View Full Version : Fire Emergency

Pages : [1] 2

Thunder
08-30-2011, 04:56 PM
Today has been a tragic day with numerous wildfire disasters across the state.

Did anyone catch my reporting on KOCO that was first instantly? They posted a picture that I took on their front page until their news crew arrived on the scene. I sent more pictures to KOCO, but was having issues with the police blocking me out. At one point, I was on Britton, just north of the front fire line and waited until a cop ordered me out the way. *sighs* This is a free country, no one own my body and soul.

Anyways, please, if you got resources, deliver prepared meals and drinks to the firefighters and news crew out there.

Here is one of several I took.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc92/thunderokc/2011-08-30140953.jpg

USG'60
08-30-2011, 05:28 PM
It will be interesting to see how OKC's biggest McMansion fairs through the evening.

Thunder
08-30-2011, 05:36 PM
It will be interesting to see how OKC's biggest McMansion fairs through the evening.

Is that the one in the picture above? If so, I should've stayed there longer to see if the fire finally got to it. I waited so long, then decided to attempt moving in closer before going home. Would make for a good video to catch it on fire for KOCO.

The fires are raging quickly toward million dollars homes. I'm not sure how far apart now or about to torch them up skyhigh, but those houses are in grave danger. And it is getting dark soon, so that means all sky assistance will be grounded and the firefighters will not be able to effectively fight these fires overnight, so a long day tomorrow for everyone.

SoonerQueen
08-30-2011, 06:13 PM
We drove out there and got as far east as we could without passing the evacuation area.That was one horrible fire. With the heat,lack of humidity and the wind, it was an awful day in eastern Ok county. My prayers go out to those that lost their homes. There was one woman with 6 kids. I wonder how her home is.

Larry OKC
08-30-2011, 07:15 PM
Nice pic Thunder.

MustangGT
08-30-2011, 07:30 PM

Complete exterior is concrete construction with a clay tile roof. As the pic barely shows the grass is cut short and very few trees on the property. Also it has its own fire supression systems.

ljbab728
08-30-2011, 10:16 PM
Nice pic Thunder.

It may be a nice pic but I'm sure the people providing emergency services in that area would have been much happier if the public had stayed at home at watched on TV instead of being gawkers and giving them more people in the area to worry about.

Thunder
08-30-2011, 10:28 PM
It may be a nice pic but I'm sure the people providing emergency services in that area would have been much happier if the public had stayed at home at watched on TV instead of being gawkers and giving them more people in the area to worry about.

This was at the intersection of Britton and Sooner. It was not even roadblocked at the time of the picture. And I had to zoom in to get a good shot of the building.

ljbab728
08-30-2011, 10:37 PM
This was at the intersection of Britton and Sooner. It was not even roadblocked at the time of the picture. And I had to zoom in to get a good shot of the building.

I know where you were, I"ve been to that area. Even if it wasn't roadblocked, going to that area to sightsee is a terrible idea. I never understand why people want to go to areas that are having emergencies when they aren't there to help or have a personal interest in someone who lives in that area. I watched about ten minutes coverage and turned to another channel. I'm not knocking the media coverage. They need to keep us informed and did a good job of that.

Thunder
08-30-2011, 10:40 PM
I did it for KOCO to keep people updated and informed.

Thunder
08-31-2011, 06:31 PM
Don't forget your ultimate Fire Info resource.

http://livewire.koco.com/Event/Live_Wire_Wildfires_Across_OKC_Pott_County2

BBatesokc
08-31-2011, 06:42 PM
Anyone else heard that possibly an OCPD firing range may have ignited one of the latest grass fires? I know some media inquiries have been made. I'm not sure where all the different ranges are, so I don't have much of an opinion.

ctchandler
08-31-2011, 07:33 PM
Well, Just to let all of you kids know, this is real, we don't need sightseers, and I have been evacuated. I live .3 mile from Air Depot between 122nd and Hefner. At this point I have no idea whether I have a home (with all the memories associated with it) or not. Wish me luck.
C. T.

ctchandler
08-31-2011, 07:43 PM
Sorry, Kids wasn't intended to be pejorative, but a lot of you are kids to me. A nicer comment would have been "folks". I'm just not in a nice mood right now and I suspect you all understand.
C. T.

USG'60
08-31-2011, 08:41 PM
What's the word, CT? How'd it turn out?

HewenttoJared
08-31-2011, 08:53 PM
Best of luck, CT. Rough day for everyone out there.

mugofbeer
08-31-2011, 09:19 PM
My prayers are with you and everyone else in NE OKC> THey are showing it on TV here in Denver

Thunder
08-31-2011, 09:27 PM
I believe this is the WORST fire season in the history of Oklahoma statehood.

ou48A
08-31-2011, 09:45 PM
Every time I see one of these fires I wonder why people haven’t done more too preemptively remove the cedar trees on their property, particularly those near their homes, out buildings and livestock areas?
Wild fires are a big part of the prairie eco system.
Like the other hazards of mother nature we need to learn how to actively minimize our risk.

Thunder
08-31-2011, 10:36 PM
This is the start of the SE OKC fire (location in video - SE 59th and west of Anderson). I got there before major intersections was blocked and only two or three nearby police cars went to the scene to prepare. Quite close as I could get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvhc54vknO4

I made the video short in order to email it to KOCO, but the file size was too large (need to figure out how to remove file size limit restriction). Wish I just kept video on longer.

ljbab728
08-31-2011, 10:56 PM
This is the start of the SE OKC fire (location in video - SE 44th and west of Anderson). I got there before major intersections was blocked and only two or three nearby police cars went to the scene to prepare. Quite close as I could get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvhc54vknO4

I made the video short in order to email it to KOCO, but the file size was too large (need to figure out how to remove file size limit restriction). Wish I just kept video on longer.

Thunder, surely you're not still going out to that area to sightsee. Did you read what CT, who lives there, said? Please stay away and leave it to the professionals.

Thunder
08-31-2011, 11:05 PM
I edited my post with video. It was on SE 59th, not SE 44th, that I was on in the video. When I move the video to the right, you can see the other fire near I-40 that was started with this fire's flying embers.

ljbab728, I happened to be in the area and was one of the first to report the emergency. KOCO was first to deliver the breaking news. Don't worry kiddo, I know what I'm doing. I've worked with KOCO for years.

ljbab728
08-31-2011, 11:42 PM
I edited my post with video. It was on SE 59th, not SE 44th, that I was on in the video. When I move the video to the right, you can see the other fire near I-40 that was started with this fire's flying embers.

ljbab728, I happened to be in the area and was one of the first to report the emergency. KOCO was first to deliver the breaking news. Don't worry kiddo, I know what I'm doing. I've worked with KOCO for years.

Kiddo, I don't care how many things you may have submitted to KOCO in the past. You're not an emergency responder professional. You may be a professional sightseer at best. Please stay out of those areas and keep out of the way of the professionals. They don't need or want you anywhere close when they're trying to do a job.

Thunder
08-31-2011, 11:48 PM
Kiddo, I don't care how many things you may have submitted to KOCO in the past. You're not an emergency responder professional. You may be a professional sightseer at best. Please stay out of those areas and keep out of the way of the professionals. They don't need or want you anywhere close when they're trying to do a job.

Please. I do not get in their way. I stay to myself. Park from a distance. Walk to here and there, take some pictures, and not be a bother at all. ljbab728, please use this time praying and helping others instead of fighting on here, thanks.

ljbab728
09-01-2011, 12:08 AM
Please. I do not get in their way. I stay to myself. Park from a distance. Walk to here and there, take some pictures, and not be a bother at all. ljbab728, please use this time praying and helping others instead of fighting on here, thanks.

I'm not fighting at all, Thunder. I'm trying to convince you that you're not helping anyone by being in the emergency areas and, that by doing that, I'm concerned about helping those in need more than you are. I know you have a fascination with natural disasters (tornadoes) but you need to control that fascination sometimes.

Thunder
09-01-2011, 12:10 AM
I'm not fighting at all, Thunder. I'm trying to convince you that you're not helping anyone by being in the emergency areas and, that by doing that, I'm concerned about helping those in need more than you are. I know you have a fascination with natural disasters (tornados) but you need to control that fascination sometimes.

Its all under control. The pictures are used to broadcast all across the state to show the people how serious and deadly the fires are and to keep them away. You do your job and I will do mine.

ljbab728
09-01-2011, 12:13 AM
Its all under control. The pictures are used to broadcast all across the state to show the people how serious and deadly the fires are and to keep them away. You do your job and I will do mine.

I do my job, Thunder. Your job is not to go to emergency areas. There are professionals to do that and you're not a professional. You need to follow your own advice and keep away.

Thunder
09-01-2011, 12:24 AM
I do my job, Thunder. Your job is not to go to emergency areas. There are professionals to do that and you're not a professional. You need to follow your own advice and keep away.

Sweetie, do not worry. Everything is just absolutely fine.

ljbab728
09-01-2011, 12:35 AM
Sweetie, do not worry. Everything is just absolutely fine.

Sweetie, everything is not fine as long as you keep going to the fire emergency areas. Try asking the professionals about that and see who they agree with. Please just use some good judgement, Thunder. There are people whose property is danger and whose lives are seriously affected and you're concerned about taking pictures. As CT said, they don't want you there.

ctchandler
09-01-2011, 05:33 AM
Thanks to all of you, I appreciate your concerns. I am currently in the Holiday Inn Express and am getting ready to head home and find out my status. I will let you know.
C. T.

Tydude
09-01-2011, 07:36 AM
Thunder you should listen to them don't go the area they have it block out so people like you don't go in there and get hurt by taking pictures.

Tydude
09-01-2011, 07:37 AM
plus thunder don't work for KOCO 5.he is just a viewer who wants his picture to be on the air

Thunder
09-01-2011, 08:03 AM
plus thunder don't work for KOCO 5.he is just a viewer who wants his picture to be on the air

Incorrect.

Never said I work 'for' KOCO. I said that I work 'with' KOCO on the LW side among many other people that help reports to KOCO. My pictures go to uLocal. Not my goal to get them on television, but if the pictures do, then good. :-)

Thunder
09-01-2011, 08:04 AM
Thunder you should listen to them don't go the area they have it block out so people like you don't go in there and get hurt by taking pictures.

I think a lot of people assume that I get real close as news crew can, but that is not true. The camera just make it seem real close. Additionally, I can only go where people are allowed to observe. :-)

Tydude
09-01-2011, 08:07 AM
@Thunder i care for your safety and please don't go to that area if you don't have a house

Tydude
09-01-2011, 08:10 AM
I did it for KOCO to keep people updated and informed.

they have reporters who know what they are doing.They don't want people the like you to take pictures in that area if you don't lived in the area

Thunder
09-01-2011, 08:16 AM
KOCO relies a lot on eyewitnesses to send in reports, pictures, and videos. Remember the NE OKC fire two days ago? None of the KOCO crews were there at the start when it broke out, because of the major fire in Pottie (can't spell it long) County. I was the closest one to it, took some pictures, they actually used them to alert the public until their crews arrived on the scene. So, its helpful for eyewitnesses to work together on getting the info out there. Its a bonus for KOCO to be the first to have material posted before other news media.

Let ya in on a secret, most pictures were at least a mile away. Gotta love the zoom, eh? Make it seems so much closer. I keep my distance. Just remain calm, people.

Tyler, when the NE OKC fire first started two days ago, it was near where I live. The fire in SE OKC also happened to be within the area that I was just driving through (family in area).

Tydude
09-01-2011, 08:20 AM
Dude i don't want you to get hurt so please just let the reporters and Firefighters do they job. and do go out there

RadicalModerate
09-01-2011, 08:23 AM
I guess you could say that now we have FLAME Chasers in addition to Storm Chasers . . .
(The common denominator here may be what some might perceive as a lack of common sense . . .)

Thunder
09-01-2011, 08:34 AM
I guess you could say that now we have FLAME Chasers in addition to Storm Chasers . . .
(The common denominator here may be what some might perceive as a lack of common sense . . .)

This has the potential to become a career now that Oklahoma is on Fire. It just may be a common occurrence. :-/

RadicalModerate
09-01-2011, 08:39 AM
This has the potential to become a career now that Oklahoma is on Fire. It just may be a common occurrence. :-/

Just be sure you are carrying liability insurance and have some sort of Workman's Comp insurance in effect. I would imagine that if you got hurt while providing news coverage to a local station there are some legal ramifications . . . Mostly for the TV station . . . The one with the deep pockets. So don't get hurt and try to sue.

And as far as the liablility part goes, if a fireman or police officer claims that they were delayed in any way with the performance of their duties and someone's house burns up, the homeowner would probably have to go after you.

Tydude
09-01-2011, 08:42 AM
if he gets hurt by taking pictures he won't win because he doesn't even work for KOCO 5 he just doing it for fun

RadicalModerate
09-01-2011, 08:43 AM
If they make use of his pictures, I'm pretty sure that a lawyer like the one on "Breaking Bad" could make a "case". Something along the lines of "The Fruit of the Flaming Tree" or whatnot--except in Latin.

Don't lawyers sometimes do things "Pro Boner"?

Thunder
09-01-2011, 08:55 AM
No, I'm not going to sue KOCO. They're family. I have my own insurances.

Thunder
09-01-2011, 08:56 AM
And as far as the liablility part goes, if a fireman or police officer claims that they were delayed in any way with the performance of their duties and someone's house burns up, the homeowner would probably have to go after you.

Its a good thing I keep my distance. :-)

Thunder
09-01-2011, 09:02 AM
he just doing it for fun

Its not fun. Its has been tragic.

Tydude
09-01-2011, 09:19 AM
well he has listen to us because he hasn't risk his life to take pictures

Jesseda
09-01-2011, 09:35 AM
why do you guys like to push thunders buttons? If he wants to take pics of the fire let him, WTH he is not bothering anyone as long as he keeps out of the rescue workers way and keeps a safe distance.

RadicalModerate
09-01-2011, 09:38 AM
I agree, Jesseda . . . Yet I think you may be overlooking the fact that Thunder likes to have those buttons pushed. We are just being concerned pals. That's all. (Although I can certainly understand how one might miss that fact. But it's okay and Thunder is okay so at the end of the day it's all OK.)

Jesseda
09-01-2011, 09:46 AM
okay radicalmoderate, just making sure its out of concern and not just going crazy angry on him. I have been here long enough to read that thunder gets excited over natures fury, just thank god this state doesnt have a ocean with it or we would be seeing crazy dangerous hurricane pics and videos thunder created :)

RadicalModerate
09-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Anyone who would ever go "crazy angry" on Thunder would probably be well advised to have their heads examined.

(Of course, that is simply my opinion based only upon a relatively limited time within the conversational matrix of this forum.)

ctchandler
09-01-2011, 09:59 AM
My home is OK, apparently they didn't evacuate my location but they wouldn't let me go home when I tried. They did listen to me this morning and allowed me to go to my home. I think things were just too hectic for the police yesterday and they wouldn't even look at my drivers license. It was probably just as well. No power, no air conditioning, sleeping would have been at best uncomfortable, and for old guys (ME), potentially dangerous. I picked up a few more things and am going to let Holiday Inn take care of me one more night. Hopefully, the cooler weather and some clouds will give our fire fighters and all the folks working on the situation some relief.
C. T.

Thunder
09-01-2011, 10:06 AM
okay radicalmoderate, just making sure its out of concern and not just going crazy angry on him. I have been here long enough to read that thunder gets excited over natures fury, just thank god this state doesnt have a ocean with it or we would be seeing crazy dangerous hurricane pics and videos thunder created :)

You know me too well. :-)

But..yes, I'd love to be on the shore to watch the waves and get shots of the approaching Hurricane's core.

Maybe next year, I will get lucky to get a tornado core published. lol

okcisok
09-01-2011, 10:09 AM
C T, so glad to hear that your home was spared. I'm sure you spent a fretful night wondering about it. It was heartbreaking to see the damage the fires were causing. And the poor firemen trying their best to do an impossible job. God bless them. Let Holiday Inn keep you cool!

RadicalModerate
09-01-2011, 10:25 AM
Amen to that.
(Not to mention the houseful of memories that remain intact.)

ctchandler
09-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Yes, with nothing to do but think about things, I thought about all of the things I should have brought to the Holiday Inn. Of course, I would have needed six-eight rooms, and a moving company. After 36 years, all our photos, wedding pictures, and of course many other things. But, It's impossible. I really feel for those that have lost their homes. Things appear better now, but I won't really know for sure until I get up tomorrow morning. The fire department spokesman was fairly confident at the noon press conference.
C. T.

okcisok
09-01-2011, 02:50 PM
C T, my kids are always after me to get out photos on a cd and in the safety deposit box at the bank. That's one of those things "I keep meaning to do". The least I should do is get copies of some of the real old ones to a cousin or someone else in the family. There are some things that really are irreplaceable and old family photos are one.

Thunder
09-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Don't forget to open your bank accounts and wallets for donations to Oklahoma Red Cross. They need the money to purchase bulk items and to cover expenses.

USG'60
09-01-2011, 05:10 PM
Glad to hear your news, CT.

Tydude
09-01-2011, 05:46 PM
Don't forget to open your bank accounts and wallets for donations to Oklahoma Red Cross. They need the money to purchase bulk items and to cover expenses.
everyone should donate to red cross