LOCO LOCO 73442
MANITOU MANITOU 73555
POCASSET POCASSET 73079
TATUMS TATUMS 73487
BOWLEGS BOWLEGS 74830
CROMWELL CROMWELL 74837
MARTIN LUTHER KING JR OKLAHOMA CITY 73111
SAINT LOUIS SAINT LOUIS 74866

If any of these Post Offices close it could be by December. If they do close, the office will be given 60 days notice. Kinda bad if you live in a small town and that's your only place to do your mailing.

bombermwc
07-27-2011, 07:04 AM
I notice they didn't include any OKC ones this time. With the last round, I thought they mentioned the one near 89th and Penn...which I always thought was a weird one to close, especially since it's so new. I think 23rd and Classen was on the last round too. So why did they decide to go the rural route for closures this time?

kevinpate
07-27-2011, 07:05 AM
I notice they didn't include any OKC ones this time. With the last round, I thought they mentioned the one near 89th and Penn...which I always thought was a weird one to close, especially since it's so new. I think 23rd and Classen was on the last round too. So why did they decide to go the rural route for closures this time?

MLK JR (73111) in OKC is on the list

PennyQuilts
07-27-2011, 07:31 AM
Thanks, Soonerqueen. I was wondering if there was a list and this helps.

Just the facts
07-27-2011, 08:37 AM
The solution - tier pricing. Charge people in remote or high cost areas more. Let the cost of the stamp reflect the cost of delivering the mail. A person living in the boondocks shouldn't expect to pay the same amount as a person living within 1 mile of 5,000 other people. Mail a letter from downtown to NWExpwy - 40 cents. Mail a letter from Crossroads Corners, OK to NWExpw - $2. The same thing going the other way. Mail a letter from NWExpwy to Crossroads Corners - still $2. Our system is now is like an airline charging the same price no matter where the passenger is going.

HewenttoJared
07-27-2011, 09:46 AM
The solution - tier pricing. Charge people in remote or high cost areas more. Let the cost of the stamp reflect the cost of delivering the mail. A person living in the boondocks shouldn't expect to pay the same amount as a person living within 1 mile of 5,000 other people. Mail a letter from downtown to NWExpwy - 40 cents. Mail a letter from Crossroads Corners, OK to NWExpw - $2. The same thing going the other way. Mail a letter from NWExpwy to Crossroads Corners - still $2. Our system is now is like an airline charging the same price no matter where the passenger is going.

Do you really want to go down that road for public services? Water, phones, ROADS....You're talking about moving rural America from behind the rest of the nation to living almost as a separate nation.

Just the facts
07-27-2011, 12:09 PM
Do you really want to go down that road for public services? Water, phones, ROADS....You're talking about moving rural America from behind the rest of the nation to living almost as a separate nation.

We do that now anyhow - we just don't charge the users, we charge society as a whole. People choosing an efficient lifestyle are paying for people who choose to live in places that require greater and greater sums of money to support. All services would still be available, the price would just reflect the true cost of providing them. The private sector already does this. Only government chooses to ignore the laws of economics. Try getting 4G cell service in Crossroad Corners, Oklahoma. From the private sector it isn't even available there but if it was a government operation it would be provided and the cost would be passed on to all users, and not the ones generating the extra cost. As for roads, maybe higher property taxes for people in remote areas is in order. 2 miles of pavement in Piedmont cost the same as 2 miles of pavement in the urban core. The difference is the 2 miles of pavement in the urban core will serve 50X as many users, and while it need more repairs, there are still far more people to split the bill with.

Government has strayed too far from economic reality for far too long.

HewenttoJared
07-27-2011, 12:45 PM
I don't think you really understand the consequences of what you are suggesting. Mainland Europe could live that way because of it's population density. So could the US coasts. But here the damage would be extreme enough to completely change everyone who live outside the metro. You know how backwards some parts of the state are. Now imagine them with no clean water, no roads beyond simple bulldozed pathways, and no electricity outside of the few who could afford solar. You think they're ignorant now? It would be horrifying.

Martin
07-27-2011, 12:49 PM
i think tiered pricing based upon shipping endpoints would be too confusing for both usps and for the consumer. -M

OKCisOK4me
07-27-2011, 01:23 PM
Honestly it makes sense. A town I went to high school at in Missouri, population 450, could easily lose a post office. In all reality, they have to shut them down because of the internet. Less and less people are using the mail system. Plus, in this town, no one was against driving 18 miles to the biggest nearest town of 8,000 and there's a post office there.

OKCTalker
07-27-2011, 01:45 PM
The station on 24th between Classen & Western closed three months ago.

PennyQuilts
07-27-2011, 04:14 PM
Wheatland has a tiny postoffice but they don't deliver so the locals all go there to pick up their mail at individual post office boxes. I am not sure how people who can't drive can get their checks and/or presciptions.

Pete
07-27-2011, 04:45 PM
There was an AP article just today that stated the rural population in the U.S. has dropped to 16% and that the trend is accelerating.

It's only going to become more difficult and costly to provide these various services in small towns and rural areas.

Larry OKC
07-27-2011, 09:30 PM
While all aren't going to be replaced, it isn't like folks aren't going to have any service at all if the closest "post office" closes. In Wednesday's Oklahoman...

The Postal Service is hoping to set up “Village Post Offices” at convenience stores and other locations to sell stamps, accept packages and, in some instances, provide post office boxes in many of the affected areas.
The low-activity post offices in rural areas are typically ones that average less than $50 a day in sales, have little foot traffic and require less than two hours of work a day. Most are within five miles of another post office.
Read more: http://newsok.com/postal-service-to-study-closing-100-post-offices-in-oklahoma-mostly-in-rural-areas/article/3588980#ixzz1TMoUON3E

venture
07-28-2011, 12:07 AM
I like the idea of the "village post offices". In a way, they are always like allowing UPS Stores or FedEx Kinkos in allowing mail delivery and such. Heck, the USPS should consider selling post offices to the package delivery companies to operate. It would be a step towards eventual privatization, at least somewhat, of the USPS.

Just the facts
07-28-2011, 07:52 AM
i think tiered pricing based upon shipping endpoints would be too confusing for both usps and for the consumer. -M

Why would it be confusing? The post office, UPS, and FedEx already do it for packages. If a person mailed a letter from home all they need to do is login to the post office web site, put in their zip code and the zip code of the person it is going to, and it will tell them how much it cost. Likewise, if they went into a post office or convience store they could look it up for them. The post office already gives me 4 different prices based on how soon I want it to arrive anyhow.

jn1780
07-28-2011, 08:09 AM
Why would it be confusing? The post office, UPS, and FedEx already do it for packages. If a person mailed a letter from home all they need to do is login to the post office web site, put in their zip code and the zip code of the person it is going to, and it will tell them how much it cost. Likewise, if they went into a post office or convience store they could look it up for them. The post office already gives me 4 different prices based on how soon I want it to arrive anyhow.

Might as well just email the letter or pay your bill online at this point. You mostly just need a place like a convenience store to accept packages. That convenience store can than send some sort of message to a courier to come pick up the packages.

Larry OKC
07-29-2011, 12:42 AM
Course the whole world doesn't have email or internet access in their homes....heck, just read an article in thursday's paper about an Amish woman was critically injured when were horse drawn surrey was blown over by a sudden wind. Who knew we had an Amish "community" of about 300 here in Oklahoma? Anyway, the story mentioned they don't have electricity in their homes (much less computers or internet). An extreme example, but one that shows that there are many people who don't have it. it is easy for us to think that since we have it, that everyone has it (I include myself).

Bunty
07-29-2011, 12:59 AM
I like the idea of the "village post offices". In a way, they are always like allowing UPS Stores or FedEx Kinkos in allowing mail delivery and such. Heck, the USPS should consider selling post offices to the package delivery companies to operate. It would be a step towards eventual privatization, at least somewhat, of the USPS.

At least some of those little towns don't have as much as one private store open, for instance, I think Maramec only has a volunteer fire station and the post office. The rest of its downtown is like a ghost town.

BBatesokc
07-29-2011, 10:44 AM
I'd like to see the post office privatized and all previous employment deals terminated. I think if it was run like a real business that actually needed to make a profit then it might succeed. Start by eliminating most of the current employees - and I say this with a grandfather that was a postman.

Just the facts
07-29-2011, 01:04 PM
Course the whole world doesn't have email or internet access in their homes....heck, just read an article in thursday's paper about an Amish woman was critically injured when were horse drawn surrey was blown over by a sudden wind. Who knew we had an Amish "community" of about 300 here in Oklahoma? Anyway, the story mentioned they don't have electricity in their homes (much less computers or internet). An extreme example, but one that shows that there are many people who don't have it. it is easy for us to think that since we have it, that everyone has it (I include myself).

Mail would still be deliver to the Amish. It would just cost more if they were in a low volume rural area.

Bunty
07-29-2011, 05:00 PM
I'd like to see the post office privatized and all previous employment deals terminated. I think if it was run like a real business that actually needed to make a profit then it might succeed. Start by eliminating most of the current employees - and I say this with a grandfather that was a postman.

Those two things would be difficult to do. Probably privatizing the post office would require a constitutional amendment. Presumbly, the point of eliminating most of the employees is because they are too well paid and then replace them with much lower paid employees. Probably the unions wouldn't allow that under the labor contract. I think postmen certainly are not paid too much, considering the extremes in the weather they work under, the physical effort of the job and then the dogs. Besides, don't UPS employees get paid even better?

Snowman
07-29-2011, 11:46 PM
We do that now anyhow - we just don't charge the users, we charge society as a whole. People choosing an efficient lifestyle are paying for people who choose to live in places that require greater and greater sums of money to support. All services would still be available, the price would just reflect the true cost of providing them. The private sector already does this. Only government chooses to ignore the laws of economics. Try getting 4G cell service in Crossroad Corners, Oklahoma. From the private sector it isn't even available there but if it was a government operation it would be provided and the cost would be passed on to all users, and not the ones generating the extra cost. As for roads, maybe higher property taxes for people in remote areas is in order. 2 miles of pavement in Piedmont cost the same as 2 miles of pavement in the urban core. The difference is the 2 miles of pavement in the urban core will serve 50X as many users, and while it need more repairs, there are still far more people to split the bill with.

Government has strayed too far from economic reality for far too long.

In the case of city streets in different cities cost is hardly a factor because it is the cities paying for it, so the citizens of that location pay the bill. In the case of rural highways and urban interstates costs are nowhere near identical, the cost of 10 miles of rural highway would not pay for either an interstate bridge or the ramps at an interchange.

BBatesokc
07-30-2011, 05:47 AM
Those two things would be difficult to do. Probably privatizing the post office would require a constitutional amendment. Presumbly, the point of eliminating most of the employees is because they are too well paid and then replace them with much lower paid employees. Probably the unions wouldn't allow that under the labor contract. I think postmen certainly are not paid too much, considering the extremes in the weather they work under, the physical effort of the job and then the dogs. Besides, don't UPS employees get paid even better?

I have no idea what it would take, but I firmly believe (based on my limited knowledge) it is the best solution. Yes, they need to clean house of overpaid/abundance of employees. I really don't see how anyone justifies a postman making $70K+ (in Oklahoma) for delivering mostly junk mail. Throw in the retirement and other union strong-armed benefits and it has almost completely killed the USPS.

As for the UPS salary comparison - last time I checked, UPS was very profitable (so, that's a HUGE difference).

usmbubba
07-30-2011, 04:35 PM
I don't make $70K + a year

Bunty
07-30-2011, 10:00 PM

It's surely closer to $50,000. Some people won't work for that much to get out in the heat and cold.

BBatesokc
07-30-2011, 11:18 PM
The postman who recently was allowed to retire after they caught him stealing people's $5 Walmart promotional gift cards along his route was making $72K a year.

Just the facts
07-30-2011, 11:33 PM

I'll bet you do in total compensation. There is a big difference between what your paycheck adds up to and the cost of employing you. Your take home pay isn't what is killing the post office, it is the cost to employ you that is killing the post office. For example, how much do you pay for health insurance? How much do you think the total cost of your insurance is?

I use the term 'you' in the generic sense, as it is possible you started working for the Post Office last week.

ljbab728
07-31-2011, 01:53 AM
I'll bet you do in total compensation. There is a big difference between what your paycheck adds up to and the cost of employing you. Your take home pay isn't what is killing the post office, it is the cost to employ you that is killing the post office. For example, how much do you pay for health insurance? How much do you think the total cost of your insurance is?

I use the term 'you' in the generic sense, as it is possible you started working for the Post Office last week.

Kerry, I think I would be careful about turning this into "lets bash the postal workers" unless you are absolutely sure you know what you're talking about. People could probably argue that you don't provide enough value to warrant your income also even if it's private.

usmbubba
07-31-2011, 04:17 AM
Bunty is right, just a shade over 50K, I've been there 18 years, and we do get good medical benefits but it sure ain't 20K worth!

BBatesokc
07-31-2011, 05:45 AM
I believe the salary of the specific case I referred to was with benefits (insurance and vacation, etc.). I think his paycheck equalled out to about $57K. My only point is that it would be great to pay them $80K/yr but the reality is it is not profitable to pay high wages, insurance and retirement for this particular service/business. If privately ran and not subject to union BS it would probably be more along the line of of well paid retail workers. Of course that alone would not save the USPS, but I'm sure would be extremely helpful. I just hope the future finds a way to eliminate USPS for the vast majority. Other than packages sent from Ebay sellers or retailers that choose USPS over UPS, we get NOTHING but junk in our mail box.

Just the facts
08-01-2011, 07:46 AM
Kerry, I think I would be careful about turning this into "lets bash the postal workers" unless you are absolutely sure you know what you're talking about. People could probably argue that you don't provide enough value to warrant your income also even if it's private.

That is up to the person that pays me to decide so you can speculate away, it doesn't matter to me. However, my employer isn't losing billions of dollars per year and on the verge of going out of business.

BTW - I also know what I am talking about.

http://www.post-office-jobs.com/Postal-Jobs/compensation.html

ljbab728
08-01-2011, 09:33 PM
That is up to the person that pays me to decide so you can speculate away, it doesn't matter to me. However, my employer isn't losing billions of dollars per year and on the verge of going out of business.

BTW - I also know what I am talking about.

http://www.post-office-jobs.com/Postal-Jobs/compensation.html

There's nothing there indicating that any additional benefits total $20,000 per year which is what you were implying.

ou48A
08-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Has anyone ever been to the Kenton post office?
It was a lot like stepping into Sam Druckers post office on the TV show Green Acers, bars and all

Larry OKC
08-01-2011, 10:08 PM
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Gov benefits were in the $20K neighborhood. By the time you include vacation days, sick days, leave, insurance etc etc etc it can add up fairly quickly. My employer told us that the middle of the road benefits that they provided were around $10K/per employee

ljbab728
08-01-2011, 10:20 PM
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Gov benefits were in the $20K neighborhood. By the time you include vacation days, sick days, leave, insurance etc etc etc it can add up fairly quickly. My employer told us that the middle of the road benefits that they provided were around $10K/per employee

Maybe you count vacation days, sick days, leave, etc. as monetary benefits. I don't. They won't put any money in my pocket unless I decide to get a part time job for those days that I'm off. I won't argue about being expenses for the business though.

Larry OKC
08-02-2011, 12:57 AM
I don't count them, but the employer can and sometimes does 9esp if they are trying to explain why there aren't going to be raises or they aren't going to be as much as before type of thing). There was talk by some to start taxing the employee for those things (especially insurance plans), basically as taxable income. I am with you, my pay is what I take home after they take out all of the taxes etc. Like when there was talk about how much public safety folks make (by the Oklahoman and the City), it is my understanding that they often included the benefits in that number.