View Full Version : My 50th High School Renunion

Doug Loudenback
09-01-2011, 02:34 PM
The topic here is not Oklahoma City since I was mainly reared in Lawton, but I'm attending my 50th Lawton High School reunion this weekend. Back in my high school days, Lawton was a member of the old Boomer Conference. Capitol Hill and Midwest City were football powerhouses, as was Lawton, they not infrequently meeting in the state football championships for large schools. (In this time, Tulsa had not lowered itself to participate in the state's athletic organizations, so none of the Tulsa schools were players in the state athletic competition. Ada was also a perennial powerhouse, but Ada was in a smaller high school division conference.)

My blog post is here: http://dougdawg.blogspot.com/2011/09/my-50th-lawton-high-school-class.html

I'll add a few recollections here. In 1959 (my sophomore year), Lawton High lost to Capitol Hill in the state championship game played in Lawton by a score of 8-6. It was a cold and rainy day so much so that Lawton's band didn't even march at half-time. Notwithstanding, about 6 or so of my fellow band members and I did an impromptu march at half-time, lining up on the goal line and marching the length of the field. I don't recall that we were disciplined for taking matters into our own hands. Unfortunately, our ace field goal kicker, Stuart Tonemah, finally missed one, and we lost the game.

In my graduating year, 1961, the state football championship game was between Lawton and Midwest City, and the game was played at Owen Field. We got our plows cleaned by Midwest City, losing 19-0.

The year after I graduated, "Home of Champions" was a title bestowed on LHS by the Oklahoma State Legislature in 1962, when LHS won all five of the major sports State Championship titles.

Here's my school in 1961:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/Lawton/lawtonhigh61s.jpg (http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/Lawton/lawtonhigh61.jpg)

It was a great three years as a kid, and I'm looking forward to seeing faces at the reunion this weekend that I've not seen for 50 years.

USG'60
09-01-2011, 05:15 PM
I had a ball at mine last year, Doug. I'd bet good money you do to.

bluedogok
09-01-2011, 07:37 PM
My dad would have had his 50th last year (if he would have gone) not that far from Lawton, in Altus. I don't think my parents have been to a high school reunion that I can recall. My mother graduated from Altus as well a few years later. My 30th will be next year.

skyrick
09-02-2011, 08:18 AM
My 40th would have been this year, if NEHS had one.

Pete
09-02-2011, 10:48 AM
I organize all my class reunions for Putnam City 1978. We were huge (about 900) so it's a ton of work to locate everyone and get thing organized, but I love doing it.

We are already planning for our 35th in two years. Facebook has certainly made this much easier, although there are still lots of people my age that aren't on it.

Have a great time, Doug! I always find it's not so much about remembering people, it's about having shared so much together at such a formative time. I've made good friends from reunions that I never really knew in high school.

ctchandler
09-02-2011, 11:56 AM
The US Grant class of 61 had their 50th in June. I enjoyed it, but I had a little trouble relating to all of those old folks.
C. T.

Doug Loudenback
09-02-2011, 11:41 PM
I organize all my class reunions for Putnam City 1978. We were huge (about 900) so it's a ton of work to locate everyone and get thing organized, but I love doing it.

We are already planning for our 35th in two years. Facebook has certainly made this much easier, although there are still lots of people my age that aren't on it.

Have a great time, Doug! I always find it's not so much about remembering people, it's about having shared so much together at such a formative time. I've made good friends from reunions that I never really knew in high school.
I'm off later this morning, around 8 a.m., hoping to be able to tour the high school (and stamp on the wolverine in front of the trophy case) and, after that, see what happens. I'm pretty hyped about this.