View Full Version : OKC's "peer" cities?

dmoor82
08-30-2011, 07:54 PM
On another forum there was some debate over which cities are OKC's peers,and everyone had different views of what made OKC a peer to another city,things like GDP,convention space,population,urbanized areas,skylines,tiers.....etc,but what cities would you consider OKC's peers?I would have to say cities like Omaha,Tulsa,ABQ,Memphis,Raliegh-Durham,Buffalo,Sacramento and a few others imo!

MustangGT
08-30-2011, 07:58 PM
As you mentioned it all depends upon the criteria and the importance you place each different criteria on them to decide.

dmoor82
08-30-2011, 08:02 PM
As you mentioned it all depends upon the criteria and the importance you place each different criteria on them to decide.

^^ So really there is NO definitive answer,it's just what any person believes,it doesnt make them wrong or right.

MustangGT
08-30-2011, 08:17 PM
Exactly!!! What things I value and find important would not be the same for you or the next person.

Thunder
08-30-2011, 10:24 PM
On another forum there was some debate over which cities are OKC's peers,and everyone had different views of what made OKC a peer to another city,things like GDP,convention space,population,urbanized areas,skylines,tiers.....etc,but what cities would you consider OKC's peers?I would have to say cities like Omaha,Tulsa,ABQ,Memphis,Raliegh-Durham,Buffalo,Sacramento and a few others imo!

I'm not understanding this one bit. You listed cities that is not in Oklahoma, therefore can not be an OKC's peer.

To pick one, I'd say that Bricktown is a city (or town) that is the most important peer with OKC. I'm not sure if The Village and Nichols Hill are a city/town or not. I need to find out if they are legal city/town or just a name division (similar to named housing additions). Midwest City is also important with OKC, and I consider Del City to be within the same system, hence the common name 'Mid-Del' that everyone know as.

Edmond and Moore, I don't consider them as OKC's peers. More like neighboring cities. Norman is too far away, the same for Yukon. Warr Acres, I think of it more like a town, because it seems small to me and I do not see such vital relation with OKC. Choctaw, Spencer, Jones, and Harrah are the same; too far away and lack of vital relation with OKC.

So, to list them in order...

1. Bricktown
2. Mid-Del
3. Nichols Hill
4. The Village
5. ?

#3 and #4 - I'm not sure on their order placement between the two and I listed them if they are really a city.

Bunty
08-30-2011, 10:30 PM
Good grief. Peer must be an inappropriate word to use when trying to compare cities.

ljbab728
08-30-2011, 10:40 PM
Good grief. Peer must be an inappropriate word to use when trying to compare cities.

It probably helps if you understand what the word means, Bunty. It appears that some don't. LOL

Thunder
08-30-2011, 10:42 PM
It probably helps if you understand what the word means, Bunty. It appears that some don't. LOL

Well, just go look it up what the word means. Shouldn't you know this by now? Just type in 'Peer' on Google.com for plentiful results. Good luck!

betts
08-30-2011, 10:46 PM
Salt Lake City, Memphis, Louisville are three that come to mind for me. Sizes are fairly comparable. There are advantages and disadvantages to all of these cities, compared to OKC.

ljbab728
08-30-2011, 10:53 PM
Well, just go look it up what the word means. Shouldn't you know this by now? Just type in 'Peer' on Google.com for plentiful results. Good luck!

That would be a good suggestion for youself, Thunder. From your previous post it's obvious that you don't really understand it. You're entitled to your opinion anyway.

semisimple
08-30-2011, 11:18 PM
My personal categorization is based mostly on economy (GMP and personal income), population, and amenities. So I would say the closest peers of OKC are Memphis, Louisville, Jacksonville, Hartford, Salt Lake City, New Orleans, and Richmond.

I would consider cities like Omaha, Albuquerque, Tucson, Tulsa, Birmingham, and Buffalo as "peer" cities that OKC is a step or two ahead of.

Likewise I think larger/more developed cities like Indianapolis, Nashville, Columbus, Austin, Milwaukee, and Raleigh-Durham could possibly be considered peer cities of OKC.

IMO Sacramento is just too much larger than OKC to be included in this group.