest City is doing their "dog day" this weekend. I believe it is Monday. You can check the City of Midwest City website for more info.

betts
09-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Our dog was a regular swimmer in our pool, back when we had one. She loved to fetch tennis balls thrown into the pool, but would also swim laps with my husband and I sometimes saw her get in and swim by herself. I never noticed red eyes or any problem with the chlorine.

Thunder
09-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Dogs are constantly drinking chlorine. LOL And we even bathe them in chlorine. So, what is the difference with swimming pools? Ah, it is not the chlorine. Its the use/choice of medication in a specific pool. First find out complete info on a pool to determine this and that.

rcjunkie
09-02-2011, 09:56 PM
In the Kansas City metro area, many pools have a 'dog day at the pool' on Labor Day, before they drain the pool. People bring their dogs and let them loose at the pool. It's pretty funny to see the dogs playing around in the shallow end with the fountains, and the serious ones swimming laps in the deep end.

Do any of the pools in the OKC area do this? I've called a few, and have had no luck. I'd be willing to drive 20 or 30 minutes outside of OKC to do this with my doggie (who is more of a shallow end kind of girl)...

Not in OKC, but the Westwood Pool in Norman has a dog day.

Bostonfan
09-03-2011, 07:31 AM
I believe MWC is having theirs Tuesday, but not sure.

JayhawkTransplant
09-03-2011, 08:40 AM
YESSSS. Thank you to both of you!!

BBatesokc
09-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Dogs are constantly drinking chlorine. LOL And we even bathe them in chlorine. So, what is the difference with swimming pools? Ah, it is not the chlorine. Its the use/choice of medication in a specific pool. First find out complete info on a pool to determine this and that.

There is far more chlorine in a swimming pool than in drinking and bathing water. I drink and bathe in chlorinated water too, but swimming hurts my eyes and gives a slight green tint to my hair.