View Full Version : Solar Power

Just the facts
07-27-2011, 08:00 AM
I am in the process of introducing solar power into my home and I have some questions that I can't find answers to. Do we have a resident solar power person on OKCTalk?

I recently bought a solar battery charge at Harbor Freight for $8. The solar panel is about the size of 2 cell phones. It recharges 2 AA batteries or 1 9-volt battery at a time. I have used it to directly power a radio that normally requires 6 D size batteries (that is probably the maximum it will do because I could detect the power fluctuation). I have also used it to power a weather radio that only use two AA batteries and it works perfect.

I already own a deep-cycle marine battery, power inverter, and cigarette light adapter cables. I am buying a set of 45 watt solar panels next month to recharge the battery. I have seen where people combine solar panels to achieve more recharging volts. My question is do the solar panels have to be the same or are there any compatibility issues. Can I buy 3 different panels from different manufactures all at different watts and put them together? Also, how does the regulator work?

HewenttoJared
07-27-2011, 09:34 AM
These guys helped one of my old roommates through a similar issue with combining wind and PV generators.

http://www.solarpowerforum.net/forumVB/solar-energy/

Ask them!

Just the facts
07-27-2011, 10:15 AM
Thanks HWTJ - I'll check it out. It looks like it is about $20,000 to convert the whole house to solar with grid parity (so I can sell electricity back to the electric company). At current rates it would pay for itself in just over 4 years but my guess is electricity will become hard to get in the near future - not because of high prices but because of the impending money shortage. My wife wants a $30,000 swiming pool but I think the solar panels are a far better use of the money. I love the fact that I have already established communications independence with the small solar panel I already have. With the panels I buy next month I will be able to power a 24 inch LCD TV, a couple of CFL bulbs, and a fan for over 20 hours on a single charge.

Plus, no more candles when the power goes out.

HewenttoJared
07-27-2011, 10:25 AM
Pools are a pain to maintain anyways.

flintysooner
07-27-2011, 10:29 AM
Used to be a program where you could lease a system. I think this may be what I remember: http://www.citizenre.com/

rcjunkie
08-01-2011, 05:03 AM
Pools are a pain to maintain anyways.

Not if you do like I did and install a salt water pool, very low maintenance.

Just the facts
08-01-2011, 06:52 AM
Used to be a program where you could lease a system. I think this may be what I remember: http://www.citizenre.com/

I contacted them and am waiting to hear back. I was surprised that the wife was receptive to the idea. I checked with our local electric company and they are required to buy the extra electricity produced and they even told me that state law prohibits my homeowners association from stopping me. I also have 3 neighbors who are interested in the idea. There is no out of pocket cost to me and I can get locked into my current power bill for 20 years (wish I had done this 2 years ago). If we move they will move the system to our new house for free.

flintysooner
09-27-2011, 12:17 PM
Google to finance home solar systems (http://news.yahoo.com/google-finance-home-solar-systems-162811074.html)

Just the facts
09-27-2011, 01:30 PM
Thank you for posting that. I have a 105 amp-hour battery and a 45 watt solar panel setup. I take the battery with me to my son's football practice/game and run an extension cord to a fan that sits right in front of me. I then attach a mistymate hand pump mister to the fan and create my own solar powered air conditioner. I stay about 20 degrees cooler than the people sitting 10 feet away. That one use of solar power alone has created a lot of interest in solar power,and in the last few weeks several of the other parents have bought small solar systems for similar applications.

About 4 weeks ago we were on our way home from dinner and a neighbor sent a text saying the power was out. I told my wife, she means it is out for her, not us. When we got home I pulled the battery out, and pluged in the TV and a CFL lamp. Three hours later the regular power came back on. We never missed a beat. Then the wife asked, how much would it cost to power the whole house full time on solar? That is what I was hoping she would ask.

When people see me with the battery they ask how long it can power the fan, tv, or light. I tell them it is solar, it can power them forever. That is when it hits home for some people.