View Full Version : VIVID SYDNEY Light Festival - Let's Bring One to OKC

FritterGirl
07-21-2011, 09:42 AM
As OKC continues to improve and gain major inroads on our capital development, it's time we start looking at additional ways to attract folks to our city.

A friend posted a video on her fb account the other day, and I got to thinking, with the new lights at the MBG (and potentially on the Devon tower), wouldn't it be a fabulous idea to step it up a notch and create something similar to their annual festival of lights in Sydney, Australia, VIVID SYDNEY.

I'm linking to the main website here, but there are lots of user-posted participant videos up on youtube that are just mind blowing.

I'd love to see Downtown OKC or another similar entity take this on as a counter-balance to Downtown in December. A great summer, outdoor downtown event, with lots of activities around by the Civic Center and City Hall, Gardens, Automobile Alley, Bricktown and the Oklahoma River.

http://vividsydney.com/

MikeLucky
07-21-2011, 10:09 AM
As OKC continues to improve and gain major inroads on our capital development, it's time we start looking at additional ways to attract folks to our city.

A friend posted a video on her fb account the other day, and I got to thinking, with the new lights at the MBG (and potentially on the Devon tower), wouldn't it be a fabulous idea to step it up a notch and create something similar to their annual festival of lights in Sydney, Australia, VIVID SYDNEY.

I'm linking to the main website here, but there are lots of user-posted participant videos up on youtube that are just mind blowing.

I'd love to see Downtown OKC or another similar entity take this on as a counter-balance to Downtown in December. A great summer, outdoor downtown event, with lots of activities around by the Civic Center and City Hall, Gardens, Automobile Alley, Bricktown and the Oklahoma River.

http://vividsydney.com/

I love it... I think it would be great for OKC to do something like this. I could see it being focused around Christmas with what Chesapeake and Automobile Alley already do... just an idea.

But, it would be cool to see something like that here. It would spur businesses and communities alike to try and out-do each other each year and it's something that could really mushroom.

Pete
07-21-2011, 10:40 AM
Awesome idea!

Would work particularly well with all those international style buildings downtown; lots of flat surfaces to project upon.

And I have the perfect man to head this: Rand Elliott!

FritterGirl
07-21-2011, 11:15 AM
Of all of the displays, I think one of my favorites is the interactive display where the lights are connected to stationary bicycles. In order to light up this area, people have to hop on and get to peddling!

ljbab728
07-21-2011, 11:28 PM
That reminds me of what Hong Kong has been doing for several years. The show really starts at about 1 1/2 minutes. The Chinese have been pioneers in this type of thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gad5_-0o0Ec&feature=player_detailpage

cameron_405
07-22-2011, 12:02 AM
...Parisians have been dressing up the Eiffel Tower for over one hundred years with various forms of lighting -- love what they're doing with LEDs.

WOAt4GQ1_Pc

The light show design is by Bernard Schmitt & Jacques Rouveyrollis, implemented by Citelum with Magnum.

With the intent of giving everyone an opportunity to see this must-see event being offered to Parisians, the light show will be presented four times each evening, at 8pm, 9pm, 10pm and 11pm.

J4QFU7yXVhg

Following the 5 minutes during which the tower sparkles, this special light display will last another 12 minutes, starting with a dynamic light sequence evoking the extraordinary construction site of the Tower. Next a shower of light, revolving from level to level, facetted, stroboscopic, rhythmic, color blending…a splendid tribute to the Eiffel Tower and its majestic structure. During the light show, the other facades of the monument will contribute an element to the choreography. Also, images will be projected onto the ground below.

SETE, the operating company of the Eiffel Tower, has taken numerous other steps in the direction of energy saving solutions: a green electricity contract, light bulb changes in 2005 that reduced energy consumption by 30%, system software that controls the hours of lighting and heating, and finally, the hourly sparkling lights have been reduced from 10 to five minutes every evening on the hour.

sYHQ8hkFGLE

A lighting display to mark the 120th anniversary of the Eiffel Tower uses 400 RGB LED spotlights from Iluminarc on one of its four facades.
The Eiffel Tower is celebrating its 120th anniversary, and in honor of the occasion Parisians and visitors will be able to enjoy a spectacular light display every evening from October 22 to December 31, 2009.

According to the official Tower website, LED spotlights will be used to illuminate the Trocadero facade of the Tower using color, movement and modulation, offering a “magical and awesome” show.

The dynamic lighting shows are made possible by more than 400 Ilumipod 48 IP RGBW wash lights from Iluminarc, which have been installed on the Trocadero façade of the monument (see Iluminarc press release).

In addition to the innovative multiple lighting possibilities, this latest technology offers high performance at low energy consumption levels, lower than those of traditional lighting fixtures already used to light the Tower.

metro
07-22-2011, 01:32 PM
So like Devon and the Crystal Bridge could have a light show everynight? Wow how exciting..........

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTlgeh_hklfo4gn6rL_MeVqsNy8m7uXk v25g5dxeSbyX186yZ0n7A

We're not Hong Kong with hundreds of towers lit up, we are talking one tower and one plastic tube. It wouldn't be that fascinating to outsiders.

Thunder
07-22-2011, 01:49 PM
Metro, the tube is not plastic. Its made of glass and steel.

I will never expect this for OKC, because we can see the trend is not catching on with Devon and MBG. Why? The other skyscrapers are not being retrofitted with the lights, so count those out. To make it even more sad, the pedestrian bridge does not even have any lighting planned...which is a major Fail grade for the project.

It be at least 10 to 20 years before we see another skyscraper go up, even though the workers at concrete company (starts with D) has been whispering highly-reliable rumor of another monster skyscraper to go up right after Devon is completed, but nothing official is coming out on that.

FritterGirl
07-22-2011, 02:05 PM
Thunder,

Hate to burst your bubble, but the Crystal Bridge tiles are made out of a polymer acrylic. They are not glass.

As far as the original post, the idea behind "vivid" is NOT to make it a permanent display, but an annual "event" where light and music can interplay in new and inventive ways. While the MBG and Devon tower may have new lights, I can tell you that from the MBG perspective, at least, they'll NOT run a full light show at the Crystal Bridge every night but will save the system's full capabilities for special events and holidays. Basic lights will be run every night.

In one area in Sydney during the Festival, you go into a garden area where they have tube lights that have been formed into a large sculptural mass. The lights only come on when people ride bicycles that generate the energy to light them. As such, the "sculpture" is constantly changing and moving based upon the number of people generating energy for it at any given time.

You could have light "events" from Automobile Alley, to Bricktown, to the OK River to the MBG and Civic Center Music Hall.

This would be apart and different from just the "Devon Tower and plastic tube."

Vivid is entertainment in and of itself and goes beyond just the norm. THAT is the point.

OPERA HOUSE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep5uWoJeetc)

GOVERNMENT HOUSE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8RV0di7TSA&feature=related) <-- this could be at the Civic Center or City Hall

There are countless opportunities here.

metro
07-22-2011, 05:31 PM
Now that customs house is wicked cool. What type of projector system would be needed and at what cost?

ljbab728
07-23-2011, 12:02 AM
To make it even more sad, the pedestrian bridge does not even have any lighting planned...which is a major Fail grade for the project.

Totally wrong, Thunder. Where did you get that idea?

Thunder
07-23-2011, 12:16 AM
Totally wrong, Thunder. Where did you get that idea?

I didn't see one mention of it the whole time. :-(

rcjunkie
07-23-2011, 04:15 AM
I didn't see one mention of it the whole time. :-(

Then maybe try getting facts before posting!!

metro
07-23-2011, 09:20 AM
Thunder, do you ever read and research before spewing out stuff