View Full Version : Wood Partners excused from developing "The Hill"

Patrick
03-30-2005, 12:04 AM
Looks like one developer is now out of the running for "The Hill" development. Wood Partners has been excused. They had proposed a complete loft apartment development.

This leaves The Hill at Bricktown which would build several upscale homes (resembles a suburban housing addition IMO), and Walnut Hill Partners led by Anthony McDermid with TAP Architecture, wanting to incorporate this into the Town Center concept by building a mix of owned brownstone residences and rental lofts, along with a mix of retail, restaurants, etc.. For more info. see the post below.

I think Urban Renewal will make a huge mistake if they choose The Hill at Bricktown. They're asking for huge public subsidies and it's basically a suburban housing addition with no rental options. Walnut Hill Partners present a more urban alternative with a mix of owned town homes and rental lofts, plus their financing is in place.

------------------
"And then there were two: Wood Partners excused from Urban Renewal contest to develop The Hill

by Brandice J. O'Brien
The Journal Record
3/29/2005

Two groups wait in limbo. The third, Wood Partners, was excused Monday from the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority decision-making process for the redevelopment of "The Hill." A verdict may be announced within 10 days.
"It's a clear consensus that there are two that are more desirable of the three," said Dan Batchelor, president of the Center for Economic Development Law, who was present at the meeting.

Walnut Hill Redeveloper Partners and The Hill at Bricktown move a step closer to the final decision of which group will redevelop the property between Interstate 235 and Stiles Avenue to the east and west and near NE Second Street and a railroad with the right of way to the north and south.

A ruling was not made Monday because voting member Larry Nichols was absent from the meeting.

"I know the importance that commissioners put on The Hill and they want to have all five there," said JoeVan Bullard, executive director of Urban Renewal and a non-voting member. "Early this morning we found out that one would be missing."

The decision will come after both groups provide additional information to Urban Renewal.

"We are looking forward to visiting with the Urban Renewal staff and further qualifying our proposal," said Anthony McDermid, principal of TAParchitecture and member of Walnut Hill. "I think we've worked on this for a couple of years and we're getting very close to a decision and we're enthusiastic to move forward."

Walnut Hill offered Ellison on the Park, a community that combines residential living and a retail environment. Condominiums and townhouses are included in the plan.

The second plan in consideration consists of townhouses with two-car garages in an upscale community, presented by The Hill at Bricktown.

"We've created a truly special place with The Hill at Bricktown, encompassing the renewal of the older town center and bring a vibrancy and quality to the center of Oklahoma City where residents can live, work and play," said William Canfield, one of the principals in The Hill at Bricktown. "We have every reason to believe this development will transform urban Oklahoma City, providing scale, scope and architectural diversity within a unified theme that will honor the area's rich history and enhance the surrounding development and complement future development."

Representatives from Wood Partners, which proposed Alta Bricktown, an upscale apartment complex could not be reached for comment.

It's not guaranteed that a decision will come within 10 days, but it's certainly the goal.

"Commissioners indicated in the next week to 10 days," said Shaun Frankfurt, managing director at Trammell Crow and member of Walnut Hill."

Patrick
03-30-2005, 12:05 AM
For those of you that may need to be refreshed on the three original proposals, check this out:

"Three groups pitch housing for coveted downtown area
By Steve Lackmeyer
Staff Writer

Three development groups are pitching residential projects valued between $22.1 million and $36.7 million for one of Oklahoma City's most coveted downtown properties. The 12.6 acres, on what is known as the "hill" at NE 1 and Stiles, overlooks Deep Deuce, Bricktown and the health-sciences district with a view of the downtown skyline.

Two of the proposals delivered Wednesday to the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority are linked to other nearby developments.
------------
(1) Atlanta-based Wood Partners, listed No. 6 among the country's top 50 apartment complex builders by Builder Magazine, proposes building 300 lofts in a series of three- story buildings.

The project would be designed by Architectural Design Group and would be planned to connect with a $12 million residential, retail and office development by Robert Meinders on Sheridan Avenue dubbed "the Steel Yard."

Project architect Scott Dedmon said the two projects would be owned by different developers, but would be designed as part of one master plan.

The apartments would be lofts, he said, featuring stained floors, exposed duct work and 10-foot-high ceilings.

Dedmon called the hill one of downtown's most valuable sites for new housing.

"It's in the core of everything right now with everything going on in Bricktown, downtown and the health sciences center," Dedmon said.
-----------
(2)Walnut Hill Redevelopment Partners, meanwhile, would build 84 lofts and 134 brownstone residences in conjunction with a development just north of the property dubbed "Oklahoma City Town Center."

The team includes Town Center developers Pat Garrett, Bert Belanger and Anthony McDermid, and Somerset Partners, which bought the existing 294-unit Deep Deuce Apartments last year.

As part of the proposal, Somerset promises to build new for-sale brownstones on several Deep Deuce properties the company owns but has not been developed.

Project architect Hans Butzer said the proposal also suggests the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority consider buying adjacent land owned by the Oklahoma Transportation Department to allow for possible development of an $11 million residential high-rise.

"It's a high profile site, immediately adjacent to the highway, and while it's not a part of this property, it really would make a great location for a high rise," Butzer said.

The proposal by Butzer's team calls for a mix of rental lofts, live/work spaces along Stiles Avenue, townhomes for sale.

"This project needs to re-establish our standard for downtown housing," Butzer said. "While Deep Deuce was good, it's not at a quality we're all looking for."
-------------
(3)The third proposal by The Hill at Bricktown LLC. suggests building 141 upscale homes in a development that would make a strong connection to Deep Deuce's history as a former black business and entertainment district.

Homes and streets would be named after historic figures and places, while all three developments propose memorials to Deep Deuce literary legend Ralph Ellison.

Those involved with Hill at Bricktown LLC include Oklahoma City historic preservationist Marva Ellard; William Canfield, founder of Novazyme Pharmaceuticals, and oilman and contractor Steve Clark.

Ellard said Canfield became interested in the development after trying to recruit scientists to work in the nearby health research park.

"The lack of downtown housing for sale became a drawback in getting people to move here," Ellard said. "A lot of professionals were accustomed to living in an urban environment."

Ellard said homes would sell between $175,000 and $340,000.

JoeVan Bullard, urban renewal director, said representatives from surrounding areas will be asked to review the proposals, with presentations to be made to the agency's commissioners in January.

"With the proposals that came in, I think we definitely do have a market for homes for sale," he said.

Bullard said commissioners want to see construction started by late 2005.

"One of the discussion points with the commissioners as they visit with the three teams will be, 'Are you ready to go?'" Bullard said. "We believe the market is there, and the sooner we can hit that, the better."
----------
The proposals

(1) Alta Bricktown
Developer: Wood Partners.
Designer: Architectural Design Group.
Cost: $22.1 million.
Proposal: 300 loft apartments leasing between $735 and $1,035 a month.

(2)The Hill
Developer: Walnut Hill Redevelopment Partners.
Designer: TAParchitecture.
Cost: $36.7 million.
Proposal: 84 loft rental apartments, 134 Brownstone residences for sale.

(3)The Hill at Bricktown
Developers: The Hill at Bricktown LLC.
Designer: Humphreys & Partners Architects.
Cost: $34.4 million.
Proposal: 141 upscale homes for sale. "

Patrick
03-30-2005, 12:13 AM
"The proposal by Butzer's team calls for a mix of rental lofts, live/work spaces along Stiles Avenue, townhomes for sale."

IMO this should spell the winning ticket for Walnut Hill Partners! If they lose, OCURA is biased. OCURA keeps saying they want a plan that includes solid financing with little public subsidies, and a mix of rental and owned properties. You've got it! Go for Walnut Hill Partners!

Patrick
03-30-2005, 12:17 AM
I encourage everyone to contact OCURA today even if you've already done so.

Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority
204 N Robinson Ave Ste 2400
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

(405) 235-3771

xrayman
03-30-2005, 01:12 AM
"I think Urban Renewal will make a huge mistake if they choose The Hill at Bricktown.

I couldn't agree more, Patrick. You are 100% right and it's not even close. But "quiet corruption" can play a role at times like this and we must let OCURA know that we are watching.

Patrick
03-30-2005, 08:16 AM
I find it interesting that they specifically wanted to wait for Larry Nichols to be present to vote. If I remember right, he was the one that was so much in favor of The Hill at Bricktown. Argh.

I see The Hill at Bricktown has now listed their development as townhomes with 2 car garages. Still, I think the Walnut Hill Partners have a more urban development, with a mix of retail and residential, and a mix of owned and rental. You can't get much more urban than multilevel brownstone residences.
Isn't this what OCURA said they were looking for? If they choose The Hill at Bricktown, OCURA is a bunch of hypocrites.

Midtowner
03-30-2005, 08:18 AM
I wonder who paid who what?

Patrick
03-30-2005, 09:24 PM
I do think the Alta Bricktown proposal by Wood Partners was a good one. I'd personally like to see OCURA offer them the opportunity to develop another site, maybe the old Mercy Hospital site that's sat vacant now for several years aftera failed attempt for a developer to build apartments there.

metro
03-31-2005, 11:10 AM
Patrick, It was Fred Jones Hall who appears to be steering this movement towards "The Hill at Bricktown" ??? last I checked this area was Deep Deuce and we need to remember that. I have been attending the OCURA meetings and I think we all need to let good ole boy Hall that we are watching and want a fair decision. Everyone contact him or OCURA and let them know "Ellison Park on the Hill" (misnamed in the article) is what would be best for the area, it incorporates everything desired, ownership, rental, retail, public space. the other is a private gated community

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I encourage everyone to contact OCURA today even if you've already done so.

Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority
204 N Robinson Ave Ste 2400
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

(405) 235-3771

soonerguru
03-31-2005, 11:03 PM
I have a very bad feeling that the stage is being set for Anthony McDermid's group to get the boot. Consider it a strong hunch.

The reason? It's too good. The solution is too right on to be accepted by Urban Renewal. Can anyone honestly remember the last time that organization -- or virtually any OKC entity -- made a purely great aesthetic decision? I cannot.

Also, the good ol' boy politics are at work here, particularly with Meinders' tangential relationship to the whole thing. Hans and Anthony better strap it on for the next round.

I will be personally sick if Ellison Park is not chosen for the development. It is perfect for the area and exactly what this city needs NOW! I agree with the above poster that the other development is a private gated community that would do little to enhance the urban vibe of the neighborhood.

Patrick
04-01-2005, 12:08 AM
I have a very bad feeling that the stage is being set for Anthony McDermid's group to get the boot. Consider it a strong hunch.

The reason? It's too good. The solution is too right on to be accepted by Urban Renewal. Can anyone honestly remember the last time that organization -- or virtually any OKC entity -- made a purely great aesthetic decision? I cannot.

Also, the good ol' boy politics are at work here, particularly with Meinders' tangential relationship to the whole thing. Hans and Anthony better strap it on for the next round.

I will be personally sick if Ellison Park is not chosen for the development. It is perfect for the area and exactly what this city needs NOW! I agree with the above poster that the other development is a private gated community that would do little to enhance the urban vibe of the neighborhood.

I concur. Unfortunately, OCURA usually picks the WRONG developer, or doesn't take the time to find the right developer (as with Lower Bricktown). I, like you, think McDermid will get the boot. If McDermid gets chosen I'm going to go to bed at a decent hour for an entire week! lol! Celebrate! I have a feeling I'll be keeping with my, go to bed at 3 AM routine, though.

xrayman
04-01-2005, 07:25 PM
It's all another reason for a STRONG MAYOR system of muni gov here in Oklahoma City. All of this kind of thing done by committee (and an old obsolete one as well) is just another argument in favor of my proposals. I say that not to open it up for discussion in this thread, but I just have to point out things - as they occur - to support my position on Strong Mayor.

downtownguy
04-01-2005, 08:49 PM
Because of the very charter for the urban renewal trust, would a strong mayor be any dfferent than what we have now in this situation? Currently, the mayor makes the appointments. And as trustees, they make the decisions. I don't see how this would not change under a strong mayor.

Patrick
04-04-2005, 01:18 AM
Because of the very charter for the urban renewal trust, would a strong mayor be any dfferent than what we have now in this situation? Currently, the mayor makes the appointments. And as trustees, they make the decisions. I don't see how this would not change under a strong mayor.

Very true. Thanks for clarifying this downtownguy! Our mayoe does indeed appoint OCURA trustees.