View Full Version : Electric bill ... OMG!

sacolton
08-01-2011, 07:17 AM
$422 for the month of July to keep my 2,219 sq. ft home cool. I need to do the OG&E average plan!

BBatesokc
08-01-2011, 07:26 AM
$422 for the month of July to keep my 2,219 sq. ft home cool. I need to do the OG&E average plan!

I highly recommend it. Our friends with homes from your size up to 3,500 square feet are seeing the same totals. One friend with a 5,200 square foot home received a bill for $3,300 for one month!

Our average billing is very reasonable and I'm sitting at 72 degrees all summer.

I know someone else that opted into that plan where you avoid using electricity form 2pm - 7pm and their bill is actually now going down. But that only works for those whose schedules allow.

ctchandler
08-01-2011, 07:51 AM
Since I am retired, I like the average plan but when I was working, we preferred the high summer payments and the very low fall/winter payments. The fall surplus was like a savings account for our Christmas spending. Now, on a fixed income, averaging makes it easier to budget. I use ONG's averaging option as well.
C. T.

Thunder
08-01-2011, 08:20 AM
I don't understand why there are people out there not smart enough to get on the average plan in the first place. There is even a program that does a fixed price monthly. There are options.... Be smart, people.

PennyQuilts
08-01-2011, 08:25 AM
I don't understand why there are people out there not smart enough to get on the average plan in the first place. There is even a program that does a fixed price monthly. There are options.... Be smart, people.

I never wanted to do that, Thunder, because the high bills in the summer keep me thinking about what I am using and inspire me to not waste energy. That is probably a product of being raised by depression era grandparents and living through the energy crisis back in Carter's Day.

I've always used it the way ctchandler did - for money in the bank coming up to winter. Back when I had ONG, that worked out well because the energy costs alternated. Now that I am propane, I buy in the summer when it is sometimes cheaper so I'm getting hit all at once. I don't mind, though. We budget for it and then save over the wintertime on fuel costs.

Thunder
08-01-2011, 08:28 AM
Penny, you can still do the same while on the average plan and watch it go down.

BBatesokc
08-01-2011, 08:28 AM

Has nothing to do with being "smart enough." There are options available that everyone should be aware of, but in the end you basically pay the same amount during a 12 month cycle. The upside to non-averaged plans is you only pay for what you use, when you use it. The downside is that you can get sticker shock when your bill arrives. The upside to average billing is you pay the same year round so you can budget accordingly. The downside though is that you get no relief in the winter months. Also, if you go crazy with the electric because you have a fixed rate, there is a very good chance your fixed rate will increase the next year.

I personally wish my home schedule was such that I could do the Smart Grid pricing plan and pay very little a majority of the time a an increase during peak hours. But I tend to be home most of the day.

PennyQuilts
08-01-2011, 08:29 AM
Penny, you can still do the same while on the average plan and watch it go down.

I know me - I am likely to ignore what I'm using if I am not thinking it is going to cost money. I don't think I am Scottish but I share their "frugal" stereotypical traits. =)

MadMonk
08-01-2011, 08:30 AM
Nah, I'm like C.T. I pay for my high usage in the summer and enjoy the next-to-nothing bills in the winter.

Thunder
08-01-2011, 08:33 AM
MadMonk, but gas will offset that.... During the Winter, the price of gas will...kaboom. So, this is not a win-win situation. Stick to average or fixed plan and budget it month-to-month. Extras each month goes toward Christmas shopping.

BBatesokc
08-01-2011, 08:34 AM
MadMonk, but gas will offset that.... During the Winter, the price of gas will...kaboom. So, this is not a win-win situation. Stick to average or fixed plan and budget it month-to-month. Extras each month goes toward Christmas shopping.

Not true Thunder. Everywhere I have lived my gas bills never reached anywhere near my electric bills.

Thunder
08-01-2011, 08:36 AM
Not true Thunder. Everywhere I have lived my gas bills never reached anywhere near my electric bills.

Gas bills was a killer at Sunnyview. :-(

venture
08-01-2011, 09:01 AM
I've been on the smart rate plan for over a year now, didn't really mind it. It was nice being able to track energy use and keep the bill lower. However, being home-based and having it as hot as it is this summer...had to go to average monthly billing. Next year will probably work it out to replace the windows and insulation, so that should allow me to switch back.

ou48A
08-01-2011, 09:34 AM
Temp set on 71 or wherever I feel comfortable.
I have no NG bill.
My electrical bill was $185.

I owe this to the new foam insulation and my new geothermal heat and air unit.
I have also planted shade trees that are finally helping just a little.
+ Due to new EPA regulations our electrical rates will likely be going up several times in the next few years.
It would be a good idea to get as prepared as you can.

Looks like I picked a good year to go Geothermal

PennyQuilts
08-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Temp set on 71 or wherever I feel comfortable.
I have no NG bill.
My electrical bill was $185.

I owe this to the new foam insulation and my new geothermal heat and air unit.
I have also planted shade trees that are finally helping just a little.
+ Due to new EPA regulations our electrical rates will likely be going up several times in the next few years.

Looks like I picked a good year to go Geothermal

If we were building, that is exactly what've talked about doing.

venture
08-01-2011, 09:55 AM

Regardless of the EPA, the rates will be going up soon.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9OPCFE00.htm

Residential customers would pay about $6.50 more a month under a proposed rate increase by Oklahoma Gas and Electric Co.

Officials announced Thursday that they're asking the Oklahoma Corporation Commission for a $73 million annual rate increase to recover the costs of nearly $500 million in new investments made recently. Oklahoma Gas is a unit of OGE Energy Corp.

MadMonk
08-01-2011, 10:00 AM
LOL, no. My gas bill, even in the dead of winter, is nowhere near what electric costs. Plus I use my fireplace to good effect as well (wood is cheap!).

ou48A
08-01-2011, 10:06 AM
I know me - I am likely to ignore what I'm using if I am not thinking it is going to cost money. I don't think I am Scottish but I share their "frugal" stereotypical traits. =)

I am Scottish and have been described as being frugal......
One of my sisters just arrived in northern Scotland this morning. The weather there is cool to cold

ou48A
08-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Regardless of the EPA, the rates will be going up soon.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9OPCFE00.htm

^This is true but you can expect several more rate hikes in the coming years to help cover EPA regulations.

Just the facts
08-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Now I feel like a genius for starting the switch to solar. I will lock-in my current electric bill for the next 20 years, and sell the surplus back to the electric company, so people like you can figure out the best way to pay for it.

ou48A
08-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Now I feel like a genius for starting the switch to solar. I will lock-in my current electric bill for the next 20 years, and sell the surplus back to the electric company, so people like you can figure out the best way to pay for it.

What is your expected pay off date with solar?
With my geothermal unit the payoff is expected to be in the 5 to 6 year range but sooner if electrical rates go up and I expect they will.

betts
08-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Build block + geothermal: $185 for 3500 square feet. I keep the house at 75 during the day (and it's 68 on the first two floors with the AC turned off) and 70 at night. At my old house, the electric bill would have been about $1,500 with 4500 square feet and a pool. When I said I am saving $30,000+ a year living downtown I wasn't kidding.

cameron_405
08-01-2011, 10:31 AM
With my geothermal unit the payoff is expected to be in the 5 to 6 year range but sooner if electrical rates go up and I expect they will.

...EROI, an oft-overlooked component when 'upgrading'.

ctchandler
08-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Thunder, I just changed mine to averaging a few years ago. And the drop in the electric bill starting in September was a lot more than the increase in the gas bill. I just decided since I am retired it would be better to manage my monthly withdrawal amount (from my retirement funds) if it was averaged, so I changed it in 2004, the year I retired.
C. T.

Just the facts
08-01-2011, 11:08 AM

There is no pay-off date. It is a leased system. $0 to install, and $0 to maintain. Instead of paying the electric company a payment is sent to the solar company that equals the average of the last 3 years electric bills. The bill never goes up for 20 years. I have not installed it yet though. I am waiting for the company to call me back to set up a time for them to come out and do the preliminary analysis.

OKCisOK4me
08-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Last month my bill was $55. Granted I live in a 2 bed, 1-bath condo, but still... SURPRISED ME! (average monthly billing)

BBatesokc
08-01-2011, 11:31 AM
I looked into this before (1-2 years ago), but when I did there is/was a set monthly lease rate based on your last 3 years of electric bills. This was a deal breaker for me. My set monthly electric has gone down the last two years, not up, and the thought of solar panels on my roof was enough to make me cringe. There was also lots of small print stating they were not responsible for leaks in my roof caused by the panels, my homeowners insurance had to cover any damage and if my roof needed replacement (which it would within the life of the panels/lease) they didn't cover removal and reinstalling of the panels. Lastly, a realtor friend said unless we planned to stay in our house a very long time (which we don't), the panels can often hurt the sell of the house except to a small group of people who like the idea. But its certainly an option for some people.

Just the facts
08-01-2011, 11:52 AM
I looked into this before (1-2 years ago), but when I did there is/was a set monthly lease rate based on your last 3 years of electric bills. This was a deal breaker for me. My set monthly electric has gone down the last two years, not up, and the thought of solar panels on my roof was enough to make me cringe. There was also lots of small print stating they were not responsible for leaks in my roof caused by the panels, my homeowners insurance had to cover any damage and if my roof needed replacement (which it would within the life of the panels/lease) they didn't cover removal and reinstalling of the panels. Lastly, a realtor friend said unless we planned to stay in our house a very long time (which we don't), the panels can often hurt the sell of the house except to a small group of people who like the idea. But its certainly an option for some people.

About 75% of what you said is no longer a problem. You should look into it again.

BBatesokc
08-01-2011, 12:05 PM
About 75% of what you said is no longer a problem. You should look into it again.

Nah, we are moving most likely next year and the two neighborhoods we've looked at have HOA's and frown on solar panels. If we end up building (which is a possibility) then I may look at it again, because if we build we are going 'modern' and the panels could probably be incorporated into the look.

Just the facts
08-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Nah, we are moving most likely next year and the two neighborhoods we've looked at have HOA's and frown on solar panels. If we end up building (which is a possibility) then I may look at it again, because if we build we are going 'modern' and the panels could probably be incorporated into the look.

I checked with my local electric company and they said state law prevents homeowners associations from prohibiting anything solar. The guy at the electric company told me I could cover every square inch of my yard is solar panels and there is nothing the HOA can do about it. Not sure if that applies to Oklahoma or not so you would have to check for yourself. The company I contacted will also move the system to your new home for free and repair the roof where the system was removed.

BBatesokc
08-01-2011, 01:44 PM
I checked with my local electric company and they said state law prevents homeowners associations from prohibiting anything solar. The guy at the electric company told me I could cover every square inch of my yard is solar panels and there is nothing the HOA can do about it. Not sure if that applies to Oklahoma or not so you would have to check for yourself. The company I contacted will also move the system to your new home for free and repair the roof where the system was removed.

I may have to get some current info. I recall the home owner's or some other type of historical group stating solar panels could not be visible from the street or alter the historic look of the homes.

Just the facts
08-01-2011, 01:54 PM
I may have to get some current info. I recall the home owner's or some other type of historical group stating solar panels could not be visible from the street or alter the historic look of the homes.

I think the new rule now is, "Green means Go".

earlywinegareth
08-09-2011, 03:23 PM
The people I know with sky-high bills keep the thermostat down about 68. One of my coworkers complains she has to wear a sweater and sleep under a blanket since her husband insists on keeping their house like a meat locker. Mine is at 78 and we are comfortable. Also be sure to change those filters. A dirty clogged filter slows the airflow and makes the system less efficient.

venture
08-09-2011, 05:12 PM
I usually keep mine at 74, except from 2 to 7pm when it is at 78 to 80. I went to the average billing, but my rates are still off of the smart grid pricing. Without the averaging my bill would have been around $300, but instead it is in the low 100s. So I'm not going to complain. Especially with how insane this summer has been.

ctchandler
08-09-2011, 06:15 PM
If you decide to build, consider geothermal. My neighbor did that and his bills are considerably lower. It's expensive but check on the payback, if you are going to move every five years, it probably doesn't pay. There is no HOA that can whine about it since it's below ground.
C. T.

betts
08-09-2011, 06:51 PM
Not only geothermal. If I were to build again here in Oklahoma, I'd definitely use build-block. My utility bills have been outstanding, and I don't even have the air conditioning on half the day. I get a break on my homeowner's insurance as well.

bluedogok
08-09-2011, 07:35 PM
The people I know with sky-high bills keep the thermostat down about 68. One of my coworkers complains she has to wear a sweater and sleep under a blanket since her husband insists on keeping their house like a meat locker. Mine is at 78 and we are comfortable. Also be sure to change those filters. A dirty clogged filter slows the airflow and makes the system less efficient.
At 78 I would be sitting here sweating. It is usually about 72-73 when I am home, lower at night with the vents closed in other rooms to feed the master bedroom cold air, the static pressure at the end of the run is pathetic. During the day it is set on 78.