View Full Version : Old People Hogging Jobs!

Pages : [1] 2

G.Walker
08-17-2011, 08:14 AM
I might ruffle some feathers with this post:

There are too many people from the baby boom generation holding entry-level jobs. Is it just me or do other people notice that when you go to the dentist/doctor office, insurance company, etc...that entry-level jobs are vastly being manned by people over their 50's even 60's?

I mean seriously, you're 50 years old and still a secretary!? It seems to me that many entry-level positions at companies are being held by this generation, and not making way or job opportunities for the younger work force. A lot of jobs that are currently held by this generation can easily be held by young adults fresh out of college looking for work.

For example, at my present employer University of Oklahoma, my supervisor is over 60 years old, which that is not the problem. The problem is that he worked for for DHS for 20 years and is retired from DHS. But decided that he wanted more money, and realized if he worked for OU for 5 years, they will retire him to. He also brought another man with him who retired from DHS, and his working here just until his 5th year so OU can retire him, and he can earn and extra monthly paycheck. This stuff is absurd when you have young professionals fresh out of college looking for work but their opportunities are limited because some people just want to be greedy? I am sure this situation is not unique to my employer, but is common across the metro and state.

Could this be the true indicator how strong Oklahoma' economy really is? So strong that people in their 50's and 60's have to join back into the work force to make extra money just to make ends meet?

MsProudSooner
08-17-2011, 08:21 AM
I might ruffle some feathers with this post:

There are too many people from the baby boom generation holding entry-level jobs. Is it just me or do other people notice that when you go to the dentist/doctor office, insurance company, etc...that entry-level jobs are vastly being manned by people over their 50's even 60's?

I mean seriously, you're 50 years old and still a secretary!? It seems to me that many entry-level positions at companies are being held by this generation, and not making way or job opportunities for the younger work force. A lot of jobs that are currently held by this generation can easily be held by young adults fresh out of college looking for work.

For example, at my present employer University of Oklahoma, my supervisor is over 60 years old, which that is not the problem. The problem is that he worked for for DHS for 20 years and is retired from DHS. But decided that he wanted more money, and realized if he worked for OU for 5 years, they will retire him to. He also brought another man with him who retired from DHS, and his working here just until his 5th year so OU can retire him, and he can earn and extra monthly paycheck. This stuff is absurd when you have young professionals fresh out of college looking for work but their opportunities are limited because some people just want to be greedy? I am sure this situation is not unique to my employer, but is common across the metro and state.

Could this be the true indicator how strong Oklahoma' economy really is? So strong that people in their 50's and 60's have to join back into the work force to make extra money just to make ends meet?

Every time I see someone over 50 in an entry level job, I automatically think they were probably laid off from another job and entry level is all they can get. For every person over 50 in an entry level job, there are 10 who are unemployed because coroporations automatically put applications from those who currently unemployed in File 13.

Pete
08-17-2011, 08:25 AM
Nobody at any age wants to stay in an entry-level job.

And hanging on to receive retirement benefits is very wise with people living longer and rising health care costs. Very few people have the opportunity to get pensions and/or extended benefits these days and it's extremely valuable.

Jesseda
08-17-2011, 08:26 AM
damn those old people loosing all they had or not able to afford to retire because of several different messed up reasons this nation has done to its citizens.. A lot of people now have to work until the day they die.

Just the facts
08-17-2011, 08:28 AM
Most likely these people are retired from other jobs. After my father-in-law retired he worked several minimum wage jobs just to have something to do. They don't require any specific skills or training, have flexible hours, and don't mind people who only want to work 3 or 4 hours a day - which is great for older people. Plus, these people will actually show up for work on time and won't steal from the cash register.

Here is a little story I like:

WAL-MART SENIOR GREETER You just have to appreciate this one.
Young people forget that we old people had a career before we retired......

Charley, a new retiree-greeter at Wal-Mart, just couldn't seem to get to work on time.
Every day he was 5, 10, 15 minutes late. But he was a good worker, really tidy,
clean-shaven, sharp-minded and a real credit to the company and obviously demonstrating
their "Older Person Friendly" policies.

One day the boss called him into the office for a talk.

"Charley, I have to tell you, I like your work ethic, you do a bang-up job when you finally get here;
but your being late so often is quite bothersome."

"Yes, I know boss, and I am working on it."

"Well good, you are a team player. That's what I like to hear.”

“Yes sir, I understand your concern and I’ll try harder.”

Seeming puzzled, the manager went on to comment, “It's odd though your coming in late.
I know you're retired from the Armed Forces. What did they say to you there if you
showed up in the morning so late and so often?"

The old man looked down at the floor, then smiled. He chuckled quietly, then said with a grin,
"They usually saluted and said, ‘Good morning, Admiral, can I get your coffee, sir?"

Richard at Remax
08-17-2011, 08:35 AM
If you are on retirement from the state and you decide to go get another job your retirement should be either cut off completely or scaled back dramatically. not fair to the taxpayer.

Roadhawg
08-17-2011, 08:44 AM
If you are on retirement from the state and you decide to go get another job your retirement should be either cut off completely or scaled back dramatically. not fair to the taxpayer.

Are you talking about SS or retirement?

RadicalModerate
08-17-2011, 08:56 AM
I think the mandatory age for "retirement" in this clip is about 30.

4WUUnc1M0TA

I think it would be interesting to hear the song the OP is singing in about 40 years.

BDK
08-17-2011, 09:00 AM
This is due to a combination of factors, really: lack of long-term retirement planning, changes in the structure of retirement (e.g., corporations no longer providing a once-expected pension), and, as Pete noted, increased life expectancy and health care. It's encouraging that theses folks still show gumption and want to work for their livelihood, rather than to rely on the state or charity. And worthy cook, we have to honor the contracts we made with workers regarding retirement. It would be unfair to pull the rug out from under them once they hit retirement.

betts
08-17-2011, 09:07 AM
If we're talking about increasing the age at which one can collect social security, this is going to continue to be an issue. And I think we should increase the age. I would say, however, that people 62 and older who are working are also putting more money into the economy than they would were they only drawing social security. They therefore help with job creation for younger people. And, if you're not drawing social security, people who are older need jobs just as much as the younger. They too need to feed their families, even if it is only a spouse and pets.

RadicalModerate
08-17-2011, 09:11 AM
So . . . How about, instead of "Goobacks" . . . "Graybacks"?
(You might want to turn down the volume.
Or turn it up . . . If you are Oooooold. =)

brj2UkUPjCI

I suppose that a big question here might be how many people in jobs like DHS and/or OU can the public teat nourish before it runs dry.

sacolton
08-17-2011, 09:19 AM
Well, the young generation may have to work until they die since Social Security will probably not be around. At my work, we had "forced retirements", but no money to hire new employees. Now each person has more work and less pay.

Mr T
08-17-2011, 09:21 AM
What IS an entry-level job at a doctor or dentist or physical therapy office? Does one rise up through the ranks? I just don't understand that at all.

Women my age grew up with segregated help-wanted ads. Nurse, teacher, secretary, and the good old "Gal Friday - energetic and attractive." Engineers and doctors and dentists and insurance folk were men. By the time the possibilities were opened to these women most of them had families and responsibilities. Besides, not everyone wants to be doctor/dentist/engineer. I was a most excellent secretary for 40 years and of great beneft to my employers. I resent your implications.

I definitely agree that many older folk are working at anything they can find. When you go to McDonald's and see a 70-year old woman working the evening shift do we say "Get out of there and make room for young people?" Maybe they would rather be at home resting their weary bodies but they are alone and need extra income?

If you put in the years with the state and you earn your retirement it is yours. You did the work. What the heck business is it of Joe Taxpayer if you get another job? Are retired people relegated to the back porch forever?

I just don't understand why everyone is so hyped up about living longer. It seems all it brings you is blame. "Greedy Geezers" and the dreadful Fox headline "OK, old folks, start your whining!" The old folks are the "Greatest Generation" twice a year when we drag them out of the nursing home and parade them. The rest of the year they are Greedy Geezers stealing money. I read the other day that 95% of women over 80 are alone and Social Security is their only source of income. They must be terrified.

America is rapidly becoming a very ugly place. More and more I hope I don't grow old here. And no, I don't mean I want to move.

Mr T
08-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Sorry for any typos. I am quite annoyed and my fingers get away from me. Beebleberries.

TaoMaas
08-17-2011, 09:49 AM

You went to college so you could get an entry-level, non-degree job? Seriously?

ctchandler
08-17-2011, 09:52 AM
Worthy,
I don't think I understand why someone should give up an earned retirement simply because they choose to work at another place. In my forty-five years of working I could have earned several retirements from private companies. Of course, none would be a lot of money if I simply worked till I was vested, but I would need them all to survive in my retirement years.
C. T.

Richard at Remax
08-17-2011, 10:11 AM
I have heard/seen the sweetheart deals that the firefighters, teachers, police, state workers, ect get when they retire and it's almost mindboggling. As a taxpayer, it is a slap in the face when they have this great deal going for them and like the OP said go for for another state agency for the minimum time period just to get MORE money. I'm not sitting here saying it's going to make you a milionaire but I was taught at a young age to set aside money whenever I got to go into savings so I don't have to depend on SS (which will be gone by the time i reach that age) or a monthly check just to get by when I reach that age.

Jesseda
08-17-2011, 10:12 AM
yeah but a lot of younger people like to live off the state, at my job a young man close to my age in the mid 20s told me that he only wants to work so many hours or he will lose his food stamps and extra money he gets from the state!!! There is alot of young people out there that can work, but they do not want to, so i wouldnt blame the elderly workers for taking the younger workers jobs!!! Trust me i see and hear it at my job every day

Mr T
08-17-2011, 10:17 AM
Sometimes planning for retirement does not work. Hubz and I had 401ks, not big ones as we never rose up through the ranks to become engineers, but we had them. Unfortunately, when I had the colossal nerve to survive Stage 4 breast cancer in 1991my health insurance was cancelled and I could not buy another policy for love nor money. When osteoradionecrosis took over my life in 1996 we had to cash the 401ks in to raise SOME of the money it took to fix me. Even then it took 2 horrible horrible years before we could afford to pay. When the oral surgeon said I might lose my jaws anyway but "Not to worry! They can be replaced!" I said "You might as well shoot me now. I can't afford to replace my jaws." Life has many twists and turns and things are not always as they appear.

HewenttoJared
08-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Nobody at any age wants to stay in an entry-level job.

This.

oneforone
08-17-2011, 11:43 AM
The days of retiring and walking away from employment is becoming a thing of the past. Most older Americans are working entry level jobs because it's something to do. I will probably be the same way when I retire. The art of being a workhorse is in my bloodline. Both of my Grandfathers worked until they were forced into retirement because health conditions. Even after forced retirements, both have taken on odd jobs and temp jobs just to get out of the house. I always heard "It's not about the money, it's about staying busy to keep out of trouble."

Larry OKC
08-17-2011, 12:08 PM
You went to college so you could get an entry-level, non-degree job? Seriously?

That certainly isn't the goal, but it can be the reality of the situation. In my field, employers are posting for entry-level, minimum wage type positions and want college degrees, training, several years of experience etc etc etc. Not talking rocket science or brain surgery either.

On the other hand "entry-level" isn't intended to be made as a life long career position. Especially if you are in between employers, you have to start off at the bottom again just to get hired. When I was employed and unavailable for interviews (was only back in OKC on the weekends), I had all sorts of interest. Once I severed employment and was available, hardly any interest at all. Was unemployed for several months. Fianally got on through a temp agency and was hired by a place that I had interviewed applied to twice and interviewed once (was told I was over qualified and I would be bored). Ended up staying there just over 10 years. That has been my experience (your mileage may vary).

Roadhawg
08-17-2011, 12:23 PM

I didn't know being in my 50's counted as being an old person. Unless you're a complete idiot and forgot the past few years we had something called an economic crisis and many good hard working people lost the money in their retirement and now will be forced to work long past the age they planned on retiring. I'm sorry if this has forced them into an entry level job making minimum wage upsets your goal of getting an entry level job.....

FRISKY
08-17-2011, 12:43 PM
College Students in Favor of Wealth Distribution Are Asked ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...Are Asked to Pass Their Grade Points to Other Students

Aug 17, 2011 9:39 AM EDT
A California college student is conducting a social experiment where he's trying to get his peers to sign a petition in favor of distributing grade point averages to show how the federal government distributes wealth.

Oliver Darcy, a recent college graduate, proposes that students with good grades contribute their GPA to their academically sluggish friends. He argues that this is how the federal government takes wealth from the country's high wage earners and distributes it to the low income earners.

"They all earn their GPA," said Darcy in an interview with "Fox and Friends." "So we asked them if they'd be interested in redistributing the GPA points that they earned to students who may be having trouble getting a high GPA."

Darcy, who films his encounters with teachers and fellow students, doesn't have much luck selling this theory.

He said many students on college campuses support high taxes on the rich, but when put into relative terms, cringed at the thought of spreading around their academic wealth.

In a video posted on Exposingleftists.com, one student said, "If I do give GPA points to students that don't deserve it, it isn't fair, I work for what I have."

Oliver also goes around campus asking whether students want to sign his petition to pay their share of the national debt - which amounts to nearly $47,000 per person.

This, too, brought mixed reaction, with one student saying the debt isn't hers because she didn't contribute to it.

Roadhawg
08-17-2011, 12:45 PM
[B]College Students in Favor of Wealth Distribution Are Asked ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's this have to do with the topic?

Mr T
08-17-2011, 12:47 PM
Well, in the first place you are talking apples and oranges. In the second place, the student is incorrect.

ctchandler
08-17-2011, 12:57 PM
Roadhawg,
Not to mention hundreds of my friends/work acquaintances that lost their jobs in the 2006-2007 period before the economy problems. Cut by the new owners of Hertz without regard to age and a lot of them were in there fifties. I actually don't have a lot of friends that want to work after retiring. I have been retired since 2004 and I enjoy my freedom, whether it's traveling or just hanging out.
C. T.

I didn't know being in my 50's counted as being an old person. Unless you're a complete idiot and forgot the past few years we had something called an economic crisis and many good hard working people lost the money in their retirement and now will be forced to work long past the age they planned on retiring. I'm sorry if this has forced them into an entry level job making minimum wage upsets your goal of getting an entry level job.....

Midtowner
08-17-2011, 03:21 PM
I have an assistant who I hired and get to greatly underpay for what she's worth because if I paid her more, she'd lose her social security money. I'll take a sixty-something year-old part time legal assistant any day over a law student or a college student to do my clerking. It's a good deal for everyone involved.

PennyQuilts
08-17-2011, 03:51 PM
All across Europe we see young people and new immigrants out of work while older people have the jobs. Young people need to understand that if they want a job, in this economy, they are now competing with people who aren't covered in tattoos and who understand the concept of, "You are the boss and I am the employee" and who generally have a track record of showing they are willing to work hard. Not all young people are self centered slackers but there are enough of them out there to give the rest of the young people a very bad reputation. I hear this from employers my age and older all the time - so many hired a young person and they are astonished at what they ended up with and swear, "Never again." Getting rid of the minimum wage would also take care of a lot of this. Some jobs take technical skills the young ones do well with. Jobs needing judgment, people skills and dedication often go to people who grew up playing with other kids instead of video games; who had chores to do before and after school; and who worked in high school to help pay the bills and thought nothing of it. It is a whole different mindset.

G.Walker
08-17-2011, 04:02 PM

Yes! I ruffled your feathers, calm down man, its just what most people call "an opinion"! Just wanted to start a discussion...Oh and I have great job by the way, lol.

ctchandler
08-17-2011, 04:36 PM
G. Walker,
Nothing wrong with a good discussion. By the way, somebody mentioned that they would never draw SS because it wouldn't be available when they retired (I don't remember the exact comment), that's the same thing we were saying when I was a lot younger. I'm now 67 and have slopped at the government trough (SS) since I was 62. There will be changes. I don't know what they will be but it will probably include an older age for early withdrawal. Unfortunately there probably will be increases in deductions. Who knows? SS was never intended to be retirement, just a supplement to retirement and that's what it is for me.
C. T.

Yes! I ruffled your feathers, calm down man, its just what most people call "an opinion"! Just wanted to start a discussion...Oh and I have great job by the way, lol.

Steve
08-17-2011, 05:08 PM
As someone who is Generation X, sandwiched between the Baby Boomers and the Gen Y's, I'm going to irritate all of you. It's pure stupidity and selfishness to go after those at retirement age (Baby Boom) and insult them for wanting to continue working. But yeah, as a generation, they've been selfish since the '60s, and they'll go out wanting it all to be about them. They'll bankrupt Social Security before Gen X ever gets a shot at fixing it.
More often than not, the younger generation's work ethic is pretty abysmal. Raised to think they can never fail and every test gets an A+, it seems as if this new upcoming generation has one thing in common with the Baby Boomers - they love to whine and wonder why it's not all about them. Are they innovative? Heck yeah. But common sense seems to escape many.
(Broad brush response to a broad brush thread)

BDK
08-17-2011, 05:18 PM
I see you brought your dour, Seattle Gen. X attitude, too, Steve. (j/k)

I think the population is self-centered, whiny, and lazy in general, regardless of generation. (God, if I think like this at 24, is there any hope that I won't be an old crank?)

No minimum wage is a terrible idea, some employers (likely illegally, I might add) already get away with unpaid "internships" for students.

Steve
08-17-2011, 05:37 PM
Webster Dictionary for "dour": gloomy, sullen
Yep, that pretty much nails Gen X since we graduated from college!

BDK, can't argue with you - massive amounts of sanity and common sense will be lost when the Greatest Generation disappears for good.

BDK
08-17-2011, 05:41 PM
Along with a lot of civility and rationality, Steve.

Steve
08-17-2011, 06:18 PM
Yep.

foodiefan
08-17-2011, 06:42 PM
[QUOTE=Just the facts;459824]Most likely these people are retired from other jobs. After my father-in-law retired he worked several minimum wage jobs just to have something to do. They don't require any specific skills or training, have flexible hours, and don't mind people who only want to work 3 or 4 hours a day - which is great for older people. Plus, these people will actually show up for work on time and won't steal from the cash register.

Don't hang me from the yardarm:whiteflag, but. . . IF you're working "just to have something to do", there are a multitude of agencies/groups/associations that desparately need dedicated volunteers. And, believe me pls, you will have a more meaningful experience and reap far more than the monetary rewards a minimum wage job will provide.

MadMonk
08-17-2011, 06:49 PM
LOL, I guess it goes from "Stay of my lawn" for the elderly to "Stop stealing our jobs" from the young 'uns.

Larry OKC
08-17-2011, 09:08 PM

I don't know but I liked it. +10000

ljbab728
08-17-2011, 10:50 PM

I'm not quite sure I understand what you're saying here. Are you saying that a young professional out of college should be able to step into a supervisory position and in your place of employment that isn't happening?

Bunty
08-17-2011, 11:52 PM
One woman I know of who retired as window clerk from the post office now works the register at Wal-Mart. She said she simply got fed up with nothing to do. To me, that's sad one hasn't found hobbies at that age that to be tickled devoting full time to when retired.

Bunty
08-17-2011, 11:55 PM
I didn't know being in my 50's counted as being an old person.

When I was in my 20s and 30s being in one's 50s was OLD.

Bunty
08-18-2011, 12:02 AM
All across Europe we see young people and new immigrants out of work while older people have the jobs. Young people need to understand that if they want a job, in this economy, they are now competing with people who aren't covered in tattoos and who understand the concept of, "You are the boss and I am the employee" and who generally have a track record of showing they are willing to work hard. Not all young people are self centered slackers but there are enough of them out there to give the rest of the young people a very bad reputation. I hear this from employers my age and older all the time - so many hired a young person and they are astonished at what they ended up with and swear, "Never again." Getting rid of the minimum wage would also take care of a lot of this. Some jobs take technical skills the young ones do well with. Jobs needing judgment, people skills and dedication often go to people who grew up playing with other kids instead of video games; who had chores to do before and after school; and who worked in high school to help pay the bills and thought nothing of it. It is a whole different mindset.
Getting rid of the minimum wage would mean it would go down, making more people, especially with kids, eligible for government welfare, like food stamps. I'm not sure if a lot of people would like that.

Bunty
08-18-2011, 12:07 AM

Frisky's point is that it is wrong for the government to take money from the producers and give it to the moochers as a means to redistribute wealth. He strongly believes that government welfare should be abolished as well as Social Security and Medicare. As far as it being on topic, if it worked, then retired people wouldn't be going back to work.

ljbab728
08-18-2011, 12:09 AM
One woman I know of who retired as window clerk from the post office now works the register at Wal-Mart. She said she simply got fed up with nothing to do. To me, that's sad one hasn't found hobbies at that age that to be tickled devoting full time to when retired.

Bunty, keep in mind that just having a hobby doesn't always relate to those who are used to having daily interaction with the public and enjoy that.

cameron_405
08-18-2011, 05:00 AM
Bunty, keep in mind that just having a hobby doesn't always relate to those who are used to having daily interaction with the public and enjoy that.

I agree. Sometimes people's 'job duties' has unknown positive ripple effects.

PennyQuilts
08-18-2011, 07:34 AM
As someone who is Generation X, sandwiched between the Baby Boomers and the Gen Y's, I'm going to irritate all of you. It's pure stupidity and selfishness to go after those at retirement age (Baby Boom) and insult them for wanting to continue working. But yeah, as a generation, they've been selfish since the '60s, and they'll go out wanting it all to be about them. They'll bankrupt Social Security before Gen X ever gets a shot at fixing it.
More often than not, the younger generation's work ethic is pretty abysmal. Raised to think they can never fail and every test gets an A+, it seems as if this new upcoming generation has one thing in common with the Baby Boomers - they love to whine and wonder why it's not all about them. Are they innovative? Heck yeah. But common sense seems to escape many.
(Broad brush response to a broad brush thread)

I don't think I will get much social security and am not counting on it but I'll get some. It steams me that so many of the young people are getting screwed over, IMO. I tend to agree with you that as a group, the baby boomers are raking it in. It is as if they don't know or don't care that they are getting far more than they contributed and that as a result, others aren't going to get anything. I don't think that is right. It would be different if we had a never ending money pot but we don't.

I am never sure I am a baby boomer - some put me in the last year or not at all. But I'm not eligible to draw any benefits for about 15 years so I don't consider myself to be one.

PennyQuilts
08-18-2011, 07:38 AM
I see you brought your dour, Seattle Gen. X attitude, too, Steve. (j/k)

I think the population is self-centered, whiny, and lazy in general, regardless of generation. (God, if I think like this at 24, is there any hope that I won't be an old crank?)

No minimum wage is a terrible idea, some employers (likely illegally, I might add) already get away with unpaid "internships" for students.

Yes, but it is a way to be able to hire more people and allow them to get their foot in the door. The first job is all but slave labor, anyway. Always has been and that is a good thing because it encourages ambition. As my dad used to say, "The cream rises to the top." Give a hardworking, talented kid a chance to get noticed and she'll do well and move up. That is the way the system works best. Teaching people that their entry level job should be enough to support them and that everyone should be treated the same doesn't reward hard work, talent or creativity and just ends up with a lot of fine people with no job and no future.

PennyQuilts
08-18-2011, 07:40 AM
Getting rid of the minimum wage would mean it would go down, making more people, especially with kids, eligible for government welfare, like food stamps. I'm not sure if a lot of people would like that.

Minimum wages aren't keeping anyone off welfare. They're still eligible if you throw in a child or two.

PennyQuilts
08-18-2011, 07:41 AM
Frisky's point is that it is wrong for the government to take money from the producers and give it to the moochers as a means to redistribute wealth. He strongly believes that government welfare should be abolished as well as Social Security and Medicare. As far as it being on topic, if it worked, then retired people wouldn't be going back to work.

Plenty of retired people were raised with a strong work ethic and that is just part of who they are. The whole notion of having hobbies or just hanging out, instead, is one of the defining differences between the boomers and some of the younger set.

RadicalModerate
08-18-2011, 07:58 AM
What? Non-stop video gaming and playing around with other electronic devices aren't hobbies? =)
(Plus you get to interact with the "virtual public" as much or as little as you want. Even behind the wheel of a car--or on the sales floor. =)

(P.S.: I'm a "job hogger" who only carries a cell phone in case of car trouble.)

G.Walker
08-18-2011, 09:02 AM
I'm not quite sure I understand what you're saying here. Are you saying that a young professional out of college should be able to step into a supervisory position and in your place of employment that isn't happening?

No, what I am saying is that for a person already retired from the state or agency, that comes back to the workforce minimizes opportunities for recent graduates looking for a job. I used my supervisor situation as an example, because him coming back, he was hired as a supervisor, but there were young qualified people working for the department who could have manned that position. But him holding that position does not give opportunities for younger workers chance to move up in the department, which in return won't free up entry-level positions.

The whole essence of my argument is that retired or need to retire people are minimizing job opportunities for the younger workforce and recent graduates, by them coming back to work after retiring or working until they die. That can be the main reason that entrepreneurship is really high among young professionals.

FritterGirl
08-18-2011, 09:51 AM
The whole essence of my argument is that retired or need to retire people are minimizing job opportunities for the younger workforce and recent graduates, by them coming back to work after retiring or working until they die. That can be the main reason that entrepreneurship is really high among young professionals.

I am throwing this in there for argument's sake.

Let's say you're a business owner/upper management/CEO. You have positions to fill, and a specific budget with which to fill it.

Do you fill it with someone who has experience in the workforce, who has a knowledge base that perhaps exceeds that which the position requires, or do you fill it with someone who still has a significant learning curve to overcome in order to be efficient at said position, and then because you are now down ANOTHER position (the entry-level position), you now have to spend more $$$ on training for the new person, plus potentially lose some productivity while that person is still learning the new job.

Putting yourself in the POSITION of a business leader, what would you choose?

Especially in a down economy, it is no wonder some businesses are turning to older workers to fill these roles.

Is it fair? That's a subjective question that has as many different answers as people who speculate on it.

Being "retired" does not mean "sitting on your rocker all day watching soap operas or ESPN classic." Many "retired" seniors, as has been earlier discussed, are still looking for jobs in the workforce and still NEEDED.

MadMonk
08-18-2011, 10:25 AM
What I get out of this entire thread is that the younger generation is a bunch of whiny little crybabies bawling about how they can't make it on their own because it's too hard. They think they are entitled to a job because they went to college and when their dream job doesn't magically present itself, it's the "old people's" fault. Well, boo freakin' hoo, suck it up kiddies.

However, they can't help it if their parent's coddled them their whole lives. For having such an attitude we have no one to blame but their parents.

Now GTF off of my lawn.

[/SweepingGeneralizationMode]

RadicalModerate
08-18-2011, 10:41 AM
And there you have it. (LOL!)

(Except for the part about how some runny-nosed, gelled-spikey-haired, Facebook(etc.)-Addicted, whiner, just out of a major university with one of those MBAs that are worth about as much as a fake Mexican Drivers License--with no actual life experience or perspective and/or any clue to what actually works and cannot even begin to perform even the most basic tasks associated with a particular process that you are completely familiar with is "empowered" to tell you how to do it. Probably on account of having the electrodes controlled by Central Corporate Planning (that is, the same folks of "the older generation" who brought us the current economy) installed in their brains as a condition of employment.)

Or maybe that was already covered. =)

As David Byrne of The Talking Heads used to say: "Same as it ever was."

(Did I use too many parenthesis(es) in that rant?)

sacolton
08-18-2011, 12:16 PM
The percentage of U.S. adults with jobs is down to 58.1%, from 64.7% in 2000, according to the St. Louis Fed. That, my friends, isn't good.

Roadhawg
08-18-2011, 12:28 PM
What I get out of this entire thread is that the younger generation is a bunch of whiny little crybabies bawling about how they can't make it on their own because it's too hard. They think they are entitled to a job because they went to college and when their dream job doesn't magically present itself, it's the "old people's" fault. Well, boo freakin' hoo, suck it up kiddies.

However, they can't help it if their parent's coddled them their whole lives. For having such an attitude we have no one to blame but their parents.

Now GTF off of my lawn.

[/SweepingGeneralizationMode]

How do you really feel? LOL

TaoMaas
08-19-2011, 05:00 AM
I think the real problem is that there are simply not enough jobs. I can remember 30+ years ago, there were members of "the greatest generation" coming back to work simply to get the insurance benefits...back when every full-time job automatically came with such things. We didn't begrudge them their job because there were plenty of positions to go around and they usually weren't an obstacle to advancement.

rcjunkie
08-19-2011, 05:04 AM
And there you have it. (LOL!)

(Except for the part about how some runny-nosed, gelled-spikey-haired, Facebook(etc.)-Addicted, whiner, just out of a major university with one of those MBAs that are worth about as much as a fake Mexican Drivers License--with no actual life experience or perspective and/or any clue to what actually works and cannot even begin to perform even the most basic tasks associated with a particular process that you are completely familiar with is "empowered" to tell you how to do it. Probably on account of having the electrodes controlled by Central Corporate Planning (that is, the same folks of "the older generation" who brought us the current economy) installed in their brains as a condition of employment.)

Or maybe that was already covered. =)

As David Byrne of The Talking Heads used to say: "Same as it ever was."

(Did I use too many parenthesis(es) in that rant?)

You always do, along with ", !, ;), among others. you may have some great points, but your postings are hard to look at and read so I always skip them.

WilliamTell
08-19-2011, 06:07 AM
As a young person i want to chime in on this thread -

- IMHO outside of double dipping military(or fire, police, etc) that then go into federal or state employment there isnt alot of greed going on. I do not support someone being able to retire twice from the tax payer while most people are struggling to get a single retirement.

From what i've observed in my last 6 years of working in the 'real world,' when most older people work its typically out of necessity or fear about their health insurance / short term financial stability going into the future. If i was in there shoes listening too all the theatrics about social security and medicare i would consider putting off my retirement as well.

A very small minority of boomers actually have the true 'I'll work till i die' mentality; I think more say it as a display that they are committed to the company or organization so they dont get wrote off as just wanting to show up and collect a pay check for the next year or two before they disappear. With that said, ive worked at a number of companies and now in public and i can count on 1 hand the number of people i know that are working past full social security age.

Its easy to say boomer greed, worst generation ever, the true me-me-me generation....but if i was in there shoes in the current climate would i want to consider leaving a stable job?????