View Full Version : PetsMart Dog abuse not isolated case

SoonerQueen
08-23-2011, 09:59 PM
http://www.news9.com/story/15320168/apparent-petsmart-dog-abuse-not-isolated-incident

Thunder
08-23-2011, 10:05 PM
Class action lawsuit is to come. Stay tuned!

PetSmart - The place where dogs are abused!

SoonerQueen
08-23-2011, 10:26 PM
We used to take our Halo there to get her nails clipped, but no more.

BBatesokc
08-24-2011, 04:59 AM
Had a close relative that had a horrible experience at Pets Mart in the past. We were all over at their house and they had dropped their large dog off to be groomed. When they brought him home we noticed he was acting odd and that a bandana had been tied tightly around his neck. Thinking that was the issue we removed it. Immediately blood start flowing from where the bandana was tied. A closer look showed a large puncture wound in the neck. They rushed him back to Pets Mart because they also have a vet clinic. They stitched him up but offered no explanation. I'd never take my dogs there.

Jesseda
08-24-2011, 07:37 AM
I am not trying to promote a business, but I love my pets like they are my kids, we take ours to fluffy puppy in moore off broadway, they treat the pets like pampered clients, the owner loves dogs and it shows!!

MsDarkstar
08-24-2011, 08:23 AM
I'm glad you've had good luck @ Fluffy Puppy Jesseda; my experience with them was bad enough that I wouldn't give them a second chance. I took my dogs there for a grooming & when I picked them up, my girl was bleeding in several places. They'd clipped her (even though she's a breed that doesn't need or require clipping) and somehow got the skin, it was like they took a guard off the clippers & pushed it into her chest. She looked like she'd gotten hit with a weed eater.

td25er
08-24-2011, 08:33 AM
Nothing but wonderful experiences at Petsmart (banfield and salon) in my family. Includes 8 dogs between parents/sister/wife and I . This includes numerous surgeries.

Jesseda
08-24-2011, 09:46 AM
I'm glad you've had good luck @ Fluffy Puppy Jesseda; my experience with them was bad enough that I wouldn't give them a second chance. I took my dogs there for a grooming & when I picked them up, my girl was bleeding in several places. They'd clipped her (even though she's a breed that doesn't need or require clipping) and somehow got the skin, it was like they took a guard off the clippers & pushed it into her chest. She looked like she'd gotten hit with a weed eater.

ouch, wow, my dogs are boston terriers and they go their to get the bath and nails clipped. my mom takes her pom to this place off eastern between 12th and main street i think its called k9 corral, its by hair we are salon on the east side, my mom has taken her pom their for years and she seems to like it

FritterGirl
08-24-2011, 11:44 AM
This is tragic and sounds like since there were multiple occurrences, it definitely needs to be investigated.

We take our three to the PetSmart at Penn and Memorial for nail trims. We're ALWAYS with them when they go back, and at times have had to help hold them when they get wiggly. I can't say my dogs "enjoy" the experience, but they tolerate it well. It is certainly more convenient than it is to go to another groomer's for a simple nail trim or grind. We bathe and groom the girls at home.

I would be devastated if any of my pets were to be injured while in the care of a groomer. It makes me curious about the level of training the PetSmart groomers actually have.

MustangGT
08-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Folks take your beloved critters to a vet based groomer or a vet recommended groomer please.

Roadhawg
08-24-2011, 12:53 PM
Folks take your beloved critters to a vet based groomer or a vet recommended groomer please.

I agree

Bill Robertson
08-24-2011, 01:06 PM
Folks take your beloved critters to a vet based groomer or a vet recommended groomer please.I do too! Our groomer is part of our vet's office. I would trust everyone in the office with my life.

On to the OP. Many years ago I took the two dogs I had at the time to the PetsMart on 63rd & May for vet and grooming. One day I was walking by the grooming window and a groomer was having a problem with a rather feisty Yorkie. The groomer backhanded the pooch across the snout. I never took my dogs there again and seldom do business with PetsMart at all. I have a temper myself but come on, if you're going to treat a dog like that in front of a window what would you do in the back room?

Jon27
08-24-2011, 09:07 PM
We use A Touch of Class in Yukon. They are awesome!!!

mugofbeer
08-24-2011, 09:17 PM
OK folks. Reason up, now. Any business - ANY business - is only as good as the employees working at the business. The problem is that there may be some employee(s) working at this store that should not be working with pets. It sounds like management of the department and even of the store isn't doing a good job of monitoring. It's too bad it was done as a sensationalism piece rather than trying to work with store management to catch whoever did the abuse - perhaps by hidden camera. I guaranty you that PetsMart doesn't and wouldn't condone of this activity. Why would a store promote abuse? They are in the business of making money and clearly, this type of thing would not attract business.

Thunder
08-24-2011, 09:46 PM

Extremely bad advice in this case. Careful what you wish for.

PetSmart (although they messed up at the creation of this name when it should have been PetsMart) and PETCO both have veterinarian clinic in most stores. MustangGT, your advice can easily apply to a vet in a PetSmart store to recommend the grooming department of the same store. Now what? lol