View Full Version : The City Sentinel

Doug Loudenback
08-04-2011, 07:08 AM
Although I've occasionally thumbed through it, perhaps a the City Sentinel is becoming an additional weekly news source for those interested in central city stuff, and I checked out its on-line version this morning: http://city-sentinel.com/.

Perusing its "Government" tab this morning, I was mildly surprised to see this article (http://city-sentinel.com/?p=1503) by Ward 2 councilman Ed Shadid ...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/citysentinel.jpg

I also see that Billie Rodely is a staff writer. She did a great job at OETA-TV for many years. Perhaps you will recall that great series of video clips that OETA-TV put together during Oklahoma's centennial year on interesting snippets from Oklahoma history and she did many of them.

Here's a nice story on the Paseo Fairy Ball (http://city-sentinel.com/?p=1541) set for this coming Saturday.

http://city-sentinel.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/ENT.Paseo-16-Rosebud-Fairychild.jpg

Anyway, you might want to bookmark it's home page and check there for stories to get a different slant on news of the center city and perhaps some stories not covered elsewhere.

Just the facts
08-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Doug, I added them to my favorites and I hope they are successful. As is now clearly evident, OKC doesn't have enough print media news outlets. However, they will need to get better because I just read the story about the streetcar system and it was actually painful to read; grammar, spelling, and factual errors galore.

Here is the story: http://city-sentinel.com/?p=1382

metro
08-04-2011, 10:02 AM
I subscribe to their print version. I enjoy the lcal inner city articles the others don't provide.

metro
08-04-2011, 10:03 AM
Doug, I added them to my favorites and I hope they are successful. As is now clearly evident, OKC doesn't have enough print media news outlets. However, they will need to get better because I just read the story about the streetcar system and it was actually painful to read; grammar, spelling, and factual errors galore.

Here is the story: http://city-sentinel.com/?p=1382

They've been around a long time, formerly were MidCity Advocate up until 3-4 years ago. Almost any small paper has lots of grammar issues.

Spartan
08-04-2011, 12:50 PM
They're usually not that bad with typos, but it's not like reading the Gazette, which really sets the standard in my mind. The Joke has its fair share of typos too, however. I just never read the articles actually intended for morons, like the daily meth lab explosion article on the front page.

The funny thing is that they have a bizarre mix on their staff. Patrick McGuigan is an extreme right-wing guy who has long been a journalist, and runs CapitolBeatOK, and has been involved in other right-wing news outlets. But as far as I am concerned, I have seen him do many fair articles and the man seems to be a very ethical journalist. Someone else told me that there is another writer there, or was I forget, who is some leader of the local gay community and majorly liberal, which probably goes without saying. So it's kind of nice to see these folks working in concert and all adhering to ethical journalism standards, which we know the Dark Tower doesn't do.

But I must say I only read their paper when I go eat at Irma's, which has a large complimentary stack of them.

benman
08-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Great story. I love to see that our state is in the lead of saying "no thanks" to all the big government b.s.
Funny thing is that most people would consider OK, MO, TX, GA, MT, and TN as states with a bunch of hicks and idiots. I would say we are in prett good company.

Spartan
08-04-2011, 03:43 PM
Great story. I love to see that our state is in the lead of saying "no thanks" to all the big government b.s.
Funny thing is that most people would consider OK, MO, TX, GA, MT, and TN as states with a bunch of hicks and idiots. I would say we are in prett good company.

Because they are?

benman
08-04-2011, 05:17 PM
Because they are?

Um no, they are not. They have citizens who actually know the direction America SHOULD be headed (unlike all the liberals like yourself) ;)

SkyWestOKC
08-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Please keep the politics out of here. Use the Politics forum please. Thank you.

windowphobe
08-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Maybe I'm weird, but I kick $10 into the Sentinel's kitty every summer.

soonerguru
08-05-2011, 11:42 PM

Good point. You know, Oklahoma doesn't need Tinker, The FAA, Fort Sill, The Army Ammunition Plant, the Post Office, Federal Funding for police officers, the Social Security office, federal funding for highways and a RIVER NAVIGATION SYSTEM, The Storm Prediction Center, The National Weather Service, and all that other "big government bs."

It's a good thing that we all get paid by free enterprise, Devon Energy, and Chesapeake.

Just an FYI, but Oklahoma is one of the biggest recipients of "big government bs" of any state in the union, as are the other states you mention. But you're right, we should tell the Air Force to F Off and close Tinker, cuz OKC would be just fine without it. I'm sure the Enid Chamber of Commerce is ready to tell Vance AFB to relocate and "take their government bs with them." And I'm sure Altus would continue to thrive as a community without Altus AFB.

The boaters, retirees and vacationers of Oklahoma could sure do without that meddling government agency Corps of Engineers. Who needs those damn lakes? And why would we want a freaking wildlife refuge and national forest? This government interference is beyond the pale! Sheer tyranny (as Rand Paul would remind us)! Why can't we just go back to the days when the government gave away free land and called it a state?....oh wait.

And our farmers should just tell the government to F Off with all the farm supports. And the 35 to 40 percent of Oklahomans who receive either federal health subsidy or food stamps should just starve or leave. We should send all the money to Pennsylvania or something.

What you're spouting isn't ideology, it's idiocy. This reminds me of the tea partiers crashing those congressional town halls who showed up to complain about government health care who saw no irony in their happy use of Medicare and Social Security (and veteran's benefits, etc.).

Let me guess: you have a "Don't Tread on Me" banner on your truck! LOL. Seriously, though, it's comments like these that support Spartan's view that we live in the capital of dumbfukistan.

MikeOKC
08-06-2011, 12:27 AM
Good point. You know, Oklahoma doesn't need Tinker, The FAA, Fort Sill, The Army Ammunition Plant, the Post Office, Federal Funding for police officers, the Social Security office, federal funding for highways and a RIVER NAVIGATION SYSTEM, The Storm Prediction Center, The National Weather Service, and all that other "big government bs."

It's a good thing that we all get paid by free enterprise, Devon Energy, and Chesapeake.

Just an FYI, but Oklahoma is one of the biggest recipients of "big government bs" of any state in the union, as are the other states you mention. But you're right, we should tell the Air Force to F Off and close Tinker, cuz OKC would be just fine without it. I'm sure the Enid Chamber of Commerce is ready to tell Vance AFB to relocate and "take their government bs with them." And I'm sure Altus would continue to thrive as a community without Altus AFB.

The boaters, retirees and vacationers of Oklahoma could sure do without that meddling government agency Corps of Engineers. Who needs those damn lakes? And why would we want a freaking wildlife refuge and national forest? This government interference is beyond the pale! Sheer tyranny (as Rand Paul would remind us)! Why can't we just go back to the days when the government gave away free land and called it a state?....oh wait.

And our farmers should just tell the government to F Off with all the farm supports. And the 35 to 40 percent of Oklahomans who receive either federal health subsidy or food stamps should just starve or leave. We should send all the money to Pennsylvania or something.

What you're spouting isn't ideology, it's idiocy. This reminds me of the tea partiers crashing those congressional town halls who showed up to complain about government health care who saw no irony in their happy use of Medicare and Social Security (and veteran's benefits, etc.).

Let me guess: you have a "Don't Tread on Me" banner on your truck! LOL. Seriously, though, it's comments like these that support Spartan's view that we live in the capital of dumbfukistan.

Good points all. The revolving door between corporate America and that "big government BS" is also as strong as ever. A Republican president will make sure someone like AM will be the Secretary of Energy. Oh, don't pay attention to the conflict of interest! They walk out of K Street or the government right back into the sector they were regulating (after the cooling off period). What a joke on the American people. Big Business LOVES Big Government. They feed at its trough.

Larry OKC
08-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Good for them. While still not much content, I have seen steady improvement. Noticed in a recent one that they won 2nd place award of some sort from the Society of Professional Journalists (or something like that).

On edit, here it is:

The City Sentinel wins honors from Society of Professional Journalists; Community publication wins second in Best Newspaper category

Also, thanks Doug for the link, have them bookmarked!

bornhere
08-12-2011, 09:13 PM
When it was the Mid-City Advocate, I read it every week for the city hall coverage. It doesn't seem to as focused on that as it once was, though.