View Full Version : New dedicated bicycle lanes

OUman
08-11-2011, 12:04 PM
As someone who bikes quite regularly around town (mostly the OU campus, sometimes as far south as Lloyd Noble/NWC and as far north as north campus-though haven't been there lately), I've noticed new bike lanes being marked as part of the re-striping going on in Norman. There are new bike lanes on McGee Drive between Lindsay and Boyd, as well as also on Boyd between 12th East and Oklahoma (the lanes on both sides end where Boyd dips down into a small valley). Quite pleasing to see, I used the Boyd ones yesterday and so far motorists seem to be doing well with keeping to "their" side. Not that they never did before, but I had noticed some motorists tending to come pretty close if I did ride on the side of the road. I mainly used to just stick to the sidewalks but these will provide a good and hopefully safer option.

Only thing is since Boyd isn't that wide west of Oklahoma, the lanes don't go all the way to Classen, but the sidewalks west of Oklahoma have been recently re-paved-some of them anyway.

venture
08-11-2011, 02:45 PM
Hopefully they expand the usage, especially on roads marked at bike routes. 24th SE/NE has bikers on it all the time, but there isn't a lot of room to maneuver and traffic can be a pain.

OUman
08-12-2011, 07:33 AM
^24th SE is especially dangerous between Alameda and Lindsey, I tried it once and escaped with one driver coming within inches. It's safe to say I won't be riding on that part again, unless the city puts up sidewalks. It does have sidewalks north of Alameda though.

especially on roads marked at bike routes

You mean pretty much the entire road network in the city. :-p

venture
08-12-2011, 11:42 AM
You mean pretty much the entire road network in the city. :-p

Bah...technicalities. LOL

It is interesting just how lacking sidewalks are there, but then again...development hasn't been all that explosive on this side of town yet.

BG918
08-12-2011, 05:56 PM
I'd like to see more of them through the OU campus. Elm from South Greek to Boyd, Jenkins from Hwy 9 to downtown and Brooks from Berry to Elm and Jenkins to 12th (with a dedicated lane through campus from Elm to Jenkins) should have bike lanes.

acumpton
08-12-2011, 06:33 PM
Bah...technicalities. LOL

It is interesting just how lacking sidewalks are there, but then again...development hasn't been all that explosive on this side of town yet.

But even when there are sidewalks, half the time they still ride on the ride.

Snowman
08-13-2011, 04:22 PM

That is completely legitimate. A sidewalk is often not designed to be a bike lane or may have low hanging tree limbs or other issues. They have a right to be on most any city street along with rules to follow just like cars. Cars do not get to run bikes over just because they are bigger.

acumpton
08-13-2011, 06:36 PM
That is why bicycle routes are created, so they don't encounter those obstacles. Now if they choose to ride on a street where the lanes are not very wide to begin with, well that's just an accident waiting to happen, either with the bicyclist or with a car swerving to avoid them.

BG918
08-16-2011, 12:16 PM
Through OU they currently have a bike lane on the west side of the South Oval, but it is not marked well or separated from the sidewalk in any way. I'd like to see something like what they have on the CU-Boulder campus that is more separated from 'pedestrian-only' sidewalks:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4010/4286447668_ce8034642a_z.jpg

This would be done along the South Oval and south towards the dorms (the most congested pedestrian area of campus) and also along the wide sidewalks in front of the Library where Brooks once went through from Elm to Jenkins. On the roads, there should be bike lanes along:
- University from Main to Boyd
- Elm from Delta to Symmes
- Chautauqua from Imhoff to Symmes
- Berry from Imhoff to Robinson (to connect to Robinson trail)
- Imhoff from Berry to Jenkins
- Constitution from Jenkins to 12th
- Symmes from Berry to Jenkins
- Jenkins from David L Boren/South Campus to Main (to connect to Legacy trail)
- Brooks from Berry to Elm
- Brooks from Jenkins to 12th

It would also be great to see the Legacy trail extended south from Duffy to the Duck Pond park and Lindsey, possibly further to connect the large apartments complexes near Jimmie Austin GC.

shane453
08-16-2011, 03:47 PM

It is illegal to ride bikes on sidewalks. Bikers have the right to a full traffic lane when there is no dedicated bike lane present.

ljbab728
08-16-2011, 09:40 PM
It is illegal to ride bikes on sidewalks. Bikers have the right to a full traffic lane when there is no dedicated bike lane present.

You're correct that bikers may use a regular traffic lane. There are restrictions, however:

"A bicyclist upon a roadway shall ride as near to the right side of the roadway as practical. Bicyclists should use caution when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction. (Title 47 § 11-1205)

All vehicles must be driven upon the right half of the roadway except:

When passing a vehicle proceeding in the same direction.

When an obstruction makes it necessary to drive left of center. You must yield to vehicles traveling in their proper lane.

Upon a roadway restricted to one-way traffic.

Upon a roadway with more than two lanes, providing for turn movements or additional lanes of travel in the same direction.

Bicyclists should remain as far to the right as practical unless passing or turning. (Title 47 § 11-301)

Bicycles should always travel with the flow of traffic. Riding on the left is illegal and unsafe. Motorists typically don't look right for oncoming traffic when entering the street from a driveway or intersection."

I have seen countless bikers riding on the left and always cross my fingers that they make in home in one piece.

Most bikers seem to be very knowledeable and safety conscious but there are always exceptions. The bike paths around Lake Hefner have stop signs for the bikers when the path crosses a road. I have come very close to hitting a number of bikers who just ignore those signs and ride directly in front of my car.

OUman
08-17-2011, 08:42 AM
Through OU they currently have a bike lane on the west side of the South Oval, but it is not marked well or separated from the sidewalk in any way. I'd like to see something like what they have on the CU-Boulder campus that is more separated from 'pedestrian-only' sidewalks:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4010/4286447668_ce8034642a_z.jpg

This would be done along the South Oval and south towards the dorms (the most congested pedestrian area of campus) and also along the wide sidewalks in front of the Library where Brooks once went through from Elm to Jenkins. On the roads, there should be bike lanes along:
- University from Main to Boyd
- Elm from Delta to Symmes
- Chautauqua from Imhoff to Symmes
- Berry from Imhoff to Robinson (to connect to Robinson trail)
- Imhoff from Berry to Jenkins
- Constitution from Jenkins to 12th
- Symmes from Berry to Jenkins
- Jenkins from David L Boren/South Campus to Main (to connect to Legacy trail)
- Brooks from Berry to Elm
- Brooks from Jenkins to 12th

It would also be great to see the Legacy trail extended south from Duffy to the Duck Pond park and Lindsey, possibly further to connect the large apartments complexes near Jimmie Austin GC.

I don't quite understand what you mean by "it's not well-marked or separated" from the sidewalk. Actually it's on the far east side of the pedestrian mall that was created several years back when it was re-paved and brought to the grass level; this separates it from most of the foot traffic. I'll grant you it's a bit narrow for two riders to pass each other at the same time, but it's well-marked with the bicycle sign every 50 feet or so. I've ridden in that lane when hundreds of students are walking in between classes as well without much trouble.

Also your suggestion for bike lanes are great, the problem is almost all of these streets are way to narrow to have a separate bike lane. Boyd is wide enough between Oklahoma and 12th, so they could mark it there, but as you go west on Boyd it end since Boyd narrows. Having such a bike lane on most of those stretches you mention will be impossible without widening the road a bit first.

I've been riding my bike on sidewalks everywhere in Norman for the past 9 years or so and if that were the case, I certainly would've been informed by at least one of the many police that passed by as I was riding:wink:

Mr T
08-17-2011, 09:52 AM
I live on West Brooks a few blocks west of campus and there is barely enough room for cars. Once classes start and the north side of the street is filled with parked student cars, there is not enough room for two directions of traffic, never mind a bike lane. Widening the road would be hard. There is a hill on the south side and the main sewers are right underneath.

I know at one time the Storm Water Master Plan took out a bunch of houses on my block and on the other side of the bridge, to be replaced with greenbelts and trails, so they could probably widen there, but it would narrow right back down again. I think that part of the Plan is on hold for now anyway as they try to take care of the lake watershed.