View Full Version : AT&T Proposes 125' Cell Phone Tower in SOSA

Urban Pioneer
08-28-2011, 07:07 AM
A friend just forwarded me an application that may be going before the Planning Commission Sept 9th.

It indicates AT&T has "grand plans" for a 125' monopole, standard cell phone tower between 5th and 6th Streets mid-block at Francis in SOSA.

This is directly behind City Glass at the alley.

To me, the idea of this "visual pollution" would be a travesty to all the development occuring in the area.

Thunder
08-28-2011, 07:17 AM
I assume you do not have a cell phone.

It is not visual pollution. We hardly notice these towers.

Urban Pioneer
08-28-2011, 07:22 AM
Yes, I do have a cell phone. I'm using it now. The contract has expired and it is with AT&T. Hmmmm...

In other communities antennae are "hidden" inside bell towers and such. The proposed location is at the base of a hill. It seems that this tower will be noticed by a great many people.

bluedogok
08-28-2011, 08:18 AM
Twenty years ago I worked for a firm in Dallas that did the design for most of these towers in North Texas, that firm eventually became a different one that does nothing but cell sites. We had several hidden installations and many of rooftops of office buildings. We did one inside the steeple of the large church on Northwest Highway (Loop 12) in the Highland Park are because they did not allow tower installations, most there are on or in a building. It can be done but it costs more, land leases/installations are usually cheaper and less complicated than rooftop leases. Kind of like the Bricktown parking garage, they are going for the cheap and easy installation at first and more than likely have a backup plan already considered should that be denied. There is no reason for a monopole or lattice tower installation in that area other than it is cheaper and easier.

Urban Pioneer
08-28-2011, 09:19 AM
No doubt. I actually did the bells in that church years ago. Methodist Church I think.

For me personally, I have great disdain for NIMBYISM. However, I also yearn for the days and attitudes in which executives took a bit more pride in trying to build infrastructure in a more positive way. Even if it's a "feeble" attempt at that involving bushes and a decent fence screen.

It seems that the cell developers are the absolute worst in proposing the cheapest design and only "give in" when they meet serious community opposition.

Thunder is wrong about people not noticing these sites. They become very obvious when you are scouting an area in search of property to develop. In SOSA, this is particularly important. So if it goes in as planned, it probably will directly affect the financial viability of adjacent property and those properties in the "sight line" of the downtown skyline. My guess is that as long as the western side of downtown does not "decline" anymore, we would see more development around Classen.

Projects such of these without any aesthetic sensitivity will simply reinforce the western side as a hardened, industrial area thus limiting viability.

Spartan
08-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Yeah, this is insane.

Larry OKC
08-28-2011, 11:36 AM
Not saying there aren't better ways to do them for those that it does bother either. But I rarely notice cell towers so I guess I am in the minority on this one. Not saying I would necessarily want one in my backyard, but as long as they were willing to pay to put it there, I would probably be ok with it. LOL

Architect2010
08-28-2011, 01:14 PM
How do people not notice cell phone towers? They aren't microbial. 125 ft? Yeah, I bet your money you'll notice this one. This kinda irks me too, knowing that it's integral for functioning as infrastructure, but why does it have to be placed there? Fact is AT&Tmobile doesn't give a crap what it looks like or how it may affect surrounding development, because little Oklahoma City doesn't mean anything to them.

Larry OKC
08-28-2011, 01:42 PM
Can't tell ya why, I just rarely do is all. I notice telephone/utility poles, TV/Radio towers etc so I don't know why I have a block against cell phone ones. LOL

kevinpate
08-28-2011, 01:55 PM
is this a tall skinny open brace metal tower that gets narrower as it goes up, or a single pole with cell equipment on top? Monopole suggests the latter to me, but I'm fairly tower/pole blind myself.

metro
08-28-2011, 02:10 PM
Not saying there aren't better ways to do them for those that it does bother either. But I rarely notice cell towers so I guess I am in the minority on this one. Not saying I would necessarily want one in my backyard, but as long as they were willing to pay to put it there, I would probably be ok with it. LOL

Larry you're in the minority on most urban issues.

Jeff, is there a petition going around? You and I both own property within a block or so away. I'd be glad to sign it.

Thunder, quit the drivel.

Architect2010
08-28-2011, 02:12 PM
Can't tell ya why, I just rarely do is all. I notice telephone/utility poles, TV/Radio towers etc so I don't know why I have a block against cell phone ones. LOL

I see. Understandably, towers of all sorts litter our urban environments and I think we just become adjusted to them over time. Yeah?

Urban Pioneer
08-28-2011, 04:36 PM

Jeff, is there a petition going around? You and I both own property within a block or so away. I'd be glad to sign it.

Fortunately, my property is two blocks away and it is behind me. It doesn't disturb my view at 5th/Dewey. So for me, this is two part-

1. All around downtown/SOSA issue
2. Wanting to know what our city's general policy is on these things

Regarding "monopole", my guess is it will probably be like the one at 23rd/Walker on the edge of Paseo but taller. Someone told me on Facebook, I quote "that it is only 80" as if that's supposed to help. Lol. But then I checked their site plan application and it denotes 125'.

Also, compared to permitting I have gone through for our company, the filing by the applicant seems extemely lacking in any real detail such as elevation drawings. If our friend making light of a 80' pole somehow denoted somewhere, it might be intentionally misleading. Always refer to the site plan. That is what the inspector will go by. Not the written description.

Regarding a petition, don't know of one. Just attend the meeting I suggest or have letters written.

rcjunkie
08-28-2011, 05:09 PM
AT&T constructed a 90" pole on property my step dad owns, it's disguised as a flag pole. They even included the large flag, and have replaced it twice when flag became tattered

Rover
08-28-2011, 05:13 PM
Are there any codes or restrictions in place in the inner city? Or anywhere in the city?

Larry OKC
08-28-2011, 05:54 PM

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I was on the "urban" side during the SandRidge mess. One reason may be that I have never viewed OKC as being "urban" (New York, Chicago etc), we are primarily a suburban or rural city. I understand the inherent contradiction of terms, but it is what it is.

Snowman
08-28-2011, 05:59 PM
Are there any codes or restrictions in place in the inner city? Or anywhere in the city?

Their does not seem to be much restrictions once you are a just outside the downtown core but it is hard to say how many of those would still pass today given that urban planning is a much higher priority than it was just five to ten years ago. Even in the downtown area their is some with no attempt to hide the one east of lower bricktown or the one near Dewey and Reno. There are a few downtown on buildings: the AT&T, building Pinnacle Towers & Oklahoma Gas And Electric Co. Tower.

ookkcc
08-28-2011, 06:00 PM
Allowing the tower to be constructed at this location would be a huge step backwards. The proposed location is relatively undeveloped and has nothing but great potential which will be seriously stifled if the tower goes in. The tower could easily be located in the already developed industrial area a few blocks to the east or atop any number of downtown buildings.

The case comes before the Planning Commission on September 8th at 1:30 PM. The more people who attend and object the better. If you can't make it you can email your concerns to staff member J.J. Chambless at 'jj.chambless@okc.gov' In any communication with staff you should reference: CASE SP-441 - By applicant: AT&T mobility. Deadline to submit materials by email is Friday, Sept. 2nd at noon.

plmccordj
08-28-2011, 06:30 PM
This is just funny. 125 foot cell phone tower is actually shorter than most that are 140 feet. These people that complain about cell phone towers making the area look bad are the same type of people that live for home owners associations HOA. You know them... They are the ones that feel they have some right to tell other people what they can do with their own property.

A person spends hundreds of thousands of dollars on a home and then some holier than thou HOA member wants to tell them what they can do with their own property. Then they go around telling people that they are "PROGRESSIVE". Yeah... Progressive as in Communist. Before you start in on the argument that a person voluntarily joins an HOA when they buy their house, that too is hogwash. The only way they can do that is to either buy an old home, or build in the country. GASP! Did he say build in the country? That is SPRAWL! He is speaking blasphemy! A person in America would be hard pressed to find a SINGLE "new" home in a residential neighborhood that is not covenant restricted, HOA. This is something that I am very passionate about and do not care if I offend anyone or not. If you don't like the tower, then close your eyes.

Same with the HOA BS. If I want to line my front yard with refigerators, it is my business. There is no such thing as a right to property values. Especially when it come at the cost of your neighbor's freedoms. Property values are and should always be secondary to freedom.

I say build the cell phone tower and make it 200 feet just to irritate these holier than thou Communists that feel they have ANY say in what someone else does with their property. Start the flame war because I am ready for all you PROGRESSIVES (cough cough).

kevinpate
08-28-2011, 06:35 PM
Three terrorists with tiny flame throwers couldn't pull off a hijack any better than that. Well played, well played.

Just the facts
08-28-2011, 08:57 PM
For me personally, I have great disdain for NIMBYISM.

How about BIMBYISM - as in - Better in my back yard. There are a lot of things that could be done with a 125' tower. How about if red letters were put on it that spelled out MIDTOWN in a vertical fashion. Then it would become iconic. Led lights could also be installed that would animate it at night. It could be painted alternating red and white for view during the day. We have one of these towers just south of downtown Jax that is red and white. It always reminds me of Tokyo Tower. Checkout the Biltmore radio towers in Midtown Atlanta for some ideas.

CuatrodeMayo
08-28-2011, 09:17 PM
How about BIMBYISM - as in - Better in my back yard. There are a lot of things that could be done with a 125' tower. How about if red letters were put on it that spelled out MIDTOWN in a vertical fashion. Then it would become iconic. Led lights could also be installed that would animate it at night. It could be painted alternating red and white for view during the day. We have one of these towers just south of downtown Jax that is red and white. It always reminds me of Tokyo Tower. Checkout the Biltmore radio towers in Midtown Atlanta for some ideas.

I actually don't totally hate that idea...interesting.

Just the facts
08-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Heck, spend a little money and do this

http://citynoise.org/upload/35144.jpg

Urban Pioneer
08-28-2011, 10:49 PM
This is just funny. 125 foot cell phone tower is actually shorter than most that are 140 feet. These people that complain about cell phone towers making the area look bad are the same type of people that live for home owners associations HOA. You know them... They are the ones that feel they have some right to tell other people what they can do with their own property.

A person spends hundreds of thousands of dollars on a home and then some holier than thou HOA member wants to tell them what they can do with their own property. Then they go around telling people that they are "PROGRESSIVE". Yeah... Progressive as in Communist. Before you start in on the argument that a person voluntarily joins an HOA when they buy their house, that too is hogwash. The only way they can do that is to either buy an old home, or build in the country. GASP! Did he say build in the country? That is SPRAWL! He is speaking blasphemy! A person in America would be hard pressed to find a SINGLE "new" home in a residential neighborhood that is not covenant restricted, HOA. This is something that I am very passionate about and do not care if I offend anyone or not. If you don't like the tower, then close your eyes.

Same with the HOA BS. If I want to line my front yard with refigerators, it is my business. There is no such thing as a right to property values. Especially when it come at the cost of your neighbor's freedoms. Property values are and should always be secondary to freedom.

I say build the cell phone tower and make it 200 feet just to irritate these holier than thou Communists that feel they have ANY say in what someone else does with their property. Start the flame war because I am ready for all you PROGRESSIVES (cough cough).

I think there is a big difference between a suburban HOA issue and your issues with HOA's in general. As I stated earlier, I detest NIMBYISM in general.

We're talking about a well funded nationwide corporation planning to add a brutalist electronic device to our dowtown skyline with no attempt at remotely creating something they can be proud of.

Neon letters, a vintage "radio" tower design, a fiberglass church steeple, or mounting antennae to an existing building seem like reasonable ideas to integrate a meaningful device while establishing customer loyalty via the visible effort.

Now regarding Progressives, I consider myself one. I believe in tradittional Democratic ideals, particularly good Public Works in infrastructure.

I guess you want to lump all of us together and douse your fellow countrymen in gasoline. Thanks for that. We appreciate your hate. I am sure that my grandparents would be thrilled to know their difficult immigration to this country, their sacrifice in war, has borne a third generation of communists.

Get a grip dude. Subdue your hate.

Larry OKC
08-29-2011, 12:36 AM
Can someone answer this: aren't things like electrical substations, cell phone towers, "brutalist" architecture, graffiti inspired building exterior "art", overhead wires on streetcars, etc, part and parcel of what defines "urban"? Part of the urban experience is embracing the what some would consider the uglier side of City life?

Just the facts
08-29-2011, 06:29 AM
I for one don't mind streetcar wires (in fact - I prefer them as a visual reference), but most urban places don't have exposed electrical infrastructure unless it is in a 3rd world country. If an urban area is dense enough even a 125' cell tower would only be visible from a handful of location. Now having said that, it isn't really productive to fight the inevitable, the effort should be spent trying to make the inevitable better.

bombermwc
08-29-2011, 06:45 AM
OK, so I have to ask here, if you're going to 125', why not utilize the Fred Jones water tower? You can install the antenaes on the lower struts rather than the top face so it's doesnt detract from the historic view of the tower, but still provides the benefit of the thing. Or even better yet, there is a what 7 story office tower even closer to the proposed location that would serve it even better. Or how about this...you're near SOSA, so why not utilize St Anthony itself, it's already tall.

As said before, they would prefer to use the tower because it's cheaper and easier. It's up to us to help convince the city that cheaper isn't always better. The global crapfest known as AT&T can just pull a few pennies out of its own pocket for all I care.

Urban Pioneer
08-29-2011, 07:09 AM
Can someone answer this: aren't things like electrical substations, cell phone towers, "brutalist" architecture, graffiti inspired building exterior "art", overhead wires on streetcars, etc, part and parcel of what defines "urban"? Part of the urban experience is embracing the what some would consider the uglier side of City life?

Generally speaking, yes. Particularly when your talking about old "grit". But these "monopoles" have nothing going for them at all. In my opinion, there is nothing there to love in terms of their form.

I remember a big discussion on this forum about the old microwave horns on the old AT&T building downtown. Those don't offend me. They are interesting looking in a way and even then, in the 60's, AT&T had enough pride in it's work to try to cover them up and integrate them into the building, thus the period "harvest gold" metal latticework surrounding them.

There is no attempt to do anything here. Not even bushes at pedestrian level.

Urban Pioneer
08-29-2011, 07:15 AM
Now having said that, it isn't really productive to fight the inevitable, the effort should be spent trying to make the inevitable better.

Exactly. We need cell phone towers. They just need to invest a little more a build something that isn't so obtrusive or at least attempt to mount the antennae on an existing building. I'm sure Ok County would love the extra revenue if those were mounted on the roof of the jail, for example.

Larry OKC
08-29-2011, 08:51 AM
What is the diameter for a 125 foot pole? Guess I am just not seeing the huge difference between it and the various other poles we see every day, what makes it so objectionable. Any objections to even the modified co-use as a giant flagpole as someone posted?

Would think that cost would be mitigated somewhat if they built it on top of an existing structure. Are there optimum heights for cell phone towers? Can they be too tall (like on top of the new Devon Tower as an extreme example).

Again, I am not saying it can't be done in a better or more attractive/useful way at all. I am not advocating either way on it, am rather neutral as I think it is rather utilitarian.

Just the facts
08-29-2011, 09:07 AM
The problem Larry is that in their basic design they are ugly. They don't even have a good utilitarian/industrial look to them. A lot cities require them to resemble trees. Other require a more artisitc touch. The point is, go ahead and build the tower, just make it look nice. Why be junkie if you don't have to be?

http://www.alternativeconsumer.com/wp-content/uploads/Ross/ROSS_JUNE/towertube_1.jpg

http://www.commercialsilk.com/toolkit/photos/cell-phone-tower-tree2.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2d/Cell_Phone_Tower.jpg/399px-Cell_Phone_Tower.jpg

Larry OKC
08-29-2011, 09:56 AM
JTF: The giant tree is certainly interesting but I am sure some would find it just as objectionable LOL. I am sure there are those that would find the first one as "ugly" just as there are those that don't find the paint job that one building got (the Womb?) as particularly attractive either. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What about this is going to set development back? The "unattractive" part is 100 feet or so in the air. Out of most folks line of site. Unless you are talking about building a 12 story building right next to it and having to look out of your office or condo directly at it. On this it seems rather neutral, don't see it as helping or hurting the area. At least not in the sense of say that particular building. Some may love it and want to develop something just like it next door or hate it so much to avoid developing anywhere in the area. Or even the opposition to the Goodwill donation location. I can see that. I just don't see it with this and hard to get excited about it one way or another. Trying to understand why someone would get excited about it (either way).

Rover
08-29-2011, 10:02 AM
Why do people who go ballistic over HOAs move into areas that have them? They have to know they are there and choose to buy there anyway and then gripe about them. Can't be a very smart decision.

I would think cell phone or other tower erection would be subject to more scrutiny and restrictions these days with so many required and so many carriers. It sounds as if our restrictions need to be brought up to date.

anniemae
08-29-2011, 10:56 AM
Hmmmm, I remember when OKC was covered with 110 ft oil field derricks....if we noticed them at all we associated them with jobs, oil and progress. Personally I have no quarrel with cell towers, any more than water towers, large building towers, electrical transmission towers etc. What one person views as art I might well view as junk...it's all in the minds eye of the beholder, I admire technology on full display and view it as an industrial art in the truest sense. Someone posted a pic of an antenna disguised as a very, very tall tree, it was so much taller than the trees around it that it looked weird to me. Another pic was of "something" that begs identification....actually looked hideous to me, but some may call it art.

RadicalModerate
08-29-2011, 11:03 AM
I think that the (implied/subliminal) suggestion to make it look like an old-timey oil derrick is genius.
Not one of those old "There Will Be Blood" or "Col. Drake's" wooden derricks, but one of the more modern, 1950's-Style derricks.

On the other hand . . .
Maybe incorporating some of that red brick, vaguely Monopolyboardhotelesque, Chesapeake Village architecture might do the trick.

OKCTalker
08-29-2011, 12:49 PM
"125 foot cell phone tower is actually shorter than most that are 140 feet." I've got to write that down.

Seriously, wouldn't installation on the Saints tower or parking garage be a better alternative? I think that this could be done without interfering with the approach/departure corridors to/from their helipad.

RadicalModerate
08-29-2011, 12:54 PM
Sorry . . .
I'm laughing too hard to type.
(Well . . . almost too hard).

So: LOL.
(And that was a serious LOL rather than a sarcastic one.)

Urban Pioneer
08-29-2011, 03:52 PM
I think the oil derrick is a brilliant and probably reasonably cheap solution. Totally relevant to our history downtown. Heck, there is probably a capped well nearby. lol

But seriously also, there is a church by Saint Anthony's that could house the antennae in it's spire, there's the jail, the AMR building on Classen, and parking garages around.

I drove by Saint Anthony's today and there are already antennae mounted on their medical tower building by some other telecom outfit I guess.

bluedogok
08-29-2011, 08:35 PM
OK, so I have to ask here, if you're going to 125', why not utilize the Fred Jones water tower? You can install the antenaes on the lower struts rather than the top face so it's doesnt detract from the historic view of the tower, but still provides the benefit of the thing. Or even better yet, there is a what 7 story office tower even closer to the proposed location that would serve it even better. Or how about this...you're near SOSA, so why not utilize St Anthony itself, it's already tall.

As said before, they would prefer to use the tower because it's cheaper and easier. It's up to us to help convince the city that cheaper isn't always better. The global crapfest known as AT&T can just pull a few pennies out of its own pocket for all I care.
The Fred Jones location may not be in the optimal service ring area and you might also have part of the building blocking the desired service point. Also, is the future of that building in doubt since the OCU Law School backed out? Not that it is going to be torn down but what type of use. The owners may not be interested in a cell site lease agreement depending upon the type of use they are marketing it towards.

What is the diameter for a 125 foot pole? Guess I am just not seeing the huge difference between it and the various other poles we see every day, what makes it so objectionable. Any objections to even the modified co-use as a giant flagpole as someone posted?

Would think that cost would be mitigated somewhat if they built it on top of an existing structure. Are there optimum heights for cell phone towers? Can they be too tall (like on top of the new Devon Tower as an extreme example).

Again, I am not saying it can't be done in a better or more attractive/useful way at all. I am not advocating either way on it, am rather neutral as I think it is rather utilitarian.
The antennas are at a certain height to provide the desired service ring, the higher they are, the larger the service ring but you can create a dead zone right next to the antenna based on the tilt of the antennas. That is why most along rural interstates are much taller (250-400 feet tall) lattice towers. Lower call volumes allow for a larger service ring from a single array than the more crowded urban areas where call volume is greater, hence the need for more towers and lower arrays for a smaller service ring.

I have done the pine tree towers out in California along I-5 in the Sacramento area.

One other issue is if this an AT&T owned tower or a leased tower owned by another party like American Tower. If it is a lease arrangement then you would have a multiple antenna array situation like the last picture posted above. Most that I did seven years ago were adding to leased towers or AT&T selecting a location but contracting in a lease with American Tower to build the tower. That way you get first dibs on the elevation of your array.

CuatrodeMayo
08-29-2011, 09:09 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3513/4015230372_3fbae4068a_o.jpg

OKC@heart
08-29-2011, 11:21 PM
JUst my two cents but there are several issues here. Yes AT&T could invest some additional dollars and install a 125' flag pole that seems extremely out of proportion, and thus actually draws more attention to it. Monopole means that it is a galvanized steel pole that is self supporting. It has a slender profile and the coaxial cables run on the inside of the tower. The fact that it is 125' tall and its located position indicates that it is the closest and most ideal location that the company could get leased to work with in the RF engineers requirements or the system. Changes in height might instead require two tower sites in the area to provide the needed coverage. The cell towers are noticable for about a month to most people even those who live there and then they become a part of the background and rarely do folks notice them. The tower represents some significant income on a per month basis to the landowner who leased the property to AT&T. As far as zoning issues, go even if there are height restrictions, the company will seek a varience and will most likely get it. The FCC and the Federal Govt, mandated that the local municipalities are to cooperate with the Wireless telecom providers to allow for a more complete network to be used and to provide more complete e-911 service to areas as an alternate means of increasing saftey. There is actually legislation that mandates it and the Wireless companies can cite it if need be, and rarely is this needed. There typically has to be a compelling reason for a Wireless carrier to pony up the additional money for a "Stealth" installation, such as a historical district etc...and I have to tell you that other than the antennaes being mounted on or within church steeples or bell towers, the stealth solutions often are far worse than the standard tower.

Where the biggest difference can be made is how they treat the enclosure and the requirements for screening the equipment enclosure and fencing. I would hope that the installation is to the back of the property not easily visible from the street. I would also hope that the fencing is screened by a tall wooden and quality built privacy fence with specified landscaping planted to conceal the compound.

Please do not misunderstand I am not trying to say they are great and everyone should put one in their backyard. I just wanted to shed some light on some of the issues before you light the torches and head to the meeting. Having worked as a project manager for Sprint PCS responsible for building our the Network of towers in the Houston market, and then as a land acquisition agent responsible for leasing land for the construction of tower sites I have some fairly extensive experience with regards to the subject and what is possible. I use to make the presentation to the City Councils and Zoning Boards of Adjustment both in Texas and upstate New York on the wireless carriers behalf, answering the oppositions questions and presenting the plans and seeking the approvals.

The tower was going to go somewhere, and typically folks get worked up about the tower, but also complain that the coverage is not good enough...it is one of those situations where you can't have both, but you can compromise and try to improve the outcome and most carriers who are decent are willing to do extras to try and be a good neighbor. Would you have a similar reaction to a property owner putting up a 125' wind mill to generate electricity? Something to think about. Good luck in the meeting, and I hope that a workable and positive solution comes out of it so that it is good for the neigborhood and works for the carrier as they are trying to improve the service that they are providing to those in SOSA. One final thought, Wireless companies are under tremendous pressure ever since 9/11 to improve the completeness and capacity of the Cellular system to be able to better handle emergency loads, in times of natural disasters etc...this has been brought to even greater heights recently with Hurricane Irene and the capacity failures of the innundated system on the east coast. They will have a lot of leverage to apply in their favor becuase they can demonstrate that this is one of they ways that they can accomplish this is to add more towers and improve existing coverage.

Again just some thoughts, to consider...for what it is worth.

Urban Pioneer
08-30-2011, 07:58 AM
Great post!

shane453
09-06-2011, 10:13 AM
The people of Bozeman, MT are not too happy despite the pine-tree Verizon cell tower planned for the town.

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/news/city/article_5c86bb72-d686-11e0-9b1a-001cc4c002e0.html

BDP
09-06-2011, 10:41 AM
It's so awesome that there are so many people that wouldn't mind this stuff on their property easements. I'll let AT&T know public land adjacent to your properties is available for, well, for whatever they want to do, because who are we to tell anyone what to build? This will give us awesome coverage, too. Very community minded of you all!

White Peacock
09-09-2011, 08:22 AM
The proposal was rejected. Interestingly, AT&T states that over the last 18 months, traffic on their network in the OKC area is up 3000%.

Bunty
09-10-2011, 12:45 AM
Why don't they simply paint the cell towers sky blue to blend in better with the environment? Or is that totally out of order, because it would cost far too many thousands of dollars? And then the extra cost later to repaint when needed.

Thunder
09-10-2011, 01:03 AM
The proposal was rejected. Interestingly, AT&T states that over the last 18 months, traffic on their network in the OKC area is up 3000%.

Wow! Why would OKC be so stupid? Now the rest of the United States of America, including Seattle, will just laugh at Oklahoma City denying the people cell coverages.

No, I am not for AT&T. I am a Sprint boy. But still... OKC's action reflects extremely poor on image and reputation.

OKC@heart
09-10-2011, 07:35 AM
Why don't they simply paint the cell towers sky blue to blend in better with the environment? Or is that totally out of order, because it would cost far too many thousands of dollars? And then the extra cost later to repaint when needed.

There have been municipalities that forced the tower companies to paint the towers, but beyond the increased maintenance costs, which are substanital, the bigger issue is that the color of the sky changes from day to day and throughout the day. So what is selected rarely looks and blends in, and the result is that most days it sticks out even more, than it would if it was left with its galvanized from the factory look. The hot dipped galvanized towers while gray have a bit of reflectivity to them and so they actually blend very well.

Its kind of like when you are matching colors for an outfit, you better be right on or deliberately different shades, or it is more noticable that you attempted but missed it.

Urban Pioneer
09-12-2011, 05:21 PM
Wow. Just watched the Planning Commission meeting. They raked the AT&T guy through the coals on every site he presented. The other significantly protested site was in May Fair.

Urban Pioneer
09-12-2011, 06:29 PM
So... I left the video on while I was working.

The meeting went progressively worse for AT&T until the mood was so sour on the board that calls began to have a moratorium on all cell phone tower construction until the Planning Commission could have a joint meeting with telecommunication companies and potentially update the codes.

The commission was particularly upset that AT&T was looking for "postage stamp" parcels of "commercial" zones that were "accidentally" in housing areas. For example, a former elementary school that was closed and later became a mosque. Now the mosque has carried the "commercial" zone forward and wants the cell phone tower rent and AT&T successfully sought the site out in order to build a tower in the middle of an established neighborhood.

The meeting went on so long and so many people upset that AT&T sent a representative (that was not there initially) to speak at the end of the meeting to try to stave off the momentum for a moratorium.

End result, Planning Commission is showing signs of favoring a moratorium and they have turned industry heads in/during the meeting and I would expect a industry forum with the Planing Commission members very soon. Apparently one was held 10 years ago when the issue was first emerging. Now with the proliferation of I-Phone, I-Pads, and other internet bandwidth gobbling devices, they simply need more towers and the Planning Commission believes it is up to them to make sure that the rules are changed and designs standardized to meet the local sensitivity.

Pretty funny though seeing a AT&T rep speaking as a public citizen trying to defend the industry. What is that Mitt Romney Iowa line, "Corporations are people too!!!"

bluedogok
09-12-2011, 07:04 PM
The commission was particularly upset that AT&T was looking for "postage stamp" parcels of "commercial" zones that were "accidentally" in housing areas. For example, a former elementary school that was closed and later became a mosque. Now the mosque has carried the "commercial" zone forward and wants the cell phone tower rent and AT&T successfully sought the site out in order to build a tower in the middle of an established neighborhood.
Was that the Mayfair West site? Sounds like it was right by my old house.

OKC@heart
09-13-2011, 11:40 AM
Actually, I have to agree with Mitt on that one, as he is litteraly correct. A corporation is classed and given legal rights as an "artificial person". But even from a more broad perspective, they represent many in the comunity who work for them. In the case of the poor fellow who was tasked with presenting and defending AT&T's position, he probably was from the local area or city or state at least. They usually hire Site Acquisition reps from the areas they are looking to locate the towers in, so that they are more familiar with the locals and the issues. It is easy to laugh and point at the guy getting his hat handed to himm but far more difficult to provide constructive solutions that are reasonable as possibilities. If AT&T simply did not do their homework and there were other viable alternatives that they simply did not seek out then shame on them, and more shame on the Site Acquisition guy. That is just being lazy and they got what they deserved. Sometimes however, the best other alternatives get rejected by the land owners and the you fall into the NIMBY situation. At that point you have to have someone and if a postage stamp residential location at a mosque that was already carrying the Commercial Zoning opens up, that is a decent alternative. Was not there did not watch so can't cite specifics. Although the concerened citizens may have won round one. Hoisting aloft the threat of a moratorium, can get the local municipality sued, and the Wireless companies have the resources and internal counsel that is willing and able to do so. this is not their first rodeo and they have run this play many times in the past and the loser ends up being the municipality who can scaresly afford it and get the thing overturned and then are forces to work with the provider to locate acceptable sites for the system...As I stated previously this could result in several smaller towers throughout the area in order to mitigate the larger towers visual impact....so is three lower towers better than one tall one? It will be interesting to follow this one. Thanks for the update.

Urban Pioneer
09-13-2011, 05:15 PM
I doubt that a moratorium will occur although it was strongly discussed. However, the two site-reps that were there did a questionable job notifying the neighbors (Rob Elliot directly next to the 6th street tower spoke to this- not getting a letter or any notification while owning property next to it).

Then Brian Fitzsimmons spoke about how New View already has Sprint antennas on their building within the zone that AT& wants to place. They say they were not contacted even though they are willing to lease space. Also, the dog food plant was not contacted per people there.

AT&T seems to have picked only a handful of sites to contact and just made application to see how it would go it seems.

Our company has built several bell towers and steeples to hide antennas in cities with more stringent codes. I think that the Planning Commission clearly realized that they are behind the curve on exactly what the technology demands today, what standardized/universal solutions might be, and how to find common ground with the applicant companies.

urbanity
09-14-2011, 12:21 PM
Application denied

The OKC Planning Commission told AT&T that cellphone towers and neighborhoods do not mix.

http://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/article-12981-application-denied.html

BDP
09-14-2011, 01:01 PM
...as he is litteraly correct.

If he was literally correct, a corporation would actually be a person. Corporations are businesses with a specific tax designation which, I guess, as you say, are classified as an artificial person (whatever that is). Either way, the statement's real intent is to build sentiment for the transfer of the rights of individuals to businesses under a certain kind of tax designation. This way it can be legally justified for certain organizations to influence government disproportionately. This is why we do not have government of the people for the people, but government of and for "artificial people" called corporations.

At the end of the day AT&T can do this in a way that mitigates impact on the community without affecting their service. They just don't want to because it's harder.

Urban Pioneer
09-14-2011, 01:27 PM
They just don't want to because it's harder.

and it might cost more... Have to take the uncertainty away! They know for sure what a monopole costs. lol

Just the facts
09-15-2011, 06:57 AM
Application denied

The OKC Planning Commission told AT&T that cellphone towers and neighborhoods do not mix.

http://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/article-12981-application-denied.html

The solution is easy. Propose a retail center along the canal and build the cell tower on the roof of the retail center. Then say you need to build the cell tower first to generate cash-flow to make the retail center possible.

rcjunkie
09-15-2011, 06:00 PM
The solution is easy. Propose a retail center along the canal and build the cell tower on the roof of the retail center. Then say you need to build the cell tower first to generate cash-flow to make the retail center possible.

I own several properties in and around OKC, they can build a tower on one they choose, great way to supplement my income.

urbanity
09-21-2011, 12:55 PM
Commentary: Time-out for towers

http://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/article-13016-time-out-for-towers.html#sCommentN854