View Full Version : Oklahoma River Dam Break?

Guy Noir
08-31-2011, 04:43 PM
Anybody know what happened to the water in the western section of the river near Exchange Ave bridge? There does not appear to be anything in the news.

here is what it looks like: http://riversportokc.org/p/river-cams

Just the facts
08-31-2011, 07:10 PM
Low tide?

metro
08-31-2011, 08:12 PM
Emergency repairs, Oklahoman has an article on it

Snowman
09-02-2011, 09:01 AM
OKC press release: http://www.okc.gov/news/2011_08/Oklahoma_River_basin_drained.html

The Western basin of the Oklahoma River, between Walker and May, was drained last night as a result of a hydraulic failure in one of the dam’s six crest gates.

Efforts to repair the crest gate and refill the basin are underway.

The Oklahoma River Cruisers are operating sunset and live entertainment cruises between Meridian and May Ave until the basin can be refilled.

Rowing events primarily occur in the Eastern Basin and will not be impacted.

The seven-mile-long Oklahoma River is a series of three basins: the Eastern Basin, May Basin and Western Basin.

Okiechick
09-03-2011, 08:54 AM
A hydraulic cylinder failed leaking hydraulic fluid into the river. An environmental clean up crew specializing in hazardous materials is trying to clean up the western basin. How much of it escaped the eastern dam is unclear. All very hush hush.

Thunder
09-06-2011, 03:53 PM
That is a very sad picture and image for the state of Oklahoma. I just checked that new cam site and I see that portion of the river very dangerously empty. RIP for all the fishies and livestock that lived in that water area.

Tydude
09-06-2011, 04:10 PM
they say that the fishing and fish should be back to normal next year

venture
09-06-2011, 04:27 PM
There probably isn't any livestock in that area. The Oklahoma River is more or less an artificial river that really wouldn't even be there if it weren't for the dams. Nothing like the rivers back east that actually can sustain themselves with a decently flowing current.

rcjunkie
09-06-2011, 04:58 PM
A hydraulic cylinder failed leaking hydraulic fluid into the river. An environmental clean up crew specializing in hazardous materials is trying to clean up the western basin. How much of it escaped the eastern dam is unclear. All very hush hush.

Was posted in the City of OKC website, I wouldn't call that hush hush!!

Achilleslastand
09-06-2011, 08:05 PM
How come the north canadian river opps i mean the okla river always seems to be full when the area lakes are at an all time low?

Thunder
09-06-2011, 08:22 PM
How come the north canadian river opps i mean the okla river always seems to be full when the area lakes are at an all time low?

Wow! lolol

This is easy. OKC keep it filled. How do you think they do that? ;-)

BG918
09-06-2011, 08:27 PM

And the Canadian is all but dried up. Seriously, I don't think there is any water currently running in it in the south metro.

Snowman
09-06-2011, 10:07 PM

Overholser was not having any let in for an extended period due to construction on 66, Hefner has had a couple refreshes when it could be sent from canton but if they do not do it when the riverbed is saturated from rain then they lose a ton of water (Note: it takes a lot more water to fill the lakes vs the river (which is really just 4 small lakes)). Plus most of the bigger lakes around here are water supplies so have more than just evaporation reducing their level over time. Also during the worst of it they were letting one of the river basins keep the more actively used basin full.

Just the facts
09-07-2011, 07:34 AM
There probably isn't any livestock in that area. The Oklahoma River is more or less an artificial river that really wouldn't even be there if it weren't for the dams. Nothing like the rivers back east that actually can sustain themselves with a decently flowing current.

Before the Army Corp of Engineers straightened it in the 50's it had a pretty constant volume of water.

Snowman
09-07-2011, 08:04 PM

One other thing is their are some requirements for how much water has to go downstream over certain periods of time for the river.

kevinpate
09-07-2011, 08:24 PM

Are the area lakes at an all time low? Draper sure, but that was deliberate to do some work there. Seems to me in 06 or 07 T-bird and some others were lower than they were this summer. Maybe I am mistaken.

Achilleslastand
09-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Are the area lakes at an all time low? Draper sure, but that was deliberate to do some work there. Seems to me in 06 or 07 T-bird and some others were lower than they were this summer. Maybe I am mistaken.

I cant remember Hefner being this low at least not in the last 30 years or so.

RadicalModerate
09-08-2011, 12:44 AM
And people/automated watering systems are still watering the pavement.
Ain't it a bitch?

(Rhetorical Question: Answer--Yes. It is.)