View Full Version : If you don’t already know this about OU, you should.

ou48A
08-29-2011, 07:48 PM
I sometime think that Oklahoma’s under value the huge improvement that OU has made academically.
I don’t believe the information about OU below is very widely known by our residents.

http://www.ou.edu/content/publicaffairs/archives/CarnegieClassification.html

OKLAHOMA CITY – University of Oklahoma President David L. Boren announced today that OU has achieved the Carnegie Foundation’s highest tier of research activity classification, the first time a public institution in Oklahoma has received this outstanding recognition.

“The Carnegie Classification is one of the most important measures that distinguish among institutions of higher education,” Boren said. “As the only very high research university in the state, OU is an engine for economic growth for Oklahoma because proximity to an outstanding research university is among the most important factors in business start-up or relocation decisions. Achieving this classification has been a goal of the University of Oklahoma,” Boren said. He added, “This achievement is a great credit to the faculty and research-related staff of the University.”

Since 1994, OU’s Norman campus research and sponsored programs expenditures have almost tripled. In FY2010, the OU Norman campus set a new record in research expenditures of more than $86 million, marking the second largest year-to-year increase in the past decade. As funding increased, the number of OU investigators involved in sponsored research grew, up 7 percent from the previous year, and the median award size increased to $87,000, up $15,000.

“The Carnegie Very High Research Classification is a significant tribute to the hard work and creativity of our faculty,” said OU Vice President for Research Kelvin Droegemeier. “It will greatly increase OU’s stature and visibility nationally, open doors of opportunity for increased external funding, improve OU’s ability to recruit outstanding faculty and students, and have a positive impact on numerous other rankings that utilize the Carnegie designation as a metric.”

Created in 1970 by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching with the first classification issued in 1973, the Carnegie Classification system is a widely used framework for classifying, or grouping, U.S. colleges and universities. Its primary purpose is for educational research and analysis. The classification includes all accredited, degree-granting colleges and universities in the United States that are represented in the National Center for Education Statistics Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System, or IPEDS. For more information on the Carnegie Classifications for 2010, visit www.carnegiefoundation.org/classifications/.

The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, chartered in 1906 by an act of Congress, is an independent policy and research center. Its current mission is to support needed transformation in American education through the tighter connections between teaching practice, evidence of student learning, the communication and use of this evidence, and structured opportunities to build knowledge.

dcsooner
08-29-2011, 08:46 PM
Pretty large list, not very exclusive

dankrutka
08-29-2011, 09:20 PM
I couldn't really figure out where to find what schools qualified for this ranking and those that did not...

mugofbeer
08-29-2011, 09:25 PM

It's progress. One step of many, hopefully.

ou48A
08-29-2011, 09:43 PM

This is not the end of the great progress. We have great work left to do!
Success like this has a way of building on its self.
But do you have any idea where OU ranked academically 25 years ago?

I have got to believe that DR George Lynn Cross has received his wish for his football team.:congrats:

dcsooner
08-30-2011, 04:53 AM
From: actionline@sooner.net.ou.edu on behalf of President's Action Line
[actionline@sooner.net.ou.edu]
Sent: Friday, July 22, 2011 11:12 AM
To: ME
Subject: Re: Association of American Universities

Hi XXXX,

You make some excellent points. Each year we strive to improve our rankings in
publications like the Princeton Review and US News and World Reports. In all
actuality, OU has improved in every empirical measure that US News documents
and have done so convincingly over the past 3 years. Our graduation rate is
soaring, we have more Rhodes Scholars than any of the other schools you
mentioned. Unfortunately, a large portion of the rankings come from academic
perception of the university. Even though we have been outpacing our
"superiors", the ranking system is in and of itself a self-fulfilling
prophecy. Top tier schools remain up there because academics across the
country recognize them historically. It is very disappointing that so much of
the ranking rests on professors and researchers who have never even been
within two states of Oklahoma.

However, this perception is changing rapidly. Our professors are some of the
best in the country. We are gaining national attention in our research output,
even attracting national centers sponsored by the United States government.
Such large centers like the National Weather Center and Center for the
Creation of Economic Wealth are a testament to our recent successes. New
businesses are being created, our graduates are moving on to fulfilling and
high paying jobs, and increasing the brand value of OU.

It is tremendous to see the changes that have come about during the Boren era
and certainly has been a blast to be a part of it. If you have any ideas, we
would certainly love to hear more from you. Feel free to reach out anytime,
and have a great weekend!

Best,
Chris

President's Action Line
actionline@ou.edu

On 7/21/11 5:36 AM, "xxxxx> wrote:

>President Boren,
> You are a great President for the University of Oklahoma, however, I
>have often wondered why OU is ranked so Low in US News and World Report
>Ranking and most recently why OU is not considered one of the very best
>research universities as identified by the AAU. You speak a great deal
>about OU's achievements and rightfully so, but, why can't OU be ranked
>with Kansas, Mo, Iowa State, Texas, Texas AM (Colo) in terms of
>academic excellence? I have been looking for some time for OU to move
>past the new 2d tier of US new rankings 119 or so to at least the
>bottom of the first tier. To truly be a pacesetter in Education,
>shouldn't the university lead the ranking in something? Well, besides
>Petroleum Engineering?
>
>XXXXX
>OU 77

#111 University of Oklahoma
Norman, OK

In-state tuition and fees: $5,477 (2010-11) Out-of-state tuition and fees: $13,822 (2010-11) Enrollment: 21,059 Setting: urban The University of Oklahoma is a large, public research institution in Norman. Its campus is also home to the National Weather Center, where undergraduates can find research and study opportunities.

BG918
08-30-2011, 07:55 PM
Hopefully this will mean more job growth in Norman both at the main campus and at the research park.

dankrutka
08-31-2011, 06:23 PM
That is a pretty impressive response to your e-mail. If nothing else, OU should be given credit for responsiveness.

dankrutka
08-31-2011, 06:27 PM
Also, just because a school is ranked high does not mean it is better. These research rankings tend to give value to research over everything. This sometimes means you get great researchers and terrible teachers at a university that's primary mission is to educate. Teaching and researching should be separate jobs for those that aren't good at teaching (just like teaching and coaching should be separate jobs at the middle/high school level for coaches that really aren't interested in teaching). I have two degrees at OU and life-changing professors who would help our ranking none. I also had terrible professers who made OU appear a better school in these rankings. Just something to think about. It's not always best to obsess over these rankings...

Pete
08-31-2011, 06:36 PM
Yes, very impressive response and the points made are important.

So much of academic ranking is perception and that takes time to change.

I've tracked the changes at OU with great interest and am quite frankly extremely impressed. In every way standards have been raised and in many cases, quite dramatically. The same is true for the Health Sciences Center.

The starting point wasn't very high but still, it's just a matter of time before those outside the state recognize the amazing job Boren has been doing.

For Oklahoma to really move forward, it needs at least one excellent university and OU is headed in that direction; Burns Hargis seems to be doing a great job at OSU as well.

ou48A
11-15-2011, 09:53 AM
Good news for OU research ($75 million)

http://news.yahoo.com/want-weird-weather-come-oklahoma-142411949.html

Norman, home to the National Weather Festival, has become a magnet for meteorology students from around the country. The University of Oklahoma there built a five-story, $69 million National Weather Center six years ago, and installed the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association (NOAA) as its largest tenant.

This week, NOAA said it will send the university $75 million in federal funds for weather radar research to improve severe storm forecasts and increase understanding of extreme weather.

Smith, the National Weather Service meteorologist, calls OU a "top-of-the-list" institution for people serious about weather.

"For going to school in a natural laboratory, you can't beat it."

There is at least one benefit to the state's weather.

Just the facts
11-22-2011, 09:18 PM
Top tier schools remain up there because academics across the
country recognize them historically. It is very disappointing that so much of
the ranking rests on professors and researchers who have never even been
within two states of Oklahoma.

I can agree with this 100%. I have worked with many Ivy League grads over the years and most of them are as dumb as hammers. They are good at reading books but don't have any ability to apply what they know to everyday life.

Spartan
01-15-2012, 08:44 PM
That is a pretty impressive response to your e-mail. If nothing else, OU should be given credit for responsiveness.

I never got that kind of responsiveness...amazing the difference of being an alum.