View Full Version : Bricktown Marketing on a regional Front.

jenncole
03-31-2005, 08:33 PM
I think that we need to find a way to get Bricktown marketed on a regional....front (then after a few years.. focus on a national front) . I mean.. alot of us local people know what Bricktown has to offer.. but.. I think we should be at least known in the region.. for having Bricktown.

Since working on a national front will still take some time.. we could at least work on marketing bricktown... on a more regional level rather than a local level.

That http://www.bricktownokc.com/.. site seems to be hardly ever updated.

Am I right, or should I just shut the hell up?? lol

Patrick
03-31-2005, 10:32 PM

You're absolutely correct!

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-01-2005, 11:30 PM
I stopped going there...

Midtowner
04-02-2005, 08:15 AM
I think that we need to find a way to get Bricktown marketed on a regional....front (then after a few years.. focus on a national front) . I mean.. alot of us local people know what Bricktown has to offer.. but.. I think we should be at least known in the region.. for having Bricktown.

Since working on a national front will still take some time.. we could at least work on marketing bricktown... on a more regional level rather than a local level.

That http://www.bricktownokc.com/.. site seems to be hardly ever updated.

I'm not sure that we're ready for that yet. Bricktown needs a few more entertainment venues in my opinion (you know, something besides baseball and movies). I'd like to see a comedy club, or if possible, a Second City type venue would be really great; maybe an upscale bowling alley; maybea bookstore; a few more hotels (including the Skirvin); and retail -- including a convenience/souvenir store go in there before we talk about national/regional publicity.

My concern is that if we started marketing now, we would not be marketing a 'finished product'. I would be concerned that people would visit Bricktown and walk away disappointed.

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-02-2005, 09:30 AM
Or they would look at all the construction cranes and think, "Eh... we'll try again in 10 years."

floater
04-02-2005, 10:54 AM
I'm not sure that we're ready for that yet. Bricktown needs a few more entertainment venues in my opinion (you know, something besides baseball and movies). I'd like to see a comedy club, or if possible, a Second City type venue would be really great; maybe an upscale bowling alley; maybea bookstore; a few more hotels (including the Skirvin); and retail -- including a convenience/souvenir store go in there before we talk about national/regional publicity.

My concern is that if we started marketing now, we would not be marketing a 'finished product'. I would be concerned that people would visit Bricktown and walk away disappointed.

To a certain level, I agree. I'd like to see a hard push in 2007 when most of the land run figures are in place. Hopefully, another major entertainment tenant will solidify Bricktown's portfolio by then. Those suggestions, if done well, would do the job on top of the additional retail and hotels.

And I would absolutely LOVE a Second City venue. Trouble is, SC relies on spontaneous everyday traffic to survive. That's hard to do you run essentially the same show for three months. I think a Bricktown SC would have to offer more audience participation games to maintain steady traffic. But then again, OKC already has "Everybody and Their Dog", an amateur group. If the players were pros or very skilled amateurs and had their own slick venue (with tables and food/alcohol service), that would be pretty cool.

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-02-2005, 11:08 AM
Where is Second City?

Anyway, I think a Barnes & Noble, or a second Full Circle Bookstore would be nice in bricktown.

floater
04-02-2005, 11:34 AM
Second City is a great comedy troupe based in Chicago (but with branches in Toronto and others) that focuses on sketch comedy and improvisation. It's basically like Saturday Night Live, and has fed SNL a lot of its stars. Dan Akroyd, Gilda Radner, Chris Farley, Tina Fey, Rachel Dratch, Mike Myers, etc came from there. They did a show in OKC a few years back and I believe are coming or just recently had a show there too.

Downtown OKC actually has its own in the Skyline Theater in the Arts District, but its comedy is "cleaner" than you'll find at SC or SNL, which try to push the boundaries of taste and social/political comment.

BricktownGuy
04-04-2005, 01:11 PM
We need to get more things in Bricktown before we will attract alot of people here from other cities.

Patrick
04-05-2005, 02:20 AM
Regardless of where Bricktown is at, that's no excuse for the Bricktown website not to be updated. Having a website that's always out of date is worse than not having one at all.

Midtowner
04-05-2005, 06:48 AM
Regardless of where Bricktown is at, that's no excuse for the Bricktown website not to be updated. Having a website that's always out of date is worse than not having one at all.

Word.

Karried
04-05-2005, 08:00 AM
okccvb@okccvb.org (okccvb@okccvb.org)

I believe we should get more involved :bright_id (okccvb@okccvb.org)

Email to the above and let them know we would appreciate more updating of the site...

Also, invite them to come here and visit our forum - they would probably like to be invited and hear citizen's concerns.

Patrick
04-06-2005, 12:30 AM
okccvb@okccvb.org (okccvb@okccvb.org)

I believe we should get more involved :bright_id (okccvb@okccvb.org)

Email to the above and let them know we would appreciate more updating of the site...

Also, invite them to come here and visit our forum - they would probably like to be invited and hear citizen's concerns.

The CVB really doesn't have any say over that site. Bricktownokc.com is Jim Brewer's baby. Like everything else here lately, he's been getting lazy. Just look at his properties on the canal. While other developers have gutted their buildings, many of Brewers are still vacant and run down. One only need to compare the Oklahoma Hardware building not owned by Brewer) to Brewer's Building just east of Oklahoma Avenue, across from Oklahoma Hardware.

Patrick
04-06-2005, 12:32 AM
Just to show you how up to date Brewer is on his site, here's the latest news article he has listed: http://www.bricktownokc.com/press/pr76.html

Give me a break!

And their website still has Hogan listed as TMK Hogan. Give me a break..Torchmark Development Corp., a susidiary of Torchmark Corp, became Stonegate a long time ago!

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-06-2005, 04:01 PM
Hmmn... since I have completely abandoned my blog idea, I might be willing to put up a website for that. I was going to start up a New Orleans urban forum (there isn't one) but this seems as promising.

HOT ROD
04-06-2005, 06:59 PM
That would be great. Something that would expand upon Bricktown.com and OKClive.com, each with good points but both seriously outdated.

Bricktown.com has good tenant info (although it is never complete or up to date) but it doesnt really say what the tenants are or do or provide.

OKClive.com has a club section where they break out the clubs in bricktown as far as the scene, cost, why you would go there, ect. But this hasn t been updated in years.

If we could have a site that would take the best of both, listing all tenants of the district (not just the ones who are members of the Brick Assn) and detail what is there/why you would go/cost/hours; this would be excellent.

Im surprised DowntownOKC has not taken the lead on this for the whole of Downtown. This is badly needed and IMO a much needed change is due for visitokc.com. Their description of oKC is not only inaccurate but it also portrays OKC as a small hick town.

Copy Chicago's format or Vancouver's or somebody with successful tourism/business/convention draw. Talk like the people we want to attract, not the people who have lived here in the past. Then people will have a better impression of the city and would line up to come here, IMO.

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-06-2005, 08:54 PM
I don't go to small privately owned tourist sites. They are all written by morons.

Midtowner
04-07-2005, 02:15 PM
One of the better sites describing OKC can be found on the OCU Law School's admissions site.

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-07-2005, 07:58 PM
I have no comment.

Actually I do. I would have expected better.