View Full Version : OKC utility rates to go up?

Larry OKC
08-20-2011, 01:37 AM
http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-council-asked-for-small-utility-rate-increase/article/3596065?custom_click=headlines_widget

Department spokeswoman Debbie Ragan cited rising fuel costs and switchover to greener vehicles, along with a general increase in consumer prices affecting the department, as reasons for the proposed rate change.
Thoughts?

MustangGT
08-20-2011, 08:44 AM
But I thought green was cheaper, hmmmm.......

betts
08-20-2011, 08:52 AM
If they're switching to CNG vehicles, it's the conversion that costs, not necessarily the fuel. Maybe Aubrey needs a new interest: manufacturing vehicles that run on CNG with no conversion needed.

Thunder
08-20-2011, 09:05 AM
They decided to switch on their own decision that did not force them to do so. That should not cause our rates to go up. This is fraud and people need to stand up to them.

Snowman
08-20-2011, 09:38 AM
Since they are suppose to pay for the extra costs half way through the life cycle, they will surely be able to compensate with interest when the savings are realized </sarcasm>

Larry OKC
08-20-2011, 03:03 PM
The article wasn't clear if they are converting existing vehicles (which IS expensive) or just replacing the vehicles when their time comes with CNG ones (also more expensive but not as much). In any case, the fuel savings should mitigate it either way, right? Also, price of gas is going down (but of course no guarantee it will remain that way), the paper had a story on it in the same edition.

I would think such things as conversions or replacement would already be funded through things like the general obligation bond program. If that is the case, they already have the funding for it. Right?

Snowman
08-20-2011, 04:56 PM
The article wasn't clear if they are converting existing vehicles (which IS expensive) or just replacing the vehicles when their time comes with CNG ones (also more expensive but not as much). In any case, the fuel savings should mitigate it either way, right? Also, price of gas is going down (but of course no guarantee it will remain that way), the paper had a story on it in the same edition.

I would think such things as conversions or replacement would already be funded through things like the general obligation bond program. If that is the case, they already have the funding for it. Right?

Given how much they are used the live cycle of the trucks is very short due to wear on the frame, like five years, they are planing to shift new vehicle purchases to CNG. They cost more upfront but from what they said it balances out halfway at current fuel prices with the pilot program, the question probably is can the acquire enough to maintain service until they start having tangible savings to apply to later replacements.

bluedogok
08-20-2011, 08:55 PM
They're going to go up because they can.....that is pretty much what the City of Austin has told us down here and they are an electricity provider as well. Since were have a municipal owned utility" it was excluded from the energy choice legislation here in Texas. So we have no other options.

Larry OKC
08-20-2011, 09:58 PM
Given how much they are used the live cycle of the trucks is very short due to wear on the frame, like five years, they are planing to shift new vehicle purchases to CNG. They cost more upfront but from what they said it balances out halfway at current fuel prices with the pilot program, the question probably is can the acquire enough to maintain service until they start having tangible savings to apply to later replacements.
i see what you are saying, if that is the case and these gradual rate increases over the next few years are just to cover the cost before the savings kick in, how likely do you think it will be that we see a rate cut as a result. Or will it be like when they raised the various fines during a previous "tight" budget year, when the revenue rebounded they kept the higher fines in place. The justification then (and it was mentioned in this article) that even with the increases we are paying comparable to other cities our size. Once the government (local, state, fed) gets their hand in your pocket, it is dang difficult to get it back out again.

Then again, aren't expenditures like this already funded through bond issues etc?

EMSAneedschange
08-23-2011, 07:19 AM
i thought going greener saved money?

Larry OKC
08-23-2011, 09:14 PM
When they say "greener" it don't necessarily mean the green in your wallet. LOL

rcjunkie
08-24-2011, 07:52 PM

then your thinking wrong, the purpose of going green is to save the environment, not money

HewenttoJared
08-29-2011, 10:11 AM

It depends on how you go greener and at what time scale you're trying to save money.

HewenttoJared
08-29-2011, 10:12 AM
then your thinking wrong, the purpose of going green is to save the environment, not money

Not so much.

bombermwc
08-31-2011, 06:34 AM
Going green usually isn't cheaper in the front end...it's long termin investment that ends up saving money. But you're helping the environment as well. You have to wait for the return on the investment, and most people can't afford that (like installing solar panels....10-15 years on that ROI).

BrendaT
09-08-2011, 10:27 AM
I looked into installing solar panels on my house and it is quite an investment up front. I know of some friends who have solar power that is connected to the grid. As a result on really sunny days, their meter actually goes backwards which is pretty cool.