View Full Version : Question for local Christians.

HewenttoJared
08-27-2011, 10:45 PM
I'm asking for some understanding here. In all seriousness. I do not get this.

I occasionally work with the public. I get along quite well with almost anyone and have quite a few people I regularly talk to about whatever their passion is. One of the regulars was talking with me a few nights ago, like she has been off and on for months.

In the middle of a conversation about my new work position she gets an odd look on her face and says, "Are you a Christian?" I was pretty taken aback. It didn't fit our conversation at all and it was a much more personal question than either of us had any business asking. But it wasn't a huge deal.

I explained that I believed in the Bible, believed that Christ was who He said He was, and I told her the name of my actual religion. She said she had never heard of it, so I explained it briefly and told her where she could look up more info if she was curious.

She continued to say things like, "Well are you saved?" To which I said yes. And "Jesus is the only thing that matters", to which I said, "I know, we believe Jesus was who He said He was". So I started to explain briefly the exact station that we believe Christ to be. She interrupted me twice to say Jesus was God.

Then I had to go, for work stuff.

I don't get what the goal was. Once it was established that I knew about the Bible and had my own informed opinions about it how does just blurting out Jesusy-sounding talking points contribute to anything? She knew that I knew all about her religion(it's America, who doesn't). She knew that she didn't know much of anything about my religion. So why keep at it? Has that strategy of telling people things they've already heard ever worked in the history of anything? It felt pretty invasive to ask at all, but at some point aren't you just being rude?

Why does this happen? Is this something you're taught to do? Try to proselytize to people of a belief structure you've never studied who already know what you believe?

Larry OKC
08-27-2011, 11:20 PM
It is best to know where the other person is coming from in just about any discussion. That said, you now know more about where she is coming from. Even if one firmly believes that all members of a particular religion/denomination or whatever subdivision are "Going straight to Hell, do not pass Go, do not collect $200", it is best not to disclose that. It isn't likely to convince them of whatever error of their ways may/may not exist. Simply present what you believe and whatever support you have for that belief. Agree whenever you can with anyone and they are more likely to be open to at least thinking about another idea or viewpoint. As opposed to "No you are wrong. I am right" approach. Especially when discussing those subjects that we are often told to avoid...politics & religion.

Thunder
08-28-2011, 12:23 AM
She is one of those people that believe their religion is the only correct one. Its out of curiosity she wanted to know more about you and the concern she has that you are in the wrong religion. She also feel the need to correct you on this and that. Just another one of those people. I wouldn't worry about it. That is just normal.

Snowman
08-28-2011, 04:09 AM
I don't get what the goal was. Once it was established that I knew about the Bible and had my own informed opinions about it how does just blurting out Jesusy-sounding talking points contribute to anything? She knew that I knew all about her religion(it's America, who doesn't). She knew that she didn't know much of anything about my religion. So why keep at it? Has that strategy of telling people things they've already heard ever worked in the history of anything? It felt pretty invasive to ask at all, but at some point aren't you just being rude?

Why does this happen? Is this something you're taught to do? Try to proselytize to people of a belief structure you've never studied who already know what you believe?

It is very ineffective. All the cases I have run into goes directly back to which denomination they are in. It seems contrived to get members, it appears more often than I would expect since most biblical texts have Jesus repeatedly against procedural religious acts (the main difference in a lot of the denominations) getting in the way of compassion, love and faith. However, most of the members of the denominations that advocate what seems like a total conversion theory rarely do that except for a few people who persistently do so.

Martin
08-28-2011, 06:17 AM
i'm going to go out on a limb and say bahai. -M

Easy180
08-28-2011, 06:34 AM
Religion and politics are forbidden topics at work or in business appts as far as I'm concerned...Would have just let the lady know that I prefer not to discuss that with clients and move on

icemncmth
08-28-2011, 06:55 AM
Religion and politics are forbidden topics at work or in business appts as far as I'm concerned...Would have just let the lady know that I prefer not to discuss that with clients and move on

The "Masons" have it correct. Don't talk about religion and politics. Each are a belief and it is darn near impossible to change one's belief let alone that your's is better!