View Full Version : Alternatives to cox?

BDK
08-01-2011, 09:04 AM
So as i'm on the phone with cox confirming the time of my service call, the operator informs me that the technician came by and no one was home. This supposedly occurred right when I placed the call to cox from my home. The operator was curt and unapologetic, and now i'm waiting on a late rescheduling call from a technician. Anyone have any experience with high speed internet with someone other than cox? I'm getting ready to vote with my dollar here.

Jim Kyle
08-01-2011, 09:34 AM
Depends on how much speed you want; I've been on AT&T for more than 9 years now and the performance is a bit mixed. Sometimes it works just fine, and at other times the connection is more than a bit flaky. In that 9 years I've averaged less than one service call per year. The last two got a tech here within 24 hours of my reporting the problem, but the one before that took a week to get my service restored. Many folk report a slowing of connection speed, as they ramp up Uverse; I've seen a bit of that but nothing critical yet.

cameron_405
08-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Depends on how much speed you want; I've been on AT&T for more than 9 years now and the performance is a bit mixed. Sometimes it works just fine, and at other times the connection is more than a bit flaky. In that 9 years I've averaged less than one service call per year. The last two got a tech here within 24 hours of my reporting the problem, but the one before that took a week to get my service restored. Many folk report a slowing of connection speed, as they ramp up Uverse; I've seen a bit of that but nothing critical yet.

...have had ATT's U-Verse (U450) for nearly three years, requiring only one in-house service call. I haven't noticed any 'bottlenecking' on the internet side, but I'm not a heavy media streamer. I would've switched to ATT sooner, but U-Verse wasn't available in my immediate vicinity (such is the case for quite a few areas, though roll-out is coming along).

ATT is worth a look, in my opinion.

Just the facts
08-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Try Clear.

www.clear.com

Bostonfan
08-01-2011, 10:54 AM
I'm very interested in Uverse but it's not available where I live. They won't say how long it will be or even tell me if they are trying to get it installed in my area. Anyone have the inside scoop on availability time to certain areas of town?

I've had ATT internet for years and have had very few problems.

RadicalModerate
08-01-2011, 12:02 PM
We have been with Cox Communications for well over a decade. We got with them as soon as they extended their services to the Apartment Complex in which we lived way back when (mostly to be able to dump the unbelievably slow Internet Connection provided by the local phone company).

(Back then, it was even slower than that dial-up provided by a local, independent phone company out in the Boonies . . . The numbers 27?(OKC) as compared to 48? (Jones/Choctaw) pop into the mind . . .)

When we moved, the first thing we did was get on the "waiting list" for Cox digital phone service in our neighborhood.

Over the years, we have had mostly Excellent service in terms of both on-the-phone assistance and service in the field (that is, at the house). In fact, the installers who have visited a time or two have been some of the nicest, most professional folks one could hope for. (Of course there were the rare EXCEPTIONS to that rule of thumb, but I prefer not to think about them--it makes me angry... =)

In any case . . . I once had the opportunity to vent a little at the "surly"-(not) service rep on the phone about the fact that Cox is always throwing out "Deal Bait" for new subscribers but never any sort of fish in the direction of LOYAL, LONG-TERM, CUSTOMERS. He said that there was some sort of "Retention Program" for folks such as my wife and I, but I don't know if you have to threaten to quit before that program kicks in. I think--as much revenue as Cox is pulling in--that they should periodically, automatically give The Faithful a BIG, automatic break.

You know . . . Like three months for free or something.

Oh: I've looked at Alternatives . . . But even with the disrepect for LONG TERM LOYAL CUSTOMERS Cox seems to have the best deal around for at-home services.

BUT IT COULD BE BETTER (ref. notes, above).

BTW, BDK: "Home Movies" is now streaming on Netflix.

Roadhawg
08-01-2011, 12:12 PM
I use AT&T for my internet and haven't had any problem with them.

RadicalModerate
08-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Maybe so . . . But I still have a problem with the curt, surly, rude, snide, monopolistic, non-responsive and cavallier manner in which my complaints about their billing for long distance service (when I didn't even make any long distance calls) were handled in the past.

Of course, that was then and this is now.
(Like, WAY back not now . . .)

Jim Kyle
08-01-2011, 03:24 PM
...have had ATT's U-Verse (U450) for nearly three years, requiring only one in-house service call.I've been considering Uverse now that it's available in my location, but I need to know two things about it before pursuing it actively. First, will the Uverse phone service support a fax machine? I remember that digital exchanges, when they first came into use back in the 90s, were incompatible with modems -- and fax still relies on the modem approach. Secondly, does Uverse permit use of private servers? My ADSL is a business-grade account, although only a 1.5 mbit/sec line, and I maintain a secure private FTP server to communicate with my clients, who upload multi-gigabyte databases for me to repair. The much faster Uverse service would be a definite boon, and unlike my DirecTV dish would not be blocked during T-storms, but I can't afford to lose the fax line or the FTP server. It's the server question that keeps me from considering Cox.

BDK
08-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Okay, so I finally went to their store after no service call. They wanted to charge over $100.00 for basic internet and television. After a bit of brinksmanship and my suggestion to close the account, I got them to lower the price by $30.00 per month. I felt bad for being terse with the woman helping me, as it was obviously not her fault for the prior difficulty, but it's a shame that you have to threaten to quit using their product to get anything approaching service.

And thanks for the heads-up moderate. I'd check it out on netflix, but I invested in the complete series box set a while back.

Thunder
08-01-2011, 05:10 PM
You shouldn't feel bad about the woman helping you. I'm sure you were nice to her and made it clear that you were not directly angry at her as she is just doing her job within her limitations. Yes, companies such as Cox Communications can survive with lowered prices, but they do not announce it. Its like they know the baseline on a price to stay afloat, then another line for more profits, and another line to maximize the profits...kinda like taking advantage of the people. They have no problem removing one line down when threatened with account closure. Did I type that clearly? It basically doesn't harm them at all and its a win-win, even though they lose the extra profits.

If you have a cell phone (now be smart, get an Android phone from Sprint) with 4G and WiFi capabilities, then you do not need Internet from Cox. If you know how to root/hack the phone, you can open WiFi on the phone without paying Sprint $30 that way you can allow your computer to connect to the phone. If you live in an area with 4G, then you will be blown away at the speed (faster than Cox). You can either wireless or USB-tether the comp to the phone. Now, make sure you are not 'roaming' away from Sprint network...meaning...if you are solidly on Sprint's network at your home, then you should be fine with unlimited usage.

Hondo1
08-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Ha ha, having some service and rate-increase issues with AT&T, I have been wondering if Cox would be a better alternative. Seems they both operate from the same play book.

okcisok
08-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Hondo1, I've called ATT three or four times in the past few years and just ask for a lower rate. Each time they were willing and able to lower our bill. Both for the regular phone service and the internet service. When we first signed up for their internet service we got a intro rate for one year. When that expired and we notice a higher charge on our bill we called and by golly they lowered it back to the intro rate. Sometimes all you have to do is ask. It's worth a shot.

bluedogok
08-02-2011, 09:15 PM
I had Sprint Broadband Direct fixed wireless when I lived in OKC and it was great, faster than cable and at the time DSL was not available in my area (NW 50th & Independence). It was shut down a few years ago, replaced by Clear Wi-Max for the most part I guess since Sprint is a big shareholder.

Achilleslastand
08-02-2011, 11:59 PM
Hondo1, I've called ATT three or four times in the past few years and just ask for a lower rate. Each time they were willing and able to lower our bill. Both for the regular phone service and the internet service. When we first signed up for their internet service we got a intro rate for one year. When that expired and we notice a higher charge on our bill we called and by golly they lowered it back to the intro rate. Sometimes all you have to do is ask. It's worth a shot.

True.....Everytime time my special rate on the internet goes up i call ATT retention dept and raise a little cain to get it lowered.
Gotta love that around 20% of the bill is taxes,fees etc.