View Full Version : OKC on 10 Best Places to Live list

earlywinegareth
08-22-2011, 09:47 AM
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-10-best-places-to-live-in-the-us-2011-08-02?link=MW_story_popular

Personally, I can take the heat better than the cold, so you can cross out Grand Rapids, Boulder, Boise, and Omaha..

Pete
08-22-2011, 09:53 AM
OKC has been making lots of lists lately but I believe this may be the first time it's made the top 10 in any sort best places to live ranking.

I know these lists can be rather silly but it does show that outside perception is really changing, and that's a great thing.

ljbab728
08-22-2011, 09:27 PM
I found it interesting that they said one of the considerations in OKC's favor was the renovation of convention sites. Maybe they consider the ground clearing for the new convention center site to be a renovation?

Bunty
08-23-2011, 01:16 AM
OKC has been making lots of lists lately but I believe this may be the first time it's made the top 10 in any sort best places to live ranking.

I know these lists can be rather silly but it does show that outside perception is really changing, and that's a great thing.

Unless I missed it, not one of the comments had any praise for Oklahoma City, only hate. At least Dallas didn't get any big praise to speak of, either.

kevinpate
08-23-2011, 07:42 AM
I found it interesting that they said one of the considerations in OKC's favor was the renovation of convention sites. Maybe they consider the ground clearing for the new convention center site to be a renovation?

The Cox has been renovated, as has the Arena, and a new cc is a hair or two beyond the it's time to do it phase. Doesn't seem all that odd to me.

redrunner
08-23-2011, 07:48 AM
This was pulled from Relocate America's top 100 places to live. Here's a link to the full list. http://www.relocateamerica.com/top-100-cities/

ljbab728
08-23-2011, 09:54 PM
The Cox has been renovated, as has the Arena, and a new cc is a hair or two beyond the it's time to do it phase. Doesn't seem all that odd to me.

The minor renovations at the Cox are hardly worthy of a top ten consideration given all of the competition from other venues. The arena isn't being renovated for conventions. If they used that for justifying our ranking they didn't really do much homework.

BrendaT
09-08-2011, 10:37 AM
That's a pretty good list to be on. I really like Austin and Boulder and I've lived in the Raleigh area. I've never really spent much time in Augusta, Georgia but really like to visit Savannah. I think these lists are good for tourism as well as for attracting businesses and recent graduates.

bretthexum
09-09-2011, 08:27 AM
Omaha is one of the most under-rated city in the nation. Anyone who hasn't been there should make a point to visit. I think OKC could learn a few things from Omaha

betts
09-09-2011, 08:51 AM
Omaha's Old Market beats Bricktown hands down, especially in terms of the retail offerings and restaurants. Omaha currently has better shopping, as they have better demographics, but the stores aren't all easy to find. They have some cool housing, but it feels like their interesting elements are scattered and the downtown isn't cohesive enough. Plus they don't have the Thunder. I'll take Oklahoma City, but I agree that there are some things we can learn from them.

NazzerDawk
09-12-2011, 06:01 PM
This is one of the reasons that if I were offered a mildly better paying job in another state, I'd stay put.

Just the facts
09-15-2011, 07:46 AM
I was at the pool the other day talking with a woman and the subject of moving came up. Out of the blue she mentioned how she had seen Oklahoma City at the top of a lot of Best Places list. She was pleasently surprised when I told her I used to live there and loved it. Naturally she had a lot of questions so it was good that I had a lot of answers.

ljbab728
09-28-2011, 11:56 PM
Another good argument for OKC to be on this list.

http://newsok.com/jobless-rate-falls-across-state-as-oklahoma-city-continues-to-lead-nations-large-cities/article/3608633?custom_click=headlines_widget

MDot
09-29-2011, 12:00 AM
We got even lower? God must really like us.