View Full Version : School Supplies

FFLady
08-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Just curious how many people "donate" these items? We were having a conversation at the office about all the school-supply drives the metro seems to have, and one person mentioned they do not participate mainly because you have parents out there that go from Church to Church collecting these items, like double-dipping I suppose. Has anyone experienced this ? What are your feelings on this? Do you donate?

rcjunkie
08-11-2011, 02:34 PM
Just curious how many people "donate" these items? We were having a conversation at the office about all the school-supply drives the metro seems to have, and one person mentioned they do not participate mainly because you have parents out there that go from Church to Church collecting these items, like double-dipping I suppose. Has anyone experienced this ? What are your feelings on this? Do you donate?

I donate to, and volunteer for a program in Norman called Stuff the Bus. Each year they collect backpacks and supplies then distribute them to any child that asks for one. This year the citizens packed a school bus full of supplies and many donated cash (at the event I helped at, we collected at least 2000.00). It's sponsored by the United Way of Norman.

Pete
08-11-2011, 03:04 PM
There will always be those that take advantage of such programs but there are many more that have legitimate need.

I wouldn't let a few unscrupulous people affect your generosity and compassion.

rcjunkie
08-11-2011, 03:19 PM
There will always be those that take advantage of such programs but there are many more that have legitimate need.

I wouldn't let a few unscrupulous people affect your generosity and compassion.

If your concerned about people taking advantage of school supply hand outs, donate directly to the school, trust me, anything is greatly appreciated. (my ex-wife and daughter are teachers, I wouldn't be suprised at all if the each spent at least $1000 out of pocket to buy needed supplies).

PennyQuilts
08-11-2011, 07:56 PM
It is so odd that when my kids were in school, you never saw this. In the past few years, this is everywhere. I am not sure anyone in the DC area actually buys their own school supplies if the hype encouraging donations is to be believed - and this went on long before the current economic crisis.

I was a teacher in the 80's and even though I heard that teachers were spending that amount of money, even then, it was not my experience and I never saw anyone else do it, either.

HewenttoJared
08-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Richest country in the world needing donations to maintain it's third-world education standards...Sad stuff

Larry OKC
08-11-2011, 10:30 PM
The dichotomies abound. That is true.

Thunder
08-11-2011, 11:59 PM
Come on down to your favorite market at the Golden Goose!

Our very own, Rodia's Boutique, sells school supplies! Be sure to mark it down for the upcoming weekend.

rcjunkie
08-12-2011, 04:03 AM
Come on down to your favorite market at the Golden Goose!

Our very own, Rodia's Boutique, sells school supplies! Be sure to mark it down for the upcoming weekend.

I understand your passion for this Flea market, but the items she sells were bought for resale at your local Walmart, she inturn marks/sells said items for twice what she paid for them.

Swake2
08-12-2011, 07:53 AM
It is so odd that when my kids were in school, you never saw this. In the past few years, this is everywhere. I am not sure anyone in the DC area actually buys their own school supplies if the hype encouraging donations is to be believed - and this went on long before the current economic crisis.

I was a teacher in the 80's and even though I heard that teachers were spending that amount of money, even then, it was not my experience and I never saw anyone else do it, either.

Part of the change is that the definition of school supplies has changed. It’s not a personal folder for each class, paper, pencils and a backpack anymore. It’s mostly classroom supplies now that used to be purchased by the school. My son’s school PTAG group sells bundles of the needed supplies for each grade level I think for $45 and that’s far cheaper than you could actually buy them all for separately. No backpack included.

It’s worse as they get older too. I just took my daughter this morning to enrollment for High School and she has a bundle of checks with her for different fees totaling almost $200. And that’s before all the school supplies and still no backpack.

RadicalModerate
08-12-2011, 08:18 AM
The dichotomies abound. That is true.

I think that it is unfair and cruel of you to use the word "dichotomies" without providing a direct link to an online dictionary.

I remember back in the good old days how you could collect a box or two of pop bottles, turn them in at the grocery store and have enough money to buy one of these--which made you either the koolest kid (or the biggest nerd) in the school . . .

dP6Ievts6B0

If you carried your Trapper Keeper in a briefcase rather than a backpack, it increased the chances of being considered to be in the latter social group.

The already inflated price really skyrocketed after that Trapper Keeper episode of South Park.

FFLady
08-12-2011, 06:16 PM
I saw where Rick Mitchell was at Mathis Brothers collecting school supplies to give to teachers. I would think this is a much better route for anyone concerned with double-dipping. Give directly to them for their classroom!!!!! Problem solved! Thanks for your input!