View Full Version : Good things that have happened due to OKCTalk

Pete
08-02-2011, 09:11 PM
So, I started a "why are people so angry" thread that turned out to be pretty interesting. But it also somewhat furthered an at least somewhat cynical view: that people *are* angry and rude to each other on Internet forums.

While that is certainly true, let us now look at this from the glass-half-full perspective.

I'll lead-off:

I've connected with a bunch of people that I hadn't spoken to for years.
I've met a ton of new people (some in person) that I really like and respect.
We helped bring a Russian kid to Oklahoma and have a life-changing experience.
There is an active group from the nostalgia board that meets frequently.
I know of two posters that have reached out to help another without ever mentioning it here (and I'm sure there have been lots more of these incidences).
Several people have become active in local causes as a result of interacting here.
I get hundreds (literally!) of kind messages and comments thanking me for the site and telling me how much it is enjoyed.

That's just for starters. Would love for others to add things as well.

Midtowner
08-02-2011, 09:30 PM
Thanks for supporting the site, Pete.

venture
08-02-2011, 09:32 PM
Sites like these are rare. Back in my hometown there is a similar forum, but it is ripe with negativity and a board admin that is just rude to everyone. It is amazing what a site like this can do. It has definitely informed all of us about our community in more ways than we could ever hope for from the local media and such.

Spartan
08-02-2011, 11:00 PM
I wonder how much of a progressive influence there would be in OKC if it weren't for this forum.

ljbab728
08-02-2011, 11:02 PM
I wonder how much of a progressive influence there would be in OKC if it weren't for this forum.

I think it certainly puts some needed pressure in some areas.

Pete
08-02-2011, 11:08 PM
For better or worse, what is posted here is seen by lots of people in town.

I know this because I occasionally get a warning shot across the bow from powerful people and organizations that I had no idea were even aware of us.

And I have to say, there are plenty of posters here that are smart and forward thinking. I've learned a lot.

Sometimes that is lost in the silliness.

Spartan
08-02-2011, 11:22 PM
If someone who is "powerful" and "influential" is concerned about an online message board, that is either pathetic for them, or impressive for this place.

cameron_405
08-03-2011, 12:16 AM
"...I've learned a lot.

Sometimes that is lost in the silliness..."

...if I ain't learnin', I ain't living. Regarding the forum, "veni, vidi, velcro."

SoonerQueen
08-03-2011, 12:45 AM
It's a great way to keep up to date on local things. Most of the posters here seem pretty nice.I enjoy posting here.

Thunder
08-03-2011, 03:59 AM
Pete, you forgot to add how this forum save lives. :-)

It has become a lifeline for many people here.

okcisok
08-03-2011, 07:34 AM
Pete, I'm a relative newcomer to this forum but have really enjoyed it. Thanks for all you do. It's a great place to find out most anything about OKC. New happenings, old memories, city planning, etc. I think most here feel comfortable asking and telling. Keep up the good work!

OKCTalker
08-03-2011, 09:29 AM
I like how this forum helps newcomers to OKC better learn the "lay of the land." If I was moving to another place, I'd sure like to find a board like this.

MadMonk
08-03-2011, 09:48 AM
More than anything else, I think I like how I often hear of things going on around the city that I might not have known about otherwise, and usually before I would have heard it from any other source. On many occasions my wife begins talking to me about something that's new news to her, but I've already read about it on OKCTalk. It makes me appear to be very "in the know". :smile:

Pete
08-03-2011, 09:58 AM
If someone who is "powerful" and "influential" is concerned about an online message board, that is either pathetic for them, or impressive for this place.

It also underscores that there aren't a lot of places for people in Oklahoma to voice opinion; at least on most the subjects discussed here. There are blogs and such but some get nervous when there is an entire dialog around something they don't agree with or feel threatened by. And to be fair, people frequently post something incorrect or untrue and you can't blame someone for not wanting that out there.

To look at this more positively... How many times has a development, restaurant or business been discussed here only to draw in the owner, architect or an employee or two? Also, when something gets posted without permission, I hear about it almost immediately.

Not to blow my own horn, but haven't you guys noticed that I get a lot of solid, often advance, information? That I post lots of current photos even though I live in California? How I post site plans and other things you can't find on the 'net? I sometimes can't say too much without making it obvious where I am getting my info. All that stuff comes to from those that visit the site but don't want to be identified.

At any given point we have multiple times the 'guests' as we do registered members viewing the boards. It seems just about everyone that is out there in the public eye finds their way here eventually.

Steve
08-03-2011, 10:23 AM
So, I started a "why are people so angry" thread that turned out to be pretty interesting. But it also somewhat furthered an at least somewhat cynical view: that people *are* angry and rude to each other on Internet forums.

While that is certainly true, let us now look at this from the glass-half-full perspective.

I'll lead-off:

I've connected with a bunch of people that I hadn't spoken to for years.
I've met a ton of new people (some in person) that I really like and respect.
We helped bring a Russian kid to Oklahoma and have a life-changing experience.
There is an active group from the nostalgia board that meets frequently.
I know of two posters that have reached out to help another without ever mentioning it here (and I'm sure there have been lots more of these incidences).
Several people have become active in local causes as a result of interacting here.
I get hundreds (literally!) of kind messages and comments thanking me for the site and telling me how much it is enjoyed.

That's just for starters. Would love for others to add things as well.

Yeah, I agree with you Pete. As I said in a thread last night, it really is just a minority of posters who are seen as having this negative tone. It's easy to take it all out of perspective. Keep in mind, there is one frequent, high profile poster who went to great lengths to diminish and mock the "Russian Sam" visit, and it's things like this (and the inability of the rock throwers to fade any questions about their own comments, activity) that drove me to go off the board for a few months. I agree a great many things have been accomplished thanks to OKC Talk, and at the end of the day one must realize a majority of the regular visitors to this site have a good idea which posters are credible, which ones aren't, and which ones are overly condescending, etc.
OKC Talk serves as the ultimate counter-balance to any effort to squash public discussions, etc. And that contribution to the community is priceless.

RadicalModerate
08-03-2011, 10:28 AM
I would have to cite your recent appeal to "Kindness" (and the value thereof).

sheboner
08-03-2011, 10:31 AM
Last October I found out that I would be moving here. I poured over your archives and kept up with current events. When I got here I knew more than my in-laws who have lived here since 1991. I LOVE this place! I feel like I know some of you guys and you have no idea who I am. Thanks for the help!

MikeLucky
08-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Last October I found out that I would be moving here. I poured over your archives and kept up with current events. When I got here I knew more than my in-laws who have lived here since 1991. I LOVE this place! I feel like I know some of you guys and you have no idea who I am. Thanks for the help!

I would like to officially say that my favorite thing about the OKCTalk board is your user name. Bravo! :congrats:

MikeOKC
08-03-2011, 12:47 PM
Pete, Thanks for all that you continue to do. This thread is an equalizer of sorts to the other thread about the anger. A lot of good things happen here - even when we don't all disagree and even disagree with a passion that sometimes gets equated with "anger," as there's a big difference. We should be able to disagree and at the end of the day, be glad that those here are, by and large, good and caring citizens who show that simply by being here. Yes, there are a few that consistently throw out the one-liners and seem to have an undercurrent of anger that sometimes is only showing their lack of maturity. But truly - this forum is much bigger than the anger and silliness and you said it all so well. Thanks again.

PennyQuilts
08-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Pete, I want to thank you for the forum, too. When I was in exile on the East Coast, it was a fantastic way to keep up with what was going on in my hometown. Even though I'm back, it is still one of the best ways to keep up with civic events and local political issues.

dmoor82
08-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Pete,before I joined this site I was a member of OKMet.org and had no intention of joining OKCTalk,but I eventually had too!I am glad I did join this fine site and have seen it become Oklahoma's finest Urban/chat forum,Thanks to YOU!I'm glad we have people like Nick,Doug,Steve and all others who contribute so much insight and knowledge to this site,it is now my Homepage and is The First thing I see when I get on The Internet!

WilliamTell
08-07-2011, 05:25 AM
Personally Ive found a lot of good restaurants that I wouldn't of necessarily tried and events that were happening that i wouldn't of know about if i didn't visit this site.

bucktalk
08-07-2011, 07:50 AM
I would have never thought I would come to OKCTalk to start my day and end my day. There many, many benefits to OKCTalk that I will not list at this point. I hope the dialog will always be civil and that respect for each others various opinions will prevail.