View Full Version : Fat Elvis Diner - Yukon

MadMonk
08-26-2011, 12:34 PM
Anyone tried this place before? I like going to little hole-in-the-wall places like this and I had my first experience there today at lunch. Not bad and pretty cheap. I had the King Burger ($3.49). It was very good with grilled onions. A 1/2 order of fries was enough for two. Everything was fresh and hot and the service was very attentive. On the less than stellar side, it seemed a little dirty in the place (but our table and seats were clean). I guess that's to be expected in places like this. I'll give it 3 out of 5 stars. If it were cleaner I'd bump it up to four stars.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/46/501375/restaurant/Oklahoma-City/Fat-Elvis-Diner-Yukon

metro
08-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Didn't this replace Sid's?

Bigrayok
08-26-2011, 02:24 PM
It is the same restaurant with the same owner. The owner of the Sid's Diner in El Reno who owns the name name forced the owner, Darren Thrasher, to stop using the Sid's Diner name after he was busted for selling drugs a couple of years ago. Darren got no jail time and is on probation. He is an Elvis impersonater so that is where the current name comes from.

I would agree with the review. I would probably give it two and a half stars out of five. Some of the booth seats are torn. They need to either replace the covers or put some duct tape on them. I like to go there once in a while and get a coney with slaw and an onion burger. I usually sit at the counter when I am there. Some do not like Darren because of his past drug problems, but I find him to be an interesting, colorful character.

Bigray in Ok

bluedogok
08-26-2011, 08:08 PM
The Best of Texas BBQ restaurant in Bandera, Texas is owned by an Elvis "tribute artist".

metro
08-27-2011, 07:39 AM
It is the same restaurant with the same owner. The owner of the Sid's Diner in El Reno who owns the name name forced the owner, Darren Thrasher, to stop using the Sid's Diner name after he was busted for selling drugs a couple of years ago. Darren got no jail time and is on probation. He is an Elvis impersonater so that is where the current name comes from.

I would agree with the review. I would probably give it two and a half stars out of five. Some of the booth seats are torn. They need to either replace the covers or put some duct tape on them. I like to go there once in a while and get a coney with slaw and an onion burger. I usually sit at the counter when I am there. Some do not like Darren because of his past drug problems, but I find him to be an interesting, colorful character.

Bigray in Ok

I've heard this as well. Heard he got busted for selling drugs for hiding them in his hamburgers.

kelly73099
08-31-2011, 09:13 AM
Several people I know in Yukon don't go in there because of his role in what happened to his daughter.

The Death of Bailey Thrasher (http://bubbaworld.com/2007/09/03/the-death-of-bailey-thrasher)

Fatmanblues
06-27-2012, 12:53 PM
Hi all,
I'm in England but have been to OK so many times on vacation that I consider myself an honorary Okie :)
Anyway, on one visit we drove past the Fat Elvis Diner and stopped just to take a picture of the cool sign (well its cool if you're English ). Didn't eat there, so nothing to report really, except that the name caught my imagination and when later I had an idea for a short story about an Englishman who came to OK and fell in love, I had to include the Fat Elvis Diner!

My story, entitled 'Evel Knievel and the Fat Elvis Diner' is available on Amazon:http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00874B97O/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

If you buy it (only $0.99 folks) that's great, if you don't, that's great too! :)
Just wanted to say thank you all (or should that be y'all?) for being the friendliest Americans in...well...America! :)
Take care and talk again soon.

Bigrayok
07-02-2012, 02:51 PM
I have been going to Sid's and what is now Fat Elvis Diner for years. I like the onion burgers and the coneys with slaw. I recently tried the french toast for breaksfast. It is the best french toast I have ever eaten. I will be the first to admit the place is kind of a dump and has a checkered history but I believe in redemption and admire Daren Thrasher for not giving up and keeping the place going. I also think it is an interesting part of Route 66 folklore and picture taking.

Bigray in Ok

Hi all,
I'm in England but have been to OK so many times on vacation that I consider myself an honorary Okie :)
Anyway, on one visit we drove past the Fat Elvis Diner and stopped just to take a picture of the cool sign (well its cool if you're English ). Didn't eat there, so nothing to report really, except that the name caught my imagination and when later I had an idea for a short story about an Englishman who came to OK and fell in love, I had to include the Fat Elvis Diner!

My story, entitled 'Evel Knievel and the Fat Elvis Diner' is available on Amazon:http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00874B97O/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

If you buy it (only $0.99 folks) that's great, if you don't, that's great too! :)
Just wanted to say thank you all (or should that be y'all?) for being the friendliest Americans in...well...America! :)
Take care and talk again soon.

ctchandler
07-03-2012, 10:36 AM
Hi all,

Fatmanblues,
Where in England? I've spent a considerable time there and my friend that I stay with/travel with lives in Carshalton, a London suburb. It's about fifteen miles South West of London. I will have to make it a point to go to Fat Elvis and give you my opinion.
C. T.