View Full Version : Is there actually a nautical map of such lakes as Hefner and Overholser?

Joe Kimball
07-25-2011, 01:23 PM
While thinking of nautical charts today, I realized that even though these lakes---reservoirs, really---are small things, indeed they attract a fair bit of sailing. And of course Lake Hefner has the lighthouse which, while diminutive, falls under the authority of the Coast Guard. Additionally there are buoys and the intake tower to stay away from (why is that, anyway, that you must stay away from the intake tower?).

So it led me to the question---are there maps, charts, to detail the buoys and hazards of these and other lakes that fall somewhere below the Gulf of Mexico and Nantucket Sound and so forth?

bluedogok
07-25-2011, 09:31 PM
The "lighthouse" was added as part of the East Wharf development, it is strictly decorative and not under the jurisdiction of the USCG.

I know there was a map at the Oklahoma City Boat Club showing buoy locations and the intake ports near the tower. The area above the intake ports are usually bubbling so you can see the location, you wanted to avoid them to keep from damaging the boat. It might not be much of an issue but with keelboats is it, the J-24 that we sailed has a draft of 4 feet, for most areas of Hefner that isn't a problem but it isn't something that you really want to test.

Snowman
07-25-2011, 09:42 PM
While thinking of nautical charts today, I realized that even though these lakes---reservoirs, really---are small things, indeed they attract a fair bit of sailing. And of course Lake Hefner has the lighthouse which, while diminutive, falls under the authority of the Coast Guard. Additionally there are buoys and the intake tower to stay away from (why is that, anyway, that you must stay away from the intake tower?).

So it led me to the question---are there maps, charts, to detail the buoys and hazards of these and other lakes that fall somewhere below the Gulf of Mexico and Nantucket Sound and so forth?

Doesn't it only fall under control of the Coast Guard if it is (or was) a navigable river or part of one (often by the dam that created the lake and makes the river no longer navigable upstream unless it has a lock)? Hefner has water pumped up to if from an man-made path. More than that I don't think the either the North Canadian or Canadian was considered navigable this far west at any point in time.

RadicalModerate
07-26-2011, 07:46 AM
Well . . .
There's this (Lake Overholser)
www.owrb.ok.gov/news/publications/wa/pdf_wa/overholser_bath.pdf

. . . and this (Lake Hefner)
www.owrb.ok.gov/news/publications/wa/pdf_wa/hefner_bath.pdf

But both of them say "NOT TO BE USED FOR NAVIGATION".

I suppose you could put your own notes on them.
(Sort of like charting alternative city bus routes.)

(I had no idea that Lake Overholser was so shallow.)

Joe Kimball
07-26-2011, 09:06 AM
I do know about the bathymetric maps. Very interesting. I too was surprised at the shallowness of Overholser; apparently special boats were designed for it.

But, the maps are indeed not for navigation. I'm wondering if these maps, such as the one described hanging up, are commercially available. I'd love to hang one up.

And: http://dev02.cgaux.org/generic/index.php?flo=085-16-06

And it says here it's working, though maybe that's changed since 2003? http://www.lighthousedepot.com/lite_digest.asp?action=get_article&sk=1733

bluedogok
07-26-2011, 07:19 PM
(I had no idea that Lake Overholser was so shallow.)
That is why it has to be dredged every so often, the silt from the North Canadian River settles in there quite a bit. Hefner is pretty deep for completely man made lake that is fed from a non-live water source.

CCOKC
08-03-2011, 09:43 PM
I was at a client's office a few weeks ago on an audit and he had an Oklahoma Lake Atlas. It was published by the OK Water Resources Board and had a map of every lake in the state by alphabetical order as well as information such as when the lake was built and the owner of the lake on each page. I found a link to their site http://www.owrb.ok.gov/news/publications/wa/lakesresources.php#EK.

Snowman
08-03-2011, 11:25 PM
That is why it has to be dredged every so often, the silt from the North Canadian River settles in there quite a bit. Hefner is pretty deep for completely man made lake that is fed from a non-live water source.

Now might be a good time to clear some dirt at Overholser, everything that is not more than 6 foot deep is exposed.

Larry OKC
08-04-2011, 04:01 PM
i am sure such things exist as i have seen one (buut couldn't tell you which lake) for a former employer well over a decade ago. It was "waterproof" in laminated panels that could be folded up like a regular road map. the boss wanted me to use $50 in color copier and laminating materials so he didn't have to buy another $20 real one. LOL