View Full Version : Is this a real disorder?

Patrick
03-30-2005, 09:41 PM
What do you think? Should this be a real disorder? Is it a disease? Is it biological? Is it genetic? How do you feel this should be treated?

Your thoughts.

"Diagnostic Criteria for 300.02 Generalized Anxiety Disorder
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excessive anxiety and worry (apprehensive expectation), occurring more days than not for at least six months, about a number of events or activities (such as work or school performance).

The person finds it difficult to control the worry.

The anxiety and worry are associated with three (or more) of the following six symptoms (with at least some symptoms present for more days than not for the past six months). NOTE: Only one item is required in children.
Restlessness or feeling keyed up or on edge
Being easily fatigued
Difficulty concentrating or mind going blank
Irritability
Muscle tension
Sleep disturbance (difficulty falling or staying asleep, or restless unsatisfying sleep)
The focus of the anxiety and worry is not confined to features of an Axis I disorder, e.g., the anxiety or worry is not about having a panic attack (as in Panic Disorder), being embarrassed in public (as in Social Phobia), being contaminated (as in Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder), being away from home or close relatives (as in Separation Anxiety Disorder), gaining weight (as in Anorexia Nervosa), having multiple physical complaints (as in Somatization Disorder), or having a serious illness (as in Hypochondriasis), and the anxiety and worry do not occur exclusively during Post-traumatic Stress Disorder.

The anxiety, worry or physical symptoms cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational or other important areas of functioning.

The disturbance is not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, a medication) or a general medical condition (e.g., hyperthyroidism) and does not occur exclusively during a Mood Disorder, a Psychotic Disorder, or a Pervasive Developmental Disorder."

Midtowner
03-30-2005, 09:44 PM
They need progenitorivox for that.

http://www.jibjab.com/cu_play_full.html

Oh, and is it a common thing now to create a disease based on symptoms when they don't know what's causing the symptoms? If it's a chemical imbalance, sure, it's a disorder, if not, it just requires the person getting over themselves.

But there's always progenitorivox. I hear it helps you lose weight, regulates blood sugar, and fights cavities as well as depression.

Sooner&RiceGrad
03-30-2005, 11:21 PM
There is already a very simillar "disorder" in existance. You may look up, Asberger's Syndrome.

Sooner&RiceGrad
03-30-2005, 11:23 PM
Actually, it may just be Asbergers Syndrome, I forget if it has a punctuation mark

Patrick
03-31-2005, 01:57 PM
Actually, it may just be Asbergers Syndrome, I forget if it has a punctuation mark

The disorder you mention is characterized by severe and sustained impairment in social interaction. What does that have to do with constantly worrying?

Midtowner
03-31-2005, 02:11 PM
The disorder you mention is characterized by severe and sustained impairment in social interaction. What does that have to do with constantly worrying?

They are similar because the patients that suffer from each condition breathe air.

Zoedith
03-31-2005, 05:25 PM
What do you think? Should this be a real disorder? Is it a disease? Is it biological? Is it genetic? How do you feel this should be treated?

Your thoughts.

Generalized anxiety disorder has been around for awhile. I believe it is a real disorder. As with most disorders, it doesn't actually become a disorder until it disrupts your life. My meaning there is that many people worry, but does it effect your work or sleeping habits.

As far as it being genetic or biological, I don't know. Maybe it has something to do with personality and upbringing.

I don't believe any disorder should be treated without therapy unless it is of course a chemical imbalance, and even then therapy helps. They have quite a few drugs they use to treat this (paxil, wellbutrin), mostly they make people feel less anxious in order to go to a therapist and find out why they feel this way, and perhaps learn new methods of coping with their worries/stress.

I think too many people consider the use of the word disorder, in this fashion, as a stigma or a flaw.

As far as it being like Asberger's syndrome, I don't agree. Asberger's is more closely related to autism.

windowphobe
03-31-2005, 07:08 PM
More days than not, for at least 16 years.

I believe it. Most of the time, I live it.

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-02-2005, 09:28 AM
Patrick, here I'll re-read what you posted.

You did specify that the anxiety must distress social interactment...

I would say it is very differant though because Asbergers is a variation of Autism, with a flair of irritability. Supposedly Asberger people A, obsess in strange things, B, not exactly star athletes, and C, are very cranky. Thomas Jefferson had it.

Oddly that matches what I think of everyone I know. LOL

I can't think of any that match that exactly off the top of my head, but if yu take just one out you can come up with many. Isn't that with everything though?

Patrick
04-04-2005, 01:33 AM
Patrick, here I'll re-read what you posted.

You did specify that the anxiety must distress social interactment...

I would say it is very differant though because Asbergers is a variation of Autism, with a flair of irritability. Supposedly Asberger people A, obsess in strange things, B, not exactly star athletes, and C, are very cranky. Thomas Jefferson had it.

Oddly that matches what I think of everyone I know. LOL

I can't think of any that match that exactly off the top of my head, but if yu take just one out you can come up with many. Isn't that with everything though?

It doesn't even resemble Asperger's syndrome. People with Asperger's are like people with autism...they live in their own world...not really conscious of reality.

People with GAD constantly worry and have the somatic symptoms associated with it.

The reason GAD distresses social interaction is because the person is worrying so much, trembling, throwing up due to anxiety, etc. ......no wonder they have problems interacting socially. But, it's more a side effect of the disoder, and not a symptom itself.

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-04-2005, 06:51 AM
I would argue that asbergers (I don't think anyone including me in this thread has spelled it right) are infact very conscience. Wasn't Thomas Jefferson?

Midtowner
04-04-2005, 10:47 AM
I would argue that asbergers (I don't think anyone including me in this thread has spelled it right) are infact very conscience. Wasn't Thomas Jefferson?

It is said that he did -- in fact, there's a book on Amazon.com that discusses this diagnosis. However, I find it difficult to believe. Asperger's patients apparently are able to memorize and recall vast amounts of information, just like individuals with exceptional IQ's. The difference is that those with Asperger's lack the mental capacity to analyze and deal with that information. I don't claim to be an expert on Jefferson's life, but from what I can tell, and from what I do know, the man was quite good at processing information. He was also an excellent problem solver -- go to Monticello sometime, he did some very innovative things there.

It's fun sometimes to go back and say that Einstein had ADHD, Lincoln was gay, and George Washington was dyslexic. However, unless they've been diagnosed using accepted standardized tests administered by a qualified professional, it's really an academic discussion at best.

Jefferson didn't seem to exhibit many of Asperger's characteristics at all, maybe some social awkwardness or something to that effect, but in reality, he was no different from many individuals of exceptional intelligence.

I know that's off the beaten path of the thread, but really, check out the link I posted to progenitorivox above. Sounds interesting.

Faith
07-29-2005, 03:42 PM
I believe this is a true disorder. My husband suffers from general anxiety disorder almost on a daily basis. I do believe that research has showed it is hereditary. Majority of the time it tends to run in families. With constant worrying (anxiety) that distrupts ones ability to live a normal life it must be dealt with in order for these people to get through. I don't necessarily think you have to take a prescription medicaiton to deal with anxiety but I do agree that therapy is needed. People with anxiety disorder can suffer very severe and scary attacks. The attacks can be brought on by a simple physical change (indegestion, headache, etc.) or an immediate change of surroundings i.e. ( crowded room, high rise building, the sky changing colors due to a storm, a sudden silence, etc. ). As far as treatment goes. I wish I knew the best treatment to help out and prevent the attacks from coming. He doesn't even want to consider therapy for them, because he has in the past, and his view is the doctors normally just ask him if he wants to try a new prescription available on the marked for anxiety. Trying a new prescription gives him anxiety just thinking about it.

osupa05
07-29-2005, 11:02 PM
Hey Patrick... if it has an ICD-9 code for it, then does it matter if it's real or not! LOL.. just kidding... I don't qualify yet to say whether or not it's real!

Patrick
08-09-2005, 09:59 AM
Of course it's one of the anxiety disorders. I was just wanting to know everyone's opinion on it.

karlanee
08-10-2005, 07:29 PM
Patrick,

Just for curiousity sake - what is the medical definition of a disorder? Is it simply the body not reacting as it should?

Thanks.