View Full Version : The Pope

mranderson
03-31-2005, 03:53 PM
I would like your thoughts. Do you think the Pope should retire? Do you think he will survive much longer? What do you think of this Pope?

Personally, I have always like John Paul II. I am not a Catholic, but have a great respect for the religion. I think he has brought an era of moderness into the Pontiff.

I do not rhink he should retire, as the Pope is a lifetime appointment. A major commitment, regardless of health.

I am saddened to say, I think we will lose this shining spirit this year.

Keith
03-31-2005, 05:08 PM
I would like your thoughts. Do you think the Pope should retire? Do you think he will survive much longer? What do you think of this Pope?

Personally, I have always like John Paul II. I am not a Catholic, but have a great respect for the religion. I think he has brought an era of moderness into the Pontiff.

I do not rhink he should retire, as the Pope is a lifetime appointment. A major commitment, regardless of health.

The news just reported that last rites were just given to the Pope. It seems he has a very high fever, and they don't expect him to last much longer.

Midtowner
03-31-2005, 05:17 PM

I don't really think he's responsible for the "era of moderness" that you're talking about. Pope John XXIII (in the 60's) was more responsible for that. Pope John Paul II has been a very conservative voice within the church. By conservative, I mean resistant to change. He has essentially kept the church looking the same way it did when he first began his papacy. Honestly, I'm hopeful that there are a few changes made by the next Pope, but I am not hoping for another John XXIII.

windowphobe
03-31-2005, 07:10 PM
He's had the Last Rites once before; this isn't necessarily the beginning of the end. On the other hand, his condition is clearly not good, and it's not really improving. The College of Cardinals, by tradition, won't even think about a replacement until he's gone.

mranderson
04-02-2005, 01:01 PM
You may have heard before you read this. However, At aproximatly 1:55 PM, today, April 2, 2005, official word was released by the Vatican, that His Holiness, Pope John Paul II, has expired. He was 84.

Pope Jon Paul II (Karol Watijwa [sp]) 1920-2005

May the Lord bless him and keep him in his loving arms.

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-02-2005, 04:35 PM
Well... John Paul is dead. But I like to think retired is a better word. He is off in a better place.

Karried
04-02-2005, 04:56 PM
I just hope the next pope advocates birth control - because of 'religion' there are too many women having babies they can't feed.

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-02-2005, 05:28 PM
There is adoption.