View Full Version : cardio excercise equipment

Martin
08-22-2011, 08:24 AM
alright okctalk, i need your help!

i need a new cardio machine. i'm deciding between a recumbent bike and an elliptical. which one is better or is there a better choice? any preference on models/brands?

i've owned a stair machine for almost 20 years and recently the electronics have gone out. perhaps it's a bit quirky of me, but i need to keep track of my time/performance in order to stay motivated so the machine i've got is useless to me now.

any help is appreciated! -M

flintysooner
08-22-2011, 08:52 AM
I bought a Precor elliptical more than 6 years ago and have used it nearly every day since. I'd definitely buy the same machine again.

BBatesokc
08-22-2011, 06:24 PM
Really comes down to personal choice. Some people love exercise bikes - but I personally cannot stand them. I also find I have to pedal way to fast to get a decent heart rate to burn calories.

I prefer ellipticals at home. At the Y I do the Stairmaster. Would get one at home but my ceilings are not tall enough. We bought our elliptical at Sam's fro a good price when they clearanced them. It was about 50% off and we bought an extended warranty - and they based the warranty price on the discounted price we paid for the unit.

My best investment for the wife and I were Polar FT60 heart monitor watches. It keeps a very accurate accounting of your heart rate, zones and calorie burn. Even sets you up on a personalized weight loss plan. I found out very quickly that the machines calories counter is a joke and is always way off.

Also, by keeping an eye on your heart rate you can make more efficient use of your workout time.

MadMonk
08-23-2011, 05:48 AM
I've had both and prefer the elliptical. Due to space issues, we have a compact model of NordicTrack - more wide than long - that has served us well for the last three years or so. I agree that the built-in monitors aren't that great though.

BBatesokc
08-23-2011, 05:55 AM
As for places to purchase;

As I said before, we bought out of season from Sam's at clearance. I prefer their prices, low warranty cost and liberal return policy.

I've also seen good clearance prices at Sears.

Craigslist can be a really good source if the equipment is newer and was bought and simply wasn't used much so they are getting rid of it. Make sure and Google the model for reviews and to get an idea how old it really is and how well it holds up.

I've tried used equipment places, but the few I've been in had ridiculous prices. In some cases their price was higher than new or within 20% and had no warranty.

In addition to a machine (and a possible heart monitor you wear) I would highly recommend putting it in an area with a TV! Without being able to watch TV or my iPad I wouldn't work out at all on a machine (too boring).

Bill Robertson
08-23-2011, 06:37 AM
I would also vote for an elliptical. As an avid cyclist I find that on a stationary bike of any kind or a treadmill I can't get the heart rate I hit out on the road. On an elliptical I usually can.

BBatesokc
08-23-2011, 06:42 AM
I also prefer an elliptical with arm motion. I find my heartbeat goes up another 10-15% with arm motion.

Martin
08-23-2011, 06:45 AM
thanks, everyone! i think i'll go with an elliptical. here's the one i'm looking at (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TNLU72/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER). will probably shop around locally to see if i can get a better deal. precor units look really solid and i've heard good things about them but i don't think i want to plop down several grand on a machine.

bbates... great idea regarding the ipad. i was trying to figure out a way to get this thing behind a tv without having to buy a new one and wire it up. bet i can find a way to stream video wirelessly to the ipad from my main pc.

-M

flintysooner
08-23-2011, 06:46 AM
You become accustomed to whatever you use. I alternate with a treadmill and at one time did some running outside. But if I only had one choice it would be my elliptical.

There are differences in machines. I've had plenty experience with bad ones and I think they can actually hurt an exercise program. Also my elliptical doesn't have the handles but does have an incline which I prefer.

Go to Push-Pedal-Pull or Lifestyle Fitness Equipment and try out a few machines so you can get a feel for them. Usually they have machines at various price points.

There's a new machine I noticed a while back at Lifestyle that is a little smaller that seemed well made. I don't remember the name of it but it was kind of a cross between an elliptical, stair machine, and treadmill.

I have a friend who bought a Precor machine from ebay and was pretty happy with the transaction.

BBatesokc
08-23-2011, 07:00 AM
thanks, everyone! i think i'll go with an elliptical. here's the one i'm looking at (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TNLU72/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER). will probably shop around locally to see if i can get a better deal. precor units look really solid and i've heard good things about them but i don't think i want to plop down several grand on a machine.

bbates... great idea regarding the ipad. i was trying to figure out a way to get this thing behind a tv without having to buy a new one and wire it up. bet i can find a way to stream video wirelessly to the ipad from my main pc.

-M

Funny, that's essentially the exact same one we bought at Sam's. We actually bought three and our neighbors and friends bought ones also. The Sam's online store had them clearanced at about $220, even though in the stores they were not marked down nearly that low. We did 'click and pull' and the stores had to honor the prices. Sold the two extras on Craigslist and more than paid for the one we kept.

Has stationary arms as well as motion arms, fans, cup holder, and a place for magazines/book or even an ipad. Plus it has an audio jack with speaker for the iPad or iPod.

If you get it, be sure and buy a tube of white grease and use it on ALL the screws during installation. Really reduces noise.