View Full Version : Who is Hot

Pages : [1] 2

edmondweather
07-22-2011, 10:38 AM
will this heat wave ever end looks like 100+ until september at this rate.

RadicalModerate
07-22-2011, 10:56 AM
Looking for the "silver lining [in the imaginary dark clouds]" at least the "heat" gives us an excuse not to get out in it and, instead, stay cool while posting in here . . .

I suppose that in The Larger Picture, it could be worse (to borrow a Minnesota/Dakota expression): We could be in the middle of another one of those freakish Mid-American ice storm/blizzard deals . . .

One quick suggestion? (in anticipation of the forecast):
Quit wasting potable water on your pet lawn.
Don't wait for the government to tell you not to do it.

Bostonfan
07-22-2011, 10:57 AM
who knows? In 2 weeks it could be flooding. Highly doubtful, but always possible. On a side note, have Accuweather on my iphone. I know it's not real realible, but it has temps in the 80's with rain next saturday as well as late the following week. What do they use to come up with this?

earlywinegareth
07-22-2011, 11:02 AM
Don't talk about it, don't think about it, you won't notice it.

Pete
07-22-2011, 11:08 AM
This is starting to approach the Heat Wave of 1980 where it was over 100 for 42 straight days and a total of 69 that summer.

I was a lifeguard in OKC then and remember the pool was so warm, it didn't even feel good to get in.

It's the one thing about Oklahoma I miss the least. Hate to be a gloating Californian but the high at my house today probably won't reach 80.

RadicalModerate
07-22-2011, 11:47 AM
I was helping frame some condos over in MWC . . .
That was One HOT SOB . . . Even fer a young guy.

But I hear it was worse back in '36.
And they didn't have air-conditioning.

(My wife is in San Diego: Temp: A Balmy Less-Than-Eighty.)

Oops! Almost forgot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdoYXdcqT54&feature=related

It isn't too often that the clip, above, can be segued into a conversation.
Or vice-versa.

venture
07-22-2011, 11:55 AM
This is starting to approach the Heat Wave of 1980 where it was over 100 for 42 straight days and a total of 69 that summer.

Here is a good graphic to use to compare how we are shaping up against 1980. Not quite the extreme you mentioned, but I think you might have been looking at Wichita Falls which did have 42 straight days and 79 days over 100. :-)

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/images/rtimages/oun/fxc_Special_Topic.jpg

venture
07-22-2011, 12:01 PM
who knows? In 2 weeks it could be flooding. Highly doubtful, but always possible. On a side note, have Accuweather on my iphone. I know it's not real realible, but it has temps in the 80's with rain next saturday as well as late the following week. What do they use to come up with this?

Not sure where they are getting it, but anything that far out of course doesn't really hold much water. Long range GFS has us 100+ through August 6th. Though there may be chance for isolated storms the next few days (including today) and getting into August. So that would get us to around 45 days of 100+...and I have a feeling we'll get at least 5 more days after that to tie the record.

skyrick
07-22-2011, 02:57 PM

Those are the stats for Dallas of that year. I live in the DFW area and Pete, Steve and Colleen (Channel 8 weather crew) remind us of those stats 2 or 3 times a day. According to this site http://www.srh.noaa.gov/oun/?n=climate-okc-heatwave the figures are 22 straight and 50 total for OKC in 1980.

But hey, if you think you can tell the difference between 99 and 109, you're fooling yourself. Hot is hot. Come on October!

Pete
07-22-2011, 03:03 PM
If it was that hot in DFW, OKC was within a few degrees, I assure you.

The bottom line is that is was right at 100 degrees virtually all summer and this one looks to be very similar.

earlywinegareth
07-22-2011, 03:16 PM
My personal high is 112 in Dallas (summer of '98). Bad, bad, bad! It was 102 the next day and you really could tell the difference. My personal high in OKC was from a week or so ago...109 I think?

The wind & humidity make a huge difference when it's that hot. We've had some horrible stagnant days, but if there's a breeze, it's bearable.

USG'60
07-22-2011, 03:54 PM
In the summer of '53 our backyard thermometer down in Mangum showed 120 and it WAS in the shade. Mom made us come in when we told her about it. What a party pooper.

rcjunkie
07-22-2011, 03:56 PM
I try to not think about the temp. here in OKC, but my oldest daughter lives in Lacey Washington and she sends me a text at least 2 times a day. The last text was about 30 minutes ago, all it said was 68 and cloudy.

BBatesokc
07-22-2011, 06:03 PM
Anyone have a Farmer's Almanac that can see what was predicted for this summer?

We had our AC go out last Saturday night. Ended up calling Hinton Refrigeration. Worst decision I've made in a long time. Took them three trips and two days to do what should have been done in one 45 minute service call and in the end they charged $484 for a new fan motor (part cost locally was only $112).

Celebrator
07-22-2011, 09:44 PM
It's really not the heat that's so bad, I just wish we would get a good thunderstorm at least once a week to go along with the high temps.

skyrick
07-23-2011, 12:43 PM
It's really not the heat that's so bad, I just wish we would get a good thunderstorm at least once a week to go along with the high temps.

I get so tired of our weatherpersons on TV explain that all of this hot weather is due to the high pressure cap that's settled over the southern plains. Come on McFarland Signature!

skyrick
07-23-2011, 12:52 PM
If it was that hot in DFW, OKC was within a few degrees, I assure you.

I know, I was living in OKC then. In fact I had a stroke on August 13th of that year; a blood clot in the brain, not a heat stroke. It was 105 that day as I rode my 10 speed home from work. When it hit me I fell off of my bike at the intersection of SW 29th and S. Meridian.

A belated thanks, 31 years later, to Dr Renee Willis at University Hospital, then on NE 13th.

bandnerd
07-23-2011, 12:53 PM
I keep having dreams that I check the 10-day and there is a break...like, 58 for a high kind of break lol.

A girl can dream...

jn1780
07-23-2011, 01:05 PM
I'm sure the utility crews will be glad when they don't have to run around fixing these broken water lines. They were down the my street the other night at 3:00 in the morning. Had to take out a neighbors brick mailbox to fix the line.

Achilleslastand
07-23-2011, 01:11 PM
I keep having dreams that I check the 10-day and there is a break...like, 58 for a high kind of break lol.

A girl can dream...

Hahaha..........I stopped watching the weather weeks ago as i figure its just going to be more of the same.

dmoor82
07-31-2011, 08:24 PM
REALLY!!!Hard to stay upbeat when you see this crap!http://services.trb.com/kfor/7day.jpg (http://www.4warn.com/weather/7day/)

jn1780
07-31-2011, 08:47 PM
REALLY!!!Hard to stay upbeat when you see this crap!http://services.trb.com/kfor/7day.jpg (http://www.4warn.com/weather/7day/)

You should have posted a picture of Emily talking about the heat. At least we would feel a little upbeat.

Larry OKC
07-31-2011, 09:36 PM
Oxymoron??? LOL

My personal high is 112 in Dallas (summer of '98). Bad, bad, bad! It was 102 the next day and you really could tell the difference. My personal high in OKC was from a week or so ago...109 I think?

The wind & humidity make a huge difference when it's that hot. We've had some horrible stagnant days, but if there's a breeze, it's bearable.
My mother was telling me it is cooler in Las Vegas than here (and it is a dry heat)

Achilleslastand
07-31-2011, 10:10 PM
You should have posted a picture of Emily talking about the heat. At least we would feel a little upbeat.

Or a pic of Sarah Libby. I look at at this way weve already had 6 or weeks of this so whats another 3 weeks.

HewenttoJared
08-01-2011, 05:30 AM
Yea man BUT IT'S A DRY HEAT

betts
08-01-2011, 07:18 AM
Or a pic of Sarah Libby. I look at at this way weve already had 6 or weeks of this so whats another 3 weeks.

Three weeks? It's been my experience that the heat usually continues through to about Sept. 15. At this point in time, I'd be thrilled if we only had three weeks left. I hate to wish a hurricane on anyone, but it seems like a hurricane in the Gulf usually breaks the hot weather wave.

BBatesokc
08-01-2011, 07:22 AM
I finally gave up on the raised bed garden in our back yard for this season. The plants appeared healthy enough, but simply would not produce edible fruit or vegetables. Seems wasteful to keep watering them with no return. Will try again next year.

PennyQuilts
08-01-2011, 08:40 AM

I was a lifeguard in OKC then and remember the pool was so warm, it didn't even feel good to get in.

I was pregnant and gave birth in August 1980. I win. =) My daughter has heard about this more often that she cares to. If the records fall, I am going to be soooo aggravated that I lost what little guilt thing I have going.

betts
08-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Me too, Penny, only my son was unlucky enough to be born on September 11th. That made his 21st birthday fall on THAT DAY. He was at the Naval Academy and they closed it and basically locked all the Midshipmen in for about five days. So much for celebrating your 21st. But, back to 1980. I was a first year medical student and the parking lot was at the corner of Lincoln Blvd and Stanton L. Young. I remember having to walk up the hill in the heat for three weeks 39 to 42 weeks pregnant. It was miserable. This year the heat is certainly more consistent, but I'm better able to deal with it.

ou48A
08-01-2011, 11:09 AM
But hey, if you think you can tell the difference between 99 and 109, you're fooling yourself.

If you work outside preforming hard labor day after day and all day as I did in the summer of 1980 I guarantee we could all feel the difference between 99 and 109. At the time we even talked about it.
I worked a summer NG pipeline maintenance job. Try putting on hot pipe dope in that type of weather.

Pete
08-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Hottest month ever for both the state and OKC:

http://newsok.com/july-was-hottest-month-on-record-in-oklahoma/article/3590733?custom_click=lead_story_title

ou48A
08-01-2011, 11:40 AM
If we don’t get good rain early this fall there will be a decent chance that we will start seeing dustbowl like conditions every time the wind blows. It will be the stuff of our grandfathers.

Dust in the wind, all we are is dust in the wind…….

Bill Robertson
08-01-2011, 01:19 PM
But hey, if you think you can tell the difference between 99 and 109, you're fooling yourself. I agree also. Today is 104 at the moment. The next 95 degree day will feel cool.

I also worked outside in 1980. I was an electrician and was wiring handful of houses in Oak Tree. Of all the years I worked outside that one sticks. You can definitely tell the difference between 90 something and 100 something.

As a side note with my apologies to PennyQuilts. If we're going to be this hot and have to put up with the heat we might as well set new records. You'll have to find a new guilt factor to hold over your kids.

Bill Robertson
08-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Dust in the wind, all we are is dust in the wind…….

Off topic a little but one of the best songs ever recorded. And possibly very pertinent to our drought situation.

ou48A
08-01-2011, 02:32 PM
Off topic a little but one of the best songs ever recorded. And possibly very pertinent to our drought situation.

I believe some of the Kansas band members are from western Kansas
Having lived in far western Kansas for a time where the dirt blows even in the wettest of years I learnd to understand the inspiration for the song. In the end, we really are all just dust in the wind.

Such is life on the open prairie where dust and heat go hand in hand.

PS: I have known dozens of people who lived in the heart of the dust bowl.

Bill Robertson
08-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Also a little off topic and something that could make those who don't already think I'm totally off my rocker.

As a long time facility services manager I have access to all the commercial chemicals for both the evaporator and condenser coil cleaning in addition to bulk filters. So my A/C system is way more clean than the better-than-average system. The one thing I can't do is connect gauges to the system and check refrigerant charge because I don't have the equipment or license to do so. I have never, ever had a contractor out to the house to service my A/C system. This year, about the first of June, the little voice inside my head told me to have a contractor I use at work come check my system. It was over a pound low on refrigerant. After he left noticed the A/C cycling off even during the hottest days, and keeping the house on what we set the thermostat on. Both things did not happen if over 98 or so since the system was installed. I'm glad I listened to that little voice inside my head.

skyrick
08-01-2011, 03:11 PM

That's what I'm saying! Today (8-1) is Day 31 of consecutive 100+ days in Dallas/Ft Worth. Let's continue on for another 12-14 days and set a new record! I don't think we'll break DFW's record for total 100+ days (69) though.

dmoor82
08-01-2011, 03:37 PM
^^Wow,I had to check those stats and thats correct,Dallas has been at or above 100 38 times this year while OKC is at 39 and Tulsa might even be higher!

dmoor82
08-01-2011, 03:46 PM
That's what I'm saying! Today (8-1) is Day 31 of consecutive 100+ days in Dallas/Ft Worth. Let's continue on for another 12-14 days and set a new record! I don't think we'll break DFW's record for total 100+ days (69) though.
^^69 days is unreal!

jn1780
08-01-2011, 04:39 PM
Will probably crash to the lower 90's in one day when the heat wave does end.

PennyQuilts
08-01-2011, 05:35 PM
Me too, Penny, only my son was unlucky enough to be born on September 11th. That made his 21st birthday fall on THAT DAY. He was at the Naval Academy and they closed it and basically locked all the Midshipmen in for about five days. So much for celebrating your 21st. But, back to 1980. I was a first year medical student and the parking lot was at the corner of Lincoln Blvd and Stanton L. Young. I remember having to walk up the hill in the heat for three weeks 39 to 42 weeks pregnant. It was miserable. This year the heat is certainly more consistent, but I'm better able to deal with it.

Wow, your boy really picked a day, didn't he? You must be proud of him. Are you a doctor?

PennyQuilts
08-01-2011, 05:38 PM
As a side note with my apologies to PennyQuilts. If we're going to be this hot and have to put up with the heat we might as well set new records. You'll have to find a new guilt factor to hold over your kids.

I may have to get sick or something and whine because they never come see me and I am probably going to end up in a home and not remember them and if they cared anything about their mother they would call, damn it.

PennyQuilts
08-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Also a little off topic and something that could make those who don't already think I'm totally off my rocker.

As a long time facility services manager I have access to all the commercial chemicals for both the evaporator and condenser coil cleaning in addition to bulk filters. So my A/C system is way more clean than the better-than-average system. The one thing I can't do is connect gauges to the system and check refrigerant charge because I don't have the equipment or license to do so. I have never, ever had a contractor out to the house to service my A/C system. This year, about the first of June, the little voice inside my head told me to have a contractor I use at work come check my system. It was over a pound low on refrigerant. After he left noticed the A/C cycling off even during the hottest days, and keeping the house on what we set the thermostat on. Both things did not happen if over 98 or so since the system was installed. I'm glad I listened to that little voice inside my head.

That was good that you took care of that. This sort of weather is nothing to fool around with.

I do believe today is the worse feeling day of the year, for me. I don't know if the humidity is up or what but it hurts to even open the door and normally I enjoy the heat.

USG'60
08-01-2011, 06:37 PM

I have always been told that when the unit cycles of and on alot it means that the unit has too much "tonage" and that that had 2 major down sides. One is that it does not remove as much humitity and the other is that it wears the unit out quicker. If I am wrong about that I need to know because we may be replacing ours soon and we are on the border between requiring 2 1/2 tons and 3. I don't want to move up if it is a mistake.

Bill Robertson
08-02-2011, 06:45 AM
I have always been told that when the unit cycles of and on alot it means that the unit has too much "tonage" and that that had 2 major down sides. One is that it does not remove as much humitity and the other is that it wears the unit out quicker. If I am wrong about that I need to know because we may be replacing ours soon and we are on the border between requiring 2 1/2 tons and 3. I don't want to move up if it is a mistake.
It is true that you don't want the unit so over sized that it cools the area too quickly and cycles on and off too often. But you don't want it so small that it's running constantly and barely keeping up. The idea is to hit right in the middle. If your current unit is not running constantly to keep up in this heat wave I don't think I would go bigger. If it is you can probably go one size bigger.

Roadhawg
08-02-2011, 07:07 AM
I live in a rental house with an old small unit and it runs all the damn time and I have it set at 78-80 :(

kevinpate
08-02-2011, 07:50 AM
I am hot, and will be until a while after the repairman comes and goes. Hopeful it will only be for a while. Do not know the nature of the problem yet. Wasn't a real happy camper before this latest bite, and this isn't a step forward.

sacolton
08-02-2011, 08:08 AM
Just glad I work indoors in a building that has working A/C. :)

ou48A
08-02-2011, 09:15 AM
http://www.mesonet.org/

At 10AM several places in Oklahoma have already reached 100 or more

Swake2
08-02-2011, 09:19 AM
^^Wow,I had to check those stats and thats correct,Dallas has been at or above 100 38 times this year while OKC is at 39 and Tulsa might even be higher!

Today will "only" be day 30 for Tulsa. But we will make up for with the new NWS forecast for all time high for tomorrow of 116 degrees passing the previous record of 115 from August 10th, 1936.

betts
08-02-2011, 09:46 AM
Wow, your boy really picked a day, didn't he? You must be proud of him. Are you a doctor?

Yes and I'm still at the Health Sciences Center but I now pay to park indoors right next to the hospital. It's well worth the money.

venture
08-02-2011, 09:55 AM
It is going to be sad when it cools off to the 90s and we bust out the parkas. :-P

ou48A
08-02-2011, 10:18 AM
http://www.mesonet.org/
104 in Norman at 11:05 am

Pete
08-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Is there another city in the U.S. with such extreme temperature swings?

OKC has these incredibly brutal summers -- among the hottest non-desert cities anywhere -- but also periods of extreme cold, ice storms and blizzards. And of course, those crazy storms in the spring and wild wind year-round, but particularly in the fall.

There are certainly colder places and maybe even slightly hotter ones -- but few have both extremes.

ou48A
08-02-2011, 12:05 PM
For a major city perhaps Denver or KC have a larger yearly Temp swing.
But the further north you go on the high plains the more extreme the Temp swings can be.
The all-time high in North Dakota is 121. Its 120 in Oklahoma
The all-time low (without wind chill) in North Dakota is -60. In Oklahoma its -31
From about Amarillo on north the wind chills are also far , far worse and the blizzards are much worse and they sometimes don’t melt until the spring thaw from about Kansas on to the north. I have seen it snow in Kansas every month of the year except June, July and August.

Our Oklahoma weather can be extreme but I like to think that it helps to makes us more resilient, tougher and this time of year its usually good 2 a day weather.

ou48A
08-02-2011, 12:51 PM
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=35.39800594715108&lon=-97.6025390625&site=oun&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

The forecasted high for OKC tomorrow is 112.
That’s the highest temp forecast I have ever seen for OKC

adaniel
08-02-2011, 12:56 PM
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=35.39800594715108&lon=-97.6025390625&site=oun&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

The forecasted high for OKC tomorrow is 112.
That’s the highest temp forecast I have ever seen for OKC

Our all time high was 113 but that was in 1936.

At this point we might as well beat it. Go big or go home, right?

Pete
08-02-2011, 01:00 PM
ou48A, I didn't mean the biggest difference between highs and lows... I meant that OKC seems unique in being among the hottest places around yet still getting cold, crappy winter weather too.

Denver and places further north don't get these brutal summers.

cameron_405
08-02-2011, 01:11 PM
...[blizzard] blast from our not-so-distant past --

Snow (http://www.flickriver.com/photos/cameron_405/sets/72157625874688687/)

Achilleslastand
08-02-2011, 01:13 PM
You have to look on the positive side of things.
I look for things to cool down a bit at the end of August beginning of Sept even a 10 or 15 degree drop would be welcome.